PDA

View Full Version : Billy Banks Sparring Clip

Judge Pen
05-09-2006, 04:39 AM
http://www.break.com/index/billybanks.html

RUFNTUFGIRL
05-09-2006, 04:59 AM
:eek: You mean people pretend to be real to make money? And in Hollywood, I had NO IDEA!!!;)

David Jamieson
05-09-2006, 08:39 AM
yep...

Billy is more gone hollywood than anything really.

Still his aerobic exercises are as good as any aerobic program out there.

Getting ktfo is no big deal though, it happens to many fighters who are better than most of us.

ktfo happens. :p

My favourite Blanks failure was his brother v. an unknown inuit guy in a high kick contest on guiness book of world records.

lanks is all like "yeah my brother can really kick higher than anyone and he's trained hard for two years to get this record"

then they talk to the inuit guy and he says "i don't train, but we play kick ball now and then as a passtime"

the inuit guy totally pwned blanks. the Blanks bros had zero to say after that and the inuit guy remained humble.

I like that inuit guy, and the conceit of the Blanks bros continues. lol

:p

IronFist
05-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I thought you were supposed to hop around in karate. He just stood there ;)

PangQuan
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
thats why he got ktfo. had he started to hop around like he should have, the motion would have caused him to distract his opponent and evade getting ktfo.

Judge Pen
05-09-2006, 07:24 PM
I think it had something to do with the hands. Too low or something?

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
i think he gassed. he needs more cardio.

Yung Apprentice
05-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Was that really him?

Ben Gash
05-10-2006, 02:56 AM
It may have been him, but the fact that he got KTFO 20 odd years ago hardly makes him fake. He was a very successful forms competitor, and at least it shows that he has put his a*s on the line. As DJ says, getting KTFOd is a fact of competitive fighting. I found some clips of Frank Shamrock getting slapped about like a b*tch by Bas Rutten, are you going to tell him he's fake?

Judge Pen
05-10-2006, 04:17 AM
I didn't say he was fake, but I thought it was poor sparring mechanics with the posture and the hand positioning and that led to getting ktfo. Am I wrong?

Ben Gash
05-10-2006, 05:17 AM
I was aiming it more at rufntuffgirl. It's a fairly common freestyle posture, they wait for the attck, slip it and come in with a backfist/reverse punch combo. The other guy's kick was too good for him though.

Judge Pen
05-10-2006, 06:39 AM
I was aiming it more at rufntuffgirl. It's a fairly common freestyle posture, they wait for the attck, slip it and come in with a backfist/reverse punch combo. The other guy's kick was too good for him though.

Yeah, I've fought guys like that. I think its better strategy to keep your guard up when you're waiting for an attack though. Make them come through your guard if they're going to knock you out.

Crushing Fist
05-10-2006, 06:55 AM
I'll often put my guard down to bait my opponent...

but I try to make sure I know how this opponent moves first.

as an opening gambit against a new opponent it can easily get you KTFO

if they are faster, you better keep them dogs up!

Judge Pen
05-10-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm old and slow, so the less I have to move, the better.

brothernumber9
05-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Billy Blanks was known more for his point fighting prowess than for forms. He was 5 time AAU national champion I beleive. One of his stand out techniques was a cartwheel axe kick that he was rather successful with.

Judge Pen
05-10-2006, 08:13 AM
One of his stand out techniques was a cartwheel axe kick that he was rather successful with.

:eek: Is that street legal?

dwid
05-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Billy Blanks was known more for his point fighting prowess than for forms. He was 5 time AAU national champion I beleive. One of his stand out techniques was a cartwheel axe kick that he was rather successful with.

And a common tactic in no contact or light contact point sparring is to keep the hands down, as protecting yourself is moot. It can be extremely frustrating because often points are awarded to your opponent even if you slip the attack, but because there is no actual contact, you would actually have to lunge forward awkwardly to block. Maybe this was a point sparring competition and the opponent just misjudged the distance, or simply did what I always wanted to do back when I participated in this kind of competition - take it up a notch.

That just reminds me of how much I hate point sparring. Worst idea to ever come out of traditional martial arts. Becoming better at it actually makes you a substantially worse fighter than having no training at all.

Judge Pen
05-10-2006, 08:28 AM
That just reminds me of how much I hate point sparring. Worst idea to ever come out of traditional martial arts. Becoming better at it actually makes you a substantially worse fighter than having no training at all.

I think it can be a good exercise or game at times, but you should never expect to win at it if you plan to use techniques that would actually work.

The last time I participated in a point sparring tournament I did well by using on technique. Left leg side kick. Just good timing and good angles. Plus I kept a good guard so they would have to go around my guard with any hopes of hitting me. That opened them up for a good low side kick to the ribs.

But, it's a whole different, and infinitely better, game when you put on the head gear and go non-stop. You learn a lot about your martial ability when you do that.

dwid
05-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I think it can be a good exercise or game at times, but you should never expect to win at it if you plan to use techniques that would actually work.

Exactly. Therefore it is totally counterproductive to developing combat ability, as it ingrains habits that are actually worse than the instincts of someone with no training at all.

When I point sparred, my most effective technique was a lunging, center level front punch. Extremely effective against people with a point sparring mentality, particularly in a kicking art.

RUFNTUFGIRL
05-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Ben Gash
I was just being cute. Ya gotta love Billy.

PangQuan
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
billy gotta love getting at least one arm up :p

i dont get it, he saw it coming, he moved back with the punch, it looked like he let it phase him when i glanced off his dome, but he failed to follow up with his defense for the obvious kick...

musta been his rookie day's

but i hear his tai bo skeelz are solid :D

Billy - 3 street cred.

Fitdoc
05-10-2006, 05:12 PM
I dont know if that fighter is actually BB. I've met, talked with, and taken photos with BB and i cant even tell if the dude in that video is him. The discussion about the martial arts aspect of the video is certainly valid, but to say the gentleman who gets kicked is BB is guessing (just by looking at that video).

jethro
05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
It would be nice to be able to see a clip of that match longer than 2 seconds.

qiphlow
05-10-2006, 08:01 PM
ok, i just saw the clip.

god****! like a f**king tree he fell! ouch!

Judge Pen
05-11-2006, 04:02 AM
I dont know if that fighter is actually BB. I've met, talked with, and taken photos with BB and i cant even tell if the dude in that video is him. The discussion about the martial arts aspect of the video is certainly valid, but to say the gentleman who gets kicked is BB is guessing (just by looking at that video).
To be fair, I don't know that its BB either. That's what it said in the link I posted. I would like to see more clips of Billy sparring, in general, just to see how good he was at the game of point sparring.

David Jamieson
05-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Always remember that baiting is only useful if you have the tactics to counter. :p

RUFNTUFGIRL
05-11-2006, 05:13 AM
Isn't baiting more enjoyable when you don't have a plan???:p