PDA

View Full Version : jump up move

mikey284
05-04-2006, 03:05 AM
hi, im new here and i would like to know how you guys do taht jump up move. if you don't know what i mean, it's like what they do in breakdance sometimes. when you lay on your back and jump um to your feet in just about a second or so. i think it looks pretty cool and i would like to learn how to do it too, so any help would be appreciated...thanks :)

MasterKiller
05-04-2006, 06:23 AM
It's usually called a 'kip-up'.

You roll your head back to get your shoulders off the ground, kick both feet up and away from your head, then pull your feet under your butt quickly.

PangQuan
05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
if you dont have a strong neck, use your hands to start.

practice your bridge and hold with your neck.

be quick and snappy. if you find you just cant get it, try it on a small incline, to learn the "feeling" then it will be easy once you get it one time.

almost same as front hand spring.

Chief Fox
05-04-2006, 10:02 AM
It's a very explosive movement.

while on your back, bring your legs up over your head so your feet are almost touching the ground. Your hands should be up by your ears.

Explode your legs upward and outward while pushing with your hands. When you do it correctly you will land in a standing position.

I've attached a graphic on how to work up to a full kip.

Oh, and landing flat on your back is a very common problem. Remember to "EXPLODE" those legs upward AND outward while pushing with your hands.

BruceSteveRoy
05-04-2006, 10:09 AM
one thing that i had trouble with when i first started it was landing flat on my back. so it went from a kip up to a flopping fish technique. the trick to it (or at least what i did to correct it) is to make sure to remember to kick your legs up hard. i was kicking them too much out and not enough up. so now i have a tendency to land on my face. which isn't any better but at least a face plant is funnier to watch then a dying fish impersonation.

PangQuan
05-04-2006, 10:13 AM
thats a neat diagram.

i personally like to land in a low horse.

learn this move, it opens the door for head flips, hand springs which lead to flips and arials.

it's a gateway technique.

ninthdrunk
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
man, I'm so big, I think I'm just doomed to never be able to do kip ups. I come back to trying them probably every few months. Some of the things y'all said here seem like they might help. I also do a dying fish impersonation...maybe I should try kicking more upwards than outward...hmmm...

PangQuan
05-04-2006, 10:40 AM
alot of it is mid section too. as your kick your legs and you feel the pull of the momentum, do a very quick motion similar to a sit up. pushing with your hands/neck at the right moment is also very important.

its like this

legs, neck/hands, stomach.

thats the order. the pushing of hands or neck will occur immediately after you begin to build your legs momentum. then the sit up is in sequence with the pushing of hands or neck.

the bridge stretch will give you the flexability that will make this move easier.

ZhuiQuan
05-04-2006, 10:53 AM
If you've never done it, you should ask your instructor or a senior student to teach you (or have patience, you may learn it in the future when your instructor feels you're ready). If you do it wrong you could hurt yourself.

mikey284
05-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Wow, thanks for all the tips, and the graphic also. i think i will be able to do it with a bit of training. domo arigato gosaimasu :p

Judge Pen
05-04-2006, 12:52 PM
If you've never done it, you should ask your instructor or a senior student to teach you (or have patience, you may learn it in the future when your instructor feels you're ready). If you do it wrong you could hurt yourself.

I learned by starting on an old mattress and box-springs first. A little extra spring helped me develop the timing while I got stronger. Now it's not a problem. Still working on the arial though. . . .

PangQuan
05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
I learned by starting on an old mattress and box-springs first. A little extra spring helped me develop the timing while I got stronger. Now it's not a problem. Still working on the arial though. . . .

do you practice your round offs and hand springs?

jethro
05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
I started practicing this about 2 months ago(why I didn't ask for advice on here, I don't know). I had just watched the movie shaolin wutang 2, I think it is iron monkey's first movie. It has the standard monk traing, except it has this one guy who did like 6 of them. Each time he jumped higher off the ground to land right on his back, and sprang up harder each time. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. Since I am being a real lazy ass in finding a school, I decided ot get my body into decent shape by doing a lot of stretching and working out every day.

So every night when I am watching my nightly movie, clear out the living room, and try to land on my back as easy as I can. And then spring up as using the shoulder muscles, once I actually almost made it up with no hands and I had to stop for the night cause my tailbone said so. But I am glad to see the method of using your hands. I thought I was doing it wrong, or cheating. Because you can really learn to spring up pretty well, but would you guys advise using a mat? Cause the way I land sometimes, I don't think it would matter too much.

Judge Pen
05-04-2006, 02:20 PM
do you practice your round offs and hand springs?

I'm better at hand springs than round offs. I think its more of a mental issue and a timing issue than anything. Actually, I've been a bit shy after my knee surgery to try anything bigger than kip-ups, kartwheels or butterfly kicks.

I'll probably take some tumbling classes eventually if I ever decide to get serious about doing an arial.

PangQuan
05-04-2006, 02:21 PM
the mat thing is up to you. lot of people practice on grass.

i learned in our training room, which is concrete with hard bound carpet. No mat.

standard is learning with your hands first, then switching to no hands. but you can learn in any order you want. also practice landing in resting stance. or land and go straight into shoulder roll, hand spring or head flip.

pretty much any technique.

its good to be able to flow into a combat technique after landing; sweep kick, jump kick, etc.

the whole idea of the move is for getting back up on your feet quickly if your given space and not crowded after being knocked or thrown to the ground. so you want to be sure to land quickly in ready position or flow straight into a technique, something defensive is great.

PangQuan
05-04-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm better at hand springs than round offs. I think its more of a mental issue and a timing issue than anything. Actually, I've been a bit shy after my knee surgery to try anything bigger than kip-ups, kartwheels or butterfly kicks.

I'll probably take some tumbling classes eventually if I ever decide to get serious about doing an arial.

ouch knee surgery >.<

i know im going to need that soon but im going to put it off as long as i can. stupid child hood injuries.

Judge Pen
05-04-2006, 02:53 PM
ouch knee surgery >.<

i know im going to need that soon but im going to put it off as long as i can. stupid child hood injuries.

ACL a year and a half ago. It's fully healed, so any reservation is mental.

PangQuan
05-04-2006, 03:41 PM
acl sounds so annoying, and painful. at least its healed for you though.