PDA

View Full Version : question about wing chun

BruceSteveRoy
05-12-2006, 05:51 AM
i will admit that i know very little about wing chun. from what i have seen it looks very efficient. its a quick and to the point martial art ( at least thats what i see). i was told that it has very few hand forms. i figured the best way to get accurate information about the system was to ask the wing chunners. so i was wondering how many hand forms are in the system and what their names are. Sorry if its a stupid question but i am curious. Thanks.
~steve

Kapten Klutz
05-12-2006, 06:12 AM
I'm quite new to WC but this link helped me with the same question:

http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/empty.asp#top

It contains a summary of the 3 hand forms, the dummy form and 2 weapons forms, and film clips. Hope it's useful to you as well.

ntc
05-12-2006, 06:19 AM
You should also be aware that there are different variations of Wing Chun. The most popular is Yip Man Wing Chun from Hong Kong. Others originated elsewhere, either directly or indirectly, including from China (FutShan, Hung Fa Yee, etc.) and Vietnam. Very commonly you will see the discussions cenetered around the Hong Kong WC from Yip Man, and in this style, as Kapten had mentioned, includes 3 empty hand forms, 1 wooden dummy form, 1 staff form, and 1 knives form.

BruceSteveRoy
05-12-2006, 06:22 AM
Awesome thanks. which form is this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJX216fiIbs&search=wing%20chun

BruceSteveRoy
05-12-2006, 06:28 AM
o wow! i have been trying to find out about a sifu that on this website for a few months. weird how these things just fll into your lap sometimes. i don't know why i didnt just ask here to begin with.

New Jersey

Mount Laurel - Master Keith Mazza
The Traditional Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy
3747 Church Road
mount Laurel, NJ 08054
(856)231-0352

is his school any good? i have a friend that wants to study kung fu and i told her to look into wing chun. and i spent a few hour trying to find schools near her and this one was the closest. in my kung fu i travel in different circles and don't know too many wing chunners so i didn't have anyone to ask.

with that all said has anyone heard of him? or can anyone vouch for the quality of his kwoon? Thanks!

Kapten Klutz
05-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Awesome thanks. which form is this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJX216fiIbs&search=wing%20chun

Siu lim tao (spelling may vary)

The first form. The one I'm working on at the moment though we do parts of it a little different.

ntc
05-12-2006, 07:26 AM
BruceSteveRoy: You are in good hands.... Tai Yim is a very good teacher. And while you are there, have him teach you Cantonese as well......... you'll enjoy it. I remember running into an American student of his back in 1994, and she totally surprised me with her fluency of Cantonese.

Good luck.

BruceSteveRoy
05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Yes sir, sifu Tai Yim is a great teacher also a nice person. You know the thought to have him teach me cantonese never even crossed my mind. but i should really look into it. thanks.

Angelo F.
05-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Steve,

Master Mazza's school in Mount Laurel, NJ is definately a place you should go to if you want to learn Wing Chun.

I have been there a number of times for seminars and always learn a lot.
Master Mazza is very approachable, knowledgable and is someone who really and truely loves the art.

You should try and make it to his school to watch a class and talk with him.

I don't think you will regret it after you have met him.

Hope this helps,

Angelo F.

BruceSteveRoy
05-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks it helps a lot. I am not looking for a new school. I like my school a lot and my sifu is great. I have a friend in NJ that i was looking for a school for. As it turns out she lives right near the school and never knew it. I have already contacted her with your reccomendation and she is very excited to go observe the classes. Thanks again.

~steve

Angelo F.
05-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Steve,

No problem.
Glad I could help.

Angelo F.