PDA

View Full Version : What Is This Old Master Refering To ?

FANWOO
05-12-2006, 01:51 PM
hello, recently i watched a video of a chinese master of hsing-i talk about fighting. he said that in one of his fights from younger years,he used the crushing fist form,and hit the guy with chi from his lungs which only knocked his opponent out. the old master ( probably in his 70s) said had he used chi from his kidneys that his opponent would have died. what does all this mean ? i thought that power in a strike came from having a very strong core,back,and legs. so that is how i have trained. but after hearing this, i am confused. could someone please tell me what the old master was saying ?

PLEASE DISREGARD THE POST "I NEED HELP " IN THE INTERNAL ART THREAD. THIS IS THE SAME ONE

respectfully,peter

Crushing Fist
05-12-2006, 02:13 PM
you are correct in where power from a strike comes from, although you didn't mention staying relaxed and linking these components together.

I would guess he was not referring to "striking power"

chi and striking power are usually considered seperate things... everyone believes in striking power, whereas a chi element of striking is still debated.

perhaps (just guessing here) he was referring to the meridian along which he delivered chi to his opponent.

or perhaps he was actually talking about where the chi was stored in his body that he then delivered in this strike. Certainly the Lungs and Kidneys are well known meridians but this is the first i have heard of using them to launch chi from. It is interesting though. can you link the video?

PangQuan
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
the kidney's store ones original essence or qi. that energy given to you by your parents, during your creational process. yin/yang.

the lungs contain qi that you get from the air.

this is according to chinese medicine.

he could simply be referring to the fact that he used superficial power instead of throwing his "all" into it. but i would assume he is speaking through a traditional chinese medical standpoint.

using the qi from your lungs would be simply the power addition you get when you exult air from your lungs. release of air from the lungs induces harder working force.

or he could be talking from a qigung stand point, thus saying he used the energy from the air in his lungs to channel it through his meridians through to his strike.

edit:

would need your source for better input.