PDA

View Full Version : Crosstraining Management

Lee Potier
05-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Hi,

For a while now i have been researching into different martial arts not only to see what would be effective in a street situation but also what would be well suited to me, i.e. my character, mentality, body structure and fitness level.
Having come to the conclusion that i want a well rounded ability in a confrontational situation i have decided to learn both Brazilian Ju Jitsu/Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. These both complement each other well for both effective stand up fighting and ground fighting/grappling. Both have sufficient take downs within their syllabus also.
The one issue i have with learning both of these arts (at the same time) is the issue of mangement. Will i be able to learn them both efficiently at the same time or will it be too much to take on board? I have found two centres in my local area, the first of whch mainly focusses on kickboxing rather than Muay Thai but gives well rounded stand up techniques (and has a training video of students and teachers). The second of which teaches both arts individually.
1. http://www.appliedfightingsystems.co.uk/. 2. http://www.sleepingstorm.com/. Apparently the sleeping storm dojo has world class instructors whereas the caterham AFS has well rounded instructors but they are only at blue/purple belt level of jiu jitsu.
Thoughts on management issues of both arts would be appreciated. i realise that Muay Thai can be one of the more simplistic arts, yet i am fully prepared to dedicate a lot of time and effort to both styles. Would it be too much to manage if i did both at the same time?

Thanks,

Lee

SanHeChuan
05-09-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm all for people training what ever art they chose, but this is a KUNG FU forum! :p

That being said, training both wont be a problem as long as you have the time, and I'd go with #2.

David Jamieson
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
One can develop Kungfu in any field of study. :p

don't matter what you call it, it matters what your goal is.

Chief Fox
05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Check out both schools, tell them what you have in mind, see what they say, go to the one that works for you.

ninthdrunk
05-09-2006, 10:14 AM
would it be feasible to find a mma school that teaches both jiu jitsu and tha boxing? Don't a lot of mma schools combine those very same systems?

I'm not sure about that, but someone on here could certainly offer more info. If that's the case, you could seek out such a school, since the instructors would have spent some time balancing the two, and learning how to synthesize the two differing methodologies.