PDA

View Full Version : Choy Fook's influence on Chan Heung

VStanmore
05-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Choy Fook was a monk at the southern shaolin temple, and his system of shaolin kung fu was very deep. I took this from an article of CLF history:"For the next ten years, Choy Fook taught Chan Heung kung fu with great discipline and precision. Each new technique took days to learn, and Chan Heung had to master each new movement with speed, accuracy, power and understanding before the next could be taught. Chan Heung found his kung fu improved remarkably, and was very different to what it had been. The knowledge passed down by Choy Fook, whether bare fist techniques, the staff or wooden dummy training aids etc., was endless and full of subtle changes, like nature itself. A combination of hard work, dedication, natural ability, and the karma of a good teacher, enabled Chan Heung to complete his training within the ten-year period. "

Maybe not many realise that the Choy Lee Fut system is not only very well documented in terms of actual content of the style through its numerous kuen Po's, but there is also much information on the origins of its content, if I'm not mistaken.
If I got it right, there should be in the chen family archives (of king Mui?) a manuscript titled something like "The source of learning of Chan Heung Kung" which I would guess describes the actual material Chan Heung learnt from his teachers. Having access to this knowledge will likely help us to better understand which part of CLF came from what.

For example, When Chan Heung learnt from Choy Fook, one of the early things he learnt was a set called the Fa Kuen, which later became a set known today under another name. Chan Heung also learnt from Choy Fook a 24/(32?) Horse set which later (evolved?) to become the Ng lun Ma (five wheel horse) from of today.
I guess there is much to dig for in terms of treasures,and wish more of this interesting information will be published for many to see how well documented the system really is.

Although the ng lun ma is a basic foundational form, do not underestimate its value. Actually, for the clf practitioner interested in pursuing high level kung fu, the form already very early on engages internal training through breath control. That is, of course if you do and understand it correctly. Same with jarp ma, if you do it right it can be already an internal building exercise.

Anyone with more knowledge on the source of learning of Chan Heung kung, please elaborate so many others can benefit and get an interesting read.