PDA

View Full Version : Yang Taichi Training Method

k2square
04-12-2001, 09:19 AM
Hi!
I'm just starting Taichi. So, what are some excerises/training method that would benefit me?
Besides doing the form over and over again and practice the stepping excerise a lot?
Thanks

Internal Boxer
04-12-2001, 01:28 PM
Try Sledge hammer training, it is too difficult to describe by writing you should be shown, but it trains your tendons rather than muscles and if done correctly develops squeezing/closing the body on the execution of a fighting application. Obviously this method is aimed more for beginners to develop the correct body structure, although even advanced practioners will benefit, however it becomes less important as the internal abilites develop. Also I have found the use of living young trees useful to stick and snake the hands around the controrted bendy branches and forks. hitting the trunk with as much power as you like, it is a kind of natural wooden dummy. Sometimes the more arkward the tree the better. Although best not to do it in public view or you might get locked up. :D Also check out Erle Montaigue's web site for details on the mighty Bagwa Wooden Dummy!! He is selling videos of the unique bagwa wooden man form. Excellent for developing the martial atributes.

MaFuYee
04-12-2001, 04:13 PM
standing post (zhang zhuang - sp?)
start at 5-10 mins a day, build to 1 hr.
do 1 hr daily for 6 months. then build to 2, (6 mos) then 3 (1 year), then 4 (rest of life).

DoD #pending
Live to Flame
Flame to Live

Sam Wiley
04-12-2001, 04:20 PM
Hi! Glad to hear you're taking Taiji.

Standing qigong and Single Push Hands. Lotsa those. :)

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

Repulsive Monkey
04-21-2001, 12:30 PM
I know this late but I concur with Sam, Standing postures and Push-Hands are two very solid guides to do along with your forms.

Rory
06-17-2001, 11:33 PM
Silk realing is good so is cats walking its were you take big steps really slowly if you practice it it will help you balance later