PDA

View Full Version : Would this work against real jabs/punches?? (vid)

william
04-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Hi

Here is the link,

What are the chances of pulling this sort of stuff if someone is going at you really hard, with boxing punches?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-680283105169353641&q=kung+fu&pl=true

not assuming they would not work, just wanting some opinion?

Cheers

W

Mr Punch
04-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Any of the ones where he starts on the outside and twirls to the inside: no.

Any of the straight ones: yeah, they're not so different to a boxing parry or slip and straight... but providing they're practiced at full speed against someone trying to nail you.

Plus the ones when the teacher is going backwards and keeping the stooge at arm's length would be asking for trouble... going in at an angle should work better.

That vid was just a demo I hope: otherwise it was typical slowmo-movie-fu.

yenhoi
04-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Probably a useful partner drill.

Looks almost exactly like hubad (FMA sensitivity drill) except its one sided.

:confused:

Judge Pen
04-26-2006, 06:22 AM
What bothered me is the partner had forearm drills to protect his arms. Pansy, go buy some jow and get tough!

Mr Punch
04-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Probably a useful partner drill...Limited use IMO, unless they then work up to doing it full speed with retracting the arm again.

PlumDragon
04-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Looks like just a basic redirect/passoff to me. Only with the exception of TKD, every style of martial arts Ive ever studied had the exact same idea, but perhaps with different hand motions to fit the structure of the system.

IMO, they are effective and useful IF (like anything else) they are repeatedly practiced in lots of situations and varying levels of resistance and intensity.

Chief Fox
04-26-2006, 10:12 AM
The concept of redirecting or deflecting the power of the oncoming punch or attack is very common in all styles of kung fu.

A jab is a very quick compact straight punch. So would the guy have enough time to pull off all of those moves? Probably not. If we're talking about a full body commited straight punch then I think that many of those techniques would work effectively.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
i dont think the concept of what he was doing was usless at all.

however, i think we are seeing another classic example of what is wrong with kung fu. his entire body posture and presense while working with the student screamed that its been a while since someone has really come at him at best. at worst the man has never done any serious contact sparring period.

Shaolinlueb
04-26-2006, 11:57 AM
if the guy throwing the punches was throwing them to hit the person blocking, then they might learn something more useful out of it. instead of jsut throwing weak not meant to hit punches out there. there is a difference and it makes a big difference when training.

SevenStar
04-26-2006, 12:49 PM
yeah, the hand was just left hanging there - of course the guy could grab it and do whatever. I agree with yenhoi - it looks like hubud - but in real life, the strikes he pulled afterward and the grappling of the arm likely would not happen.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2006, 03:06 PM
i agree ... your not going to pull off a 7 hit combo like in mortal combat 3 which was totally sweet.

Hieronim
04-26-2006, 04:25 PM
too much trapping.

WinterPalm
04-26-2006, 07:30 PM
I think a good amount of the shifting and blocking/parrying was good.

Kymus
04-27-2006, 05:13 PM
What bothered me is the partner had forearm drills to protect his arms. Pansy, go buy some jow and get tough!

We do worse in FMA and don't need no pads :cool: :cool: :D

Kymus
04-27-2006, 05:14 PM
i agree ... your not going to pull off a 7 hit combo like in mortal combat 3 which was totally sweet.

Liar, I saw Liu Kang do it on TV. When I practice *cough* at slow speed *cough* I can do it too :P

Kymus
04-27-2006, 05:16 PM
if the guy throwing the punches was throwing them to hit the person blocking, then they might learn something more useful out of it. instead of jsut throwing weak not meant to hit punches out there. there is a difference and it makes a big difference when training.

Good point

I hope that he runs his students through full speed drills...

David Jamieson
04-28-2006, 06:18 AM
looks similar to slipping or what we call making a destruction.

Yeah it works. Works even better if you step in and cut off the power of the punch. :p

If you really want to find out, look at the technique, practice it a couple of times, try it with an opponent, find the slot and make your decision if it works for you or not.

johnyk
04-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Too Italian for me.
lol