PDA

View Full Version : general sparring tips?

dainos
05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
i am have a problem with defending against people who like to use hooks to rap around and hit me and the back and tend to grab alot.
i would like some tips on this and any tips you feel like posting

WanderingSifu
05-10-2006, 09:09 PM
pls elaborate on the type of hooks. Is it boxing hook punch or those typical of preying mantis hooks.

joedoe
05-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Are the hooks aimed at your head or your back? Where are they grabbing you?

David Jamieson
05-11-2006, 05:15 AM
shrimp up and use destructions to dissolve hooks.

when yer shrimped, keep your guard up.

when you see the hook coming, the destruction motion is akin to slicking your hair and creates a shield on the side of your head. You can eat a hook with this move and counter with your other side.

if you need pictures just ask, Im sure I can find examples, but you have to promise to do a google on shrimping and a google on pugilistic destructions first.

Oso
05-11-2006, 08:36 AM
accept the hooks and drive deeper in to them. if you are inside the outermost arc of the hook then it hurts less.

Judge Pen
05-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I agree with Oso, the hooks have significantly less power when you drive into the opponent. The shedding (or destruction) techniques that DJ described are great to help carry the hook past you as you move in. Just keep you guard up and be ready to launch into an immediate counter.

Oso
05-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I agree with Judge Pen agreeing with me. :D

Judge Pen
05-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Which brings us to your second issue; grabbing. I assume you mean they use they chling on your arms and shoulders when you close distance on them?

Wildwoo
05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Kick 'em in the nads!!!! Datz what I doo.........:D

dainos
05-13-2006, 09:12 PM
they tend to grab forearms that just mostly bugs me. any blocks would help from the back? i was also thinking of putting more power in my blocks

basically what we are doing is one attack and one defending after a minute or two switch off. i have a feeling if he keeps grabbing im going to have to head butt him in the solar plexus

Oso
05-15-2006, 05:49 AM
you must have one pointy head. ;)

so, he's trapping/sealing your arms and hook punching around the same side as the arm he has trapped to hit you in the ribs?

If so...

counter grab as soon as they start to lay on and circle to the outside of the arm he is using to seal your arm and give him the same but quicker.

you could also attempt a chin na or throw them.

if they 'keep' doing it then there should be some predictability in their movement.

dainos
05-15-2006, 02:31 PM
thank you guys i will keep those in mind when i do the drill again

MyDrills
05-17-2006, 11:17 PM
i am have a problem with defending against people who like to use hooks to rap around and hit me and the back and tend to grab alot.
i would like some tips on this and any tips you feel like posting

I suggest you practice low stances (cat stance, cross-leg, front stance) combination. you can let the opponent attack you without fighting back.

practice the stances until the movement comes out natural. your feet will know where to go automatically, you can keep phase even with very fast opponent.

play the distance, safe and unsafe.

keep center of gravity low for balance

low stance will give ur opponent such a small target.

relax your arms and shoulder. your opponent is like grabing air when he tried to hook your arms.

your opponent will have hardtime trying to catch you before he can make the grab or hook.

i hope this help.

MyDrills
05-17-2006, 11:24 PM
I agree with Oso, the hooks have significantly less power when you drive into the opponent. The shedding (or destruction) techniques that DJ described are great to help carry the hook past you as you move in. Just keep you guard up and be ready to launch into an immediate counter.

thats true if the one doing the hook is not an expert. if an expert hook or grab you, even if you move forward you'll be drag all over the place.

just sharing :)

Oso
05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
thats true if the one doing the hook is not an expert. if an expert hook or grab you, even if you move forward you'll be drag all over the place.

just sharing :)

well, it's not like you wouldn't be doing unto him as much as you can while you're in there.

I agree with you as I'll hook punch to wrap the head as well.

It just works better for me to get inside and short punch and grab the head or get underhooks and throw...so, of course, I think that's the mack daddy of all options. :D ;)

MyDrills
05-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Oso, sorry, i was not referring to hook punch, just hooking.

Oso
05-22-2006, 03:31 AM
ah, ok.

but, still, I'd do the same thing. :)

Judge Pen
05-22-2006, 03:49 AM
Oso, sorry, i was not referring to hook punch, just hooking.

I was referring to hook punches also MD. :)

MyDrills
05-22-2006, 07:29 PM
:) :)

my advise were wat to do if ur opponent is hooking, not hook punches hehehe

anyways, i hope you guys appreciate my earlier post. hope you know what i mean by that. :)

dainos
06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
thanks for the great stuff guys and its been a while sense i last looked at this but i think i hav the hooks blocking down now i just need to practice with the other seinors and hopefully not get creamed. what do you like do to in a fight?

i tend not to low stances unless im going to hit him hard cause its not smart going into a low stance when the guy your fighting is lots stronger than you and skilled