PDA

View Full Version : OT: kids face jail time over coin tossing...

Hieronim
04-30-2006, 02:37 AM
http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060428/NEWS04/604280326

joedoe
04-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Wow. Tough application of the law there.

Oso
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
heh, back 'when' (70's) we would flip coins towards a wall and whoever got closest won all the coins flipped.

technically, as far as NC law is concerned, it IS gambling if they are betting on the flip of a coin as that is random. Flipping a coin towards a wall, as we did, would not be gambling but a game of skill such as darts or pool and it would be perfectly legal to bet against each other or all contestants in the 'flipping'. "Side Bets' would be illegal though.

SC may be different though....they usually are. ;)

David Jamieson
05-01-2006, 06:51 AM
wow, talk about clogging up the justice system with stuff that should be taken care of on the school grounds.

Shaolinlueb
05-01-2006, 07:46 AM
yeah kinda rediculous and a waste of tax payers money. but i dont feel bad for the kids for getting in trouble they were warned.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-01-2006, 08:08 AM
this thead would have been much funnier if they had been arrested for salad tossing.

brokeback math class and all like that.

joedoe
05-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Lol Gda!!!

neilhytholt
05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
It's good to know that with terror, and other crimes, the police are wasting their time on some kids game.

This is so asinine that it's not even funny, it's criminal. Every adult involved should be admonished and put on leave for gross stupidity.

Mr Punch
05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Tossing in public is disgusting and rightly criminal.

CaptinPickAxe
05-01-2006, 07:46 PM
It's good to know that with terror, and other crimes, the police are wasting their time on some kids game.

This is so asinine that it's not even funny, it's criminal. Every adult involved should be admonished and put on leave for gross stupidity.

What do you expect from a backwater town in South Carolina. They probably ran out of moonshine and we're p!ssed the whole day.

FuXnDajenariht
05-03-2006, 12:25 AM
neil is right. those adults involved are the real criminals. talk about power mad. why would you hassle children about a coin tossing game? dude needs to get laid. the sheer stupidity that our justice system shows is frustrating. it angers me to no end. :mad: a rapist can get less than 2 years but someone caught with marijuana can go away for 10? drug laws are a whole nother can of worms tho.

Oso
05-03-2006, 04:45 AM
The bottom line is that, in school, the children are supposed to do what the adults say (within legal, moral and ethical boundaries of course).

If 'gambling on school property' is against the rules and they were warned not to do it then they deserve whatever they get.

neilhytholt
05-03-2006, 01:17 PM
The bottom line is that, in school, the children are supposed to do what the adults say (within legal, moral and ethical boundaries of course).

If 'gambling on school property' is against the rules and they were warned not to do it then they deserve whatever they get.

Yeah, but when I was in school we had a way of dealing with that, which was detention. If you keep getting detention you get to talk to the Principal. If you're a real troublemaker you get sent home (suspended).

There's no need to involve cops unless it's something violent like guns or something.

PangQuan
05-03-2006, 01:51 PM
they likely kept playing the game because they were told not to.

they were warned, and they continued. action was taken.

its sad that it had to be handled the way it has been.

yet at the same time, things are different today then when us older folk were in school. a $300.00 fine is hardly anything, but the children will get a good life lesson out of the ordeal and have more respect for an athorative figure.

give em a slap on the wrist they will do it again next week, this way they will probably not. in todays world, you cant afford to make mistakes like that later on in life. best to learn early.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-03-2006, 02:27 PM
a 300 dollar is more than a lil sumphin for a lot of families and i have a feeling this didnt happen in an upscale school or to an upscale family.

i could be wrong of course.

i really want a monkey.

PangQuan
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Gda

http://www.pawsweb.org/site/homepage.htm?gclid=CIiX9sKP3YQCFS06GAodwzi9Zg

you can adopt a rescued monkey through here :p

David Jamieson
05-03-2006, 03:25 PM
don't give him a monkey, he'll just flush it down the toilet when he's tired of it like he did with that alligator last time.

PangQuan
05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
maybe we could hook him up with some sea monkeys

FuXnDajenariht
05-04-2006, 11:40 AM
puttin 12 year olds in handcuffs for coin tossing will most likely have the opposite effect of teaching them a life lesson... :rolleyes: the government should the last one to teach anyone "life lessons"

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2006, 02:36 PM
don't give him a monkey, he'll just flush it down the toilet when he's tired of it like he did with that alligator last time.

i forgot all about chompers :(