PDA

View Full Version : What Style Would Work ?

FANWOO
05-12-2006, 12:40 AM
i am very interested in learning a good martial art style for defense,and without the frills and bells of "pretty" styles. more of a "get in and get out style." very simple in application,yet effective. any suggestions ?

respectfully,peter

Paul T England
05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Krav Maga, systema, Boxing, wrestling

Most others have bells and whistles of some sort even bjj anf JKD

look for a teacher rather than a style.

GreenCloudCLF
05-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Shooting range

David Jamieson
05-12-2006, 07:06 AM
any style that addresses stand up / clinch/ ground will get you rounded.

many styles do address these things, it is up to the teacher to make the emphasis on the goal of what is taught though.

you could learn these ranges in many styles of chinese martial arts. But again, it's what is emphasized in the classes.

Is it about preservation of forms for posterity and forms competition or is it about using the style effectively in confrontation or as a sportive combative.

if you want straight gravy, go for straight gravy.

be prepared to put time in. You can't rush it and you can't "see and know".
You have to practice and practice and when finished that, practice some more.

You have to make structure, you have to apply and you have to apply against resistance to know what is going to work for you and what you cannot make work.

SPJ
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
As pointed out, the practitioners make the style work.

Eventually, whatever works for you is Your style.

:D

SPJ
05-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Each style has its own emphases or core tactics and strategy or principles.

Different "Ways" of solving the common fighting problems or scenarios.

Some prefers to strike.

Some prefers to grab and hold.

Some prefers to throw.

Some prefers to wrestle on the ground.

---

:D

SanHeChuan
05-12-2006, 06:27 PM
There are hundreds of styles of martial arts, why don't you start by telling us what the options are in your area. You're not going to commute to san fan every night even if we said the greatest school in the world was there. You probably wouldn't even drive an hour away. So, where you at? :confused:

Donkwoon
05-12-2006, 06:47 PM
To be reasonable, most people are not going to want to drive any more than 30min. to get to a regular class (say 2-4 times a week). You have to think long term.

Even after you list the schools here that you can get to that is only going to allow us to discuss the theory of the style. You will still need to go and check out each school.

dw3041
05-12-2006, 10:31 PM
It's sad but true that most martial arts are made to be flashy. I've heard of many cases where someone had been studying a martial art for years and still couldn't fight to save their life.

As far as my personal experience goes, some of the styles that I've seen that are less flashy and more focused on functionality are:

-Ba Gua
-Southern Mantis kung fu
-Aikido
-Jeet Kune Do

The second two are a little bit flashy but still effective in real life situations. Some people might disagree about this, but this has just been my experience.

Alot also just depends on who teaches you too.

If you can't find anyone who teaches any of these styles then my personal advice would be just to try sticking with a soft style.

dainos
05-13-2006, 10:06 PM
i thought hungar was good and hisnigi. but that is from personal expearance

maybe try sparring alot

SimonM
05-13-2006, 10:21 PM
hisnigi

Do you mean Xingyi?

In the new repitoire department I've been working with some xingyi material and (most recently) a tiny bit of Baji. Both seem rather straightforward but not particularly well rounded... Mostly hand striking techniques in both cases.

IronFist
05-13-2006, 10:25 PM
^ I think he means Hsing-i, oh, Xingyi, like you said.

The answer to the original question is Muay Thai and BJJ :)

SimonM
05-13-2006, 10:30 PM
^ I think he means Hsing-i, oh, Xingyi, like you said.

The answer to the original question is Muay Thai and BJJ :)

MT and BJJ together is one of many cross-training regimens that can produce a well rounded fighter. It's not the only one by far.

CaptinPickAxe
05-13-2006, 10:48 PM
No frills? Really want to learn to fight/defend?

Cut the crap and take an MMA or a hard sparring martial art. Save the frills for womens dresses. You'll need the full range. Here's some ideas:

-Stand Up: Maybe some Boxing or some Muay Thai. I also hear great things about Baji
-The Clench: I'm biased towards Shuai Chiao, but Judo seems to cut the mustard as well. It' all in HOW you train. Oh, stear clear of the Aikido guys...they are some tools.
-The Ground: I gotta go with BJJ here. It's the most comprehensive ground art