PDA

View Full Version : How you overcome the hurdle in your style

SPJ
04-28-2006, 06:41 AM
I had trouble walking in circle, when I first started to practice Ba Gua. I would practice all the palm changes with moving the steps, as if practicing southern boxing. I do change postures just not walking.

The teacher said no no and no. The gong fu is in the walking and steps. OOPS.

---

What is the hurdle in your practice, how you overcome it?

:D

Chief Fox
04-28-2006, 07:36 AM
The 7 star mantis style is a very quick and agile style. After you develop the quickness you start to develop power. At least this is how my instructor teaches it. Many times during and almost always after class he would tell me that I need to loosen up. That I'm too ridgid. We would joke about me doing the forms like a robot and stuff.

It turns out i was doing it backwards. Trying to focus too much on power too soon. I have since backed off on my power and have focused on correct form, being light on my feet and speed in the areas where I feel comfortable.

Just last week my sifu said that he's seen improvment in my flow.

Thank you sifu.

BruceSteveRoy
04-28-2006, 07:52 AM
stances. definately stances. i began in a N Shaolin school. To get your first sash (white) one of the things you had to do was hold a horse stance for 3 minutes, into a bow and arrow stance 3 minutes on each leg, then a hanging horse stance 3 minutes on each leg, into a cat stance 3 minutes on each leg, into a scissors stance 3 minutes each leg and then finally into an empty leg stance 3 minutes on each leg. while doing this we had to place a wooden block on our leg. if it dropped three times you didn't pass. so all in all it was 33 minutes straight of stances.

The hardest part of being able to do this and the lesson i believe to be learned from it is that, though it requires a great deal of strength in your legs, it is as important if not more important to learn to not focus on the pain. To reach a meditative state. This is definately a hurdle i had to over come. and truthfully i am still overcoming it. I find it hard to empty my mind.

EarthDragon
04-28-2006, 08:33 AM
moving the body as one unit!

this although constantly aware and practiced is extremly difficult. Jus when you get the left and right side in unison, then you finally get the top and bottom moving in unison.
my shrfu said good!...........................now the internal and external..