PDA

View Full Version : One step closer...

Oso
04-24-2006, 06:21 PM
...to being that ornery old man.

I was driving down a street today and stopped because the car in front of me was getting ready to parallel park...and a skateboard punk zips past me on the right, vears in front of me and around the front end of the car parallel parking causing that driver to freak out and almost hit the car behind her because she thought she was about to hit someone.

After the car finished parking I continued down the street to find myself coming up on this jerk cruising in the center of the lane. :D oh, the temptation...but, no, I just laid on the horn and made him almost bail. He flipped me off when I went by him and I hit the brakes and he jumped of the board and ran for the sidewalk.

it's the little things in life that make me happy. :)

SevenStar
04-25-2006, 12:26 AM
keep up the good work :D

Oso
04-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Thanks. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

Especially now, in this town. We just elected an all liberal town council with a liberal mayor. Up till now, it's been very balanced between the town council and the mayor. Neither side has been able to do what they wanted completely at will.

Kinda scary, the yippies have taken over. :eek:

Judge Pen
04-25-2006, 04:27 AM
:eek: You mean there's yippies in Asheville? :D

Seroiusly, Asheville is a great place; I love visiting there.

Oso
04-25-2006, 05:32 AM
yea, my new landlords are perfect examples.

They are less than 30 years old, had some sort of inheritance and bought this 1922 building I'm in. They are clueless about the maintenance issues which is good for me as I've been doing some lucrative side work for them.

Half of the windows/doors are new and half of them are original wrought iron windows. The new windows/doors are double paned and much more efficient at conserving heat/cooling. They are planning to rip them all out and replace with more original windows and doors for the 'look'. I couldn't help but point out that if they do that they could count on their electrical bill to increase dramatically.:rolleyes:

Judge Pen
04-25-2006, 05:53 AM

They are less than 30 years old, had some sort of inheritance and bought this 1922 building I'm in. They are clueless about the maintenance issues which is good for me as I've been doing some lucrative side work for them.

Half of the windows/doors are new and half of them are original wrought iron windows. The new windows/doors are double paned and much more efficient at conserving heat/cooling. They are planning to rip them all out and replace with more original windows and doors for the 'look'. I couldn't help but point out that if they do that they could count on their electrical bill to increase dramatically.:rolleyes:

If its that important to them to have "the look" then aren't there architects that can provide the original look with the modern efficiency? It costs more, but isn't that important. Plus, it would further the energy savings which is important in this age of fossil fuel dependence and global warming.

I'm just saying. . . .

Ray Pina
04-25-2006, 06:11 AM
I am very often that skateboard punk!

This is how I see it:

The street is a lot smoother than the sidewalk so its better to use to get across town (some of us don't drive everywhere, some of us don't even have cars).

So, a car is stopped in the slow lane and is looking to back into a spot so I can't pass them on the right .... that would interfere with the person parking. And oh, here's a guy behind them who didn't realise she was going to park .... you'd think the break lights in the middle of an open lane would have been a good hint .... so I'll break left, pass both of them as quick as possible, and then go back to hugging the side of the road as close to the parked cars as possible.

Very often JERKS will beep or even sway close to me to scare me ... which is dangerous, because a rock or crack in the road can throw me (I ride a snakeboard) very easily.

Often I put my hands up in the universal, "Why don't you come back if you got beef" but they keep going. Don't be tough with you car! Don't be tough with your words. If you're going to be tough, be tough like a man: face to face.

I almost had to beat the **** out of someone at the beach yesterday for being a total **** but was nice, and chose the path of peace instead. I admit, I was kind of hoping he's esculate it -- after he said, "Yea, I'm talking to you" -- but I guess he realised anyone so quick to paddle right up to him to adress the issue, forcefully but calm and peacefully, wasn't scared of his chubby little ass.

Be nice to people! Or people might not be nice to you.

Oso
04-25-2006, 06:49 AM
I am very often that skateboard punk!

Really? couldn't have guessed.

This is how I see it:

The street is a lot smoother than the sidewalk so its better to use to get across town (some of us don't drive everywhere, some of us don't even have cars).

Bottom Line: Pedestrians/ Skateboarders/ Bicyclists aren't supposed to be in the middle of the road. Pedestrians/Skateboarders aren't supposed to be in the road period.

So, a car is stopped in the slow lane

Wrong. Single Lane Road.

and is looking to back into a spot so I can't pass them on the right

shouldn't be there. See "Bottom Line" above. Also, passing on the right on a single lane is illegal. But that's for cars...oh, yea, he wasn't a car.

.... that would interfere with the person parking. And oh, here's a guy behind them who didn't realise she was going to park .... you'd think the break lights in the middle of an open lane would have been a good hint

now you're just being a smart ass. I didn't give any indication I didn't see her, reread my post.

.... so I'll break left, pass both of them as quick as possible, and then go back to hugging the side of the road as close to the parked cars as possible.

check again, he wasn't hugging the side of the road at any point. Also, check "Bottom Line" again.

Very often JERKS will beep or even sway close to me to scare me ... which is dangerous, because a rock or crack in the road can throw me (I ride a snakeboard) very easily.

Check "Bottom Line" again.
Often I put my hands up in the universal, "Why don't you come back if you got beef" but they keep going. Don't be tough with you car! Don't be tough with your words. If you're going to be tough, be tough like a man: face to face.

Check post again. He ran.

I almost had to beat the **** out of someone at the beach yesterday for being a total **** but was nice, and chose the path of peace instead. I admit, I was kind of hoping he's esculate it -- after he said, "Yea, I'm talking to you" -- but I guess he realised anyone so quick to paddle right up to him to adress the issue, forcefully but calm and peacefully, wasn't scared of his chubby little ass.

Be nice to people! Or people might not be nice to you.

Once people disregard common sense, I stop being nice to them. Not to mention disregarding laws intended to keep people safe. If he hadn't of pulled the first stunt and almost made the woman wreck her car, I wouldn't have responded as such when I came up behind him on the street.

Here's the funny thing, Asheville dumped a fair amount of money in to a nice skate park...a mere 2 blocks from where this happened. Skateboards have no business on the road period. They are too small and move too fast. That's why they are not allowed there by law.

Oso
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
If its that important to them to have "the look" then aren't there architects that can provide the original look with the modern efficiency? It costs more, but isn't that important. Plus, it would further the energy savings which is important in this age of fossil fuel dependence and global warming.

I'm just saying. . . .

man, something's going on with my posts.

I think I responded to this but then there was a double post of the second post...

anyway, yea, it could be done but these kids have more ideas than money or sense.

MasterKiller
04-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Here's the funny thing, Asheville dumped a fair amount of money in to a nice skate park...a mere 2 blocks from where this happened. Skateboards have no business on the road period. They are too small and move too fast. That's why they are not allowed there by law.

Actually, skateboards are not allowed on public roads because they have no braking system.

Judge Pen
04-25-2006, 07:49 AM
You can tell you are getting older when you start behaving in a way opposite of the way you did in your youth. Example, I live near the bottom of a hill in my subdivision. At the top of my lot there's a culvert and drainage ditch that cemented. There's one kid that will come flying down the hill on his BMX, hit the ditch, and catch some pretty decent air before landing in my yard. Now, I don't own the drainage ditch (drainage easement) but I can just see him landing wrong, breaking his arm or something and his parents suing me for not preventing the kid from riding his bike and jumping onto my property.

Of course as soon as I put a fence around my yard, the kid will come flying down and not be able to stop before he hits my fence, and then they will sue.

Dam n lawyers. :eek: :D

Ray Pina
04-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Oso, in my town it is illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk ... sidewalks are for pedestrian foot traffic. Skateboards, particularly snakeboards, do not work well on sidewalks that are generally in disrepare.... streets are the most convenient way to go.

I know why some people have the need to yell "get on the sidewalk" when I'm riding my skateboard or tall bike... when they can just as easily go around. After all, I'm actually using energy, not sitting on my a$$ in air conditioning. I used to think they were just mean, grumpy people. But now I see it as a kind of jelousy. Some people see me and my friends on our custom bikes and yell out, "Get a job!."

I have a job! Some of my friends are rich and don't need jobs.

It's a jelousy that they have not only lost their physical youth, but their mental and spiritual youth. Lighten up man. You'll get where you're going. Take it easy. Why bring someone else down just because you're grumpy? Why be grumpy in the first place? Put soem good music on and enjoy your life.

Chief Fox
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Dude, you're just as bad as the kid on the skateboard if not worse. The only difference is, you're an "adult" and a martial artist and should be more responsible.

So the kid made a bad decision and the lady "almost" wrecked her car. Keyword = "almost".

So you take it upon yourself to teach this kid a lesson and come up on him and lay on the horn.

Take it from someone who's been on the receiving end of one of those horns from time to time. You scared the sh!t out of the kid. You're lucky that the kid didn't bail, fall off his board and end up under your tires. How would you have felt then. Who's the jerk now?

Then after he flips you off you slam on the brakes like you're going to dish out some street justice.

"Once people disregard common sense, I stop being nice to them. Not to mention disregarding laws intended to keep people safe. If he hadn't of pulled the first stunt and almost made the woman wreck her car, I wouldn't have responded as such when I came up behind him on the street."

The real bottom line: Just because a person does something stupid and wrong doesn't give you the right to do something more stupid or more wrong.

ShaolinTiger00
04-25-2006, 08:51 AM

As an Architect who works in Historic Preservation I find this very funny! especially considering that they can have modern windows installed that have the same profile as the historic ones. :D

ninthdrunk
04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I love how skaters, cyclists and bikers get all peeved at people in cars. I love the bumper stickers that say, "have you seen a motorcycle lately...you should look again." These people get mad when motorists don't follow the traffic laws and don't see them, but most of the time (most) problems get started by someone who is using some form of alternative transportation and thinks he can just squeeze around/through/by the cars that are in his way. The way I feel about is that if you are on the road, you obey the rules of the road. If you're on a skateboard and someone is trying to parallel park, another car is stopped to let them finish...you don't just sneak on by because you can. You stop your little piece of wood and don't try to manuever through the traffic...same thing for any situation and any motorist. If you don't, you're just endangering everyone involved.

And if someone does do something stupid like that...I don't think it gives anyone else the right to set them straight. We all want to, and I'm sure that I would be inclined to do the same, but when it boils down to it, we aren't their freakin' parents.

The operative word in all of the previous posts is definitely "almost." Just because something almost happens doesn't mean that you must make something else happen.

Oso
04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Actually, skateboards are not allowed on public roads because they have no braking system.

good point.

Oso, in my town it is illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk ... sidewalks are for pedestrian foot traffic. Skateboards, particularly snakeboards, do not work well on sidewalks that are generally in disrepare.... streets are the most convenient way to go.

Are they legal on the street in your town?

I know why some people have the need to yell "get on the sidewalk" when I'm riding my skateboard or tall bike... when they can just as easily go around. After all, I'm actually using energy, not sitting on my a$$ in air conditioning. I used to think they were just mean, grumpy people. But now I see it as a kind of jelousy. Some people see me and my friends on our custom bikes and yell out, "Get a job!."

I have a job! Some of my friends are rich and don't need jobs.

If you're on a bicycle then you can be on the street as long as you obey the laws for bicycles on the street. I'm an avid biker and the only thing that ****es me off more than skate punks in the street is bicyclists who don't know how to act when they are on the street.

It's a jelousy that they have not only lost their physical youth, but their mental and spiritual youth. Lighten up man. You'll get where you're going. Take it easy. Why bring someone else down just because you're grumpy? Why be grumpy in the first place? Put soem good music on and enjoy your life.

See, you're obviously not paying attention to my posts...I'm choosing to be a grumpy old man and enjoying the hell out of it. :D

Dude, you're just as bad as the kid on the skateboard if not worse. The only difference is, you're an "adult" and a martial artist and should be more responsible.

I was totally responsible. I alerted him to the fact that he was in the wrong place and being a menace to society.

So the kid made a bad decision and the lady "almost" wrecked her car. Keyword = "almost".

Right, only because she was being alert enough to spot the kid, not hit him and not hit anything else. He made a bad decision and obviously didn't give a sh!t. So, I let him know.

So you take it upon yourself to teach this kid a lesson and come up on him and lay on the horn.

Take it from someone who's been on the receiving end of one of those horns from time to time.

Sounds like you were in the wrong place. I doubt you would have had a car horn blown at you if you were in a skate park.

You scared the sh!t out of the kid. You're lucky that the kid didn't bail, fall off his board and end up under your tires. How would you have felt then. Who's the jerk now?

If he had bailed it would have been his own fault. Using your car horn to alert someone else is not illegal. If he had bailed after I blew the horn I would have been able to stop in plenty of time. I was only going 5mph.

Also, FTR, this 'kid' was probably mid 20's.

Then after he flips you off you slam on the brakes like you're going to dish out some street justice.

Not really, I scared him off the street which was my point. Now if he had hit my car or otherwise done something physical after I had only alerted him to my presence...

"Once people disregard common sense, I stop being nice to them. Not to mention disregarding laws intended to keep people safe. If he hadn't of pulled the first stunt and almost made the woman wreck her car, I wouldn't have responded as such when I came up behind him on the street."

The real bottom line: Just because a person does something stupid and wrong doesn't give you the right to do something more stupid or more wrong.

Sorry, not buying it. I didn't do something 'more stupid or more wrong'.

As an Architect who works in Historic Preservation I find this very funny! especially considering that they can have modern windows installed that have the same profile as the historic ones.

Yea, but they are talking about trying to find salvage/restored stuff on the 'cheap'.
Like I said, Yippies.

FYI, the building was built in 1922 as a Willy's Jeep Dealership. You'd dig Asheville if you are into Historic Preservation. Mostly all Art Deco style. Downtown is pretty cool. Then there's the Grove Park Inn and of course Biltmore.

I love how skaters, cyclists and bikers get all peeved at people in cars. I love the bumper stickers that say, "have you seen a motorcycle lately...you should look again." These people get mad when motorists don't follow the traffic laws and don't see them, but most of the time (most) problems get started by someone who is using some form of alternative transportation and thinks he can just squeeze around/through/by the cars that are in his way. The way I feel about is that if you are on the road, you obey the rules of the road. If you're on a skateboard and someone is trying to parallel park, another car is stopped to let them finish...you don't just sneak on by because you can. You stop your little piece of wood and don't try to manuever through the traffic...same thing for any situation and any motorist. If you don't, you're just endangering everyone involved.

well put.

And if someone does do something stupid like that...I don't think it gives anyone else the right to set them straight. We all want to, and I'm sure that I would be inclined to do the same, but when it boils down to it, we aren't their freakin' parents.

not trying to be. just the person there at the time to let the idjit know he was being an idjit.

The operative word in all of the previous posts is definitely "almost." Just because something almost happens doesn't mean that you must make something else happen.

I think the world has just gone to PC. Used to be that if you did something rude in public, someone would check you on it.

I say it's time to take by the streets in the name of common decency!!!!

this is fun :D

Chief Fox
04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
"Take it from someone who's been on the receiving end of one of those horns from time to time.

Sounds like you were in the wrong place. I doubt you would have had a car horn blown at you if you were in a skate park."

That depends on what you consider the wrong place to be. I ride my bike to work during the summer months to get in some extra cardio and to save money on gas.

I ride on the shoulder of the road, use hand signals and obey all traffic lights and signs.

I look at it as I'm trying to be a part of the solution. What do I get for my trouble?
I've had people yell right in my ear as they're going past me.
I've had people come up on me and lean on the horn.
I've had people swerve at me pretending like they were going to hit me.
I've even had people throw trash out of their cars at me.

I've caught up to two of these people. One I yelled right back in his face as I was passing him. The other who threw trash at me, I just stood there and looked right at him while we were at the light.

So how am I in the wrong place? Should bikes only be allowed in state parks?

Oso
04-25-2006, 12:32 PM
CF, you didn't clarify that you were on a bike. The implication of your statement was that you were like the skate punk I encountered.

If you were on a bike (legal on the road) and obeying the rules of the road then good on ya!

I used to go on weekly rides in Boone with the mountain bike club. I gave them a bunch of **** and stopped riding with them after an incident where the whole pack (minus yours truly) cut through the outfield of a community softball park WHILE a game was going on. Total disrespect for other people. That's what this idjit totally displayed: disrespect for other people, safety and the law.

yenhoi
04-25-2006, 01:08 PM
/me covers oso's eyes with hand

"I am the laaw."

:mad:

Ray Pina
04-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Is finding joy in being a grumpy old man similiar to those people that like to be sick, and tell people their sick all the time?

Chief Fox, I hear you..... I was crossing the street on foot in the dead of winter in the rain! and some dude in a truck who was impatient for me to cross gave me the finger as he nearly ran me over.

The best part was that he was going to the pizza parlor right across the street from the ATM I was going to. So I crossed over, and even though he was bigger than me (and with his girlfriend), I walked right up to him and asked, "Was there something you wanted to say to me?"

Should have seen the big pu$$y's face and he turned tail and ran back to his truck. I thank God that I met my master so I can call *****s like that on their bull$hit.

Judge Pen
04-25-2006, 01:43 PM
I was crossing the street on foot in the dead of winter in the rain! and some dude in a truck who was impatient for me to cross gave me the finger as he nearly ran me over.

Isn't that typical driver behavior in NY?

Oso
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
/me covers oso's eyes with hand

"I am the laaw."

last me there

But, citizen's have largely given up their rights to uphold the law in this country.

Is finding joy in being a grumpy old man similiar to those people that like to be sick, and tell people their sick all the time?

not at all. I'm just pointing out truth as I see it. There is no way to argue that 'skate punk' was in the right. I'll accept debate that I may be wrong but since I'm basically stating my opinion...

Chief Fox, I hear you..... I was crossing the street on foot in the dead of winter in the rain! and some dude in a truck who was impatient for me to cross gave me the finger as he nearly ran me over.

Apples and Oranges mostly, unless you were not crossing at a designated intersection...if so, then most likely you were in the wrong.

The best part was that he was going to the pizza parlor right across the street from the ATM I was going to. So I crossed over, and even though he was bigger than me (and with his girlfriend), I walked right up to him and asked, "Was there something you wanted to say to me?"

Should have seen the big pu$$y's face and he turned tail and ran back to his truck. I thank God that I met my master so I can call *****s like that on their bull$hit.

so, exactly what is the difference between our attitudes???? cause, they pretty much sound the same except for the perspective.;)

dwid
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM

One of these days you're going to meet a "big pu$$y" with a gun. Calling people out to escalate from words/gestures to actions carries with it an inherent level of risk. Often people who live violently die violently.

Chief Fox
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM
There are a$$holes everywhere. Some of them are riding skateboards, some are riding bikes and some are driving cars. You never know when you're going to happen along one. It's easy to let these asswipes get to you if you're not careful.

Oso
04-25-2006, 01:53 PM
There are a$$holes everywhere. Some of them are riding skateboards, some are riding bikes and some are driving cars. You never know when you're going to happen along one. It's easy to let these asswipes get to you if you're not careful.

but it's all about perspective...to me the skate punk was an *******.

to him, I was the *******.

however, technically, he was in the midst of doing at least one illegal act whereas I did not commit an illegal act.

therefore, I'm right and he's wrong.

Ray Pina
04-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Isn't that typical driver behavior in NY?

:)
I guess you're right about that. But I live in a beach town and people tend to be a little more chill and layed back here. That behavior was certainly uncalled for.... given the driving wind and rain, the freezing temp and the fact that I was on foot.

Guy was just angry and driving this huge jacked up black truck with skulls on it.

Ray Pina
04-26-2006, 06:26 AM
One of these days you're going to meet a "big pu$$y" with a gun. Calling people out to escalate from words/gestures to actions carries with it an inherent level of risk. Often people who live violently die violently.

I guess so. And maybe at some level I like the excitement which is why I risk suring over reef and what not. But in the end, I'd rather stick up for myself in those rare occassions (I let a lot of things go, but sometimes something inside of me says to adress it) then go through life a safe dog with my tail between my legs.

Ray Pina
04-26-2006, 06:30 AM

however, technically, he was in the midst of doing at least one illegal act whereas I did not commit an illegal act.

I keep hearing you saying "legal" and "illegal" ... who appointed you sheriff? The kids riding his skateboard and going around stopped traffic .... what's the big freaking deal? Don't be such a pig! And when I say pig, I mean one of these self righous motherfu(kers who think they know what's best for everybody.

Where's the joy? I think it's great for a bunch of guys to ride their bike through the outfield, for some dude to parachute into a game .... it's life. Loosen up. Smile. Enjoy the random acts.

hjt
04-26-2006, 07:08 AM
i used to skateboard, and i board on the sidewalk, street, in buildings, parking lots, and anywhere that i could, people used to get upset with my friends and i , in return we cursed at them and continue doing what we did, now that i m older i realized that i was pretty much an a-hole when it came to skateboarding.

Oso
04-26-2006, 08:08 AM
I keep hearing you saying "legal" and "illegal" ... who appointed you sheriff? The kids riding his skateboard and going around stopped traffic .... what's the big freaking deal?

Every state in the union has allowance for the common citizen to either arrest or detain someone until the proper authorities can be brought to the scene.

This punk was at least guilty of reckless endangerment if not several other things including the city ordnance against skateboards on city streets or sidewalks in the business district.

I could have legally called the cops and detained him till they got there.

Don't be such a pig! And when I say pig, I mean one of these self righous motherfu(kers who think they know what's best for everybody.

Now you're just getting rude. No need for that. You are advocating that loosen up but you're getting wound up more than I am. A bit hypocritical dontcha think?

Where's the joy? I think it's great for a bunch of guys to ride their bike through the outfield,

way off there buddy. you don't want people to screw with your enjoyment of your activities. why are you advocating that other people should just take the disturbance of their peaceful activities lying down.

for some dude to parachute into a game .... it's life. Loosen up. Smile. Enjoy the random acts.

I totally enjoyed my random act the other day. :)

Ray Pina
04-26-2006, 09:12 AM
If your town has outlawed skateboadring, that is lame. Skateboarding is not a crime.

If you and/or this woman felt endangered by a lone kid on a skateboard while surrounded by several tons of steal maybe you should both upgrade to military-style vehicles, perhaps something with armor plating and bullet resistant glass. Give me a break.

In the end, you're right: not worth getting wound up over. I've just been in dangerous situations one time too many because some joyless "adult" (someone over 18 who has forgotten how to play) has motioned to run me off the road.

When I hear what you're saying I'm just reminded of every one of these cowards acting tough behind their car but not once had the balls to stop and talk face to face about the situation. It's cowardly what you did .... and more dangerous than the kid skateboarding. And no so unrelated to the subject last week, of picking on someone your own size.

Oso
04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
If your town has outlawed skateboadring, that is lame. Skateboarding is not a crime.

You don't read so well, do you? That's ok. There are a lot of program's to help adults who didn't get a decent education.

Try reading what I said again. Here, I'll help:

Skateboards are not allowed on city streets.

Skateboards are not allowed on sidewalks in business districts.

What this means is that you can certainly skateboard on your neighborhood sidewalk but it has been deemed unsafe to do so on a busy city street.

I certainly left out that detail but it happened in the downtown business district. And, I'll point out again, the City of Asheville Skate Park was a mere two blocks away where for a mere $2 one could skate all day.

If you and/or this woman felt endangered by a lone kid on a skateboard while surrounded by several tons of steal maybe you should both upgrade to military-style vehicles, perhaps something with armor plating and bullet resistant glass. Give me a break.

You're missing the point. But that's ok.

In the end, you're right: not worth getting wound up over. I've just been in dangerous situations one time too many because some joyless "adult" (someone over 18 who has forgotten how to play) has motioned to run me off the road.

I'll say it one last time...NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. If you were someplace you weren't supposed to then you created the dangerous situation. MK pointed out the obvious in that there is no breaking system on a skateboard.

When I hear what you're saying I'm just reminded of every one of these cowards acting tough behind their car but not once had the balls to stop and talk face to face about the situation.

Wrong again, I stopped and he ran.

It's cowardly what you did .... and more dangerous than the kid skateboarding.

How so? I was in complete control of my vehicle and honked my horn to alert him to my presence.

And no so unrelated to the subject last week, of picking on someone your own size.

That doesn't even relate. I did not get offensive in my actions. He did by flipping me off. When I went to stop and 'discuss' that with him he bolted. I doubt it would have gone far as I certainly outweighed him by 100 lbs or so and it would have been foolish of him to do anything violent.

Hopefully he has learned a lesson in that you just don't know who you might be flipping off.

Chief Fox
04-26-2006, 10:04 AM

You're right about the perspective thing. I remember one time being pulled over for excessive use of horn. No ticket just a warning but i was wrong for leaning on the horn the way I did in the cops perspective.

Try not to let the a$$holes of the world get to you. Young punks really don't have a care in the world and that is how it should be. I remember being a care free young punk, hauling a$$ on my skateboard down some extremely smooth streets in Wildwood NJ. I didn't know it then but I could have been killed or seriously injured for going as fast as i was on busy streets. I'm sure you can probably remember a time when you weren't so responsible. It's a part of being young.

5Animals1Path
04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
I saw a t-shirt once that said "To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid."

I think of it every time I see stuff like this.

Ray Pina
04-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Actually Oso, I can read. Actually graduated with a 3.7 from a college in the Northeast, not some **** kicking one horse town.

If you tell me your town "does not allow skateboarding in the street," than to me, that means it's "illegal" to skateboard in the street.

Skateboards by the way do have a breaking system, it's called the tail pad. If that fails, it's called putting your foot down.

MasterKiller
04-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Skateboards by the way do have a breaking system, it's called the tail pad. If that fails, it's called putting your foot down.

That's fine and dandy. Explain it to the judge that way when you get a ticket for operating an illegal vehicle on public roads. I'm sure he'll see it your way.

MasterKiller
04-27-2006, 08:24 AM

Skateboarding on public roads, is, though.

I've been skating since Jr. High. I have a Caballero "classic" deck/Independent trucks/slimeball wheels.

When I walk my dogs, I ride the board around the neighborhood. Technically, riding in the street is illegal. I'm supposed to stay on the sidewalks. If some car accidently swerves into me, I don't get pizzed at the car because I am the one breaking the law. They shouldn't have to be looking out for me.

Chief Fox
04-27-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a Dogtown deck, tracker trucks and Simms wheels. Old School!:cool:

In my town skateboarding is not allowed on the side walks but is permitted in the streets.

So skateboarding on public roads in NOT illegal everywhere.

Oso
04-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Actually Oso, I can read. Actually graduated with a 3.7 from a college in the Northeast, not some **** kicking one horse town.

:confused: you sure don't seem to be demonstrating that. :confused:

If you tell me your town "does not allow skateboarding in the street," than to me, that means it's "illegal" to skateboard in the street.

MK has already rebutted that statement.

and that one.

and for the record, I got my first skateboard in...'77 or '78. My last board had tracker trucks but i don't remember the wheels or deck...when I moved to NC in '80 I stopped riding as there wasn't any place to ride except the road...and that was stupid. So, I'm not unsympathetic for what it feels like to ride.

I just don't believe that my wishes necessarily come before the law, other people's enjoyment of their life/activities and most of all, common sense.

Ray Pina
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
If some car accidently swerves into me, I don't get pizzed at the car because I am the one breaking the law. They shouldn't have to be looking out for me.

I've been accidentally hit by a car as a kid ... it happens. If someone accidentally almost hit me I could understand. To purposely operate your car to intimidate someone who's on a bike or skateboard is cowardly and dangerous. Period.

Skateboaring is not only legal but incouraged in my town (we have two skateparks). It is viewed as a healthy alternative to people sitting on their a$$ or doing something counter productive.

I love walking the streets at night and hearing that roar of skatewheels somewhere in the distance and then the "pop" and interuptance and you know some kid just busted an ollie somewhere. I'm not a great skater by any means. I like a snakeboard because the motion is similiar to surfing, so if its flat I can still get a session in while getting chores done. I usually stick to oneway side streets. But sometimes I have to hit the main avenue to drop off a video at blockbuster, or pick up some food. It's amazing how often you get agressive drivers (usually males 18 to 45) vibing you. And it's more so in the winter. By summer everyone's skating and biking. But for some reason crabby, f@t-@sses just can't stand to see a young man out having fun, playing around.

We can argue it back and forth, but I'm sure everyone well knows what I'm talking about. We've all been guilty of it, the inner annimosity at someone else's joy. It is a sickness, and in Orso's case it was dangerous. Legal or not, right or wrong, he could have hurt someone. Maybe the judge would say it was OK because the kid broke the law, but I follow a higher law, and I attest to a higher judge then man can vote into power.

Oso
04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Ray, you're hilarious. Made my week. Thanks, bro!:)

Ray Pina
04-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Same here:) I'm sure you're just bored at work too and in the mood to argue ... so:p

Have a good one. I'm hopping on a plane back down to Puerto Rico in a few hours ... want to be good and hope God pours some nice little barrels over my head.

Peace
Ray

neilhytholt
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
We've all been guilty of it, the inner annimosity at someone else's joy. It is a sickness, and in Orso's case it was dangerous. Legal or not, right or wrong, he could have hurt someone. Maybe the judge would say it was OK because the kid broke the law, but I follow a higher law, and I attest to a higher judge then man can vote into power.

The people I really hate are the people who hate the people who hate the people who are happy. :)

Stop hating on the skateboarders. Only honk if they are heading for your car and looking the other way, or if they're about to run into a phone pole or something.

Ray Pina
04-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Well, I hate the self righteous people who hate the self righteous people who hate the people who hate the people being happy:)

OK, I think I finally got all the argumentation out of my system ... whew.

Ming Yue
04-27-2006, 01:35 PM
My dad used to say

"I hate everyone equally until they give me a reason not to."

Cynicism may lead to an early grave, but at least it gets right to the point.

neilhytholt
04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
My dad used to say

"I hate everyone equally until they give me a reason not to."

Cynicism may lead to an early grave, but at least it gets right to the point.

One of my grandfathers used to say the same thing, "Yes, I'm a racist, but I don't discriminate. I hate all races equally." LOL