i heard that lama was an enemy of shaolin is just a movie thing or is it real

lkfmdc
04-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes, it's true

That's why I hate all of you! :D

:rolleyes:

WinterPalm
04-27-2006, 02:10 PM
If lama don't like shaolin, and shaolin don't like lama...where does that leave the llama? Does anyone have love for the llama? Does the llama have any enemies?

Discuss...

Judge Pen
04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I guess it depends on the Llama. Is it a whooping llama? Is his name Ralph?

neilhytholt
04-27-2006, 02:36 PM
If lama don't like shaolin, and shaolin don't like lama...where does that leave the llama? Does anyone have love for the llama? Does the llama have any enemies?

Discuss...

I think llamas are cool because when you're driving past a farm, a llama kindof stands out from the sheep because their heads are so much taller.

Plus, I think they're better looking than sheep, but please don't try to read anything into that. ;)

SiuHung
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM

Yes, it is EXACTLY like in the movies. Never trust the evil Lama!!!!!:eek:

jethro
04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
are lamas enemies of the shaolin?

I just learned what lol means, but that doesn't seem fitting. Laugh A Lung Up Out Loud. laluol i guess.

neilhytholt
04-27-2006, 03:04 PM
are lamas enemies of the shaolin?

I just learned what lol means, but that doesn't seem fitting. Laugh A Lung Up Out Loud. laluol i guess.

lol is old chat speak, evidently, like rotflmao.

Anybody know the true story, though? Supposedly Tibetan Buddhism at one point was the state religion of the Qing dynasty, so it perhaps makes sense that the Tibetan Llamas would be against Shaolin who were for the Ming, but I'm not good enough with Chinese history I guess to know the full story.

jethro
04-27-2006, 03:37 PM
As far as I know, it is movie fiction. Lama's I believe had respect for shaolin but never studied with them. But the idea of them going against eachother is just absurd. I will certainly present the facts when I am not at work if nobody else does. But it will take some research on my day off tomorrow. But i wil go ahead and credit joseph kuo or lee tso-nam right now for that whole misconception.

neilhytholt
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
As far as I know, it is movie fiction. Lama's I believe had respect for shaolin but never studied with them. But the idea of them going against eachother is just absurd. I will certainly present the facts when I am not at work if nobody else does. But it will take some research on my day off tomorrow. But i wil go ahead and credit joseph kuo or lee tso-nam right now for that whole misconception.

I'm not so sure it's absurd because supposedly Tibetan Buddhism was the state religion of the Manchus, and the Tibetan Lama style became the bodyguard style for the imperial family and was taught at the palace. And the Manchus supposedly several times attacked the Shaolin temple because either insurgents were hiding there or they were starting some insurgency.

So it doesn't seem like it's a totally absurd premise to have Llama vs. Shaolin.

mantis108
04-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Tibetant Budhism in general is Vajrayana (thunderbolt vehicle); while, Shaolin is supposedly Mahayana (greater vechicle). The Lama and monks are both of Sangha order.

The Qing imperial court didn't mistreat Shaolin (the Henan one) in fact but they did ban all "cults" and "martial arts" (at least for short awhile). They also came down hard on the "theatre troupes" where some of the rebels where hiding. They did burn some theatres and jailed the troupes. It would seem that the rebels created the myth about burning of Shaolin (Fujian one), which is a theme that was picked up by the popular culture (ie novel and legends), to instigate hatre towards the Qing imperial court. The fact that Qing imperial court espouse the Tibetant form of Budhism rather than the Chinese form is definitely a political incorrectness chip for the spin doctors working on the side of rebel camp.

Seperating the fact and fiction is hard sometimes but it's important to remember there are always two sides to a story. So....

Mantis108

golden arhat
04-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Tibetant Budhism in general is Vajrayana (thunderbolt vehicle); while, Shaolin is supposedly Mahayana (greater vechicle). The Lama and monks are both of Sangha order.

most korean chinese and japanese buddhist are as you say mahayana ,thai sri lankan indian and south east asian buddhist are therevada and tibetans are vajarayana(again like you like you said) i read in wong kiew kit's book "the art of shaolin kung fu" that the manchus hired the lamas one time to raze the shaolin temple( not sure) seems a bit weird though as schisms in buddhism usually result in one school breaking of from the other or just not talking not out and out violence

unyma
04-28-2006, 04:26 AM
<<I guess it depends on the Llama. Is it a whooping llama? Is his name Ralph?>>

I think it used to be Ralph but he was sacked.

jack
04-28-2006, 08:46 AM

Lamas fighting with shaolin monks, these are just some movie stuffs.