PDA

View Full Version : I'm not fat. I'm Fluffy!

SanHeChuan
05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
So I want a six pack. I got the muscles and if you squint and kinda tilt your head to the side you can almost make them out. :D Basically I want my abs shrink wrapped not bubble wrapped. ;)

So that's where I'm coming from. That's my goal.

Anyway as part of my effort I'm adding some extra cardio into my routine. I want to know if wearing sweats while doing cardio will help me to lose fat instead of just water weight? Does raising your body temp actually help to "burn" fat?

Oso
05-12-2006, 08:48 AM
i don't think so but Ford or Iron might have more to say than that....or Toby....where the hell has he been?

I think the whole 'thermogenics' thing might have some shred of reality but has moslty been hyped by the supplement industry.

wearing vinyl suits and such are just ways to loose water weight quicker.

Crushing Fist
05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
as far as I know you can do cardio, sit-ups, and anything else you can think of until the apocalypse without getting a six-pack.

Only a strict diet regime will bring those suckers out like what you want.

carbs... ixnay

fat... see ya later

this only leaves protein for consumption

and this is of course not a healthy diet at all. but I understand its what bodybuilders do before competition in order to get the best possible definition.

when I did a 3 day fast my six-pack came out pretty good.

of course it went away when I started to eat again.

So yeah, as far as I know... caloric restriction, and regulation of where those calories are coming from is the only path before you.

does anyone think this is wrong?

because I'd love to be proved wrong here :D

SanHeChuan
05-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Well I hope your wrong.

My friend has six percent body fat, but he lives off of power bars and tuna.

oat meal for breakfast
apple and protein bar or shake at 10
Tuna and hot sauces at 12
apple at 2
1/2 gallon of water a day plus 2 hours at the gym
i don't know what he eats the rest of the day, but it ain't tasty that for sure. The only day he eats real food in on Sunday.

dude has the most discipline in his diet and gym schedule than anyone I've ever even imagined.

I wouldn't trade his diet for his body though, there has to be another way. Can't I just burn more calories?

Oso
05-12-2006, 02:36 PM
you need SOME carbs and you need SOME fat.

eliminating those things is not the way to go

Those three things and water are macronutrients and your body needs some of each of them every day.

getting your body to burn fat during exercise is what needs to happen and that's some tricky shiat indeed.

Crushing Fist
05-12-2006, 02:37 PM
in theory I guess you could...

if you have that kind of time. :D

unless your job consists of 10-12 hours a day of hard labor you probably don't.

You can probably eat straight lard and have washboard abs if you also run 80 miles a day with a 200lb log on your back...

the thing about the six pack though, is that its in the "gut region" (thats a medical term)

I think that makes it a tough cookie as far as the body sculpting goes.

everything in life is a trade off

do you want yummy treats or ripped abs?

choices, choices.

one thing is certain... the guys in those bowflex ads don't get that way by doing 20 mins a day 3 days a week and eating twinkies. :D

Crushing Fist
05-12-2006, 02:43 PM
you need SOME carbs and you need SOME fat.

eliminating those things is not the way to go

Those three things and water are macronutrients and your body needs some of each of them every day.

getting your body to burn fat during exercise is what needs to happen and that's some tricky shiat indeed.

True that...

Very unhealthy, yet popular with the bodybuilders.

Brain function is the first thing to go when you get carb defficient.

but seriously, the older we get the less our metabolism is going to cut us slack.

I repeat

do you want Ho-Hos or a six-pack?

hmmm, I could go for some ho-hos and a six pack of that terrapin high grav stuff I had at lunch today...

NOOOOO!!! my ABS!!!!! :D

Oso
05-12-2006, 04:20 PM
go for the high grav....I am.... ;)

SanHeChuan
05-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Oso, go for the high grav....I am....

What...?

_______
I'm not even talking about fast food and junk food. I do eat healthy (mostly), but I'm not on a strict tuna, apple, supplement diet 6 days a week. There has to be a variety of alternatives, some of which taste good.

What happened to a balanced diet, and you do need carbs to help process the protein, I think.

Yeah, it's a cruel twist of fate that the "Gut area" is the last place on my body to lose fat. :rolleyes:

What's if my diet were something like this?

8 Oat meal
10 Apple and Arizona tea
12 Tuna salad/sandwich/pita (tuna, ranch, relish, horseradish, bacon, spinach) and Water
2 Apple and Arizona tea
4 Chicken/turkey with mixed veg (peas,corn, mushrooms, spinach) and Italian dressing and Water
6 Protein, banana, and skim milk shake
8 Taco bell's grilled stuff burrito with sweet tea :D Biggest vice right there I love that stuff hmmm good.

.....Yeah i'm probably not going to get a six pack eating like that, But i'm still going to try **** it! :mad:

Oso
05-12-2006, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't trade his diet for his body though, there has to be another way. Can't I just burn more calories?

yes...sorta...I just read this book that while very educating was still confusing.

it seems to be a really very fine line on how you end up burning fat

Oso
05-12-2006, 07:18 PM
High Gravity Beer.

i.e. beer that starts out at a higher specific gravity than water but then give up a certain amount of that density in the propagation of alcohol resulting in a higher percentage of alcohol by volume (ABV).

It is considered uncouth to refer to such beers as 'high alcohol' because it makes you sound like you're in it just for the buzz. ;)

Crushing Fist
05-12-2006, 08:29 PM
ok so I didn't end up going for the high grav... even though they had a bunch of nice looking ones.

Instead I found this "Juju Ginger" Ale brewed with ginger from Left Hand out of Colorado.

Never seen this one before and I love me some ginger so it was a no-brainer.

Its the closest thing to true alcoholic ginger beer I've found yet, and its pretty good.

Man, we always end up talking about beer... :p

Now I feel that I should at least try to tie it into the thread.

I knew a guy whose diet consisted of a gallon of beer a day, everyday, vienna sausages and little debbie cakes. This guy was fairly thin, not washboard abs but he didn't work out at all.

His job...

He worked with me toting logs on his back 10 hours a day. :D

I don't do that anymore but I miss it sometimes :)

San - You'd be doing good if you could get rid of that sweet tea

the grilled stuft burrito can't help either...

maybe make them a once a week treat

try watered down carrot juice, its surprisingly tatsy :D

A guy I trained with lost 120 lbs with controlled diet and exercise.

went from overweight to ripped abs.

Oso
05-13-2006, 06:00 AM
I've seen that JuJu Ginger but wasn't sure it would be that good so I stayed away.

The girl's mom is in town so we went out to dinner at a good sushi place.

Had some of the cold Pearl Saki.

Then went up the street and had a pint of Tasgall for dessert.

Beer is Life. That's why all conversations evolve to it.

When I'm being good about diet this is my food consumption in a normal workday:

Breakfast:
Coffee and Powerbar

Snack/Lunch/Snack:

Protein Shake:
1.5 cups OJ
2 large carrots
1 Apple
1 Bananna
1 Tablespoon ginger
90 grams of 90% whey isolate

I'll sip on that through out the day.

Sometimes, I'll have another powerbar before classes at 5pm or so.

Dinner:

Meat
Veggies (carrots, onions, broccoli)
some sort of sauce
sometimes a little rice or a little wholegrain pasta

unfortunately, dinner is late in the day(9pm), can't help it but I try to not do a lot of carbs and just stirfry the meat and veggies.

Crushing Fist
05-13-2006, 06:25 AM
well to be fair, the Juju Ginger was bit lighter than I usually like, but I always get the non-alcoholic Gonger Beer when I go to the Jerk Chicken place, so I had to give thiS A try on principle. I saw a recipe for true alcoholic ginger beer a long time ago, but never tried to make it and haven't seen the stuff anywhere.

This was refreshing but by no means my favorite.

my diet sucks

I go back and forth between eating way to much fried food (like buffalo wings, my kryptonite... the hotter the better :D ) and fasting...

after all my chinese sign is the snake :p

SanHeChuan
05-13-2006, 01:18 PM
OK so back to my original question for a moment, nobody knows if sweats help to burn fat? :confused:

Oso
Snack/Lunch/Snack:

Protein Shake:
1.5 cups OJ
2 large carrots
1 Apple
1 Banana
1 Tablespoon ginger
90 grams of 90% whey isolate

I'll sip on that through out the day.

That would be kewl but my shakes don't maintain their consistency. If I don't drink them right away, I have to remix them. Not so good for the apatite.

On the topic of diet does anyone know about the diabetic sugar splenda/sucralose, specifically weather or not it spikes your insulin levels and triggers fat storage like regular sugar?

Oso
05-13-2006, 01:36 PM
gave my .02 in my first post.

on the shake. That recipe makes just under a quart. I have to keep it chilled and re shake it through out the day. just don't think about it and throw it down.

fwiw, I throw the ginger in ther partly for it's supposed 'thermogenic' properties.

fa_jing
05-13-2006, 05:23 PM
get some Chinese Ballerina Dieter's tea, and buy lots of toilet paper.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-22-2006, 02:29 PM
OK so back to my original question for a moment, nobody knows if sweats help to burn fat? :confused:

That would be kewl but my shakes don't maintain their consistency. If I don't drink them right away, I have to remix them. Not so good for the apatite.

On the topic of diet does anyone know about the diabetic sugar splenda/sucralose, specifically weather or not it spikes your insulin levels and triggers fat storage like regular sugar?

**** that ... if youre going to use anything just use sugar.

dont give yourself cancer to spare your vanity. use sugar or drink your coffee and tea like a man.

Oso
05-22-2006, 06:05 PM
use sugar or drink your coffee and tea like a man.

hey, I've been drinking coffee with cream and sugar since I was 8!

Nothing wrong with that...I like my coffee like I like my wimmin: Strong, Sweet and Creamy.

People who try my coffee tell me it's as strong as espresso...guess I've had to up the dosage over the years. :)

SevenStar
05-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Back to the original question, raising the body heat will not help the body burn fat, per se. Raising the temp helps the body to be more thermogenic in the sense that you will burn more total calories. carbs have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9. protein has 4 as well.

As for wearing sweats, vinyl suits, etc. fuhgettaboutem. just train hard. you're not going to burn any extra fat from wearing a suit.

SevenStar
05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
**** that ... if youre going to use anything just use sugar.

dont give yourself cancer to spare your vanity. use sugar or drink your coffee and tea like a man.

actually, the cancer thing is done. If you look at a pack of sweet n low, it no longer contains the warning saying saccharin may cause cancer. The statue of limitations of that is like 10 years. In that time, they couldn't prove anything more substantial than a few lab rats who were fed the stuff got cancer, so they were officially allowed to remove that warning from the packaging, as there is not enough evidence to prove that it really causes cancer.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
hey, I've been drinking coffee with cream and sugar since I was 8!

Nothing wrong with that...I like my coffee like I like my wimmin: Strong, Sweet and Creamy.

People who try my coffee tell me it's as strong as espresso...guess I've had to up the dosage over the years. :)

ehh im just jealous. i dont have a sweet tooth so the only source of refined sugar i had was what i put in my tea and coffee. so i quit it. im fine drinking the coffee black, but sometimes i really miss the sugar in my tea.

actually, the cancer thing is done. If you look at a pack of sweet n low, it no longer contains the warning saying saccharin may cause cancer. The statue of limitations of that is like 10 years. In that time, they couldn't prove anything more substantial than a few lab rats who were fed the stuff got cancer, so they were officially allowed to remove that warning from the packaging, as there is not enough evidence to prove that it really causes cancer.

i still feel safer using sugar if anything. im more cautious than most about such things though hehe.

Oso
05-23-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't really have a sweet tooth either...if someone doesn't make it for me or buy it and bring it in to the house...I don't crave it...except for PIE of course.

I agree about all the ultra-sweeteners, anything 400-600 times as sweet as sugar has got to be bad for you.

SanHeChuan
05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
I take sugar in my coffee too, I was just asking because the arizona tea I like has that fake sugar in it.

Sevenstar, thanks for the info :cool:

SanHeChuan
06-01-2006, 08:02 PM
should anyone care, I've seen some progress. I've lost maybe 10lbs, from diet mostly as my "PT" schedule hasn't changed as it should. I just need to be able to see that last set of abs at the bottom. :o

Here's what I'm eating...mostly

8am oat meal
10am fat free yogurt
12pm Pita (salad pocket) with spinach and tuna, chicken or turkey and various tasty additives.
Protein shake with banana, fat free milk, and a splash of OJ
2pm an apple
4pm Pita
6pm In class
8pm something microwaved, usually healthy, or 2 pitas (no more taco bell):p
10pm snack on some turkey slices
12pm sleep

I got off my schedule over the long weekend though when i went out of town. I'm going to look at picking up some ginger over the weekend, and hopefully I'll start a work out schedule. :rolleyes:

If I could lose another 5 pounds and get to 170, and fight at 160 that would rock! I weighed 165 once but I was also selling my plasma to eat so...I was on the give plasma + subway diet. :eek:

Pork Chop
06-01-2006, 09:56 PM
btw- the illegal supplement Clenbuterol works by raising the body's temperature a degree or 2 and the weight just melts off. That's also how Hot Rox and Hydroxycut Hardcore kinda work too. Not really sure why Clenbuterol's illegal as niacin can also cause this, but whatever. Clen is what bodybuilders use when they wanna shred.

Like 7* said though, I think it only works from inside, out; not from outside, in.

I think I've been eating less than SanHeChuan for the last month, but according to the scale in the kickboxing gym today i was 255- 5 pounds away from my heaviest weight ever. I doubt my arms have ever been as big as they are now, so I'm doing my best not to freak out over it.

Oso
06-02-2006, 03:32 AM
dude, we're the exact same weight.

SanHeChuan
06-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Eating less isn't always the best thing to do because, your body could start storing more fat to use when you don't feed it. Also spacing your meals out gives your metabolism time to slow down, where as if you eat every 2-3 hrs It'll keep burning calories. Then you got to look at what your eating, when you do.

I'm kind of scared to use hydroxy cut type stuff, people where I work use it (and abuse it) and complain about shaking and sweating and I don't want to feel like **** because I wont feel like working out. I'd rather just lose weight the old fashion way. Plus one guy passed out on a three mile run, by himself.
:rolleyes:
:eek:

qiphlow
06-02-2006, 08:36 AM
...you gotta roast your own beans! i am now an official member of the coffee junkie cult. i buy my beans green, roast'em myself, grind 'em up, drink. better than starfcuk's, that's for sure!
and also, black coffee is the only way to go..milk & sugar is for girls.

Pork Chop
06-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Eating less isn't always the best thing to do because, your body could start storing more fat to use when you don't feed it. Also spacing your meals out gives your metabolism time to slow down, where as if you eat every 2-3 hrs It'll keep burning calories. Then you got to look at what your eating, when you do.

Yah, at work I am able to spread out my meals well. Outside of work, on off days, not as well. After working out, I'm lucky if I can down my chocolate milk and Creatine cuz i'm never hungry. Sometimes I get a lil hungry right before bed. I'm not one of those people who says "no eating after such and such time", coz we do need protein while we're sleeping; but i don't wanna go to bed on a full belly.

I'm noticing that when i drink the veggie drinks and on days where I eat a lot of fruits & veggies; I don't have the same cravings for food and I generally feel a lot better. I guess my mentality at the moment is trying to make sure that I get enough vitamins from my food, regardless of my multivitamin.

I'm kind of scared to use hydroxy cut type stuff, people where I work use it (and abuse it) and complain about shaking and sweating and I don't want to feel like **** because I wont feel like working out. I'd rather just lose weight the old fashion way. Plus one guy passed out on a three mile run, by himself.
:rolleyes:
:eek:

There's a very good chance that the problems I've had with heat exhaustion have been caused by, or at least exacerbated by taking Hot Rox. Things have gotten better since I switched from Hot Rox to Alpha Male, but the weather's been a lil more cooperative too- I also may finally be adapting.

dude, we're the exact same weight.

Considering how much beer you drink, you can understand why that would bother me. :p hehe j/k
No, I remember a while back you told me that we were about the same height- maybe within an inch or 2 of each other, but I've always just had this impression that you were bigger n stronger than me. Doubt I'll be picking up any washing machines any time soon; though now that I think about it, I'd like to try. haha

The only reason the weight's really an issue for me is coz so many coaches over the years really ingrained it in my head that I had no business fighting heavyweight if i wasn't over 6' and built like a linebacker. Then again, 190 & down are STACKED divisions with really fast guys who can hit hard. Plus, I'm around the same height as Dempsey, Marciano, and Tyson.

On a side note, I feel real good today. My legs are so sore I can barely walk, but I have this total feeling of well being that i don't remember having for a while. I think it's the alpha male.