PDA

View Full Version : New 8-Step Sword Form Video

lapu_squared
05-18-2006, 01:02 PM
You can now see a rarely known traditional 8-Step weapons form on http://www.8-step.com. (Just look for New Video link at bottom of home page.) To my knowledge, this is the first time that a traditional 8-Step weapons form has been published on the web.

The form is performed by Mrs. Wu, an accomplished martial artist who is the only female student of GM Wei, as far as I'm aware. Mrs. Wu, the wife of Mr. Ernie Wu, is one of only a few people who learned an 8-Step weapons form. She is also quite accomplished in Taichi. In the 70's, she won a gold medal in the Taiwanese government's annual Collegiate Cup.

I'm very curious to get everyone's impressions after viewing the video, whether you're an 8-Step student or not, so please share any thoughts. Many thanks in advance.

mantid1
05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Its a nice set.

I like to see someone take thier time with a form and demostate each move.

mantis108
05-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi Lapu_squared,

Thank you for sharing the clip. It's pretty interesting to see some weapon set from 8 Step.

I thought Zhun Yang Jian (Pure Yang sword) is one of the Wudang Daoist sword form. The circle walking near the end does kind of reminiscent of Bagua counter part. I believe Wudang sword forms in general have about 21 keywords and I believe we see some of those in this clip. My mentor Galen told me that a good swords player should be able to do the same sword form in at least 4 ways - fast, slow (Taiji style), double handed and heavy sword. He has a Wudang sword form called the Bai Gong Jian (White Rainbow sword) that he would play with the 4 different dynamics. It's quite impressive as one form performed with 4 different flavor. I can see this Zhun Yang Jian in the same light. I also think that this could have a ling side to it as well. I guess Kevin can fill in because he has been working or 2 men sword drills.

BTW, there are some pretty interesting wrist techniques displayed by Madam Wu. This is a short but nice form indeed. I also like the fact that she took the time to show this form.

Just some thoughts to share.

Warm regards

Mantis108

RAF
05-19-2006, 04:20 AM
Reminds me of the taiji sword that I learned from Tony Yang. We have stationary two person drills, two person moving drills (jiao while walking in a circle and then executing various applications) and a Part B partner form.

I think the flavor and movements of this person is one of the best I have watched. Solid body movement, no disconnect.

Thanks for the clip.

EarthDragon
05-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Can you tell me how and why this is a 8 step sword form?

I see very little difference between this and the 42 long competition sword set. As performed by my tai ji shifu Yen Chu Feng.

lapu_squared
05-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the interesting feedback. As for the origins of this form, I really don't know where it came from originally. I only know that GM Wei taught it, so it is considered a part of the 8 Step system. It's entirely possible there is a common lineage between this form and Taichi forms. It's also possible that Bagua influenced the form--especially since one of 8 Step's founders was a master of Bagua, and Bagua is baked into 8 Step along with Tong Bei, Hsing Yi, and Mantis. As Mantis108 mentioned, the form has a circle-walking that is very reminiscent of Bagua.

Also, if you wanted more detail (and you speak Chinese) GM Wei's second book (purple cover showing GM Wei throwing a student) has references to this sword form in that book.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for all the interesting insights and comments.