PDA

View Full Version : Question for Lee Koon Hung lineage

hskwarrior
05-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I was jut thinking, and I have a question. Who is Lee Koon Hung's classmates?

Which of his classmates are well known CLF masters?

and also, have any of you ever compared the CLF LKH taught to that of his personal classmates?

hsk

CLFNole
05-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Most of his classmates are quite old. The only one still teaching that I am aware of is Chui Mun On in Hong Kong, who would be Sifu's si dai (quite a bit younger). The video I have of Poon Sing's 80th Birthday has about 2 of my sifu's sihings performing one did sup gee and the other ping chan kuen. The style was the same with just a couple of minor differences (1 move here or there). Chiu Mun On's students did their forms like ours but had some differences as well.

Why do you ask?

hskwarrior
05-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Do you think the differences are individualistic?

How much of the CLF LKH taught do you think he left his ear mark on?

and, oh, if i was to see LKH's Sihing's perform.....would i recognize him or them as being from this branch?

or is LKH's movements all his own?

hsk

TenTigers
05-04-2006, 09:43 AM
From what I am hearing from BSCLF, is that there are individual interpetations, even within the same generation under the same Sifu. In Jook Lum,we are encouraged to make the set our own-which id frustrating to me, because as my Sifu teaches it, it's different every time. I am kinda anal about this-only because I am in the learning stage, and I don't feel comfortable deviating from the set.
Is that the way it is with CLF as well? I am sure Nick from Buck Sing can also shed some light on this? (besides, we hear so little from him-I'm trying to "draw him out";-)

CLFNole
05-04-2006, 10:04 AM
No it is exactly the same style. Like I said very minor differences for example there is a section in Ping Chan Kuen where we do a left kong jeurng then jump into a chang fu, where my si baat did a left kong jeurng followed by a right kong jeurng then jumped into the the chang fu.

The flow and feel are the same. The double poon kiu loi yum chop choy is the same. Stances the same. Transitions the same....

I think Sifu might have his stamp on some forms as I was only able to compare a small sample. You have to remember although they were his si hings they only followed Poon Dik/Poon Sing, whereas Sifu also followed Leung Sai, Chow Bing and So Kam Fook. He also had some influence from Leung Sui Keung.

hskwarrior
05-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I can't speak for the Chan Family, but in my school its the same thing. I found that there's a really relaxed mentality about how to approach CLF. the hands are so interchangeable you can say to your sifu can i use a tiger claw instead of this cranes beak?, and your sifu can say yes. no problem.

Professor Lau Bun was also one to have 5 different ways to perform our sup ji kou da. But i feel that if its taught that way, then there's no standard set. it's all very individualistic. he may have a kick in the set I don't have. I may have things he doesn't have.

For me, that's a problem because if the same set is always taught differently then it makes it harder for someone to who has learned it another way to work with you or even have a sihing correct you because you learned it different.

See, my sifu called his original school the Tien Loong Gung Fu Club. My sifu has a way of expressing this......."when you come to my school, you are learning "MY" way. He then taught us to internalize and make our CLF ours.

but i feel that on a superficial level, ALL sets should be the exact same taught to EVERYONE. Later if your sifu wants to personalize your set that's fine, but you should know the original and your own personal one.

so, to answer your question TenTigers, it is a common thing for CLF to change almost over night. the sifu may sleep on it, then come up with another way and show you.

i still feel that there should be a Complete standard in all CLF sets.

Infrazael
05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Well there are some moves (very small, like pantherfists replacing eyepokes) that I change when practicing sets at home.

No big deal. Flow and feel are all the same.