PDA

View Full Version : Going to China/Taiwan to train?

dingo
04-08-2001, 10:52 PM
I am a university student who is toying with the idea of going to China or Taiwan to study taijiquan after I finish my degree. Can those of you on this board who have done this (Dave C.?) give me any advice/tips, etc..? For instance, how are you funding your studies, how did you decide on who to study with, etc...? Any info would be much appreciated.

Zhin
04-09-2001, 08:36 AM
good people in london, why bother going across the world? I'd never leave the bay area to go to china just because it's where MA started.

All that aside, what form of Taiji are you interested in, since different locations have different specialities.

dingo
04-09-2001, 10:49 AM
With regards to your statement "there are some good taiji people in London", name two. :D The reason I want to go to China/Taiwan is because I'm interested in lineages you can't find in the West, like the Yang Banhou/Shao-hou side of the yang family, and in obscure (well, in the west, anyway) students of the Yang family, like Chen Xiufeng, Tian Zhaolin, Li Ruidong, stuff like that. I'm also interested in Hao style (in particular the northern branch). I'm aware that Shanghai is a mecca for students in the Hao Shao-ru lineage; can you give me any advice on good areas in China/Taiwan for the Yang Ban-hou transmission

patriot
04-09-2001, 06:11 PM
Isn't there a John Ding who claims to be of direct Yang lineage in London? http://www.taichiwl.demon.co.uk/

Dave C.
04-10-2001, 03:07 AM
Dingo,
Check your email.