PDA

View Full Version : Jackie’s Charity work

GeneChing
05-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Jackie Chan named a 'generous celebrity' (http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-to.people11may11,0,624638.column?coll=bal-artslife-today)

Forbes.com has named Jackie Chan one of 10 generous celebrities, placing the Hong Kong action film star among the ranks of Bono, Oprah Winfrey and Angelina Jolie.

The Web site said that Chan, who set up the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation, gave $64,000 to UNICEF to help tsunami victims in Asia in December 2004, and recently donated $100,000 to Chrysalis, a Los Angeles-based charity for the homeless.

Besides Chan, Bono, Winfrey and Jolie, the other generous celebrities identified by Forbes.com are Nicolas Cage, Sandra Bullock, Steven Spielberg, Celine Dion, Paul McCartney and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The 10 celebrities were not ranked.

jethro
05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
ya know you always hear about all the charities oprah gives to, and of course we know about the cars she gave away:p and we always hear about angelina adopting as many kids as she possibly can. And while there is nothing wrong with that, I don't hear about what jackie chan gives away. Maybe he is like all the rest and tries to do the greatest and most generous things possible just to get his name out there, but he doesn't seem to gloat or at least have the camera's drool over him. So nice job jackie, I knew you were a good person, but now I certainly have more respect for your human side :) which we rarely hear about until jean claude is ramming his motorcycle into a light pole.

GeneChing
05-11-2006, 04:00 PM
As August West mentioned in his article THE MYTH: Jackie Chan's Stir-fries HERO, MUSA and Lara Croft Chop Suey Style (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658) Jackie is an ambassador for UNICEF. But he's actually done charity work for a long time. I covered his work saving tigers in the 1998 NOV/DEC Issue of World of Martial Arts (http://www.martialartsmart.net/wm-806.html) - he still is a spokesperson for tiger preservation through Wild Aid (http://www.wildaid.org/index.asp?CID=7). The last time I saw Jackie, it was under the auspices of charitable branch, the Tiger Claw Foundation. Go to www.tigerclawfoundation.org (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org/), click "friends" and then "Friends of Shaolin", then scroll down to 'Traces of the dragon.' I penned an article about that - see Traces of the Dragon: Jackie Chan’s New Movie Benefits Self-Help for the Elderly in our Sep Oct 2004 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=531).

jethro
05-11-2006, 04:35 PM
gene, I hope you realize what I was saying. it seems like a lot of celebs get a news team around them and then decide what charity they are going to give to and how much they will be giving. Or else they will have a tv special, it is sickening. The fact that jackie isn't known by me, might not be saying much since I don't ever get out:p but I like it more when I have to investigate for what charities they gave to. People like Manute Bol(7 foot 7 former NBAer) spend ALL of their time AND all of their money in helping out charities. Because they don't think of it as charity, manute bol just wants to do his part to fix the problems in hi scountry. I haven't looked for the awrds yet, but I saw you said you had to follow his tiger charity. Now bringing "your" charity to a well known status is great and all but only when it is something to really help out the world. i guess tiger's are important, but to be honest I like to have to look and see that people are going out and in more of a broad attempt like curing diseases and giving money to the poor. I really don't see why we have all these freaking charities when nothing ever gets resolved in this world. Obviously I went off base a wee but there but it really eats at me every time I see a celebrity saying "hey I am gonna cure the world". I mean get in line. But then again, I'm sure that I am doing plenty by donating 5 bucks a week to various people cups out side of grocery stores.

Now it does seem like I am ripping jackie, but don't worry, much respect for that man.

And I would start my own blog but I don't want anyone to find out that i am actually juna.

BM2
05-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Actually GM gave the cars away. I suppose because it was on her show, she gave them away. :rolleyes:
I have read about Jackie Chan for quite awhile now. When he fell from the limb and landed on the boulder sending bone fragments into his brain I thought he might not recover or even die. I guessing that was around '86. I have read, don't know how accurate it is, that he is in pain from all the injuries he has received through the years as a stunman and actor. He seems to be a fine gentleman and a good person.

jethro
05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I read an interview(maybe here) where he says he breaks bones sometimes just by walking. But it's pry all worth it, for us at least. Check out the end of drunken master when hwang lays into him and jackie takes the kick, not fall back like most actors before the kick even connect. No, he waited for the kick to land and fully absorbed it, AWESOME. Jackie is the man.

BM2
05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
When doing a scene with SuperFoot Wallace, Jackie didn't like how it came out. The scene involved Bill punching at Jackie while Jackie was on his back in a building under construction. Bill had a circular saw in which he punched at Jackie with, a real circular saw that was on. Jackie told Bill that he would scream this time and the was the que to hit him with the saw as he would turn as he screamed. In reality Jackie screamed, waited a split second for realism, then turned as the blade made contact with the plywood next to his head. Bill Wallace said it scared him so much that he would not do another movie with him.

jethro
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
what movie is that from????

GeneChing
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
The Protector was THE WORST Jackie Chan film ever. It was worse than Tuxedo. I've tried to block them both out of my mind, but I think the Wallace Chan fight was the Protector...

BM2
05-16-2006, 09:54 PM
The Protector is not...what I consider to be one of his better movies and I think that is the one. However it is no way near the same as Phantom Force mission or something like that. Ummm and there is the one about the ghosts teaching him Kung Fu. But that one where the Nazis are driving a Nova ,or something like that from the 1970s with Nazi stuff painted with what appears to be a spray can, is bad, realllllyyyy baaadddd. It is supposed to be the 1940s!!!! Talk about cheap props!!!! He has a couple of cameos then the fight scene at the end.

GeneChing
05-17-2006, 10:08 AM
That's the one where Jackie learns kung fu from some goofy spirits in the Shaolin library. They were all white with silly red wigs. That was great! Much better than the Protector. My favorite part was when Jackie pees on the spirits because they're hiding behind the shelf and they come out all wet and ****ed off (naturally) then resign themselves to teaching him. It's a great old school kung fu funky flick.

jethro
05-17-2006, 05:00 PM
if lo wei knew how to make movies, it would have been good. Magnificent bodyguards is a great one, killer meteors is almost as good, and I honestly liked to kill with intrigue. Karate ghostbuster could have been a lot better, but was still very watchable, once. And bm2, phantasy mission force wasn't very good. But it does have it's moments(brigitte lin is in it).

BM2
05-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Since it has been about 20 years since I watched Spirtural Kung Fu I'll have to take your word for it.
And I swear I recall a skull and cross bones on that Nazi Chevy too! Unintentionaly funny.
Wish I could remember the movie Jackie says he feels sorry for anyone that sat through the entire movie.
Now I like Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. I had lent the VHS tape of it to a guy and when I got it back the last fight scene was missing. He had spliced it back. I have the DVD now, the good one. Didn't know there were different ones. Bought one of the bad ones first.

GeneChing
10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I gotta give props to Jackie (and Jet (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36920)) about their charity work. They might not be turning out the best martial arts films anymore, but at least they still honor wude and give to the needy.

Jackie Chan: Special Olympics gives hope to parents of mentally challenged (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-10/02/content_6823009.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-10-02 18:06:04

SHANGHAI, Oct. 2 (Xinhua) -- World famous kungfu star Jackie Chan expressed his appreciation to Special Olympics just hours before the opening ceremony in Shanghai, telling the press that the event may give hope to parents of intellectually disabled children.

"I went to many countries to promote Special Olympics, through which I know there are so many misfortunes," Jackie said. "Special Olympics may give them hope, transforming misfortunes into fortunes."

Jackie Chan said that he is honored to do such things." The so-called intellectually disabled are all the same as us, and in some areas, they could be even more talented. It is really interesting to communicate with them."

Jackie Chan has attended many promotion activities for the mentally challenged, from which he said he has learned a lot. "I was shocked by their performance. Their courage impressed me a lot."

As for the 2007 Special Olympics World Summer Games in Shanghai itself, Jackie Chan said. "it tells the world our efforts to express humanism."

GeneChing
11-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Maybe not, but this seemed as good a thread as any to post this (not sure about the love and kisses part):

Jackie in kung fu offer to Charles (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/pa-entertainment-news/Jackie-in-kung-fu-offer.3439479.jp)

Martial arts legend Jackie Chan has offered to teach the Prince of Wales kung fu.
Charles received the unusual invitation at an awards ceremony in London to recognise the achievements of "unsung heroes" among the UK's Chinese community.

In a video message recorded in China, where he is making a film, Chan promised to drop everything if the Prince took up his offer.

Apologising for not being there in person, the Rush Hour star said: "I send all my love and kisses ... especially for Prince Charles. If you want to learn some kung fu, give me a call, I will come right away."

The Prince's attendance at the Pearl Awards at the Royal Festival Hall capped off a China-themed day, which began with a visit to London's Chinatown with the Duchess of Cornwall.

Charles introduced the awards by praising the 250,000-strong UK Chinese community's "significant and largely unsung contribution to national life".

He cited Chinese cuisine, traditional Chinese medicine, China's "precocious and brilliant musicians" - and even an "extremely talented and industrious" young man from China who recently joined his office.

Drake
11-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Why has no one mentioned Fearless Hyena????

"I am Willow Sword!"

GeneChing
12-05-2007, 12:37 PM
...maybe I should re-title this Jackie's extracurricular work or Jackie's causes...

Chan helps ice piracy in China (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117976942.html?categoryid=19&cs=1)
Actor to be featured on antipiracy magnets
By CLIFFORD COONAN
BEIJING -- Hong Kong thesp Jackie Chan will be featured on 200,000 antipiracy refrigerator magnets to be distributed by the Motion Picture Assn. and China Film Copyright Protection Assn. in China.

The magnets will be given to film fans who buy authentic copies of "Perfect Stranger," "The Bourne Ultimatum" and "No Reservations."

The magnets feature a message from Chan, a legend on the mainland, thanking buyers for protecting the film industry by choosing not to buy a pirated pic.

Also backing the campaign is Amazon.com's China operation, Amazon.cn (also known as Joyo.com).

Amazon.cn, the largest online vendor for books, music and video in China, plans to advertise the campaign on its website for the first month and will publicize the campaign in a newsletter distributed to millions of its customers.

The MPA reckons that in 2005, its members lost $6.1 billion to worldwide piracy, with piracy across the Asia-Pacific region accounting for $1.2 billion of that figure.

GeneChing
12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Extra credit to anyone who can find a vid clip of the ad...

China launches TV AIDS awareness campaign to promote safe sex (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-12/06/content_7211889.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2007-12-06 20:07:33

BEIJING, Dec. 6 (Xinhua) -- China launched a large-scale television public service announcement campaign, produced by Oscar-winners and featuring superstars such as Jackie Chan, on Thursday to promote safe sex and combat HIV/AIDS.

Hundreds of millions of members of the public will see the television campaign on TV at home, on China Central Television, on the Internet, or on big screens at the airport, train stations and on buses, next year, with the help of commercial media outlets and advertisement sector partners.

The public service announcements, called "Life is Too Good", feature Jackie Chan, Chinese renowned actor Pu Cunxin and one of the most famous Chinese sopranos Peng Liyuan.

As an "ambitious AIDS awareness campaign", the TV advertisements were created by Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon (who together won Best Documentary Oscar 2006), with the Ministry of Health (MOH), and distributed by the United Nation's Development Programme (UNDP).

Lennon, the producer of the public service announcement series, told reporters that, "Public discussion of condoms and safer sex is difficult; that's true in China, just as it is in every country in the world."

According to an earlier report on the country's AIDS situation released by the MOH, sex has become the main channel of contracting the HIV virus.

The report said among 50,000 cases of newly contracted HIV/AIDS in the past year, more than half contracted the virus through unsafe sex.

Pu, who has made a great contribution to the public campaign about AIDS control and prevention, said condoms, a long-time taboo topic in China, was actually a "scientific breakthrough" that benefited the health of mankind.

Hundreds of millions of migrant workers have no "normal family life", Pu told reporter. "We should tell the public the significance of condoms," he said.

Pu became a MOH publicity member for HIV/AIDS prevention and control in 2000. Since then he has used his fame and influence to participate in various HIV educational campaigns.

The ads show Pu's lyrical bicycle journey through a modern Chinese city passing several young lovers on the street, and leading folk singer Peng Liyuan congratulates young graduates who celebrate their last day of high school. They remind people, "Condoms reduce risk. Please protect yourself."

The last act show action film master Jackie Chan preparing his cast and crew for a dangerous stunt -- a good movie needs danger, he explains, but in life, "we need to be safe", he told people.

Though the rate of AIDS growth has slowed, the government has admitted the situation "remains grave". Official reports say there are estimated to be as many as 700,000 people living with HIV/AIDS in China, a country with a population of 1.3 billion.

Subinay Nandy, UNDP China Country Director, said the public awareness campaign and multi-sector partnership demonstrates willingness in China to address HIV issues.

Participating media companies in the campaign include Air Media, Beijing City TV Media, EPIN Media Holdings Ltd., Towona Mobile Media, and www.56.com which is China's largest online video-sharing site.

Over 1.5 million visitors have already viewed the ads on the 56.com website since their debut on Nov. 30, according to the website operator. The website has over 20 million registered users aged between 18 and 30.

By donating air time on their video advertisement platforms worth over 1.5 million. U.S. dollars, hundreds of millions of people are expected to view the ads every month over the next year.

Yang and Lennon won the Oscar for Best Documentary -- Short Subject at the 2006 Academy Awards for their documentary "The Blood of Yingzhou District" about children orphaned by AIDS in a poor village in east China's Anhui Province.

They also produced two AIDS campaigns on Chinese television, featuring Yao Ming and Magic Johnson (2004) and Peng Liyuan (2006).

Jingwu Man
12-11-2007, 12:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpCQ_zdfP5Y

:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdBG4gRBHTY
I have no idea what he's saying, so the explosions seem out of place.....

GeneChing
12-17-2007, 11:13 AM
I went to a presentation on sharks with Peter Benchley (author of Jaws) - that was through connections I retained through Jackie when I did some work with ACAP for Tiger preservation (see earlier post (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=674623)). I made me give up eating shark fin soup, which I loved. But I love sharks more.

BO DEREK - CHAN JOINS DEREK TO SAVE THE SHARKS (http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/chan%20joins%20derek%20to%20save%20the%20sharks_10 53737)

Actress BO DEREK has recruited action man JACKIE CHAN to her campaign to stop wildlife traffickers around the world. The 10 star has become a keen conservation activist after learning the sharks of the Galapagos Islands have become a target of poachers for their fins. Speaking on CNN show Larry King Live, Derek says, "When I first visited the Galapagos Islands Marine Reserve, I expected to see an untouched paradise. While it is still beautiful to the naked eye, behind the scenes, all is not well. "While there, I learned that the famous sharks of the Galapagos were under siege for their fins. "According to the Galapagos National Park Service, up to 10,000 fins have been seized, and they are mercilessly hacked off the shark and shipped to Asia to make shark fin soup. "I was charmed by the playfulness of the fearless and friendly sea lions I swam with. I learned that they, too, are sometimes slaughtered so they can be used as bait for the shark finners. "It made me realise that even the most remote wilderness is now touched by the global economy - in this case, the demand for products derived from protected wildlife." Derek has since teamed up with San Francisco-based conservation organisation, WildAid, to help in their effort to stop wildlife traffickers, and she has asked Rush Hour star Chan for his help in China. She adds, "Reaching China's 1.2 billion people is no easy task, but by recruiting the likes of Jackie Chan... and, with the support of Chinese state media, we are reaching nearly half the Chinese population with TV messaging."

GeneChing
02-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Here Jackie is doing a good deed and the media's only response is to bring up a sex scandal (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=845190). :rolleyes:

Jackie Chan Offers Aid For China Snowstorm Victims (http://batgwa.com/story.php?id=592)
9 February 2008
Emma Lam

To show his support for victims of the snowstorms in mainland China, Jackie Chan (成龍) showed his charitable nature today, joining forces with The Outdoor Shop (羽絨城) to present 400 down jackets to the Salvation Army to transport to the affected population.

The Salvation Army support workers will be taking their collection of donations to the three affected areas of Xiangxi and Yongzhou in Hunan province and also Anhui Province and distributing them to those in need.

Jackie revealed that this is the 13th year in which he has made donations to the Salvation Army.

Asked if he has heard about the recent sex photo scandal that has rocked Hong Kong's entertainment industry, Jackie said that he does not know anything and added that the media should pay more attention to more positive news because the victims of the disaster in China also need the coverage, so that they are brought to the attention of the public.

As for how he felt about the scandal, Jackie said that the media should not force the public into looking at these pictures and added that he is not in a position to comment any futher. Asked about the recent news that pictures of Edison Chen (陳冠希)'s current girlfriend Vincy Yeung (楊永晴) have been released, Jackie asked the reporters who Vincy was. When he was told that she is the daughter of Ricky Yeung (楊超成), brother of EEG boss Albert Yeung (楊受成), Jackie seemed uncomfortable and wanted to leave.

As he left, Jackie said that he will be quite busy in the near future because he will be filming some promotional clips for the Olympic Games equestrian events, that will be held in Hong Kong. He revealed that he will be doing some horse-riding and also going to Athens to help with the delivery of the Olympic flame.

doug maverick
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
so he helping people and they ask him about somthing that has nothing to do with him. what kind of bull**** is that.

GeneChing
02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
...but it seemed as good a place as any to put this.

Spotlight on Olympics for Jackie Chan (http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idINHKG30063620080212?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0)
Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:26pm IST
By James Pomfret

HONG KONG (Reuters Life!) - Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan will take a break from movies this year to promote the Beijing Olympics, and hopes the Games will inspire today's cyber-age Chinese kids to lead more active lives.

As a goodwill envoy for the Beijing Olympics, Chan has devoted himself this past year to promoting the Games, taking part in activities ranging from running with the Olympic torch in Greece to recording a countdown song.

He has also appeared in Olympic-themed commercials for credit card firm Visa, alongside Chinese basketball star Yao Ming.

"The Olympics isn't just about sport. It encompasses love, solidarity and a kind of spirit," the star of Hollywood films such as "Rush Hour" and "Rumble in the Bronx" told Reuters.

"This year, most of my time will be spent on promoting the Olympics," said Chan. "I'll have less time for films."

While Kung Fu may be more his thing, Chan's zeal recently saw him pull on horse-riding boots and hat for a video promoting Hong Kong's role in the Olympics this summer, with Beijing having switched equestrian events to the city after it failed to establish a disease-free zone for horses.

"See you in Hong Kong 2008, Olympic equestrian co-host city," said Chan, clad in full riding gear while holding the reins of a dark horse called "Fortune Tycoon", as the cameras rolled.

Chan, a horse owner and enthusiast, who has ridden horses in films such as "The Myth", was filmed at the Hong Kong Jockey Club's Beas River country club, which will host some of the former British colony's equestrian events during the Games.

Hong Kong is one of only a handful of Chinese cities to stage Olympic events outside of Beijing. The coastal city of Qingdao is another and will host some watersports events.

Hong Kong officials are hoping to cash in on its Olympic role by drawing more tourists and boosting the city's aspirations to become an entertainment hub in Asia.

"It's a golden opportunity for us to promote Hong Kong as an events capital and ... we'll try our very best to try and boost the short-term arrivals during the event," said Kenneth Wong, the head of consumer marketing at the Hong Kong Tourism Board.

Chan, who was trained in martial arts and acrobatics as a child and started his career as a stunt-man, also hopes the Olympic spirit will rub off on the current crop of Chinese and Hong Kong kids.

"In this age, it's necessary to do more to promote sports, so that children don't just sit at home and play computer games ... we need to do more to promote sports (as) sports can nurture more love and understanding between people,

"In the past, all I did every day was sport, sport and more sport. We didn't even know how to switch on a computer," Chan added with a laugh.

GeneChing
02-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I never knew he was into horses...

Jackie Chan promotes Olympic equestrian event (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-02/14/content_7601513.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2008-02-14 10:12:07

BEIJING, Feb. 14 -- Jackie Chan saddled up for a video to promote the 2008 Olympics' equestrian event.

In this photo released by the Hong Kong Tourism Board, Hong Kong action movie star Jackie Chan poses while riding a horse Monday, Feb. 11, 2008, during the filming of an advertisement for the Hong Kong Tourism Board to promote the 2008 Olympics' equestrian event to be held in Hong Kong. (Photo: China Daily/Agencies)

In the 30-second video, the 53-year-old "Rush Hour" star urges audiences to visit his hometown of Hong Kong to watch the event and introduces various local tourist sites, Mayee Tang, a spokeswoman for the Hong Kong Tourism Board, which is producing the video, said Wednesday.

Chan recorded the dialogue in both English and Mandarin Chinese, and the video was to be aired in mainland China and foreign markets, Tang said.

Photos posted on Chan's official website show the action star sitting on a horse, resplendent in riding gear, including a black helmet, black suit jacket, white tie and black boots.

Chan's video, shot Monday, highlights efforts to promote one of the Olympics' more low-profile events.

The Hong Kong Jockey Club has spent about 100 million U.S. dollars on upgrading existing venues and building new ones for the Olympic equestrian competition, which will take place Aug. 9 to Aug. 20.

In other promotional efforts for the 29th Olympics, Chan also recorded the event's official one-year countdown song, "We Are Ready."

GeneChing
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Jackie Chan Science Centre?

Karate legend a big kick for our tourism (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23348228-5014090,00.html)
By Ben Packham March 10, 2008 12:00am

KARATE legend Jackie Chan could soon be selling Australia in China as a favour to Kevin Rudd.

Chan dined with the PM at the weekend, together with the Chinese and US ambassadors.

"I've known Kevin for a few years," Chan said yesterday. "Last night before he left, I said whenever he calls, I'll be there."

Over dinner, they discussed the environment, Chinese-Australian relations and "some secret I cannot say yet", Chan said.

The hugely popular movie star would be invaluable in promoting Australia in the world's most populous nation.

Chan is already a tourism ambassador for the Pacific region, including Australia.

He was in Australia for the funeral of his father, a former US embassy chef and a Canberra resident for more than 46 years.

Yesterday he attended the opening of the Jackie Chan Science Centre, which he helped establish, at the Australian National University.

Martial arts star gives something back to father's town (http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/martial-arts-star-gives-something-back-to-fathers-town/2008/03/09/1204998282864.html)
Action hero Jackie Chan hams it up with Kevin Rudd at the opening of the science centre Chan has funded at the ANU.
Jewel Topsfield, Canberra
March 10, 2008

WHAT do cult kung fu action hero Jackie Chan and Prime Minister Kevin Rudd have in common?

"A lot", according to the PM — and apparently it's not their mutual fondness for innovative stunts, their comic timing, their acting ability or even their fluency in Mandarin.

"No, we're not both movie stars. No, I'm terrible at martial arts," Mr Rudd told a bemused media pack at the opening of the Jackie Chan Science Centre at the Australian National University yesterday.

Describing the international star of the Rush Hour franchise and The Tuxedo as a "good friend", Mr Rudd said they had both worked as builders' labourers in Canberra in the 1970s.

"He did the work of three men for one year. I lasted for 24 hours," said Mr Rudd, who said he had dined with Chan the night before.

(For a man who has admitted he was not cool at school, Mr Rudd has a Tony Blairesque penchant for hanging out with celebrities, including Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman — whose Wolverine character, wags suggest, was the inspiration for the PM's longer sideburns.)

Chan, whose father lived for four decades in Canberra, had a brief stint as a brickie in the national capital after his first martial art films flopped in Hong Kong and he struggled to find work as a stunt man.

According to the BBC, a fellow construction worker named Jack took Chan under his wing. Although Chan's real name was Chan Kong Sang, the pair were jokingly referred to as Big Jack and Little Jack on site.

Over time, Little Jack became Jackie, the name that finally stuck and became known worldwide.

"Jackie was a resident of the city, therefore we regard him as one of Australia's and Canberra's own," Mr Rudd said.

The action hero and the PM then demonstrated another shared trait — shameless pandering to the media — as they posed kung fu style with arms outstretched and fists clenched.

A day after attending a memorial service for his father, Chan opened the eponymous centre, which displays the work of some of the university's best scientists and ongoing research.

"Canberra took care of my parents for 46 years," said Chan, who funded the centre. "It's about time I do something for Canberra."

Martial arts star gives science a healthy kick along (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/martial-arts-star-gives-science-a-healthy-kick-along/2008/03/09/1204998283820.html)
Once were labourers … Jackie Chan and his former workmate Kevin Rudd at the opening of the science education centre yesterday.
Stephanie Peatling
March 10, 2008

"AS MY father told me, say less, do more," the action movie star Jackie Chan said yesterday at the opening of the new science education centre that bears his name at the Australian National University in Canberra.

The advice came only after some welcoming remarks by the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, who pointed out he did not share with his "good friend" international movie star status and an excellent command of martial arts.

Nor did he share the sleek black suit and regulation action hero sunglasses. But the pair did share some work experience.

"In the 1970s in Canberra we both lived here and we were both builders' labourers. He did the work of three men for one year. I lasted for 24 hours," Mr Rudd said.

It was during his stint as a labourer that Chan was first dubbed Jackie.

A co-worker by the name of Jack kept an eye out for him and he became known as Little Jack.

The name stuck.

The Jackie Chan Science Centre will showcase the research of the John Curtin School of Medical Research at the Australian National University.

Chan made a donation to cancer research at the university in 2002 in memory of his late mother, Lee Lee Chan. Four years later another sizeable donation made the education centre a possibility.

Chan opened the centre the day after attending a memorial service for his father, Charlie, who died in a Hong Kong hospital last week, aged 93.

Mr and Mrs Chan moved to Canberra in 1962 to work at the US embassy and never left. "Canberra took care of my parents for 46 years," their son said yesterday. "It's about time I do something for Canberra."

GeneChing
03-12-2008, 09:34 AM
There's more on Lydia if you search.

Jackie's a hit with kids at cancer centre (http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/show/story/0,4136,158388,00.html)
March 07, 2008 Print Ready

HE lost his friend Lydia Sum to cancer two weeks ago.

And just last week, his father died after struggling with prostate cancer at the age of 93.

Despite all that, Jackie Chan was the consummate professional at the new Viva-University Cancer Centre of the National University Hospital (NUH) at 9am yesterday.

Just like his on-screen characters, he was a picture of fun and smiles, when he met young cancer patients as part of his role as the Ambassador of Goodwill for the hospital's Viva Foundation for Children with Cancer.

The 53-year-old Hong Kong superstar conducted a hands-on martial arts lesson for 10 children, most of them patients at the cancer centre, demonstrating some basic kung fu moves and urging them to imitate him.

Of his ambassador role, Jackie said: 'I see young children suffering, with their hair falling out because of chemotherapy.

'It breaks my heart, and it does remind me of my father. So naturally, I have to help them.'

Having had two people close to him dying of cancer, Jackie has seen the effects of the illness first-hand.

Yet, he said both Lydia and his father never let their health get them down.

Of Lydia, Jackie said in Mandarin: 'She was our 'kai xin guo', our 'fruit of happiness'.

'She brought us decades of happiness. When you think of laughter, you immediately think of her.'

He added that his father's 'cancer spread very fast'.

'But at least he was happy when he passed away.'

At the hospital yesterday, the children enthusiastically exhibited their martial arts skills to the action star, proudly showing off their high kicks and punches.

Launched in May 2006, the Viva Foundation is a joint venture between St Jude Children's Research Hospital in Tennessee and NUH.

It aims to improve the survival rate and treatment of childhood cancer, particularly leukaemia, in the region.

This is Jackie's second visit to NUH. He was there last year too, as part of his ambassador role.

This time, Jackie also dropped by at the Cancer Centre's Day Therapy Unit to distribute goodie bags bearing the logo of his hit movie Rob-B-Hood.

Before his arrival in the ward, many of the children were chattering excitedly about getting to meet the superstar.

Exclamations of 'Jackie Chan is coming!' could be heard echoing around the room.

As Jackie made his way through the ward, they scrambled to get his autograph.

However, he was also frank in his limited capacity to help the children.

He quipped: 'Depend on me for entertainment, but depend on doctors for health.'

And judging by the laughter and smiles on the little ones' faces yesterday, that was more than enough.

GeneChing
04-24-2008, 09:15 AM
perhaps i should change the title to Jackie's Activism.

Jackie Chan campaigns against piracy (http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainment/2008/04/22/jackie_chan_campaigns_against_piracy/7632/)
Published: April 22, 2008 at 9:10 PM

BEIJING, April 22 (UPI) -- Martial arts mega-celebrity Jackie Chan is putting his star power to work against film piracy in China, an industry executive says.

The huge billboard in Beijing's Silk Market has Chan saying: "Protect the movies, say NO to piracy." The billboard was joint effort of the Beijing Silk Street Co. and Chaoyang Model Anti-Copyright Infringement and Piracy-Free Zone, the Daily Variety reported Tuesday.

The Hong Kong actor's message is expected to reach more than 20 million people in the two weeks it will be up. The Silk Market is a shopping area once known for its counterfeit goods, including pirated DVDs.

"Chan's message to Beijing's citizens is direct and simple," said Mike Ellis, MPA's regional president and managing director.

The MPA recently announced the winners in a copyright protection-themed student film contest and last week signed an agreement with the seven most popular Chinese Web sites to promote copyright protection for U.S. movies.

GeneChing
07-03-2008, 09:37 AM
...but it has a nice pic of Jackie with a kwan dao (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-88.html). :)

Jackie Chan Promotes Hong Kong Tourism (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/07/03/1461s376526.htm)
2008-07-03 18:59:40

Kung Fu star Jackie Chan was featured in a new announcement for Hong Kong Tourism Board on Wednesday as a tourism ambassador.

Xinhua News Agency reported that Jackie Chan displayed some Kung Fu movies under the scorching sun, while wearing three layers of Kung Fu attire.

The filming attracted many passers-by for a glimpse of the superstar.

GeneChing
07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
It's also a Forbidden Kingdom (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42599) promo.

Jackie Chan attends Tokyo charity premiere for Sichuan quake victims (http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/jackie-chan-attends-tokyo-charity-premiere-for-sichuan-quake-victims)
Thursday 10th July, 07:37 AM JST
By Taro Fujimoto
TOKYO —

Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, 54, on Wednesday night attended the charity Japan premiere of his latest film “Forbidden Kingdom” (Japanese title “Dragon Kingdom”) in Tokyo. Chan said, “We received a lot of donations from Japan. I really thank you from the bottom of my heart. It’s not about how much you donated. Every donation is helpful.”

About 1,378,000 yen was raised from the 2,000 yen admission fee paid by each member of the audience to attend the premiere. The money will be donated to survivors of the Sichuan earthquake in China through the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation.

Chan will also hold a charity auction for earthquake relief aid in Miyagi and Iwate Prefectures. His original jacket and calabash used in the film, which symbolize his kung-fu action style, will be auctioned by Rakuten from July 20.

Director Rob Minkoff, 45, and Japanese celebrity Misako Yasuda, 26, also attended the premiere. The film will be released from July 26 nationwide.

GeneChing
08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
read carefully. ;)

Violence Must Only Be Used To Make Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars (http://www.theonion.com/content/opinion/violence_must_only_be_used_to?utm_source=onion_rss _daily)
By Jackie Chan
August 13, 2008 | Issue 44•33

Whenever I'm paid $200,000 to demonstrate my martial arts abilities and give a short speech to a gathering of young people, I always speak about the same thing: the epidemic of violence we see in our society today. Why do so many kids think using their fists is the answer to all of life's problems? Where do they get these ideas? That's why I'm using my status as the world's most famous martial arts movie star to teach children an important lesson.

Never, ever take a fist to another person unless you're profiting handsomely from it.

I was a child once, and I know what it's like to want to settle your differences with a fight. There were many times I dreamed about giving a swift roundhouse kick to the bullies who tormented me. And I could have, too. I was trained. Ready. But when I entered the Peking Opera School to learn kung fu, my master Yu Jim Yuen told me that the true warrior must never strike first. He must sit and wait—at least until he has secured a three-picture deal with Warner Bros. and has fully developed his persona as a highly marketable, family-friendly Bruce Lee.

Only then can you justly throw a large jug to someone to catch and then kick them in the face, shattering the jug, and their face.

I recall one bully who used to taunt me when I was growing up in Hong Kong. He would call me horrible names and try to egg me on, but I always stuck to my principles. "My friend, I have no quarrel with you," I would say. "I will not fight you unless I'm given $5 million up-front, 3 percent on the back end, and first rights to star in any sequels."

The bully would beat me soundly, of course, but there's a lesson here: Unless you're getting a good cut of the profits, you must turn the other cheek. If and only if the person fighting you is a trained martial artist or an actor, and only if you're on the set of your 12th blockbuster film and your performers' union is not on strike, only then should you grab hold of your enemy's arm, spin him and swing him around behind you to take out five other extras playing henchmen, slide down a tapestry, crash through a glass wall, quip a disarming one-liner, and finally set your sights on taking down the mafia boss character who is trying to turn your native village into a lucrative casino.

Remember: The wise fighter knows that violence may only need to be used once in an entire lifetime, especially if you have a good agent and can make sure the studio is giving you at least what they're paying Chris Tucker.

Using force should be avoided at all costs, so it is important to pursue all of your options when faced with an opponent. If they strike you in the stomach, try to talk it out. If they kick your chest, suggest taking some time apart to cool off before coming together to work through your differences. And if they have stolen a Ukrainian warhead, and you catch up to them at an abandoned warehouse, and they start throwing tables and chairs and anything in the vicinity at you, and the director has said, "Action," consider grabbing a nearby stepladder, swinging it around your back, and roundhousing them all in the face with its legs before twirling it around your neck, throwing the ladder up in the air to land over the biggest guy, and—while he's disoriented—punching him through the rungs. At least, that is what has always worked for me.

Sadly, I have seen many a young man fall victim to an obsession with his own power. This is why one must be always wary of self- serving thoughts. You may have a swift right hand and foot, and be able to knock your foe to the ground with just one punch, but what will you do when he rises up against you with three or four others? If you meditate on this, you will see the error. You have involved yourself in a group battle, and no one is filming it. You may have won the fight, but you have lost millions in box-office receipts, DVD sales, action-figure licensing deals, maybe even a very popular series of video games.

There is no honor in violence that doesn't make $67 million its opening weekend.

For now, I will leave you with this thought. If I have learned anything from my long and profitable career as a martial artist, it is that spitting a mouthful of industrial alcohol onto an opponent wielding a hot glass rod to make him catch on fire—even if it's being filmed for your smash hit, Drunken Master II—is wrong.

You should save a move that good for later in your career, when you're an established name and can command a larger percentage of the box-office gross.

GeneChing
12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
It's good to hear he's still working on helping out Sichuan. After the Olympics, everyone seems to have forgotten it. We haven't either. We're still taking donations. (http://tigerclawfoundation.org/)

Jackie Chan Jets Into China For Charity (http://www.asianbite.com/default.asp?display=2337)

Action star Jackie Chan has been in New Mexico lately filming his latest film, The Spy Next Door. But he took time off last week to do some charity work back in China.

The star flew to Hong Kong last weekend to launch a new Hermes scarf, the sales of which will raise money for the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation. The idea for the scarf first came when Chan was making Rush Hour 3 in Paris and met the CEO of Hermes.

“It took almost two years from the time we had that conversation until now when it’s all ready,“ said Chan. “I always thought it was so easy to make a scarf, but then I realized that there are so many steps involved; finally this year it was finished. It was supposed to be released in time for the Olympics, but it was delayed. Hermes only made 400 of these Les Tigreaux scarves.“

Following the launch he visited Guangzhou and Beijing in China to perform two charity shows and raise money for victims of the Sichuan earthquake.

“I want to tell you about a very special young girl that I met,“ he said. “This girl was caught in the Sichuan earthquake and when the building she was in collapsed, her leg became trapped. To save her life, she cut off her own leg. First she used a rock and then she when the firemen came to save her, they couldn’t get to her, so she told them to hand her a saw. She used the saw to cut her leg off and free herself. I think she is the bravest girl I ever met in my whole life. Afterwards, the bone in her leg became infected and she had to have more of her leg removed. But now she is finally getting better. I brought her to Beijing to have a prosthetic leg put on. She was very happy, but she kept worrying about the cost and I told her that it was okay….not to worry; we would take care of her.“

After a series of press conferences and the filming of a commercial, Chan jumped back on a plane to America to continue filming his new movie.

Jackie Chan finds a way to look good for a good cause (http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCMP/menuitem.2c913216495213d5df646910cba0a0a0/?vgnextoid=dfdf940d45ded110VgnVCM100000360a0a0aRCR D&vgnextfmt=teaser&ss=Cityseen&s=Life)
Andrew Sun
Dec 01, 2008
You can never accuse Jackie Chan of being lazy. Last Friday, the star flew all the way home from New Mexico, where he's been shooting a movie, to attend an event for his charity. Just hours after landing, the Hong Kong icon put his promotional face on for luxury house Hermes, which has chosen his Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation to be the beneficiary of a limited-edition Les Tigreaux printed scarf. The press conference, held at the label's soon-to-open shop at 5 Canton Road, revealed that only 400 tiger scarves are available here and in Macau

GeneChing
02-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Jack Tu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=784) told me a story about going antique shopping with Jackie. I thought that was pretty cool...:cool:

Jackie Chan Offered to Donate Antique Chinese Houses (http://www.asianbite.com/default.asp?display=2497)
* February 12, 2009 19:49

Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan is donating antique wooden houses from China worth more than $100 million to Singapore's upcoming fourth university.

The structures, now sitting in a warehouse in Hong Kong, are from the private collection of gongfu king Chan, a lover of Chinese history.

They consist of seven wooden housing structures and a performing stage originating from the Ming and Qing dynasties dating back more than 200 years. The houses are anchored in stone slabs.

These rare examples of Chinese housing from a bygone era are set to be displayed at the new university's campus in Changi South when it is completed in 2011, according to a story in Lianhe Zaobao yesterday.

The Chinese newspaper also reported Chan's property manager Simon Kwan as saying that the popular star wanted the precious objects to be in safe-keeping.

Chan, 54, had originally approached the Hong Kong government about donating his collection but changed his mind when it did not respond quickly enough, the report said.

He decided on Singapore because his collection would be of educational value to the students seeing it on campus.

Mr Kwan declined to go into details about the project when contacted by Life!.

However, he confirmed that Chan had met local government officials at the site of the upcoming university last year to discuss his intended donation.

The tertiary institution will be built on land originally earmarked for the now-aborted Asian campus of the University of New South Wales and will offer courses in design, engineering, architecture and business.

Mr Kwan, 52, who handles Chan's property deals here, said there should be 'no problem bringing these structures out of China'.

But he added that additional 'paperwork on how to transport these structures and getting a local architect to put them together' has to be done before anything can be finalised.

He also said that the collection, which has 'stones taller than a man, that hold the wooden structures together', had been amassed by antique-lover Chan over nearly 20 years.

His collecting passion was also influenced by his late father, who loved old Chinese wooden houses. Chan's dad, Charlie, died in February last year at the age of 93 after battling cancer.

The star's love of all things historical can be seen in his property purchases here. He owns the 105-year-old Jinriksha Station at 1 Neil Road, once the central depot for rickshaw drivers in Singapore, and the four-storey The 50s complex. Both are historic buildings within the Neil Road conservation area.

He also has contemporary interests, owning condo units in the Orchard Road area, and opened Jackie Chan's Cafe, Coffee and Tea at 1 Nassim Road two years ago.

Life! asked Mr Jeffrey Goh, principal architect at local firm GP Design, about what might be involved in putting Chan's antique houses on display.

His firm has not been approached about the project but Mr Goh said that for such old wooden houses, a lot of work would have to go into conserving doors, walls and pillars which 'might have intricate detailing because of their Chinese origins'.

The 59-year-old has done conservation work on more than 100 houses here in areas of special architectural interest such as Joo Chiat, Geylang, Selegie and North Bridge Road.

Rotting wood would also need to be replaced and this has to blend in with the original structure, he added.

He said: 'The project sounds very interesting and I wouldn't mind taking it up. But I would need to do a lot of research to find out more about these houses first.'

GeneChing
02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
...maybe it's not so bad in Singapore?

Martial Arts Star Theatens to Take His Collection to Singapore (http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/30567/martial-arts-star-theatens-to-take-his-collection-to-singapore/)
Published: February 26, 2009

HONG KONG—Movie star Jackie Chan would like to find a site to exhibit his collection of seven antique houses in his native Hong Kong. Barring that, he will take them to Singapore, Bloomberg reports.

The martial artist says that he has been asking the Hong Kong government for over a decade to find a site for his collection, which includes a house that is 480 years old; when he approached the Singapore government, it got back to him in a week.

Chan says that he would still prefer to house the houses in Hong Kong and he will withdraw his offer to Singapore if the Hong Kong government comes up with a solution.

GeneChing
05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
See our Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50969) for an update.

Jackie Chan Sings with Young Quake Survivors (http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/05/12/1261s483823.htm)
2009-05-12 09:14:08 Xinhua Web Editor: Xie Tingting
Jackie Chan Monday joined students who survived last year's earthquake in Sichuan, singing with them to help boost morale.

Hong Kong movie star Jackie Chan Monday joined students who survived last year's disastrous earthquake in southwestern China's Sichuan Province, singing with them to help boost morale among the teenagers on the eve of the quake's anniversary.

The 55-year-old star, best-known for his martial-arts films, came to Beichuan Middle School, one of the worst-hit schools in the quake, to sing a song titled "Nation" with students there.

The song was dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the founding of the PRC.

Chan and his team have been promoting the song since a music video of it was finished in April.

Chan unfurled a national flag covering 5,000 square meters on the school playground. His shouts of "Go! Beichuan" "Go! China" were echoed by about 1,000 students.

"I really feel the strength of our nation after the quake. The song gives me a better understanding of the relationship between the nation and a family," said Jing Shengxi, a student of the school.

"We would not have such bright smiles today without a strong nation," said schoolmaster Liu Yachun. "I hope every student can make best use of time, remember the love, make a better self and help build a strong nation."

More than 1,000 students and teachers of the school were dead or missing in the quake on May 12 last year.

The new school, mostly funded by donations from Chinese all over the world, will begin reconstruction Tuesday.

The 8.0-magnitude quake left more than 87,000 people dead or missing in all.

Tensei85
05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Sweet! Jackie's the man!

It's always great to see movie stars, etc... doing there part for the unfortunate victims. But I guess we should all do our part no matter how small or large.

Shaolinlueb
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
i want to see pictures of these houses.

GeneChing
08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Follow the link at the bottom for the full story on Jackie Chan kids...

Fans Inspired To Give By Jackie Chan (http://www.looktothestars.org/news/2958-fans-inspired-to-give-by-jackie-chan)
Dragon's Heart Charity's celebrity supporters
August 14, 2009 by Tim Saunders

A 14-year-old boy from The Netherlands has written a great story on Jackie Chan’s website about the lessons he has learned from the action star about charitable giving.

“I want to thank Jackie for teaching me about charity,“ wrote Thomas Engelmoer, who has spent much of the last few years fundraising for Chan’s Dragon’s Heart Foundation and recently met his hero in Beijing. "I have learned how meaningful it is to help raise money for charity and that it can also be a lot of fun. It makes me very happy to know that through the Build a School for a Dollar project I can help children… get a good education so that they have a better chance for a better future.“

The Dragon’s Heart Foundation strives to meet the needs of poverty-stricken children and the elderly in the hardest-to-reach areas of China. Jackie Chan has made several trips to villages in these remote locations, bringing warm clothing, wheelchairs and school supplies, and helping to build schools. In 2006, the Build a School for a Dollar project began on Jackie’s Kids Corner website. The initiative sees children from all over the world raise money for charity, and for every dollar raised, Chan matches the donation. Over US $140,000 has been raised for Jackie’s Dragon’s Heart Foundation to help build schools in remote areas of China. The project was begun as a way to involve children in charitable giving and it has grown to include adults as well.

According to the Foundation: "Jackie’s fans have come up with dozens of creative ways to raise money. There have been bake sales, craft sales, sponsored bicycle rides, and Chinese writing lessons among the many good ideas for fundraising.“

To read Thomas’ full story and find out how you can help this worthy charity, click here. (http://www.jackiechankids.com/files/Build_School-28-Thomas.html)

GeneChing
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I had mentioned something about this on the Haiti thread, but Yung Apprentice deleted it, probably because it got so catty. WTF was up with that? :rolleyes:

Jackie Chan donates to Chinese peacekeepers (http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/90875/6875649.html)
17:21, January 21, 2010

Famous film star Jackie Chan announced January 20 that he will donate 5 million yuan to Chinese peacekeeping troops and family members of 8 Chinese peacekeepers who lost their lives during the Haiti earthquake in order to express his sympathy to the family members of the dead, and to show respect to Chinese peacekeeping policemen.

Chan added that with the approval from relevant departments, 2 million yuan of the donation will be transferred to the family members of the peacekeepers who died in Haiti through the funeral committee for Chinese peacekeepers who were dispatched by the Ministry of Public Security to Haiti.

250,000 yuan will be transferred to each family and the remaining 3 million yuan will be given directly to China's peacekeeping troops for Chinese peacekeeping policemen's peacekeeping activities, military residence reconstruction, and local disaster relief work.

By People's Daily Online

Click below for vid.

by Jessica Beaton, Shanghai Editor
20 January, 2010
Jackie Chan records "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家) (http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/none/jackie-chan-records-welcome-you-home-834233)

Jackie Chan records a song in honor of eight Chinese police officers killed in the Haiti earthquake as their bodies are returned home

In this clip of "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家), in addition to a short interview with Jackie Chan, the TV station also shows footage of Chinese rescue workers in Haiti as well as the return of the Chinese peace keepers to China. (Youku video)

Eight Chinese police officers lost their lives there in the earthquake in Haiti last week. As their bodies were returned to China, news of a song by Jackie Chan about the earthquake written for the fallen peacekeepers was announced. The song is titled "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家).

Danwei reports that Jackie Chan teamed up with Tan Jing, a singer from the PLA Song and Dance Ensemble, to record "To Welcome You Home" (接你回家).

GeneChing
03-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Right now, I'm most interested in his work with WildAid (http://www.wildaid.org/index.asp?CID=1). The Tiger Claw Foundation (http://tigerclawfoundation.org/) is supporting WildAid for this year, the year of the tiger.

Jackie Chan Named In Top Charity Givers List (http://www.looktothestars.org/news/3978-jackie-chan-named-in-top-charity-givers-list)
March 8, 2010 by Tim Saunders

LookToTheStars.org congratulates Jackie Chan for being named as one of the most philanthropic people in Asia.

The star has been named as one of the 48 most philanthropic people by Forbes Asia for his work with the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation – founded in 1988 to help young people in a variety of worthy causes, including medical services, aid to victims of natural disaster or illness, scholarships and youth activities – and the Dragon's Heart Charity, which strives to meet the needs of poverty-stricken children and the elderly in the hardest-to-reach areas of the immense country. Chan has made several trips to villages in these remote locations, bringing warm clothing, wheelchairs and school supplies, and helping to build schools.

LookToTheStars.org talked to Jackie in 2007 about his work with the charities: “I’m very lucky to be able to help children who are suffering the the world. Since I am Ambassador for UNICEF and UNAIDS, I am able to help raise interest in the problems that children face. Plus I am involved with my own charities here in Asia – the Dragon’s Heart Charity and the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation. There are so many problems for children! Sometimes I feel that I just can’t do enough for them – as soon as I solve the problem of one group, I notice that another group is suffering. I try, but it’s never enough.”

GeneChing
03-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Few people in America understand how much Jackie is worth. He has a very diversified portfolio in Asia.

Brammo and Hollywood Legend Jackie Chan Join Forces for Asian Distribution Deal (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/brammo-and-hollywood-legend-jackie-chan-join-forces-for-asian-distribution-deal-87641202.html)

Partnership extends global presence of the Brammo Enertia to Hong Kong and Singapore

ASHLAND, Ore., March 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Brammo Inc., maker of electric motorcycles, announced today that it has formed a partnership with JCAM Advanced Mobility Company Ltd., the Hong Kong-based electric vehicle distribution company co-founded by superstar Jackie Chan.

The deal will have Jackie Chan's award-winning company sell the Brammo electric motorcycle product line in Hong Kong and Singapore beginning in early to mid-2010.

"Partnering with a global film and business icon like Jackie Chan further validates the Brammo brand -- much like our U.S. partnership with retailer Best Buy -- as being an innovator in both product development and retail distribution," said Brammo Founder and CEO, Craig Bramscher. "We expect great results with JCAM and look forward to a long partnership and many satisfied customers in the markets they serve."

"When I first saw early pictures of the Enertia I really liked it," said Jackie Chan. "Now that it is here, I love it! From the very beginning I knew this was going to be something really special."

"This is the beginning of something new for JCAM and we are very excited," said JCAM Managing Director, Matt McGuire. "We have been speaking with Brammo about this opportunity for almost two years during which time we have been able to realize the heights of their vision and the capabilities of their team to achieve this vision. Then, the first Enertia arrived in Asia, and we were in awe. The Enertia powercycle is one of the most incredible EVs we have experienced BY FAR and has the capability to change the culture of the industry."

Brammo's first product is the Enertia, a 100% fully-electric motorcycle built in Ashland, Oregon. It has been put on the market at select Best Buy stores since August 2009. The Enertia, priced in the United States at $7995, has a top speed of over 60 miles per hour (95 km/h), a range of 42 miles (68 kilometers) and a charging time of about 4 hours. Fans and media can follow Brammo on Twitter at BrammoSays and on its Facebook fan page, Brammo Powercycles.

About Brammo

Brammo Inc. (www.brammo.com) is a premier specialty vehicle manufacturer developing sustainable performance products for the next generation of transportation. Through integration of digital engineering and high-impact design, Brammo transforms ideas into compelling products. The Enertia is a plug-in electric motorcycle, the first in a line of electric vehicles that are sold through select Best Buy stores. The Enertia was designed, engineered and is built at Brammo's headquarters located in Ashland, Oregon. The company was founded in 2002 and is privately held.

About JCAM

JCAM Advanced Mobility Company Ltd. (JCAM) is a Hong Kong-based vehicle distribution company established in 2005. Co-founded by megastar Jackie Chan, its primary business focus is to identify, qualify, and market zero-emissions products. Within the first four years of operation, JCAM has grown into a company with diverse and growing business interests in sustainable transportation. Operating in six countries, JCAM is a winner of Hong Kong Business' High-Flyers Outstanding Enterprises Award (Modern Alternative Technology).

JCAM works closely with groups that are critical to a successful cultural change, transforming society from conventional combustion-driven vehicles to electric vehicles (EVs) and other "green" options. By collaborating with vehicle manufacturers, local regulators and end-user groups, JCAM aims to lead the way in building desirability, credibility, and reliability for environmentally-conscious innovation, and prepare for the onset of a green transportation evolution.

Here's also something about his charity work.

Monday March 15, 2010
Voicing their support (http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2010/3/15/music/5615429&sec=music)
Charity hero

Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, 55, is a Unicef and Unaids Goodwill Ambassador. He is founder of Jackie Chan Charitable Founda*tion, which helps young people in a variety of worthy causes, including the provision of medical services and aid to victims of natural disasters and Dragon’s Heart Foun*dation, which strives to meet the needs of poverty-stricken children and the elderly in the hardest-to-reach areas of China. Magna*nimous Chan also helped to rebuild a village after the devastating tsunami hit Banda Acheh in 2004. Although its official name is Friendship Village of Indonesia-China, most people there refer to it as the “Jackie Chan village”.

GeneChing
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Now that's real kung fu. :cool:

Jackie Chan Raises More Than $5 Million for Singapore Medical Institution (http://www.tonic.com/article/jackie-chan-raises-more-than-5-million-for-singapore-medical-institution/)
By Lauren Le Vine | Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:20 AM ET

The movie star once again proved he's a true man of action when he helped a medical center raise over $5 million in 3 hours.

In the film roles that have made him famous, Jackie Chan is known for taking swift action when a problem arises. It turns out that the actor is no different in his personal life, although the action being taken is more of a symbolic effort than a physical fight. Tonic has previously reported on Chan's numerous philanthropic efforts: He's raised money for Haiti, filmed a PSA to aid a little girl in need of a bone marrow transplant and serves as a UNICEF cultural ambassador. Chan recently upped his humanitarian efforts even more to help a medical center in Singapore in desperate need of donations.

In just three hours of performing and entertaining the crowd at a fundraiser at the Singapore Thong Chai Medical Institution, Jackie Chan managed to raise $5.2 million dollars. Yes, you read that correctly. Over five million dollars ... in three hours. (Someone get this man in to fix our economy!) How'd he do it? According to Chan's website, "[The] actor went all out for the cause, distributing flowers, taking photos with kids, and helping wheel a patient. ... The star made a grand entrance ... by somersaulting onto the stage."

And once he was on the stage, don't think Jackie Chan just stood idly by. This is a man who takes his charity-head duties seriously. Chan shared that he had first heard about the free clinic from a patient and then invited his close friend and fellow philanthropist Wakin Chau to perform with him. The duo sang hits like "Friends," "Understand My Heart" and "Nothing Will Stop Me From Loving You." Jackie Chan also performed an emotional rendition of "Believe in Yourself" for a 31-year-old patient.

Despite the final song that brought the actor to tears, Chan's website reports that the actor returned to his usual bright spirits and spent time mingling with children who were performing backstage. The actor's star power helped turn the evening into a success beyond the medical center's wildest dreams. We hope the 142-year-old center can get the upgrades it needs as soon as possible thanks to the help from their action hero.

GeneChing
04-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Jackie Chan Jets in Singing to Boost Telethon (http://www.looktothestars.org/news/4152-jackie-chan-jets-in-singing-to-boost-telethon)
Jackie Chan's charity work and causes
April 6, 2010 by Myrlia Purcell

Action hero Jackie Chan is once again flying through the air at high-speed to save the day.

Chan flew from the U.S. to Beijing on Saturday, April 3rd, and immediately recorded a song to raise money for people suffering from the devastating drought in southwestern China. He performed the song at a fundraising event that evening, helping to raise $29 million for victims.

Joining him at Saturday’s fundraising event were stars from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan, including Jiang Wenli, Na Ying, Andy Lau, Elva Hsiao and Chyi Yu. Some of the stars performed, while others volunteered to answer phones and collect pledges.

The severe drought has been plaguing Guizhou, Sichuan, Yunnan, Guangxi and Chongqing, leaving 18 million people without adequate water.

Jackie has been an advocate of water conservation for many years. Once when filming in an area with little water, he gave a child a piece of ice. The child had never seen ice before, and, frightened, threw it on the ground.

At a song dedication ceremony for the “Water Cellar for Mothers” project, held on April 4th by the All-China women’s Federation, Jackie said, “This theme song calls for families and wealthy people in large cities to be more conservative with using water; it calls for people to be more aware of the regions that are short of water – the remote areas in the country. And I knew, without a second thought, that I needed to promote the cause.”

Jackie also told everyone a short story, "A while back, when I was visiting Will Smith’s house, before I left, I took all the unfinished water bottles to the backyard. Will Smith asked me what I was doing, and I told him that we need to conserve water. Afterward, Will said to me that he’s going to do what I did and conserve water."Funny story (and clever name drop). ;)

GeneChing
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
He's actually been campaigning for green cause since Gorgeous (1993) - remember he was a recycling baron in that film? That was also the film that introduced us to Brad Allen and look at him now, choreographing Kick Ass (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55979).

Chan's green dream for a parched frontier (http://www.globaltimes.cn/www/english/metro-beijing/update/culture/2010-04/519450.html)
* Source: Global Times
* [00:00 April 07 2010]
By Xu Liuliu

International film and pop star Jackie Chan donated 100 trees to the Green Tree Program last Friday in an effort to expand the forested area of southwest China—a goal made all the more urgent by the region's severe drought.

The Green Tree Program, a joint initiative of the China Green Foundation and carmaker BMW, aims to plant a forest covering an area of about 1,200 mu (0.8 km2) in the Ba'nan District of Chongqing, near the Yangtze River. "This bare hill used to be covered with green forest, but a sudden forest fire ruined it," said Yang Jiping, chairman of China Green Foundation, while showing journalists at a press conference a batch of photos taken at Ba'nan. "Our aim is to turn the hill green again in three years."

As the program's sponsor, BMW has called on its car owners to donate as much as they can, hoping to enlarge the forest to a total area of 10,000 mu (6.7 km2)—and Chan was the first owner to answer the call.

"Environmental protection requires us to do things bit by bit. I hope other owners can join the program as I do," said Chan, who flew directly from the United States to donate the trees.

BMW also promised to match each car owners' donation tree-for-tree, in order to increase awareness of and motivation for the initiative.

GeneChing
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
If it wasn't for Jackie, I wouldn't even know about the China drought.

08 April 2010 12:46
Jackie Chan - Chan's Charitable Birthday Celebration (http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/chans-charitable-birthday-celebration_1138308)

Action hero JACKIE CHAN celebrated his 56th birthday on Wednesday (07Apr10) by raising money for those affected by a drought in China.

The martial arts star gathered friends and family to mark his special day with a big bash, where he handed out presents and invited the Tibetan band Ajia to perform.

Instead of handing him gifts, Chan's pals contributed $47,500 (£32,000) to a charity fund to help residents in China's southwest Yunnan province, who are suffering from a severe water shortage - and the actor generously offered to match the money raised.

In posts on his Twitter.com page, Chan writes, "Everybody told me to make a wish. My wish is for world peace... For my birthday party, all my friends donated a total of $325,000 RMB (Chinese yuan) for the drought in Yunnan. I will donate the same & help out the world!"

GeneChing
04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Our Qinghai quake thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56959).

Quake Relief in Action: Movie star Jackie Chan donates 3 mln yuan to quake victims (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90776/90882/6955800.html)
14:19, April 19, 2010

Hong Kong action movie star Jackie Chan Sunday announced a cash donation of 3 million yuan (439,477 U.S. dollars) to quake victims in northwest China's Qinghai Province.

Chan and Taiwanese actress Vivian Hsu flew from Xining, capital of Qinghai, to the quake-hit Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Yushu on Sunday.

Chan also donated 1,500 boxes of biscuits, 700 cotton coats and 100 boxes of bottled water. Hsu donated 1,000 cotton-padded quilts.

The 7.1-magnitude quake that struck Yushu Wednesday morning has left at least 1,706 dead, 256 missing and 12,128 injured, as of 10 a.m. Sunday.

GeneChing
04-20-2010, 09:38 AM
...with his disciples in tow.

Jackie Chan Makes Charity Trip To Earthquake Victims In China (http://www.looktothestars.org/news/4244-jackie-chan-makes-charity-trip-to-earthquake-victims-in-china)
April 20, 2010 by Tim Saunders

Jackie Chan has made a charity trip to Qinghai, China, to bring supplies to victims of the devastating earthquake last week that has claimed over 1,484 lives and left over 12,000 injured.

“I’m deeply grateful to China Eastern Airlines for providing an airbus A320 plane for us to ship our relief supplies, and giving us the green light to fly into the area so we could bring all the supplies in on time,” blogged the star. "Even though we didn’t take any personal luggage with us, the cargo compartment of the plane was filled with relief supplies yet we still couldn’t fit all the supplies onto the plane.

“We knew that the disaster area were in desperate need of warm clothing and blankets. Before I boarded the plane today, a friend of mine sent over several bags of warm clothing but we couldn’t load it into the cargo compartment, so each of my disciples hand-carried two bags onto the plane.

“Last year, the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation had already made plans to allocate 20 million RMB towards the Serious Illness and Treatment Facility for Youth in Qinghai Province program. But now a disaster has struck in Yushu, so the foundation especially donated 3 million RMB (US$439,477) for the children injured in the earthquake. The foundation will also provide assistance to the area."

To see photos of Jackie’s relief efforts, and read his full blog about the disaster, visit his official website.

GeneChing
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Kristen Stewart Designs Coach Bag (http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/5686624-kristen-stewart-designs-coach-bag)
Shanghai : China | Apr 26, 2010

The famed Twilight actress, Kristen StewartKristen Stewart, who just celebrated her 20th birthday, can now add purse designer to her list of credentials. The bag, featured above, is a smiley face with the word "yess" and Kristen's autograph in the corner.

To celebrate the China opening of the luxury brand, Coach, Stewart contributed her piece of art that will be a part of the charity activity "Star Totes". Coach invited celebrities from around the world to contribute artistic creations on their handbags.

Coach will open 15 stores in China this year. The brand is not popular in China so the help of "Star Totes" will boost the awareness of their new stores.

Kristen Stewart's handbag will be auctioned on the internet with proceeds going to The Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation. The auction starts May 13th. Visit Coach China (http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-5686624/aHR0cDovL2NoaW5hLmNvYWNoLmNvbS9zdGFydG90ZXM=)for more details.
http://img4.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/480/385/53259857-kristen-stewarts.jpgDid she scrawl on that with a pen? Star totes are odd. :confused:

GeneChing
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
With all the news about the Shanghai Expo (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55355) and stabbings (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57236), I forgot about the drought.

Jackie Chan Brings Water To Drought Areas (http://www.looktothestars.org/news/4436-jackie-chan-brings-water-to-drought-areas)
May 20, 2010 by Tim Saunders

Earlier this month, Jackie Chan traveled to Tongren in the Guizhou province of China to bring much-needed water and supplies to the drought stricken area. He has now blogged about the experience.

“Along with my team (The Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation), I flew to TongRen City, Guizhou Province in the Tujia County," writes Jackie in the blog. "We brought 48,000 bottles of water to their people. My team told me that the GDP is the lowest in the country and up in the mountains where the people lived, they were facing serious water shortages.

“Along the way, I learned that the water was difficult to store and that 97% of the farmland were in the mountains. In the summer’s dry season, villagers have to walk 10 miles down the mountain just to collect two bottles of water. So in the car up to the mountain, I could see the roof of many houses, used as a reservoir for water. However, it was covered with moss and there was no filter. They used it to wash their clothes, their plates, and even to drink.”

Jackie’s blog tells how he visited schools in the area, and personally delivered water to residents – something he will never forget.

“After seeing how they drank water, I immediately donated 1 million RMB to the local government. Also, I donated money [for] the construction of 10KM of water pipes and a water tower. Now, 9,000 people in the village can drink clean water!”

GeneChing
10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
wonder which films they were watching...

Jackie Chan `honoured` Chilean miners watched his movies underground (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/news/article_1594872.php/Jackie-Chan-honoured-Chilean-miners-watched-his-movies-underground)

http://view.picapp.com//Images/clear.gif
The Spy Next Door world Premiere, The Grove, Los Angeles, California. - Russ Einhorn / Splash News

By Sophie Eager Oct 28, 2010, 19:24 GMT

Actor Jackie Chan said he is 'honoured' that the Chilean miners were watching his movies while trapped underground.

It has been reported that the 33 trapped miners had been watching Jackie Chan and Mr Bean movies to keep their spirits up during their 69-day underground ordeal, which ended earlier this month.

Chan recently wrote on Twitter: 'I just heard good news from my American manager that the Chilean miners were watching some of my movies while they were going through some difficult times underground.

'Wow, what an honor!'

It was claimed psychologists carefully chose the movies that they were allowed to view underground and they watched them using a smart-phone-size video projector.

GeneChing
12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Now I'm starting to wonder exactly how many medical facilities are named after Jackie...

China's First 'Jackie Chan Children's Eye Center' Set up at West China Hospital (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chinas-first-jackie-chan-childrens-eye-center-set-up-at-west-china-hospital-111261569.html)

http://photos.prnewswire.com/prn/20101203/CN11656

CHENGDU, China, Dec. 3, 2010 /PRNewswire-Asia/ -- The Hong Kong superstar Jackie Chan came to West China Hospital to unveil the "World Eye Organization Jackie Chan Children's Eye Centre of West China Hospital of Sichuan University". The founding of this centre should be attributed to the successful cooperation between the West China Hospital and World Eye Organization (WEO) on the "Welfare Programs for Blindness Prevention and Treatment", the proactive arrangements of relative parties and the great support extended by the famous Hong Kong film star Jackie Chan as well as the Chairman of the WEO Mr. Lin Wenjie. The Vice President of Sichuan University Mr. Bu Hong, Director of the West China Hospital Mr. Shi Yingkang, Vice Director Mr. Li Weimin and President of the WEO Mr. Lin Wenjie were also in attendance. The ceremony was presided over by Mr. Li Weimin.

Mr. Bu Hong gave his speech on the ceremony and he stressed that as an important medical base deployed in west China, West China Hospital undertakes the sacred and critical mission to provide medical service for people in this wide region. West China Hospital had won an excellent reputation for its remarkable performance in the 5.12 Wenchuan earthquake and the Yushu earthquake. Speaking of the founding of this center, Mr.Bu quipped that as a big fan of Jackie Chan, he could see his idol not only on the screen but also from the sites where disasters had descended and rescue work was needed. He paid sincere respect to Jackie Chan's contribution to China's charity course. After more than 2 years of cooperation between West China Hospital and WEO, this center was finally built up and it would bring better treatment and a brighter future for children in west China especially for those in the earthquake-hit areas.

Then, Jackie Chan, Mr. Bu Hong, Mr. Shi Yingkang and Mr. Lin Wenjie turned on the light-emitting crystal ball together with melodious music and the "World Eye Organization Jackie Chan Children's Eye Centre of West China Hospital of Sichuan University" was thus formally set up.

SOURCE West China Hospital

GeneChing
03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Succumb not to sorrow - anyone got a vid? SPJ?

Jackie Chan, Hong Kong stars to stage charity concert for Japan quake relief (http://www.washingtonpost.com/jackie-chan-hong-kong-stars-to-stage-charity-concert-for-japan-quake-relief/2011/03/24/ABEAnROB_story.html)
By Associated Press, Thursday, March 24, 9:21 AM

HONG KONG — Jackie Chan and other Hong Kong stars will stage a charity concert on April 1 to raise funds for victims of Japan’s massive earthquake and tsunami.

The veteran action star and dozens of Hong Kong singers and actors on Thursday recorded the theme song for the concert, “Succumb Not to Sorrow.” The song is based on an inspirational Japanese poem.

Addressing the Japanese victims, Chan said, “You will not be alone. We will always be by your side.”

Others attending the recording session include singers Alan Tam, Hacken Lee, Shirley Kwan and Chinese-American rapper Jin. TV stars Bosco Wong, Myloie Wu and Michael Tse also took part.

Proceeds from the concert at Hong Kong’s Victoria Park will go to the Salvation Army.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_296w/2010-2019/Wires/Online/2011-03-24/AP/Images/Hong%20Kong%20Japan%20Earthquake.JPEG-05f7c.jpg
The Associated Press - Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan and other artists pose before a news conference for an upcoming charity event for the victims and survivors of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan, in Hong Kong Thursday, March 24, 2011. The Hong Kong entertainment industry will organize the charity event to pay respects to the deceased, send condolences and love to those who lost loved ones and encourage the survivors of the disaster. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

GeneChing
04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Jackie Chan Raises $3.3 Million in Three Hours for Japan Relief (Exclusive) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jackie-chan-raises-33-million-174410)
5:16 PM 4/4/2011 by Karen Chu

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/04/japan_show-2011-a-l.jpg
He estimates he has given out at least half of what he has earned throughout his career: “My goal is to have a $0 in my bank account the day I die.”

HONG KONG — Help for the people of Japan suffering the effects of earthquake, tsunami and radioactive fallout was only a phone call away. It helped that Jackie Chan was on one end of the call.
“When I picked up the phone and called my friends in the entertainment business in Japan, South Korea, Indonesia and Singapore, right away, they all agreed to come over,” Chan said.

The Hong Kong-born action superstar called in favors from across Asia for his disaster relief fund-raising concert, Artiste 311 Love Beyond Borders, which raked in more than HK$26 million ($3.3 million) — and counting — in donations in just three hours.

The concert was held Friday, but the cash kept flowing the next night at Chan’s wrap dinner for the production team, where co-organizers Eric Tsang and John Shum toasted their crew and wound down. “I still have some of the cash donations that people gave me today in my pocket,” Chan told The Hollywood Reporter.

Chan initiated the fund-raiser, held at the Victoria Park in Hong Kong, with longtime buddy Tsang, a film and TV multi-hyphenate who is always the first person Chan calls to kick off a disaster relief show, and John Shum, a veteran producer, director, actor, writer and political activist. The three organized the seven-hour Crossing Borders Fundraising Show for the Indian Ocean tsunami victims in January 2005 and the eight-hour Artistes 512 Fund Raising Campaign for those affected by the 2008 earthquake in Sichuan, China.

“It’s got to be a record to raise so much in just three hours,” Chan said of the show, which was headlined by Chan; Tsang; actors Andy Lau and Donnie Yen; the Wonder Girls and singer-songwriter Park Jin-young from South Korea; and from Japan, singer Sen Masao, actor Masatoshi Nakamura, girl group AKB48 and Judy Ongg, who is the best-known Chinese singer in that nation.

Even American Lionel Richie put in an appearance from Australia via satellite with a rendition of his “Say You, Say Me.”

“I’ve known Lionel Richie for 16 or 17 years,” Chan said. “We’re great friends. He has written a song called ‘One World’ for me.”

Chan rang up Richie during dinner to affectionately thank him.

“The only reason we couldn’t do a longer show is because of the venue,” Chan said. “We didn’t want to put on the show on April Fools’ Day, but with everyone’s schedules and the venue, we’d rather go ahead for April 1.”

Chan said organizers put the show together in only 11 days.

Chan has a long relationship with Japan, having established his enormous popularity in the early 1980s. The disasters that shook the country had a personal dimension for the actor, too. “Forty of my Japanese fans are now missing; my fan club there is trying their best to find them and keep me posted,” Chan said.
“Earthquakes have struck Japan many, many times before. But what shocked me was the tsunami, especially when we saw all the videos of strong waves hitting the towns. Then there was the nuclear crisis. Even when we wanted to help, we didn’t know where to start. After the Sichuan earthquake in China, I chartered planes to deliver provisions to the affected population, but this time, there was no road to reach the disaster-struck areas.”

The fund-raiser took place three weeks after the disaster, which some deemed too late a response. Said Chan: “Japan is a developed, wealthy nation and has all kinds of resources and experience for disaster relief. We tried to wait and see what we could do to help, but the situation just got worse and worse. For years, my Japanese fans have made a great effort to raise money for my charity, to build schools in China and to help the victims of the Sichuan earthquake. It’s time for me to return the favor and do what we can to help.”

To Chan, the most difficult part of organizing the event was the overwhelming number of willing participants. “There are just too many performers,” he said. “The production team consists of fewer than 40 people, but 300 performers showed up. Almost everyone from Japan that we asked agreed to come over. But then we had to ask ourselves, what role could they play? What should they perform? Because, you know, every guest means a plane ticket, a hotel room, each for the guest and their assistants.”

Chan paid for the plane tickets and accommodations for all the overseas performers and their assistants and contributed nearly HK$5 million ($643,000).

All proceeds from the concert, minus expenses, will be passed on to the Salvation Army, which will deliver emergency relief packs to people in the affected areas. The $60 packs include a 15-day supply of food and water, personal care and hygiene products and blankets.

For all his physical comedies and international celebrity, Chan is also a philanthropist. He established his Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation in 1988 in Hong Kong and has since set up branches in China and Hawaii. In 2004, he set up Dragon’s Heart Foundation expressly for the children in China. Through his charitable foundations, he has raised and donated millions to such diverse efforts as the aid for the disaster victims in Haiti, emergency assistance in Japan, orphans in South Korea and schools in China.

The energetic star estimates that he has given out at least half of what he had earned throughout his career. “I guess more than HK$100 million ($12.8 million), but not as much as $100 million,” he said. Now he tries to match what the foundations raise. “It’d be more substantial if I can match the sum,” he said. “The worst thing would be to ask others to give but not give yourself.”

“My goal is to have a $0 in my bank account the day I die,” the 56-year-old Chan said with a shrug. “I get very happy when I think about that, no more worries. I buy the things I like, I give money to charity, and then I try to make more money. I’ll be frank with you: It’s not difficult for me to make money. If it’s easy, why shouldn’t I give it away?”
That's real kung fu. Jackie rocks.

GeneChing
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Good ol' Jackie. He remains an inspiration.

Heroes Of Philanthropy
Jackie Chan: Philanthropy's Hardest Working Man (http://www.forbes.com/global/2011/0718/heroes-philanthropy-11-jackie-chan-dayne-nourse-hardest-working.html)
Ron Gluckman, 06.22.11, 06:00 PM EDT
Forbes Asia Magazine dated July 18, 2011
Hong Kong star Jackie Chan races around Asia to brighten a sick child's day or help disaster victims.

Another long day is nearly over, and Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan is beat. And no wonder: The day before, he made an overnight dash to Beijing, carrying a torch in a run to promote the upcoming World University Games in Guangzhou. Landing in Hong Kong he rushes straight to a series of photo shoots, appearances and dubbing duties for Kung Fu Panda 2. Rubbing his eyes, it's clear he needs a break. But he still has one more appointment, this time with a special opponent.

Dayne Nourse flew in from Salt Lake City in the U.S. to show Chan his moves. He hardly looks like a formidable foe, especially to anyone with Chan's kung fu skills. However, Hong Kong's top hero has a weakness for such adversaries. Nourse, 14, stands waist-high, when he stands. Mostly, he sits in a wheelchair, crippled by brittle bone disease. The Make-A-Wish Foundation flew him to Hong Kong. Meeting idol Jackie Chan is his final wish.

The ultimate pro, Chan responds with a performance that has all eyes misting up at a Chinese dinner he hosts for Nourse and another Make-A-Wish teen, Keisha Knauss, at a west Kowloon restaurant. Chan makes silly faces and flirts with Knauss, then teaches kung fu moves to Nourse. "He's really cool," Nourse gushes afterward. "I knew he was nice from his films, but I had no idea how nice he would be. This has really been a dream come true."

At the banquet filled with friends, Chan bounces from table to table, the perfect host. But he dotes on the teens. Knauss calls him "my boyfriend" to much laughter, but for one special day he really is. Earlier Chan took the teens around his Clearwater Bay film studio, showered them with souvenirs and demonstrated daring stunts. "I know how important this moment is," he confides during a moment away from the youngsters. "If I can help them to live two more days, or two more years, whatever it takes. This is what makes me happy."

Chan, 57, punched his way to fame in scores of cheap sock 'em flicks through the 1970s in Hong Kong before becoming the city's first Hollywood star in the 1990s. Today he's more than an entertainment juggernaut with more than a hundred films, television and cartoon shows, and record albums to his credit. In a city obsessed with commerce, where billionaires are celebrities, this grade school dropout is a Hong Kong icon. In earlier times it was hard to walk a block without seeing his face on a poster or product advertisement. The same now holds true in the rest of China, where he's often on hand opening cinemas, hosting variety shows and making appearances.

Unlike so many pretty boys in the Hong Kong industry, which was the biggest in the world after Hollywood until the 1990s, Chan rose from rags to riches and did it his own way--performing death-defying stunts himself. As a global star with international hits such as Rush Hour, he claimed fees of up to $25 million a picture. More important, he altered the formulaic way Hong Kong made and marketed films. "Jackie Chan helped create the Golden Age of Hong Kong cinema in the 1980s and subsequently was part of the Hong Kong talent that succeeded in Hollywood and international cinema," says Roger Garcia, executive director of the Hong Kong International Film Festival. "He helped shape how the world today looks at Hong Kong movies."

Some critics term his films trivial, panning Chan's cheesy mix of comedy, action and positive themes. Yet the blend has proven box office appeal; his fans span the globe and defy categorization. In December his Facebook page topped 10 million fans. Even critics concede that he injected life into Asian action films with his martial arts mastery.

Along the way Chan has been transformed from stuntman and fighter to unlikely leading man and role model. However slapstick the script, his films usually have strong moral messages. He often defends underdogs or urchins. Invariably his movies are clean-cut, without sex scenes or graphic violence--call it Kung Fu Disney ( DIS - news - people ) with Confucian characteristics.

What is less known is how fame has transformed Chan into one of Asia's premier philanthropists. Others may give more or get more attention, but probably nobody works harder for more causes than Chan. "Every time we ask him to do an event, he agrees without any question," says Anthony Lau, director of the Hong Kong Tourism Board. Chan has been the face of everything from no-smoking campaigns to cleanup efforts. Lau recalls requesting the star's appearance in Japan two years ago. Chan was working in remote China but flew 30 hours straight to the event. "The next day, he made the journey back--another 30 hours."

GeneChing
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Chan has always regretted his lack of a formal education. So when he launched the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation in 1988, it offered scholarships and other help to young people. Over the years the scope has broadened to include medical services, help for the poor and quick responses to natural disasters. After China's Sichuan earthquake he donated more than $1.3 million to relief. His impact is multiplied when he lends his name and puts his boundless energy behind a cause.

Two days before meeting the U.S. teens, as FORBES ASIA trails the hyperkinetic Chan around Hong Kong, he bounds up several flights of an old apartment building, bursting into a room of photographers. Flashes pulsate as he poses with a giant cardboard check for around $3.4 million. This was raised in a concert he organized to help victims of the Japan quake and tsunami. He put up $150,000 of his own money.

Twenty minutes later we are back in a car, Chan behind the wheel. "I love driving," he says, zipping in and out of Hong Kong traffic, jabbering at every stoplight into a pair of phones--one for China, one for Hong Kong--before pulling into the driveway of his Kowloon Tong home. There are two old houses, side by side in a huge lot framed by giant thickets of bamboo. Jackie lives in one with his wife; his son, Jaycee Chan, also an actor and musician, lives in the other.

This is an unscheduled stop in a day crammed with appointments. Chan is a ball of energy but easily distracted, making a shambles of any itinerary. Our meetings have been repeatedly rescheduled, month after month. Staff members say he's a reluctant delegator who tries to do everything himself. Even so, they are intensely loyal and talk lovingly of their good-natured boss. Practically all have been with him for years, some for decades. "He wants to be on top of everything," says Mabel Cheung, one of Hong Kong's most respected film directors, who made Traces of a Dragon: Jackie Chan and His Lost Family.

A dozen years ago Chan learned that both his parents had previously been married and had abandoned families in the mainland amid the chaos of the Chinese civil war. Cheung took a film crew to China and interviewed his half-siblings and then went to Australia and filmed him talking to his parents about their past. She says he is a joy to work with. "He followed my direction and never asked to change a single thing. He never even came into the editing room."

Unlike most Hong Kong stars, Chan travels under his own power, eschewing big entourages. We often leave a car in a lot--Chan parking himself--then ride an escalator and hustle to a meeting or meal. Maybe because he's dressed down and lacks bodyguards, hardly anyone seems to notice. When they do, smiles invariably bloom. Everyone seems to cherish Jackie Chan. "Even as an international star, he's very much a Hong Kong person," notes Cheung. "He really acts like a big brother to everyone in the film industry in Hong Kong. He always has gatherings for his friends, in his house."

His superstardom and simplicity seem surprising in a city so consumed by flash and showiness. But his boisterous can-do spirit is the essence of Hong Kong. "I think Jackie Chan is one of the reasons people come here," says Lau. "They know him and his attitude, and that says a lot about Hong Kong."

His wealth has been pegged at $130 million, but he's happy to eat a bowl of dumplings set on a folding card table outside his house. The furnishings are modest. On a wall is a plastic decoration often seen in dentist offices, a kind of clock-shaped mingling of the words: "Live, Learn, Laugh, Love, Life."

Chan wears old sneakers and ripped jeans and seems uninterested in possessions or attention-grabbing statements. His yard does host a collection of cars, including a vintage Rolls-Royce ( RYCEY.PK - news - people ). One has the license "123," which cost him $150,000. He says he's been offered six times that amount to sell the plates in numbers-obsessed Hong Kong. "But I'll never sell." The plate, he says, denotes the date, Dec. 3, his son was born. He also shares the property with a pair of Golden Retrievers--Jones and JJ. His wife of nearly 30 years is Taiwanese former actress Lin Feng-Jiao, or Joan. "It makes it easy--we're all Js," he says with that moon-size smile.

Chan spent his early years atop Victoria Peak, Hong Kong's most prestigious address, but his was never the life of privilege. His father worked as a cook at the French consulate; his mother did laundry. He lasted less than a year in school. Instead, when his father moved to another job, with the American embassy in Australia, Chan was enrolled in the China Drama Academy in Kowloon, a Peking Opera school run by Master Yu Jim-Yuen. He proved a superlative student of acrobatics and martial arts; he started working in films at age 8.

Chan admits he didn't take to charity at first. "When I started, people were always asking me to do stuff, and I was just too busy, so I always said no," he says. "Then I finally agreed. I remember being so embarrassed. Kids came up to me and asked what I brought them, and I didn't know. I hadn't done it. Somebody else did it for me. They all thanked me, and I was shamed." That was 25 years ago.

At nearly the same time Chan was in Yugoslavia, filming a dangerous stunt. He's listed in record books for doing the toughest stunts and has taken numerous tumbles, breaking most bones in his body. On this day he took a near fatal drop on his head. "It was one of the first times in my life where I started thinking, what have I really done, for myself, for my country, for society? I thought, if I recover I have to do more for everyone."

In 2004 he started his second foundation, the Dragon's Heart Foundation, which builds schools and helps children and the elderly in remote parts of China. One of his cleverest schemes for this foundation has been to enlist kids from around the world to contribute, and he matches all funds. But the global bond is far more important than the folded dollars that flow in. "I want to show you something superspecial," he says at his Clearwater Bay studio. One hallway is crammed with photographs signed by celebrity pals: Robert De Niro, Kevin Costner, Madonna, as well as Tiger Woods, James Brown and a Miss World or two. On the other wall are movie posters and trophies.

But Chan guides me inside to his real treasures. "Look at this," he says, pulling out a stack of poster boards filled with crayon coloring and collages, many featuring dollar bills. These are donations from kids all over the world. Some put together classroom projects, others went door-to-door or emptied their cookie jars. "Now I have to double everything," he says. "There is no way I'd ever spend any of this. Someday, I'll have a museum and hang this on the walls."

Chan talks of cinemas in China. He's about to debut his epic, 1911, covering 100 years of Chinese history; the patriotic flick is his 100th. He's recently opened China's biggest Cineplex, with 17 screens, in Beijing and has plans for dozens more. He has his own line of clothing and Jackie Chan cafes and gyms. There are so many business ventures, he cannot keep track. When he's on the phone I explore the studio and spot several Segways. Sure enough, he has a distributorship.

A philanthropic pioneer among Hong Kong entertainers, Chan sets an example for stars such as Jet Li who have launched charities. It's easy to understand why he works so hard. "When I was a child, I was very poor and wanted everything. So when I got money I began buying things. Now I want to give away everything. When I give somebody something and see their face, it just makes me so happy."

Chan believes giving will catch on in China, too. Bill Gates and Warren Buffett received a cold response when they visited to solicit support for a global campaign to get tycoons to pledge half their estates to charity after their death. Chan has taken the pledge. "China is an old country, but people are just starting to get money," he says. "I think they will follow the same path; it's just starting." (Malaysia's Vincent Tan has also taken the pledge. See list, following pages.)

In the homespun wisdom of Jackie Chan, the way forward is simple. "I do small things. I try to do good things every day. If everyone does some good, think of what a good world this will be." We discussed Traces of a Dragon here. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49758)

GeneChing
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
There's an interview vid - follow the link. Jackie answers that 'Bruce Lee' question for the bazillionth time and the vid cuts right at what might have been a good question. :mad:

Charity work of Kungfu icon Jackie Chan (http://www.china.org.cn/video/2011-08/11/content_23186893.htm)
CNTV, August 11, 2011
http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20110811/001ec94a1d8b0fad7b6f02.jpg

The Ambassador of Operation Smile, Kungfu superstar Jackie Chan sat down to talk about his charity work, and about his comedic, yet death-defying kung-fu style.

Jackie Chan has been acting since the 1960s and has appeared in over 100 films. Chan is recognized with his signature improvised comedic Kungfu. Everything around him could become a weapon. Performing all of his own stunts, the 57-year-old holds the Guinness World Record for "Most Stunts By a Living Actor."

Jackie Chan is a keen philanthropist and a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, having worked tirelessly to champion charitable causes. He has campaigned for energy conservation, against animal abuse, and has promoted disaster relief efforts in times of flood, earthquake and tsunami. Chan has three wishes, world peace, Confucian harmony among all people, and no poverty in China. He strongly believes all his dreams will finally come true because of the power of dreams.

GeneChing
09-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Watchmaker Richard Mille Creates a Timepiece for Jackie Chan (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/watchmaker-richard-mille-creates-a-223190)
4:59 PM PDT 8/15/2011 by Lindsay Flans

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/08/metal_watch_richard_mille_a_p.jpg
Mille’s unique watch will be auctioned in September to benefit Chan’s charity, Dragon’s Heart Foundation.

Upscale watchmaker Richard Mille has designed a unique timepiece in support of Jackie Chan’s Dragon’s Heart Foundation.

Dragon’s Heart was founded in 2004 by the Rush Hour actor, to help children and the elderly in poor and remote areas of China, by building schools and aiding the handicapped. Mille—a longtime friend of the actor—created a special RM 055 JC tourbillon for the charitable group. In April, Chan attended the opening of a new Richard Mille store in Shanghai.

The white gold timepiece with a white rubber strap includes the charity’s logo—representing Chan holding the hands of two children—placed at the heart of the movement. The words "Foundation Jackie Chan" are written on the back of the watch along with the actor’s emblem: a stamped dragon. The RM 055 JC features a manual winding tourbillon with hours, minutes, power reserve indicator (circa 70h), torque indicator and function selector. Similiar tourbillon styles sell for upwards of $300,000.

The Mille design will be on sale at a benefit auction September 14, in Beijing.
Now you all know what to get me for Xmas. ;)

GeneChing
11-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Jackie Chan Holds Charity Concert, Raising $1.1 mln (http://www.chinesefilms.cn/1/2011/11/14/122s5690.htm)
2011-11-14 08:41:06 xinhua

http://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2011/11/14/ae85c054bf184d2a98e2a400edcfcb12.jpg
Actor Jackie Chan (2nd R) performs during a charity concert in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, Nov. 12, 2011. More than 7 million yuan (1.1 million US dollars) have been raised during Chan's charity concert, held in Wuhan on Saturday, before the establishment of primary schools in China's poorer mountainous areas. [Photo: Xinhua] Two more pix if you follow the link.

GeneChing
11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I hope they sing together.

Will.i.am to Headline Beijing Education Concert (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/william-headline-beijing-education-concert-264822)
11:45 PM PST 11/21/2011 by THR Staff

The show is being organized in cooperation with the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation Beijing.

Black Eyed Peas' singer will.i.am and bandmate apl.de.ap, John Legend and the Bucky Johnson band at a Beijing concert Dec. 17 designed to encourage study abroad programs in China, the musicians announced Monday in Los Angeles.

The concert, which supports the U.S. State Department's 100,000 Strong Initiative to send that many American students to study in China, may see an appearance by martial arts actor and sometime-singer Jackie Chan, whose Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation Beijing is co-organizing the show. Monday's announcement mentioned the participation of "other prominent Chinese and U.S. artists," but only named the Peas' members, Legend and Bucky Johnson. No venue was specified, although one of Beijing's former Olympic venues could play host. Tickets were not on sale in Beijing as of Tuesday afternoon local time. The Black Eyed Peas have performed as a unit twice previously in the Chinese capital city.

Charity concerts have a rocky history in Beijing when not organized directly by the Chinese government. The Show of Peace concert, which was to feature Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Aerosmith's Joe Perry, was first postponed from April 2010 and then canceled. Other recent canceled Beijing concerts by major artists include a March 2009 show by Oasis, due to a prior Noel Gallagher appearance at a pro-Tibetan independence gig, and an Oct. 2008 performance by Linkin Park, due to injury to singer Chester Bennington.

In Beijing, the concert is being co-organized by Americans Promoting Study Abroad, which provides scholarships to inner city students. It is supported by both the U.S. State Department and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

GeneChing
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Related to above.

Los Angeles to promote educational exchange with China (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/culture/2011-12/05/c_131289392.htm)
English.news.cn 2011-12-05 19:44:32

BEIJING, Dec. 5 (Xinhua) -- The city of Los Angeles will establish partnerships with charitable foundations to promote educational exchanges between China and the U.S., announced the mayor of Los Angeles at a press conference Monday.

Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa said the program, the "100K Strong Initiative," will help more students from Los Angeles-area high schools in underserved communities study in China.

"Our two great nations have the opportunity now to work together to build a brighter future, and the understanding and friendship between us will be crucial to making that dream a reality," he said.

The city will cooperate with Americans Promoting Study Abroad (APSA) and the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation, Beijing, to provide study opportunities in China for the students.

GeneChing
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
A WILD NIGHT to Benefit WILDAID with JACKIE CHAN (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/news/index.php?month=05&year=2012)
WILDAID is presenting the WILDAID Ambassador Award for his dedication and service to WILDAID and global endangered species. Visit wildaid.org/night for details. Use code "Kung Fu" for a special $25 discount. A TIGER CLAW FOUNDATION SPONSORED EVENT We cordially invite you to join the workshops. Please call local sponsors for details. For other info please email cpong@goTaiji.com or call C.P.Ong, 301-299-8116.
For more information, contact: Erin Sullivan
Phone: 415-834-3174
Event Address: 744 Montgomery Street #300
San Francisco, CA, 94111 USA
Online: Sullivan@wildaid.org - www.wildaid.org/night

For more info on WildAid, see WildAid Tiger Claw Champion (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57416)

GeneChing
07-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Jackie combats child trafficking and gives to flood relief.

Jackie Chan To Combat Myanmar Child Trafficking (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/03/jackie-chan-myanmar-child-trafficking_n_1645679.html?utm_hp_ref=impact#slide =more233666)
Jackie Chan
07/03/12 09:34 AM ET AP

YANGON, Myanmar — Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan is going to Myanmar this week on a three-day mission to help combat child trafficking in the Southeast Asian nation.

UNICEF announced Tuesday that in his capacity as a good-will ambassador, Chan will visit the agency's projects for supporting trafficked children under special care for trauma and distress. He also will meet with officials of the Social Welfare Ministry and members of the Myanmar Police Anti-Trafficking Task Force in Mandalay, Myanmar's second-largest city.

The U.S. State Department's annual report on human trafficking says thousands of children in Myanmar are forced to serve in the national army and ethnic military groups. However, Myanmar signed an agreement with the United Nations last week to ban the recruitment of child soldiers and demobilize those already serving.

Jackie Chan gives back (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/07/11/jackie-chan-gives-back.html)
Asia News Network (The Nation) | Entertainment | Wed, July 11 2012, 4:19 PM

No one needs much convincing to go see a Jackie Chan movie, but now the Hong Kong superstar has extra appeal with part of his ticket revenues going to Jackie Chan's Charitable Foundation and the Dragon's Heart Foundation.

The first raises money for victims of disaster and the second for needy children and elderly people in rural areas. Folks affected by the flooding in Thailand last year have just become beneficiaries.

After visiting Myanmar in his other role as a Unicef ambassador, Chan came to Thailand on Sunday to hand over 6 million baht (US$189,000) to 30 organizations. He expressed hope that more celebrities will follow his example to give back to the public. "Copycats are welcome!" he laughed. "I grew up poor and struggled, and now I have enough money to share with the needy."

Chan said he's loved Thailand ever since his first brief trip here as a youngster. And he still remembers indispensable phrases like mai pen rai. This stuff does matter, though, Jackie. Thanks!

GeneChing
01-28-2013, 10:41 AM
I was going to post this in franchises (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56745), but it's actually charity if you watch it all.

Watch this: Up In Smoke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48BInyf3-0)

Then watch this: http://www.bentleymotors.com/models/mulsanne/mulsanne_visionaries/#film-Jackie_chan_future_of_philanthropy

GeneChing
09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
More on Jackie's antique houses (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=914273#post914273).

I'll have to link this to our Chinese theme park thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62642).

Jackie Chan to build new theme park in Beijing (http://www.themalaysiantimes.com.my/jackie-chan-to-build-new-theme-park-in-beijing/)
Posted: 9:51 am, September 14, 2013 by editor
http://www.themalaysiantimes.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/jackie-chan-521745-data-685x320.jpg
BEIJING, Sept 14: Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan announced at a media event on Thursday, plans to build a theme park in Yizhuang, Beijing, in collaboration with a local organisation, reported Chinese media.

The two square kilometre park, named JC World, will have five main paths, each with a separate theme, and aims to give visitors a variety of cultural experiences.

Chan said he will exhibit numerous items from his personal collections, such as special furniture and jewellery, at the park.

“I was very poor when I was a child, so when I had money later on, I bought all sorts of things and went around the world collecting them,” said Chan.

“I want to exhibit all my stuff. They may not all be worth a lot of money, but they may have a story behind them.”

Chan will also be donating the remaining Chinese antique buildings he had purchased and restored over the years to the park.

The park will have no admission fee but contain some ticketed attractions.

“60 per cent of the park will be free, 40 per cent will be ticketed, with the money used to maintain the antique buildings.

“I am not short on money,” said Chan, who is set to shoot a new film with Chinese director Zhang Yimou next year.

Antique burden

Chan’s antique buildings had previously been at the centre of a controversy which saw Chinese netizens blast him for donating four of them to a Singapore university, as they believed the buildings were cultural relics that belonged in China.

Chan explained that the buildings had been “a huge burden” to him for years, and that he had spent huge amounts of money to restore and preserve them, only to discover he could not find a home for them.

“You don’t know the whole process. If I give you these antique houses right now to manage, let’s see how you do it!

“You probably won’t even be able to afford to upkeep them,” said the actor, adding that he had begged a lot of people for over a decade for a place to put his antique buildings, but got nowhere.

It was only after his donation to a Singapore university that he received offers from the world over to house his remaining antique buildings.

Not even his son cared about them until the controversy over his donation revealed how valuable they were.

“He wasn’t interested then. When the news broke, he became very concerned,” said Chan with a smile.

“Now he regrets it, but I have donated them all to China.”

GeneChing
04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Jackie's 60th is next Tuesday.

Operation Smile Co-Founders to Celebrate Jackie Chan’s Birthday During Charity Concert & Gala Dinner in Beijing (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/04/prweb11721503.htm)
Action star and famed stuntman Jackie Chan turns 60 years old next week and he’s celebrating this milestone with a charity concert in Beijing on April 6th where he will recognize the work of many of the humanitarian organizations he sponsors, including Operation Smile.

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2014/03/31/11721503/gI_128396_4.png
Jackie Chan during an Operation Smile medical mission.
'I have personally experienced how this surgery is life-changing, and I am honored to have been a part of this program,' said Mr. Chan.
Virginia Beach, VA (PRWEB) March 31, 2014

Action star and famed stuntman Jackie Chan turns 60 years old next week and he’s celebrating this milestone with a charity concert in Beijing on April 6th where he will recognize the work of many of the humanitarian organizations he sponsors, including Operation Smile.
Operation Smile Co-Founders, Dr. Bill and Kathy Magee will take the stage during the 2014 Peace & Love & Friendship concert to celebrate Chan and to spotlight the celebrity’s support of Operation Smile and its efforts to treat children with cleft conditions and other facial deformities worldwide.
“Jackie is a dear friend and an enthusiastic supporter of Operation Smile,” said the organization’s CEO & Co-Founder, Dr. Bill Magee. “Jackie has played an integral role in raising funds for Operation Smile and we’ve thoroughly enjoyed his companionship throughout the years, whether it be on a medical mission or as a special guest to an event or fundraiser.”
Jackie Chan was named an International Smile Ambassador for Operation Smile for his many years of generous support and advocacy. “I have personally experienced how this surgery is life-changing, and I am honored to have been a part of this program," said Mr. Chan.
For almost two decades, Jackie Chan has helped to spread awareness for children suffering from cleft lip and cleft palate. In 1993, he donated $2 million (HK) and an anesthesia machine to help Operation Smile provide free surgeries for more children in China. In 2009, during Operation Smile’s 20th anniversary commemoration of its work in Vietnam, Jackie Chan along with Operation Smile Co-Founders Dr. Bill and Kathy Magee received the National Medal for Peace and Friendship Among Nations award from the Vietnamese government.
About Operation Smile http://www.operationsmile.org
Operation Smile, headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is an international children’s medical charity with a presence in more than 60 countries, whose network of more than 5,400 medical volunteers from over 80 countries is dedicated to helping improve the health and lives of children. Since its founding in 1982, Operation Smile has provided more than 200,000 free surgeries for children and young adults born with cleft lip, cleft palate and other facial deformities. To build long-term self-sufficiency in resource poor environments, Operation Smile trains doctors and local medical professionals in its partner countries so they are empowered to treat their local communities. Operation Smile also donates medical equipment, supplies and provides year-round medical treatment through its worldwide centers.

GeneChing
04-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Jackie Chan Special Edition Lamborghini Aventador Presented in China (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/jackie-chan-special-edition-lamborghini-aventador-presented-in-china-79721.html)
BY MIHNEA RADU
8TH APRIL 2014, 12:55 UTC

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/jackie-chan-special-edition-lamborghini-aventador-presented-in-china-79721-7.jpg?1396961838
We known him from his broken but funny english in action comedies like Rush Hour and Shanghai Knights, but Jackie Chan is more than just a martial arts actor. He is an extremely giving person and has been involved in many charitable activities in his home country.

This well-known Chinese actor recently celebrated his 60th birthday and to celebrate, he got together with Lamborghini for a very special project, an Aventador in his own name, which was presented during a ceremony in Beijing yesterday.

The Aventador Jackie Chan Edition was produced using the recently launched Lamborghini Ad Personam personalization program and features the Chinese characters for "dragon" on the mirrors and headrests. "Nero Ade" wheels and "Rosso Alala" interior leather set this Aventador apart from others like it.

According to impress.jp, the supercar was exhibited during a party in honor of one of China's most famous actors and will be auctioned off for a good cause. The proceeds will go towards the China Film Institute "Jackie Chan Charity Fund" to support the development of China's film industry.

For your viewing pleasure, we give you Jacky Chan fighting a hovercraft in a Lamborghini from the 1995 movie Rumble in the Bronx. It's a classic…
We have a 60th HBD JC thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67470-HBD-Jackie-Chan!-60-today!&p=1264722) going here.

GeneChing
01-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Jackie Chan donates for firefighters killed in NE China blaze (http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainment/2015-01/08/content_19271326.htm)
Updated: 2015-01-08 11:20
(CRIENGLISH.com)

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainment/attachement/jpg/site1/20150108/001ec979096316183c3b3e.jpg
Jackie Chan. [File Photo/Xinhua]

Chinese kung fu movie star Jackie Chan has donated money to the families of firefighters killed in a recent warehouse blaze.

Chan gave over $80,000 after the tragedy in northeast China last Friday.

According to an official with the civil affairs department of Heilongjiang, the money was given to five families.

He added that the local government will also compensate them for their losses.

The five deceased firemen were buried in debris while trying to put out the fire in a warehouse at a ceramics market in Harbin, Heilongjiang's capital, last Friday.

After the tragedy, many people expressed their wish to donate to the families of these young men. The provincial civil affairs department has opened a donation account.

A memorial for the five men will be held later today. I didn't even hear about this tragedy.

GeneChing
08-14-2015, 10:06 AM
he's always front and center when it comes to donating to help provide aid in China's catastrophes.

Outpouring of donations from stars such as Jackie Chan and Fan Bingbing after Tianjin blasts (http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/outpouring-of-donations-from-stars-such-as-jackie-chan-and-fan-bingbing)

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/styles/x_large/public/articles/2015/08/14/china.jpg?itok=fpASWw6d
Action star Jackie Chan is among the celebrities who have donated money for the victims of the deadly Tianjin blasts.PHOTO: AFP
Published Aug 14, 2015, 10:51 am SGT

BEIJING - In the wake of two deadly explosions in Tianjin on Wednesday night which have left 50 dead and over 700 injured thus far, there has been an outpouring of donations from stars in the entertainment industry for the families of the firefighters who have perished, reports NetEase.

According to reports, a dozen firefighters died, 18 are missing, and dozens more have been injured.

The website has collated a list of contributions from the likes of action superstar Jackie Chan and actress Fan Bingbing.

Chan has donated 3 million yuan (S$656,000). He posted on his Weibo microblog: "Every time I see fire-fighting warriors rush into a sea of flames in order to protect the safety of the country as well as people's lives and property, seeing so many fearless firefighters rush to the frontline, you are true heroes!"

Fan has donated 1 million yuan and has been sharing public service announcements on giving way to ambulances and blood donation on Weibo.

Edko Films, one of the production companies behind the huge box office hit Monster Hunt, is donating 5 million yuan.

Newlywed couple Huang Xiaoming and Angelababy donated 2 million yuan to firefighters who were hurt as well as to the families of firefighters who died. Singer-actor Han Geng donated 1 million yuan in aid of those who were hurt in the explosions.

GeneChing
12-21-2016, 09:01 AM
'Kung Fu Yoga' star Jackie Chan attends UNICEF's 70th anniversary with Orlando Bloom, Priyanka Chopra, David Beckham (http://en.yibada.com/articles/180151/20161220/jackie-chan-unicef-goodwill-ambassador-kung-fu-yoga.htm)
Abbey Vannelli | Dec 20, 2016 03:02 PM EST

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/thumbs/full/142458/685/0/0/0/l-r-orlando-bloom-priyanka-chopra-angelique-kidjo-david-beckham-femi-kuti-ishmael-beah-jackie-chan-and-guest-attend-unicefs-70th-anniversary-event-at-united-nations-headquarters-on-december-12-2016-in-new-york-city.jpg
(L-R) Orlando Bloom, Priyanka Chopra, Angelique Kidjo, David Beckham, Femi Kuti, Ishmael Beah, Jackie Chan and guest attend UNICEF's 70th Anniversary Event at United Nations Headquarters on December 12, 2016 in New York City. (Photo : Getty Images/Mike Coppola)

"Kung Fu Yoga" star and Goodwill Ambassador Jackie Chan attended the UNICEF's 70th anniversary event in New York. The event of United Nation's agency which handles child-related issues had once again raised awareness of the myriad problems in the world. One of those touched was Chan who was so desperate over the children's ill fate that he wished he was a superhero to save the world.
The martial arts icon was among the many stars who graced the U.N. agency's event. He was appointed Goodwill Ambassador by the agency in 2004. He used his influence as a global superstar to help the cause of children. His passion to help the needy shows whenever he answers questions emphatically.
"It's not the children's fault, sometimes it's the parents, sometimes it's the area, sometimes it's the situation," Chan told BBC about children with HIV/AIDS at the sidelines of UNICEF's 70th anniversary event. "They do nothing wrong. They are just helpless."
There are 1.8 million below 16-year-old children around the world that are inflicted with HIV/AIDS, according to UNICEF's Seventh Stocktaking Report. A bit of a good news is that the number of deaths related to AIDS among children below 5 years old had been reduced.
The Hong Kong-born actor was just willing to help when UNICEF asked him. He has known that UNICEF has helped a lot of people especially children over 70 years. He hopes that the next 70 years will be focused on fostering peace worldwide.
As a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, one of Chan's ways of showing emotional support to children with HIV/AIDS is to show them the disease is not that scary. He does it by touching them and giving them a hug.
Jackie Chan: China Now Recognized by Global Movie Industry
Chan is also frustrated about children caught up in Afghanistan, Syria and in other conflict areas. Orlando Bloom, Priyanka Chopra, David Beckham, Angelique Kidjo, Femi Kuti and Ishmael Beah are among the other Goodwill Ambassadors present at the 70th anniversary.
The 62-year old Chinsese fa; Chan will appear in the upcoming action comedy Sino-Indian movie "Kung Fu Yoga" which will be available in theaters on Jan. 28, 2017. His co-stars enjoyed his company not only because of his acting but also of his good dancing skills. Indian actress Disha Patani who plays as a princess in the film told IANS over a phone talk from Mumbai, The Indian Express reported.
Listen to Chan's interview in the clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IIQ1bOtrk

"Chinsese fa;"?

GeneChing
04-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Jackie Chan’s efforts on sustainability on display (http://www.ecns.cn/2017/04-06/252192.shtml)
0 2017-04-06 09:23Shanghai DailyEditor: Huang Mingrui

An exhibition about Chinese kung fu star Jackie Chan and his focus on environmental sustainability is currently running at the Shanghai World Financial Center.

Twenty-five artists, architects and designers have spent half a year to revive the values of these stage props for the exhibition "Eye of the World, Jackie Chan Treasures."

The show features more than 40 artworks made of recycled items used in Chan's movies, including decorations, spotlights, camera lenses and other equipment.

One highlight shows two special-effect stages simulating "a mountain of swords" and the "sea of fire" where visitors can feel the exciting experiences of stunt men in Chan's movies.

The "mountain" and "sea" are made of wasted plastic bottles and sponges.

Lin Xudong, one of the artists, used an old camera and two theater seats to create an artwork named "Conversation." Another of his works, "Dragon Horse," created a large horse — Chan's zodiac sign — using spotlights that were used to make his earliest black-and-white movies.

Finishing the exhibition, visitors are invited to create their own artworks with abandoned items such as buttons and plastic bottles.

Date: Through May 20 (closed on Mondays and April 22), 10am-9pm

Address: 4/F, 100 Century Ave, Pudong

Admission: 40-80 yuan Sounds cool. Wish there were pix...

GeneChing
08-25-2017, 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0i9HjbdcTM

Jackie Charity work (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41401-Jackie%92s-Charity-work) - Pangolins (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70061-Pangolins) & WildAid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57416-WildAid-Tiger-Claw-Champion)

GeneChing
02-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Jackie Chan moves historic buildings to another place in China (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/english/hollywood/news/jackie-chan-moves-historic-buildings-to-another-place-in-china/articleshow/62609977.cms)
PTI | Updated: Jan 23, 2018, 00:13 IST

Reportedly, four historic wooden buildings, owned by action star Jackie Chan, have found a new home in China's east Anhui province.
The four Hui-style structures, which date back to the late Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) to the late Qing Dynasty (1644- 1911), will be stationed in an exhibition park in Bengbu city.
According to a report, the buildings were dismantled into coded parts in Tianjin, their original location, and sent to the park in containers before they are reconstructed.
"The buildings will be better protected here and displayed to the public after they are restored," said Yang Shu, a member of park staff.
Covering 333 hectares, the park was built to preserve Hui-style historic buildings, which are a major Chinese architectural style from ancient times.
With exquisite homes, ancestral halls and memorial archways as the most impressive embodiments, Hui-style buildings are mostly seen in Anhui and Zhejiang provinces.
Hui is one of the ethnic communities in China.
In 2013, 63-year-old Jackie Chan donated two buildings, a pavilion and an opera stage that he bought years ago, to a Singapore university. It led to a heated debate in China over the preservation of such antiquities.

Sometimes Jackie is too cool for school.

GeneChing
06-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Jackie Chan leads poverty reduction drive in China (http://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/jackie-chan-leads-poverty-reduction-drive-china)

http://www.asiaone.com/sites/default/files/styles/700x500/public/original_images/Apr2018/jackiechansing-afp.JPG?itok=VwSV0mv3
Chan singing during the launch of the 2022 Winter Olympics logo in Beijing in December 2017.
PHOTO: AFP

THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK Jun 04, 2018

Hong Kong action superstar Jackie Chan will be leading a poverty alleviation programme in China, Sin Chew Daily reported.

Together with movie stars such as Fan Bingbing, Zhou Xun and Li Chen, they will be divided into teams to visit more than 10 impoverished districts in China.

They will then see how they can improve the livelihood of the poor.

“Hopefully someday, we can proudly say that there are no poor people in China.”

Good luck with this one.

GeneChing
09-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Jackie Chan’s Green Heroes – National Geographic (https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/events/jackie-chans-green-heroes-national-geographic-1-september/)
Sat, September 1 19:00

https://keyassets-p2.timeincuk.net/wp/prod/wp-content/uploads/sites/42/2018/08/jackie-chan1.jpg

During the filming of 2015’s Dragon Blade, Jackie Chan grew angry.

The team used 2,000 boxes of bottled water in just five days, and the film star couldn’t believe there wasn’t a solution to turn that waste into something useful.

So he teamed up with green engineer Arthur Huang and they dreamed up the Trashpresso – the world’s first mobile recycling plant.

This one-off follows them as they take the prototype to the Tibetan Plateau to see how the machine fares in one of the world’s harshest environments.

https://keyassets-p2.timeincuk.net/wp/prod/wp-content/uploads/sites/42/2018/08/jackie-chan2.jpg

Jackie educates children on the importance of recycling at the Tibetan Plateau

An entertaining, eccentric, but ultimately uplifting story on tackling plastic waste.

TV Times rating: ****

Read more at https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/events/jackie-chans-green-heroes-national-geographic-1-september/#AFeKKCu8mErAlcDr.99

THREADS
Dragon Blade (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67531-Dragon-Blade)
Jackie’s Charity work (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41401-Jackie%92s-Charity-work)

GeneChing
10-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Jackie Chan's 'Kung Fu Pangolins' bag Shorty nomination (https://www.jacarandafm.com/shows/scenic-drive-rian/jackie-chans-kung-fu-pangolins-bag-shorty-nomination/)
Updated Oct. 26, 2018, 3:10 p.m. | By The Scenic Drive with Rian

International kung fu superstar Jackie Chan is doing his part to protect the endangered pangolin, and the Shorty Social Good Awards panel is taking notice.

https://turntable.kagiso.io/images/chan_x_pangolins.width-800.png
Facebook screenshot

Pangolins are the most trafficked wild mammal in the world and are regarded as an endangered species. The anteaters have tough scales, which poachers sell along with meat from the pangolin's body.

In 2017, American environmental organisation WildAid enlisted the help of international kung fu superstar Jackie Chan in creating a public service announcement about protecting pangolins. In it, Chan trains three pangolins to protect themselves by fighting back.

The PSA, which carries the tagline "It takes just one move to protect pangolins", was viewed 13 million times on social media. The campaign has now been named as a finalist in the Shorty Social Good Awards.
The impression left by the PSA was positive, with Shorty reporting notable changes in people's attitudes towards the buying and selling of pangolin products since seeing Jackie Chan's message.

WildAid's mission is to end illegal wildlife trade through public awareness campaigns. It's a noble cause that must be fought for - and it certainly helps to have a famous face to help it along. Jackie Chan exudes his trademark humour, charm and agility as he teaches the animals how to protect themselves, making the PSA as fun to watch as it is educational.

Chan has previously shown his concern for preserving wildlife species in a video aimed at curbing rhino poaching called "Say No", which was shot with the African Wildlife Foundation.

Image: WildAid

The PSA was posted here last year. (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70061-Pangolins&p=1304536#post1304536)

Jackie Charity work (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41401-Jackie%92s-Charity-work) - Pangolins (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70061-Pangolins) & WildAid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57416-WildAid-Tiger-Claw-Champion)

GeneChing
01-18-2019, 09:23 AM
Jackie Chan to visit Utah for environmental exhibit (https://kjzz.com/news/local/jackie-chan-to-visit-utah-for-environmental-exhibit)
BY MCKENZIE STAUFFER FRIDAY, JANUARY 18TH 2019

https://static-19.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/9341cade-6c6c-4144-b613-6a9a8fb97e91-large16x9_1280x960_50403P00INZMU.jpg?1547826924890
Jackie Chan will be visiting Utah for the North America premiere of his environmental exhibit "Jackie Chan: Green Hero." (Photo: MGN)

(KUTV) — Jackie Chan will be visiting Utah for the North America premiere of his environmental exhibit "Jackie Chan: Green Hero," a press release stated.

The event will be hosted at The Leonardo: Museum of Creativity and Innovation in Salt Lake City on January 25 at 8:00 p.m.

Visitors can listen to live music from local performers, enjoy food and drinks and get a private, one-hour tour of the Green Hero art exhibit.

There will also be a panel before the opening party. The invited guests include: C. Arden Pope III, a BYU professor of economics; Julie Kilgore, the president of Wasatch Environmental; David Bywater, the CEO of Vivint Solar; Andy Noorda, chairman and co-founder of Wholistic Research & Education Foundation; and Shane McKenna, the inventor, founder and CTO of Ascending Harvest.

Nobel prize winner Dr. Mario Capecchi will moderate the session.

For more information, visit www.theleonardo.org.

An Evening With Jackie Chan’s Exhibit “Green Hero” (https://theleonardo.org/an-evening-with-jackie-chan/)

Join us for An Evening with Jackie Chan‘s Exhibit “Green Hero” at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City, UT on January 25th, from 8pm-11pm. Have the chance to hear him speak and see The Leonardo’s newest exhibit!

Jackie Chan’s Exhibit “Green Hero” centers around one of his lifelong passions to help clean up the environment. By attending this event, you will be the first to see this exhibit! Enjoy live music entertainment featuring some of the best entertainment and performers across the state of Utah.

https://theleonardo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/jackie-chan-green-hero-cover.jpg

TICKETS
EARLYBIRD SALE – ONLY $55 until January 6th

$75 January 7th – January 15th
$100 January 16th until event

Includes:
Early admission to Jackie Chan “Green Hero” exhibit
Entertainment
Cash bars
Appetizers
Remarks by Jackie Chan

ALL-AGES EVENT

VIP EXPERIENCE:
**LIMITED TO 50 PEOPLE ONLY**
A private one-hour tour of the Green Hero art exhibit, experience how Jackie Chan’s creation team were inspired to create the amazing artwork through recycling materials. The creation team along with The Leonardo will share curated details on the sculptures and the environmental journey on how Chan brings the “Green Hero” message and legacy to The Leonardo museum.
Appetizers, drinks, access to pre-opening exhibit on January 25th.
Includes access to An Evening with Jackie Chan “Green Hero”.
The ONLY night with an opportunity where the creative team will be present at The Leonardo and share about original works. Experience and unforgettable night, Jackie Chan Green Hero art exhibit.

NO PHOTO OPS. NO AUTOGRAPHS.
$500/PERSON. If you would like to upgrade your current ticket purchase, please contact The Leonardo Museum.
Well played, Leonardo Museum. This is sure to be a great fundraiser and opportunity to showcase environmentalism.

GeneChing
01-28-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm splitting this Jackie Chan: Green Hero (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71188-Jackie-Chan-Green-Hero) thread off the Jackie's Charity Work (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41401-Jackie%92s-Charity-work) thread (the post above is copied from that). He was just on GMA for his new autobio (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68575-Never-Grow-Up-AKA-Growing-Old-Before-Growing-Up-new-autobiography-by-Jackie-Chan), and obviously in the US for this, but they didn't go there at all.

Jackie Chan wants to clean up the world, but he needs your help: 'I’m Jackie; I’m not the superman' (https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900052209/jackie-chan-green-hero-utah-salt-lake-city-the-leonardo-wants-to-clean-up-the-world-but-he-needs-your-help-im-jackie-im-not-the-superman.html)
By Lottie Peterson Johnson
Published: January 24, 2019 2:14 pm
Updated: Jan. 24, 2019 2:15 p.m.

https://media.deseretdigital.com/file/4a80b19103?resize=width_1200&type=jpg&c=6&a=e0717f4c
Jackie Chan waves goodbye to Mountain View Elementary school students at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019.

SALT LAKE CITY — Jackie Chan is well-known for his acrobatic fight scenes and ability to use just about anything in his path as a weapon.

But here’s some lesser-known facts about the film star: He’s been using the same bar of soap for eight months. He wears out the soles of his shoes. And he can spend a large chunk of time in a public restroom, using the excess paper towels people have thrown away to clean his surroundings.

“Sometimes my colleagues say, ‘What’s Jackie doing in the bathroom? He never comes out,'” Chan joked at a press event Thursday afternoon at the Leonardo Museum. “I just use the useless paper to clean all the things. I really want to use one paper. It’s so easy, (in) the small detail, you can save a lot of things.”

https://media.deseretdigital.com/file/52684b2775?crop=top:0|left:0|width:300&quality=100&resize=width:300&order=resize,crop&c=14&a=60159a39
Laura Seitz, Deseret News

Jackie Chan speaks at a media event for the 'Jackie Chan: Green Hero' exhibit at The Leonardo in Salty Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019.
That resourcefulness is the heart of Chan’s art exhibit, “Jackie Chan: Green Hero,” which has its U.S. premiere at the Leonardo Saturday, Jan. 26. Throughout his career, Chan said he’s been astonished by the waste created and left on his film sets. So as he came across leftover materials like old camera equipment and film, he would store it in his loft. Thanks to artists he’s met over the years, Chan commissioned and now has an exhibit displaying those very materials — transformed into a series of imaginative sculptures.

One sculpture was created using light cases from movies and discarded electric bicycles to form an octopus. Another uses disposable paper cups to create a hand prototype based on Chan’s hand.

During the press event, Chan spoke as part of a panel alongside Utah environmental watchdogs Arden Pope III, a BYU professor of economics; Julie Kilgore, president of Wasatch Environmental; David Bywater, CEO of Vivint Solar; Andy Noorda, chairman and co-founder of Wholistic Research & Education Foundation; and Shane McKenna, the inventor, founder and CTO of Ascending Harvest.

https://media.deseretdigital.com/file/88d7434306?crop=top:0|left:0|width:540&quality=100&resize=width:540&order=resize,crop&c=14&a=a4fdc7d7
Jackie Chan, second from left, speaks during a panel discussion at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019. Other panelists include Dr. Mario Capecchi, far left, Andy Noorda, David Bywater, Julie Kilgore, Arden Pope and Shane McKenna.

Opening the panel discussion, moderator and Nobel prize winner Mario Capecchi offered his own thoughts about the environment.

“Global warming is real. It’s caused by man, and the science behind that statement cannot be disputed," Capecchi said. "… Since we caused it, we have to solve it. We have to use our ingenuity to curb this problem. We’ve already seen the devastation that has occurred — floods unprecedented, wildfires, forest fires all over the country — and this will continue and increase. And the further we wait, the more devastating the cost will be both to humans as well as the world economy. It’s a world problem. We all have to participate.”

Chan, who spoke of his impoverished upbringing, shared how he has long participated in this effort and wants to use his position as a celebrity to inspire people to be more responsible when it comes to the environment — something he displayed at the Thursday press event while working with students from Mountain View Elementary School, the No. 1 recycling school in Salt Lake School District, on an interactive art project using recycled materials.

https://media.deseretdigital.com/file/9d792f2736?crop=top:0|left:0|width:1280&quality=100&resize=width:1280&order=resize,crop&c=14&a=06e55b86
Jackie Chan observes Mountain View Elementary school students as they make crafts using recyclable products at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019.

“How do you use the things you don’t want anymore? It’s about time to show the world I've been doing this a long time,” he said, noting that his busy film schedule has made it difficult to promote his passion. “Whatever I can do I put in the movie, like (in) ‘Karate Kid,’ I tell Jaden Smith: ‘Switch, turn off, turn on. The water, turn on, turn off.' I try through my movies to teach the children, to teach the people to save the world because the world give us so much. … I know there’s so many children (who) learn from me, so (it’s) very important through my movies how I act, how I talk. I just try the best I can (to show) how we can save the world. (But) I’m Jackie; I’m not the superman.”

"Jackie Chan: Green Hero" opens to the public Jan. 26 at noon.