PDA

View Full Version : Another Post on Ego.

Merryprankster
05-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I was at a tournament this past weekend, and I was again treated to another display of ego's need to preserve itself.

I beat a fellow who didn't have to compete with me. He was in the weight class below me, and had nobody to compete against. I also had nobody to compete against. He was at the high end of his weight class, and I was in the middle of mine, so we weren't that far off - maybe 7 or 8 pounds - So the tournament staff asked if he wanted to have a match with me. He accepted, and I was quite grateful to him for it.

After the match, I went over to him to say thank you. He didn't have to do anything that day at all, but he stepped up anyway.

I said "Thank you very much for competing. I really appreciate it. You didn't have to do it, but you did, so I owe you one."

He said "Yeah...I wasn't sure if I wanted to really compete today...I just got my brown belt a couple of weeks ago."

I learned everything I needed to know about why I won that match in that single sentence.

"I just got my brown belt a couple of weeks ago" is an excuse. It is an excuse designed to preserve a person's perceptions of themselves. It is a way to soften the blow of laying what you have on the line, and getting beat anyway.

It ranks right up there with "I was better than him, but he was stronger/faster than me." Or "I would have beat him if I was in better shape."

It is a coping mechanism, because facing the hard truth is painful and unpleasant.

Incidentally, it is also disrespectful of your opponent. I don't personally believe he meant anything by it, but the implied statement is "Don't get too excited about what you just did. It wasn't that special."

People who use these excuses are unwilling to adopt the mindset of a champion. That mindset is simple: Train like it's the most important thing in your life, compete like you don't care if you win or lose.

That doesn't mean that you have to spend every waking moment training. It does mean that WHEN YOU TRAIN, you must train with intensity and focus, with a specific purpose in mind. And when you compete, you must be willing to take the risks necessary to win.

If you are ego driven, you will never train with a specific purpose in mind. You will focus only on beating your opponent, or "putting up a good fight," against a superior opponent. Note that I did not say partner - an ego driven person has no training partners - only opponents.

Conversely, you will never compete to your full potential, because subconciously, you are concerned with how you see yourself, and how others see you. An ego driven person will not take the risks they need to win. It's gratifying to hear people say "Wow, you really gave that guy a hard time - he's one hell of a competitor too! You should be proud!"

It is not gratifying to be another guy he submitted on his way to the finals. And at every juncture in a competition, every strategy, technique or tactic entails risk of failure and loss. Concern about that failure shuts you out; instead of going for it, you hesitate. You fight not to LOSE, rather than win. Ego can keep you in a match; conquering it puts you on the podium.

The excuse told me he was an ego preserver, at least for 8 minutes that day, and you just can't win like that.

It's a constant, uphill struggle to conquer that, and it takes continual practice, but I think it's worth it to try.

ninthdrunk
05-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I agree that a lot of peple do things like this to preserve their egos, but their might be a different scenario playing out here.

What if he was more proud of himself than you realized? There have been times when I knew I hadn't put in the time for a competition, but did it anyway. Why, not so I could look back and have an excuse, but to force myself to step up my training some. I have been in the same boat as this guy: just tested to a new rank right before a tournament, had none of the belt material I needed to compete, but went out there anyway and did one of my lower belt forms. I've always felt really good after the thing is over. Sure I don't feel like I did well, but I went out there anyway, knowing that I wasn't at the top of my game.

I won't deny that the likelihood of him winning that match, going into it with the mindset he had, was very slim. You're right that he psyched himself out before it even started. But he may have been so focused on the fact that he had forced himself to do something he was dreading, that winning wasn't his main goal. Perhaps his goal was simply to step up and compete at a level he was unsure of.

Maybe he just didn't want to show how pleased he really was with himself. I don't know, I wasn't there, but it's just something to keep in mind. All in all, nice sportsmanship on your part to thank the dude afterward, and great job for him to not only compete when he didn't feel ready, but to volunteer to compete at a higher weight class. I'm sure he learned a lot
about himself either way.

Edit: I really liked that saying about ego keeping you in the match, but conquering it puts you on the podium...nice...

yenhoi
05-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Isent this thread an ego preserving mechanism?

:p

rogue
05-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Very good insight Merry. Thanks.

FuXnDajenariht
05-13-2006, 01:46 PM
maybe your reading more into it than you should? maybe you think he should have kept his mouth shut to preserve your own thoughts about your victory? keeping it to himself was probably the honorable thing to do but it doesn't sound like he was sullying your victory purposefully.

Merryprankster
05-13-2006, 02:32 PM
but it doesn't sound like he was sullying your victory purposefully.

I explicitly stated that I didn't think he did. I don't think he meant anything by it at all. It provides insight into his mindset for those 8 minutes that day though. It's entirely possible that on another day, he might have the mindset of a champion.

Sure I don't feel like I did well, but I went out there anyway, knowing that I wasn't at the top of my game.

Yup - but look at your mindset. You're doing it with a completely different perspective. You've basically used the tournament as a training tool. You were excited to compete because you were stepping up - it was a way to learn about yourself and grow.

I don't think he was in that mindset at all that day. There was none of that feeling good about what he did body language or sound in his voice.

On the other hand, perhaps it is as you said! :P

Regardless, I think you are correct that he had psyched himself out already, simply by giving in to the "I'm a new brown belt," thought.

Hieronim
05-13-2006, 06:42 PM
I used to be overly nice when sparring, always apologising if I hit the other guy too hard or ebign the first to congratulate etc. but people take advantage of that and will try to kill you in the ring regardless, sometimes more so if your nice to them.

The Willow Sword
05-13-2006, 07:03 PM
:rolleyes:

Merryprankster
05-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I was wondering when you'd show up TWS.

Would you like to make this personal from the get go? It might take less time that way.

For the unfamiliar, TWS and I have differing opinions on competition.

My thoughts are that stepping up to compete against the best competition available is not ego driven. It is, rather borne of a desire to be the very best you can. Good opponents make you better. They identify flaws in your game. They challenge you in ways that the comforting environs of your own training hall cannot. Competition provides an opportunity to conquer yourself - to avoid the trap of ego.

His wrong opinion, which he is entitled to, is that competition is testosterone fueled posturing where neanderthals go to beat on each other so they can feel better about themselves.

I would agree that only fighting competition you can definitely beat is nothing more than ego stroking. But when you compete against the best people you can, you place your ego at risk. You may fail. Why would an ego driven neanderthal even do that to themselves? Much easier to abstain from anything resembling a challenge.

Put simply, I am right and if he is true to form, he will come on and blather something rather silly.

neilhytholt
05-13-2006, 07:40 PM
We all have egos. Get over it.

The Willow Sword
05-13-2006, 07:43 PM

Merryprankster
05-13-2006, 07:52 PM

No argument.

Without ego we would not have a sense of ourselves, nor would we aspire to master anything.

But taken too far, it can hinder our development. It renders us unwilling to take and accept risk.

Or, conversely, to undertake rash action.

Both, I would say, are detrimental.

tug
05-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Beware the Ego Extraordinaire!!!

neilhytholt
05-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Beware the Ego Extraordinaire!!!

Yeah, watch out for those French egos. ;)

Merryprankster
05-14-2006, 08:10 AM
LOL. I forgot about him/her/it.

Did that get banned?

neilhytholt
05-14-2006, 10:05 AM
LOL. I forgot about him/her/it.

Did that get banned?

Oh, was Tug referring to a particular person? I was just trying to make a joke on extraordinaire because its the French spelling.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Isent this thread an ego preserving mechanism?

hehe

mp already responded, but i dont think he was downing the guy or even saying he was above it. maybe just that he's been working on it enough that he can see the problems it causes for other people, and thought i might be interesting to discuss.

i actually had a very similar conversation with my buddy last night in the car. we spent the evening with a friend we hadn't seen in a while. hes the type of guy that takes "how you doing" as a challange and makes you second guess talking about any accomplishments for fear of sounding like him. my buddy asked if i could see how much work it takes to upkeep and ego like that and how miserable it must be. i definatley do. guys like that are always smiling, but only so other people can see them smile.

neilhytholt
05-14-2006, 12:21 PM
mp already responded, but i dont think he was downing the guy or even saying he was above it. maybe just that he's been working on it enough that he can see the problems it causes for other people, and thought i might be interesting to discuss.

Wasn't trying to put down MP. It was a double-entendre. :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-14-2006, 12:35 PM
i had to google double-entendre.

Merryprankster
05-14-2006, 01:36 PM
nealhytholt,

Yeah, I got the joke only later, LOL.

FuXnDajenariht
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
i think your both right. that isn't a contradiction though.

stricker
05-14-2006, 02:08 PM
hehehe this is pretty funny. i was at a sub wrestling tourney at the weekend one of my training partners got through 4 rounds to the final in the novice category. anyway theres a thread on another message board somewhere with the loser of one match *****ing about my mate "stalling". the thing was every match he got position. as soon as it went down he was sweeping, passing guard, etc etc always ended up getting side control but only knows one sub from there, fig 4. point was he didnt have amazing sub knowledge being a novice, but had much better positional skill and the other guy was moaning like a ***** even tho hes done other tournaments with a gi etc.

the first guy he beat was the hardest, and the guy got mount for about 5 seconds before getting reversed guard passed etc. that guy said "yeah if it had been mma it would have been different". too right, it was the other way round the whole rest of the time in the match, and the guys a thai boxer originally it would have been over even quicker :D

****in funny how much complaining excuses yeah this yeah that etc.

anyway good stuff on this thread.

neilhytholt
05-14-2006, 02:24 PM
This is like nothing, though, compared to dealing with Asians and saving face. Like they make some mistake at work and you try to correct them.

You do it publicly and they get totally mad. You have to like take them into the back room and talk about it, or if in public, you have to talk around the issue, etc.

Also martial arts teachers, they're all the best, even if they're not the best, you can't talk bad about the martial art, or even imply that somebody knows something they don't, or has something they don't, etc.

It gets very touchy. IMHO very tough to deal with for non-Asians.