PDA

View Full Version : The Martial Artist

SanHeChuan
04-30-2006, 09:32 AM
There is a diference between those who practice the martial arts and true Martial Artist's. This thread is dedicated to delineating that deference.

A Martial Artist's...

...knows more about other styles history and philosphy than the martial practioner knows about thier own style.

...continuously reads to expand thier knowledge of martial culture.

...knows that being a Martial Artist is a life time commitment.

...would take any style rather that sit on thier ass.

...practices on their own time.

...would not quite after receiving thier black belt.

...know that earning your black belt mean's your ready to START learning.

...doesn't care what color thier belt is.

...knows that a technique is only right or wrong base on what you're trying to accomplish.

...not only knows what other styles do differently but know why they do it that way.

...at least tries to be respectful of other martial arts.

...feels a kinship to all other Martial Artist regardless of style.

…goes to class even when they don’t want to.

…goes to class even when they probably shouldn’t ;)

…is interested in all aspects of the martial arts; form, sport, self-defense, practical application, fighting, history, philosphy, culture, ect

dwid
04-30-2006, 09:39 AM
I always love when people use their own definition of what is/isn't a member of a particular category to elevate themselves to a higher status.

Funny how whenever someone brings up an argument like this, all the points defining the serious martial artist, or serious video gamer, or serious LARPer, or serious sandwich artist or whatever are points that he or she embodies.

I would be willing to bet my yellow jumpsuit against your lifesize cardboard standee of Jet Li that real serious martial artists, like Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chuck Liddell, etc... (whoever fits your personal definition) don't waste their time talking about what qualifies as a real martial artist.

SanHeChuan
04-30-2006, 10:11 AM
one it's just for fun

two i don't fit all these things

i'm sure Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chuck Liddell, etc...never laugh and have fun either when they could be training real hard 24/7 :rolleyes:

waterleopard
04-30-2006, 11:01 AM
dwid, it's Sunday, have a 2nd cup of coffee! lol.

dwid
04-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I was just poking fun.

It just seems like whenever I run into arguments like this one, it's always simplifying things to set up an in-crowd and an out-crowd (I know, that's not really a word, but you get what I mean).

People have lots of competing priorities in their lives, lots of different reasons to train, and lots of different ideas of what is and is not a martial art (let alone a martial artist). I think a lot of the criteria given were, if we were to be completely honest, definitive criteria for a martial arts geek, and not a martial artist, which is why all the other categories I wrote were essentially other kinds of geeks (except sandwich artists, which are awesome).

Anyway, please to not take too great offense, I was just jumping into the fray.:D

waterleopard
04-30-2006, 01:05 PM
I understand. No offense taken at all.

I even learned what a LARPer is. :)

SanHeChuan
04-30-2006, 05:59 PM
yeah what a nerd reading about martial arts, I just buy Kung fu magazine for the pictures. ;) :D

Chief Fox
04-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I think it may even be simpler than your definition.

A true martial artist lives a martial art lifestyle. They spend a great deal of time thinking about and actually practicing martial arts. They have a passion. Unlike a hobiest who thinks about martial arts only on tuesday nights and saturday mornings, a true martial artist has it in their blood. It's a part of who they are and they never stop learning.

Well maybe that isn't simpler. Same but different.

David Jamieson
05-01-2006, 06:55 AM
True Martial Artists....

here's a pic of a few. :p

SanHeChuan
05-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Chief Fox,

I agree 100%

David Jamieson,

You mean like these

yeah, doing Marine Corps marial arts does not make you a Martial artist. Unless your a MCMAP instructor, a part-time hobbiest spends more time training.

I think I get where you going with that. Training for actual use in real combat and everything, but Police officers would probably be a better fit.

Chief Fox
05-01-2006, 09:27 AM
I think those pictures are of people who have maybe embraced the martial aspect but maybe not the artist part. I certainly wouldn't know that by just looking at a picture. But to me being a martial artist is more than just the martial aspect. It's learning how to breath, how to focus. It's about making the most of yourself in everything that you do.

Maybe I'm getting too philisophical here. Also, notice how I've totally personalized the definition with the terms "I think" and "to me". :D

WinterPalm
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree with the points made in the first post.

The pictures are of warriors, people that go to war. To me a martial artist is a civilian that is trained in combat methods to be used to promote peace and to protect and uphold good causes.

PangQuan
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
jet li doesnt even train his wushu anymore.

he says so himself. hes a professional actor, not a professional martial artist.

a "real martial artist", has martial arts in their heart. that is enough. regardless of how good you become, or how much you train, if your passion is martial arts, then you are a martial artist.

when passion is missing, in any endeavor, then it is simply something you are doing. it has not made it into your heart. for any artform to flourish and blossom with an individual, there must be a strong emotional connection. or it is not art.

anyone can be a martial practitioner, and not ever become an artist.

some of those criteria do not fit.

#1 for example. a man can be confined and train in his art, never even knowing that other arts exist, but he can still be a martial artist, simply one ignorant of other styles/methods.

there isnt really a set of guidlines that are needed to be a martial artist, you just simply must do. that is enough. it is within you.

SanHeChuan
05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
you don't have to be educated about other arts to be a martial arts, But I think doing so makes you a better Martial artist. By doing so you make less room for charlatans and snake oil salesmen and improve the overall quality of the martial arts.

SevenStar
05-01-2006, 01:39 PM
There is a diference between those who practice the martial arts and true Martial Artist's. This thread is dedicated to delineating that deference.

I'm with dwid on this one. However, even though it's only for fun, I still gotta be devil's advocate.

...knows more about other styles history and philosphy than the martial practioner knows about thier own style.

not necessarily. As a martial artist, I may care less about the history of other styles. It just so happens that I like to research this stuff, but that's not because I'm into MA, but moreso because of my interest in fighting arts and history.

...continuously reads to expand thier knowledge of martial culture.

see above.

...practices on their own time.

ideally, sure. But as we see on these forums all the time, not everyone has time for that.

...would not quite after receiving thier black belt.

they may "quit" in order to pursue another style. As you stated, they know more about other styles' history than practitioners of them do. Perhaps The MA prefers to get that knowledge first hand. Over the years, I've trained in longfist, worked with shuai chiao guys when available, muay thai, judo, capoeira, bjj, karate, tang soo do, jun fan / jkd, kali, japanese jujutsu and wing chun. So the little I know I know from experience, not from reading up on it.

...doesn't care what color thier belt is.

Many people in the western world like to have a goal to reach for. receiving milestone awards keeps them motivated. consequently, one very well may care what color their belt is. that wouldn't make him any less of an MA.

...knows that a technique is only right or wrong base on what you're trying to accomplish.

I doubt it. I wouldn't try a flying headbutt EVER, regardless of what I was trying to accomplish.

...not only knows what other styles do differently but know why they do it that way.

this is based on the premise that an MA likes to research other styles, which may not be the case.

...feels a kinship to all other Martial Artist regardless of style.

I feel a kinship to NOBODY simply because they train MA. I tend to laugh at those who think that such a kinship should even exist. We are people like anyone else. That means that several of us are pr1cks, retards or for whatever reason just don't mesh with certain other MAs. Why should a kinship exist among such people? I think hieronim is a dunce. Why would I feel a kinship with him?

…is interested in all aspects of the martial arts; form, sport, self-defense, practical application, fighting, history, philosphy, culture, ect

I could care less about forms. Does that make me less of an MA than someone who like them?

SanHeChuan
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
SevenStar,

It is not my place to say who is and who is not a Martial artist, that is for each individual to decide for them selves. I can't vote anyone off the island. But by expressing what we feel makes a Martial arts, or maybe just a better martial artist, we learn not only what drives our selves but each other.

Play devils advocate, your still expressing your thoughts on the matter. Though not in the form i had anticipated.

I think being educated about all martial arts, decreases the number of Kung fu Goats in the world, by at least one. (see last post)

Some of the points where based on what I thought to be popular opinion of what your suppose to do. Personally I rarely physically practice seriously on my own time and I do have the time.

By "Quit" I meant stop doing the Martial arts all together, and returning to their coach potato (or what ever) life styles. Part of the reason I had researching the Martial arts as one of the points, is because some people are not currently practicing except with their minds.

So the little I know I know from experience, not from reading up on it.

so your saying...a Martial arts has experienced other martial arts. ;) :p

Many people in the western world like to have a goal to reach for. receiving milestone awards keeps them motivated. consequently, one very well may care what color their belt is. that wouldn't make him any less of an MA.

Yes ;) :D

I feel a kinship to NOBODY simply because they train MA. I tend to laugh at those who think that such a kinship should even exist. We are people like anyone else. That means that several of us are pr1cks, retards or for whatever reason just don't mesh with certain other MAs. Why should a kinship exist among such people? I think hieronim is a dunce. Why would I feel a kinship with him?

I know you feel some camaraderie towards other martial artists because you post on these boards. Perhaps you feel no kinship to these people because they are not "True Martial Artists" ;) People who practice martial arts to gain personal power of for financial gain, are probably going to be D!cks. They are not your peers. It is human nature to identify with others and form clicks based on common "values" (even when that "value" is nonconformity, Ironic that way)

SevenStar
05-02-2006, 12:56 AM
I know you feel some camaraderie towards other martial artists because you post on these boards. Perhaps you feel no kinship to these people because they are not "True Martial Artists" ;) People who practice martial arts to gain personal power of for financial gain, are probably going to be D!cks. They are not your peers. It is human nature to identify with others and form clicks based on common "values" (even when that "value" is nonconformity, Ironic that way)

it's not kinship - it's just discussion about a topic I enjoy. I also post on an all asian forum - I am the only black guy. Only like two of them have ever practiced MA that I know of, and they don't do it seriously. None of them live in my region and we have very different interests in most cases. But there is interesting discussion, so I post there, though I haven't in a while. Where is the kinship there? It's just good discussion.

dwid
05-02-2006, 05:37 AM
People who practice martial arts to gain personal power of for financial gain, are probably going to be D!cks. They are not your peers.

I'm sorry, but this struck me as really funny. People who practice martial arts for financial gain would be better off playing the lottery. I mean, how many people have really become millionaires off the martial arts?