PDA

View Full Version : Royce vs Matt Hughes

Hieronim
04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
who do you think is gonna win this fight? And do you think Royce will shoot or pull guard?

SanHeChuan
04-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Hughes and Guard

Ray Pina
04-25-2006, 06:15 AM
Royce .... and both. He'll shoot, tie him up, and then pull guard.

hjt
04-25-2006, 06:42 AM
who do you think is gonna win this fight? And do you think Royce will shoot or pull guard?

pull guard, like always. he feels comfortable in the guard. the only thing i want to know are there going to be special rules in this match, like all the other matches, that royce been involved in?

i think this fight is going to be a snooze fest, royce will tired hughes out and may submit him, hughes will just lay on top of him. hopefully it will be an exciting fight, but i doubt it.

metsubushi
04-25-2006, 07:26 AM
I really really want Royce to win. I can't stand Matt Hughes and his Aw Sucks crud.

ShaolinTiger00
04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Hughes will crush him.

Farmboys rule! :D

WinterPalm
04-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I doubt this fight will be very entertaining to watch. A good wrestler attempting to strike which usually, in Hughes' instance, doesn't go too well, and another terrible stand up fighter that is limited in wrestling but can submit from his back and likes to be there. I am sorry but this will either be a snore fest of a ground fight, considering Hughes will not gas during the five rounds, and Royce will be patient looking for openings but, with the rules the way they are, any stalling on the ground will lead to being stood right back up.

Hieronim
04-25-2006, 11:32 AM
pull guard, like always. he feels comfortable in the guard. the only thing i want to know are there going to be special rules in this match, like all the other matches, that royce been involved in?

i think this fight is going to be a snooze fest, royce will tired hughes out and may submit him, hughes will just lay on top of him. hopefully it will be an exciting fight, but i doubt it.

and just exactly how confortable does he feel in the guard? :)

Hieronim
04-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I like the preview/commercial of their fight on spike, "he thinks hes gonna beat me up, do this and that" lol Royce is so humble reminds me of one of those old masters.

Hieronim
04-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Interviewer: FMatt is a little offended that you actually think you can fight him inside the Octagon and walk away the winner.

Royce: Matt is offended? That does not make any sense. He is a fighter right, and a fight takes two people, so what is he offended about? If anything, Matt should thank me for even having a job and being able to fight. For him to be offended for something my family created, I don't understand the disrespect. If he has problems with people fighting him, maybe he should look into a different profession. I was fighting in the UFC before he even knew what the UFC was, so I have no idea what he is offended about, I also do not care.

http://www.mma.tv/tuf/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=799341&FID=1&pc=13

his fmaily created fighting?

Mr Punch
04-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Hughes and GuardWhat he said.

hjt
04-26-2006, 05:47 AM
his fmaily created fighting?

i think he is referring how the gracies introduced BJJ and MMA to the US. and a new evolution in fighting they proved that not everyone was well rounded back then. they didnt invent MMA, since its been around in Brazil long before the UFC, they just market it here and look at it now, you have everyone trying to be an MMA fighter. i think thats what he meant.

yenhoi
04-26-2006, 06:02 AM
Maybe he meant that literally his family created UFC?

Anyways, I hope matt doesnt lose, but I would like to see Royce win.

GSP by decision.

:eek:

Hieronim
04-26-2006, 12:36 PM
i think he is referring how the gracies introduced BJJ and MMA to the US. and a new evolution in fighting they proved that not everyone was well rounded back then. they didnt invent MMA, since its been around in Brazil long before the UFC, they just market it here and look at it now, you have everyone trying to be an MMA fighter. i think thats what he meant.

not everyone. Most people stil want to be boxers or kickboxers.

hjt
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
not everyone. Most people stil want to be boxers or kickboxers.

i see where youre coming from and what you are trying to do. ok i ll play right now since work is pretty slow. no they dont want to boxers or kickboxers, do you have studies that it says so? look outside of the US MMA is huge, bigger than boxing, when they hold events they hold it in soccer and baseball stadiums. the fighters are treated like heroes. unlike boxing.

they want to be MMA'ers. look at them they are cross training. look at TUF highest rated show on cable, the contender which was a boxing reality show, got cancelled after a few episodes.

and when you say kickboxers? do you mean, thai boxing? san da? international kickboxing? or do you mean american kickboxing, which is like point sparring but with shiny pants.

i ll wait for your rebutal.

Ray Pina
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
My landlord just told me he read that MMA is the fastest growing sports market for males 15 to 25.

quickjab
04-27-2006, 01:50 PM
The Contender never got cancelled. It moved around from slot to slot, which affected its ratings. The season finale still did very good numbers and season 2 is about to begin on ESPN, a network with much more money and influence than Spike. MMA is more popular in Asia and Brazil. Boxing is still HUGE in Latin America, including Brazil, and Asia still produces many professional boxers and events have decent ratings over there. Manny Pacquio is an ICON in the Phillipines.
Will MMA eventually pass Boxing, maybe. But that day is still a long while away.

quickjab
04-27-2006, 01:54 PM
By the way, TUF season 3's ratings have dropped significantly.

Fallout
04-27-2006, 08:15 PM
they didnt invent MMA, since its been around in Brazil long before the UFC, they just market it here and look at it now, you have everyone trying to be an MMA fighter. i think thats what he meant.

Actually the Gracie's introduced MMA to brazil too. Gracies have been doing their thing since the 1920's.

Did they invent minimal rules fighting? no.

But they did create what is now known as "MMA".

Hieronim
04-27-2006, 08:35 PM
im shure the gracies didnt itnroduce mma to brazil, bjj isnt mma. mma is standup and gorund and clinch, not just ground.

brothernumber9
04-28-2006, 06:59 AM
I agree with Hieronim, Gracie Jiujutsu has become its own martial art, and from my limited understanding, was Japanese Jiujutsu modified for a smaller man and for the type of fight culture in and around Rio, but didn't seem to include a conventional method such as boxing, for ending a fight standing up.

The most common elements, or disciplines if you will, that people consider MMA are BJJ, Thai boxing, and western boxing, and very often people seem to have a background in wrestling. Ofcourse there are a bunch of others that are substituted or represented as well. These were just, in my opinion, the most common right now.

Having said all that, I'll pay the PPV fee to see this fight. Matt Hughes is a beast and has better stand up than Royce, especially at the age Royce is now, and has a great ground game as well. Just the same, Hughes as never faced some with the ground arsenal, knowledge, patience, and stamina that Royce has, and Hughes has never faced anyone that can submit men from positions and opportunities that very few others can recognize when upon them.

FatherDog
04-28-2006, 09:35 AM
By the way, TUF season 3's ratings have dropped significantly.

Actually, episode 2's ratings dropped, but episode 3's rebounded back up to the previous (very high) levels.

Hieronim
04-28-2006, 11:30 PM
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33820

plus it doesnt matter, most people just watch the ufc hardly any of them train and without training blood and sweat you cant learn nything, ppl have been watching martial art movies for years yet hardly any of them can fight just from watching the movie.

BM2
04-30-2006, 08:30 AM
My wife and six year old son have a bet on the fight. She has to clean his room for a month if Matt Hughes wins. My son walked over to the coach and picked up a pillow. He threw knees and punches into it as he annouced that he was Matt and the pillow was Royce.
As for me, I'm pulling for Royce for the first time.