PDA

View Full Version : A mantis gone walk about.

SunRooster
05-18-2006, 11:34 AM
So I have decided togo walk about and do some traveling. So I figured while I am in new enviroments, I would try some different styles of Kung Fu. The 1st class I came across I jumped in and started training. Its a Wing Tsun class, Ive been involved for almost 3 weeks and must confess I miss mantis a whole lot, I find it the greatest form of martial art.
So with most things in life, I am keeping a open mind and training the techniques given to me.Basically I was wondering how the rest of my fellow mantis community feels about training outside the mantis community?(Side note: I am not giving any secrets away) I am for all purposes just another new student. In this class they fight in such a different way than I am used to. Mostly I am seeing that each style has different looks and some different angles in which they engage one another.
I am wondering if it is healthy for my kung fu to train inside many other different styles. Basically so I can address these different angles and styles. Im not quite sure yet. :eek: What do you think? P.S Just a side note about the style of Wing Tsun. They seem to fight on a very linear direct point of attack. They seem to build things up then take them down. Very old school boxing if I do say so myself. OK everyone be nice no attacks please be respectful and honest in a good way. Thanks SunRooster the mantis gone walk about. :)

mantis108
05-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Well, if you are going for an art, as long as you are not going for some new age hocus pocus or modern Wushu BS, then it's all good IMHO.

Now, if you are going for fight oriented, well I would think that you would need a practical style that addresses stand up, clinch, and ground for hand to hand combat. Personally, I think mantis is second to non in Traditional Kung Fu in addressing these phases of combat. But then that just me.

If you are learning Leung Ting's Wing Tsun which is slightly different from the other Yip Man's Wing Chun branches (thus I have heard), then there might be the ground phase that you needed for modern day combative arts especially if you are taking WT from Leung's former student from Germany.

Anyway, good luck in your walk about...

Mantis108

shirkers1
05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
When I moved out to phoenix I was looking for a new school to replace my mantis. The closest thing I could find was a JKD/wing chun basement school, when I was working out with the guy a lot of my mantis would come out and they would be like wow how did you do that etc. In the end the guy wanted me to start implimenting my mantis into his class to help round out his stuff. I ended up telling myself well if I'm going to do that I might as well do what I've been doing for years and stopped training with those guys. Good workout, but I felt that what they had we did better so why take on their stuff and give them what I know to better their style. :)

mantid1
05-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Does your mantis teacher think it will help your training?

I would just go by what he says. If he thinks training in another school will help then that is great. If your instructor forced the choice upon you it is a good time to try new things.

There are a lot of good systems out there. Mantis is not the best or worse fighting system out there. I think you have all you need for the stand up type of fighting with the pong lai.

If you want to experience something else I would try some grappling. I think this is the weak point of most chinese styles.

SunRooster
05-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Mantid1
Does your mantis teacher think it will help your training?

I would just go by what he says. If he thinks training in another school will help then that is great. If your instructor forced the choice upon you it is a good time to try new things.

Please refrane from asking questions on a public forum about my teacher and myself. It is personal and to be quite honest is not something you need to know so why ask. Please do not take offense to this but last time I posted you did the same thing and I think its not to cool to ask such questions of others when its such a public forum.Thank you SunRooster out.

mantid1
05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Sorry I offeded you.

I will never refer antother student to thier instructor again.

Three Harmonies
05-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I smell TROLL!!!!

EarthDragon
05-19-2006, 06:57 AM
sunrooster,
although we all know that mantid1 can be a little bit of an arse sometimes.
I dont think he was out of line by what he said.

If you post a question on a public forum why would you say dont ask questions about your teacher of yourself?
respond with a thank you.... your the one who asked the qeustion. if you dont liek the answer dont ask.

If you are seeking other peoples opionons then take what they say and be done with it.

I think your response was out of line to be quite honest

mantid1
05-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Earth Dragon

You hurt my feelings:(

EarthDragon
05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
I am sorry mantid1, I did not mean to hurt your feelings.

But I was reffering to all the nasty rumors you spread about me and the reason I went to jail. Look up the threads like " where has earth dragon gone" archives.

Can you remember the bad things you said about me in 2002? I have moved on becuse they wernt true and you dont even know me or have never met me but you said some pretty unture things and I am a bigger man than that. But that was why I said you can be a arse sometimes.

Actually I was on your side and stated that you said nothing wrong. Sunrooster was out of line. But again my apologies and they are sincere.

mantid1
05-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Wait a minute.

You have me confused with someone else without a doubt.

How in the hell would I know you went to Jail?

I dont even know you.

The only thing I can remeber is telling you to stop worrying about the other eight step guys becasue it was bad for you health.

You even invited me to stop by your school the next time I stopped up by the big water.

Wow. I suggest you look up the thread like "where has the earth dragon gone" for yourself and you will realize I am not who you think I am.

I knew you agreed with me. I was joking. It will take a little more than that to hurt my feelings.

-N-
05-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Sorry I offeded you.

I will never refer antother student to thier instructor again.
Lol... Mantid1, you kill me... without using mantis even :D

EarthDragon
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM
mantid1,
my apologies if it were not you who said those things.

The name was almost the same perhaps mantid was the guy.

It was my kung fu brother Kevin Loftus's disrespecting student in South Dakota.

I do remember us taking about the "big water" please forgive me....

Oso
05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Mostly I am seeing that each style has different looks and some different angles in which they engage one another.

That's a good thing to learn.

I am wondering if it is healthy for my kung fu to train inside many other different styles. Basically so I can address these different angles and styles. Im not quite sure yet. :eek: What do you think?

Training outside your main style is basically a good thing. I usually don't recommend it for traditional martial arts students who have less than 3 years of training because of the extremely long learning curve in TCMA. You really don't get a good feel for the way a traditional style is 'supposed' to fight for a while.

And, the better a base you have in your primary system, the better you can judge another style.

on the courtesy thing...no matter if you are a TMA or ModernMA student, it is always courteous to let your instructor know if you plan on training elsewhere during an absence. At least the first time, if he let's you know that it's ok and there isn't a need to tell him then well enough. you've done your job in keeping communication open.

mantid1
05-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Nope that isnt me.

I have only been to South Dakota one time and that was when I was 10.

Can I still visit you on the way to the big water? It may not be for a while but I am sure I will make the trip again.

EarthDragon
05-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Mantis1
you are always welcome to stop by.