PDA

View Full Version : Focus

Jeff Bussey
05-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Hey everyone,
I feel like crap.
My legs are in cement, my body is not connected, I'm not focused, my techniques aren't crisp, I'm slow, my balance is off, my forms have no intent, and chi sau ... well forget about it.

All in all, I think my training is going really well :D

BUT, I'm wondering what you guys do to get over hurdles. Do you just keep plugging away at that movement/technique/footwork until you get it or die trying. Or do you take a break from it, come back to it later.

Also, do you guys do anything special to clear your head? The one thing I've noticed is that when I'm focused on whatever, I can just make it happen, but when I'm thinking about work when I'm training or being up again late with my daughter cause she's sick, I can't pull anything off. No surprise there, but I'm wondering if any of you have any little tricks to 'quiet' your mind or to get focused on what your doing?

J

Kapten Klutz
05-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Hey everyone,

BUT, I'm wondering what you guys do to get over hurdles. Do you just keep plugging away at that movement/technique/footwork until you get it or die trying. Or do you take a break from it, come back to it later.

A combination of both, as well as visualizing it at other times (like lying in bed). One time I woke up in the middle of the night and had to try something I'd been having problems with. I did it for 15 minutes in the hall while making some go-back-to-sleep herb tea. Next time at training it flowed better.

The main thing I try to do is have the attitude that look, I know I'm not the best in the class. It's slow going, but I'm just going to keep at it and let it take the time it takes. Things do sink in. Daily practice is worth a lot.

Also, do you guys do anything special to clear your head?

If you've ever meditated regularly you'll probably know some personal tricks. One is just to get in the habit of clearing your mind whenever you have dead time, like sitting in the subway, waiting in line or whatever. The nice thing is that a clear mind is usually a happy mind, so standing in line at the grocery store you can just focus on your body. Experience your stance, your weight distribution, your posture. Bingo, you're relaxed and happy, or even joyful. Regular practice helps you be able to get it when you need it. However being tired or even in pain at practice isn't always conducive, that's part of the training I guess.

Another thing is doing siu lim tau slowly in a meditative way. That means calmly, and putting all your attention on the relevant movement. As soon as you notice any kind of other thoughts, you dismiss them and return to the SLT. Do this for like 45 minutes and your mind will probably rebell... it'll start screaming for some more engaging activity. Get past that stage and you will be calm in the now. Do this daily and in a few weeks or months you will have something valuable.

Just my 2€, I suck at wing chun so take it with a grain of salt.

Hendrik
05-17-2006, 07:38 AM
see, if some of the posts this thread help

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=321

kravi
05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
i feel where you're at man..

im fairly new to martial arts, im just under a year in the making... but i feel like the discipline and journey of something like wing chun comes in all shapes and sizes.

Some people are lazy and don't train... other people will put off training certain problematic areas, instead indulging in areas they're already proficient in.

however, i personally find that no matter how diligent and honest i am about my training, i can always find something to work on, and the time to work on it.

..which is fine and dandy, but even with this great formula to know exactly what to train - it IS still difficult to stay motivated to get up early, or stay after class... or devote time and energy to something.

To me, the tests of kung fu aren't just the physical ones (such as 'this technique just will never work for me'..)... im talking more about the motivation to stay on top, keep enjoying what you're doing and not give up in times of failure.

keep plugging away..be systematic and logical in your training approach... if you're not good at kicks.. figure out which kick gives you trouble, and do them slowly, many reps.. all the time..

when you're done..then you'll complain you're not fast enough at them... but hey, that's the road we're on!

cheers,

Ernie
05-17-2006, 08:23 AM
change is often needed , I never lose focus on a simple fact , it's all about me =)
meaning it's not about wing Chun . or technique or bills or a boss .
but about me and how I feel about myself
so I take care of me first

make sure I'm training in the gym and eating right and getting enough time to relax and laugh

never letting any one thing just get to much of a hold on you !

as for direct training issues

if wing Chun goes stale [ and it will , your nervous system needs a break when you plateau ]
I will work on my stick sparring or boxing , nothing serious just in a playful way , to remind myself of that this stuff is supposed to be fun !
and this has a trickle down effect on my body mechanics and timing and suddenly another break through and my over all training and skill improves

problem is people get to caught up on one road and to many little details so they create road blocks .

just let go and move around have fun suddenly you will start to gel again and then when you work you [ wing Chun training ] it will once again be a tool towards freedom not a technical trap

k gledhill
05-17-2006, 08:35 AM
hope your daughters better, try fishing ...works for me , if I need 'therapy' [and believe me I do! LOL ] I go striped bass fishing at night , works wonders :D ...
being in a fighting environment can be in itself a challenge...try to break it up with swimming ...cycling ...cardio ...whatever , just take your mind off the obsessive quest for whatever your questing ..;) get away and be one with your head, reflect but do not hold for a while ..."the shadows of the bamboo leaves sweep the steps but the dust is not stired kinda thing" ....on the other hand when things get tough I also walk up to a heavy bag and let rip for a while, get angry at the thing and UNLEASH that works too :D

Hendrik
05-17-2006, 08:45 AM
change is often needed , I never lose focus on a simple fact , it's all about me =)
meaning it's not about wing Chun . or technique or bills or a boss .
but about me and how I feel about myself
so I take care of me first

make sure I'm training in the gym and eating right and getting enough time to relax and laugh

never letting any one thing just get to much of a hold on you !

as for direct training issues

if wing Chun goes stale [ and it will , your nervous system needs a break when you plateau ]
I will work on my stick sparring or boxing , nothing serious just in a playful way , to remind myself of that this stuff is supposed to be fun !
and this has a trickle down effect on my body mechanics and timing and suddenly another break through and my over all training and skill improves

problem is people get to caught up on one road and to many little details so they create road blocks .

just let go and move around have fun suddenly you will start to gel again and then when you work you [ wing Chun training ] it will once again be a tool towards freedom not a technical trap

Good Approach and it works well too in general.

Unless one has already being trap habitually or creating one's road block /trap and either dont see it or dont know how to get out from it. That then needs to desolve away via different technics in the mental or emotional realm or even spiritual realm. But that is for specific issue disolving.

IE: thinking depress thoughts will cause depression. keep thinking depress thoughts or counter depress thoughts always bring back to depress. But, going out to have fun and have a balance life with laughter bring balance ....

valahian
05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
You should probably re-evaluate what you are learning and if what you are learning is any good or usable. There's a lot of bad teachers out there.

Jeff Bussey
05-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the input.
I tend to beat myself up a lot if I don't get something right in class to the point that I'll be thinking about that stuff well after I've left my training. I guess I just have to let it go for the moment.

The following may sound a little strange but I think it's given me a new look on things.
This morning I woke up went to the gym and got rid of my stress (sad because it was 6:30 AM and I had stress). Anyways, after going to the gym, I felt completely relaxed and while walking to work for the first time in a long time, I looked up at the trees on the path, just looking at the different types as I walked by them. My neck actually felt like it was out of place because I'm so used to looking down at the ground or at obstacles that I have to go around when I'm walking that looking up was almost foreign. So, I started to look at everyone walking to work, and almost all of them were looking towards the ground as they walked. Unless they passed somebody, they looked up, but for the most part it was eyes on the ground.
Then I started to look at the trees at the furthest point and again I got this strange feeling of enjoyment. It's really weird I know. Most times I only look maybe 20 or so feet in front of me, so to look about a 1/4 mile in front was a little strange. But kinda neat. Just something I never do.

So the reason why I'm saying all of this is that, when it comes to my training and I harp on my problem areas, I never actually let them go. Even though it may be a new class, I walk in there with a preconceived idea that I'm going to do ok in this area, not so good in that area, and just horrible in another. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy. So when I was looking up at the trees, I was actually enjoying my walk into work. I wasn't thinking of work, or looking at the path as this is my way to get to work, I just enjoyed the walk. That probably hasn't happened since I graduated and got my first job.

That little experience I had on the path that I walk on everyday has changed, I think, how I'm going to look at my training and everything else for that matter.

Thanks again,

:)

grashoper
05-18-2006, 11:32 AM
I know how you feel. I have been going through the same things (work, family, ect.). I have not been able to stick to going to class all the time but my daughter is also taking a childrens Wing Chun class and I make sure she is able to go to all of hers. I have found myself working on my forms every morning and even while she is in her class. I try to do some sort of workout everyday even if it is a light session of just the forms but always focusing on proper form. On the days I just dont feel up to it I take some time to meditate on my problem areas and visualize doing the techniques correctly so the next time I will do better. Another thing that seems to help is always looking for new reading about Wing Chun or another martial arts. Good luck and never give up!

;)

snakebyte8
05-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Get over it bro, the Senators will make the playoffs again next year! Hopefully my Leafs will be sweepin them in the first round, then you can repost your first message again! :D

Jeff Bussey
05-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Don't even get me started on the sens. I live close to the corel centre and put up with the traffic on game nights and we can't get past the 2nd round, ever :mad:
As for the leafs sweeping us, hmmmm, were the leafs in the playoffs this year....I'm trying to remember....hmmmmm....

Maybe they were too busy watching this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD20dZXY0Ko&search=ask%20a%20ninja

:p

Gotta love ninjas

J

sifu33
05-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Been there, bro. I used 2 tell my students, dont bother turning up if u cant giv me 100% of ur mind. if they worried about wok, how can u focus on ur training. It is important to b 100% committed and the visualisation mentioned in earlier posts is good work to. My tip 2 get bak my focus, is to watch a dvd or video of sum great master at work in their wing chun, and when i compare wiv me it usually gives me a big kick up the bum and im bak on trak

Jeff Bussey
05-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks again for the replies and ideas.
Last night's class was actually really good. I guess I just have to take things a little slower. Break it down more. Which I'm struggling with, because my personality is either on or off, I go full tilt or I don't go at all.

J

Matrix
05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Which I'm struggling with, because my personality is either on or off, I go full tilt or I don't go at all. Hey Jeff,
I think sifu33 put it in the right context. While you may not be able to train at 100% physically at all times, you should be metally focused on the matter at hand. You can actually learn a lot by slowing the physical pace down, but if your mind is somewhere else, all bets are off.

Jeff Bussey
05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey Bill,
Amen brother.
I starting to see that now.

J

bcbernam777
05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey everyone,
I feel like crap.
My legs are in cement, my body is not connected, I'm not focused, my techniques aren't crisp, I'm slow, my balance is off, my forms have no intent, and chi sau ... well forget about it.

All in all, I think my training is going really well :D

Also, do you guys do anything special to clear your head? The one thing I've noticed is that when I'm focused on whatever, I can just make it happen, but when I'm thinking about work when I'm training or being up again late with my daughter cause she's sick, I can't pull anything off. No surprise there, but I'm wondering if any of you have any little tricks to 'quiet' your mind or to get focused on what your doing?

J

Take a break from training for a week

MyDrills
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Jeff, u may try breathing exercise to relax ur mind before ur train

like small golden bell