PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some input

Pork Chop
05-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Okay anybody who's been following my blog has seen that I've been going through some "adjustment" pains in my move back out here to Texas.

I'm used to gyms opened till 10 during the week and open all day, both days on the weekends. I've done both the structured class thing as well as the "open" boxing gym type thing, but in both cases had schedules that pretty much matched my own. Guess I prefer working out between 6 or 7 and 10pm.

Here in Texas, I don't quite have the same luxuries. I've got the following options:

- a fitness center, with good hours similar to what I'm used to. They have a TKD room with a cruddy heavybag and hardwood floors. They have a real cheap fencing class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which looks interesting but i just can't get up for. The fitness equipment is top notch. It's real cheap and I already belong. The location's right outside my front door.

-a muay thai gym with a good instructor and good facilities. They have a pretty strict class structure. Until I'm back in relatively decent shape I can only make the 5 o clock class, eventually being allowed to stay for the 6 oclock class (and maybe one more at 8). The location is about 15 to 20 minutes away, in the heart of downtown. I've worked out here before, but haven't officially paid and joined. The coach is nice, as well as knowledgeable & looks like a great place to get ready for fights. Feel a lil bad if I don't join but i've worked out there like 3 or 4 times altogether.

-a boxing gym with a relatively hands-off type trainer: http://www.boxinggyms.com/armadillo.htm
The hours here aren't great either 4-8 during the week, open maybe an hour and a half on saturday. The location is on my way home from work.

I can make a 5 o'clock workout if i get to work by 6:30 (maybe 7 if i don't get caught). Unfortunately, if I'm that early, by 4pm the LAST thing I wanna do is go work out. If I get to work between 8 and 8:30, I'm more productive during the day and have more energy when it's time to go. Problem with 8 is that I can't possibly leave before 5, possibly staying as late as 6:30 if i start at 8:30 & take a lunch.

At the moment I'm even having a rough time working out. I'm really forcing myself not to overdo it when i do work out and still hurting BAD after really easy workouts. I've thrown up everytime I've worked out at the kickboxing gym & was hurting real bad the day after.

My question is where do I go?

Looking for any input i can get on which i should do. I would definitely like to go back to the kickboxing gym come time to get ready to fight; but right now my body isn't ready for their workout. I kinda need to work at my own pace for a bit, till things are back to normal; coz that workout's just messing me up each time.

I was thinking of working out at the boxing gym for a few months at my own pace until I am ready to get serious & go back over to the kickboxing place.

Or instead of the boxing gym, i could just stick with the fitness center until my body readjusts to being active again.

please help, thanks in advance.

WinterPalm
05-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey Porkchop, I'll give you my two cents even though I am just a random guy on the internet.

First, after seeing and reading your thread, and the old one at time, I lurk more than post, I can see that you live a crazy life that is busy. I really think that you should pick ONE thing, like the boxing, or kickboxing, or weights and running or whatever, and do that solid for two to six months, get a good routine before adding everything else into the mix. Obviously you aren't a competeing fighter with long hour everyday and you do seem dedicated or at least motivated but maybe it is just too much. There's nothing wrong with doing all the stuff you love, but after considerable time off, it would be best to stick with one thing, get good at it, get your body used to it, and then broaden into other components of training. You can't go from zero to six days a week. Try two to three kickboxing or boxing classes a week and build from there.

Just my advice...and you seem to really defeat yourself by going too gung ho...not sure if this is what you are looking for, but often it is stepping back and taking it easy that you will start to deepen your knowledge and ability. My Sifu always tells me to get the proper rest.

Good luck.

rubthebuddha
05-03-2006, 08:03 PM
considering your desire to drop the extra weight everyone gains when they move to texas (90 percent of which is chips and queso :D), and the adjustment to a new city, and the soon arrival of your woman, and a million other things, i'd stick with just the gym at first. get yourself in the shape you want, and get a good routine down first. get around town and play a little bit, and don't overdo the chorizo -- it can ruin a diet and can ruin any chance at getting lucky for the following two days. ;)

Pork Chop
05-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks much guys. :)

I really appreciate the outside perspective.

I've had to start over like 4 times over the last 2 or 3 years so it's real frustrating when I've gotta slow things down all over again.

I think you guys may be on to something with taking it even slower and more conservatively than i was already planning.

I was supposed to fight in november before all the feces hit the rotary blade and all my buddies that i used to train with have been fighting a lot lately, so it's been weighing heavy on me. I wanna get back in there right away and fight as soon as possible.
I'm used to a ton of pressure being put on me by a coach to push myself past my limitations and make every possible workout; but it's that same mindset that's really slowed down my progress this time around.

Tonite I went back to the gym for another weight workout.
It was a lot of fun.
This week I've been bringing my girl with me to the gym to be my partner.
She doesn't lift heavy weight; neither do i for that matter- i'm doing more of a light weight, high rep, general fitness type program- but it's a good workout and we have a lot of fun.
I like feeling like I'm making progress instead of just feeling like I'm messing myself up.

rubthebuddha, i LOVE queso, i LOVE chorizo but the real thing that's killed me since moving here is the beer. I never even liked beer all that much before maybe christmas time when I bought of german imports but i was averaging almost a case a week for the past month. Beer's made me gain more weight, slowed me down, and killed my endurance more than anything. At least my girl's been keepin me from the beer and helpin me eat better this week. :)

I have an appointment to go check out the boxing gym tomorrow, so I'm gonna see what's up there and see what they've got to offer. I've always crosstrained some sort of kickboxing (muay thai/san shou) with boxing, so i was thinking of it more as a self paced workout as opposed to a rigid class workout- not doing a completely separate sport.

For the most part, I really think I'll take you guys' advice and keep the priority on the fitness. Thanks again.

Chief Fox
05-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Just an idea, but maybe you can work late like 2 days a week allowing you to leave early two days a week. This way you'd at least be making it to the muay tai gym at least twice a week and then go to the fitness center the rest of the time.

Pork Chop
05-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks, gonna think on that one for a bit- already working 10 hour days which are pretty rough.

Had a lot of fun at the boxin gym, so i signed up.
If my first workout's any indication, the the self-paced workout is the solution to a lot of my problems lately.
Gonna box and hit the fitness center until i feel ready to mix the muay thai back in.

Chief Fox
05-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Dang 10 hour days! What do you do? Read about the boxing gym on the other thread. sounds cool.

Pork Chop
05-05-2006, 03:45 PM
I work a 9-80 schedule:
5 days one week, 4 days another week, so i get every other friday off.
my workday is technically 9 hours long, but lunch gets tacked onto your workday (10 hours for a 1 hour lunch) and they don't like you skippin too many lunches.

kickboxin gym called me up today. feel kinda bad about goin awol on 'em after gettin 3 free lessons. i'll probably stop back by soon but not really a full time thing for a lil while.

TenTigers
05-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I was gonna suggest the gym by your home for two weeks and then the Muay Thai place. Some people, when they get in a slump,plus beer, don't pull out., and it's better too force yourself, or have someone do it for you.
Seeing that you already signed up at the boxing gym, I would stay there for maybe a month and intensify your trainng, and THEN join the Muay Thai gym-because you will be doing boxing anyway, plus the kicking, knees, elbows, etc.
and if yo want to get in the fight game again, you really need to up your intensity.
Plus, I don't want to see you being complacent, or settling for mediocrity. You deserve the best.
-just my thoughts. But I want you to know, I'm rootin' for ya.

Pork Chop
05-06-2006, 03:54 PM
That's really awesome of you man, I appreciate that. :)
I'm gonna do it man for sure.
BTW- let me know if any east coast guys come out for Taiji Legacy, I'll take care of you guys.

Guy I sparred full out in virginia the first week of march just had a fight at 199lbs & knocked his dude out in the first round. Likin my chances of getting back in there when i'm back on track.