PDA

View Full Version : CMA haters club-100

SifuAbel
05-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Inspired by the fight thread.

I here by introduce the CMA haters list. Here you can nominate and list those that come here for the sole purpose of pooing on kung fu.

1. KnifeFighter
2. ShaolinTiger00

Lets see if we can get to 100.

dwid
05-20-2006, 06:49 PM
How about the embarrassments to CMA club?

Seriously, dude. I don't know you, so I can't say anything about your skill or intent or anything like that, but you come off like a 13 year old when you persistently go after people with threads like this and the race bannon thread. It just comes off as really insecure. Why be so wrapped up in these petty online disputes? Honestly, it hurts your credibility far more to react the way you do than any damage anyone could do by talking smack about you online.

SifuAbel
05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
On both counts you really don't know what your talking about.

dwid
05-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey, I'm just saying, you claim the title sifu. The title carries with it a certain dignity. You should hold yourself above these petty internet squabbles.

SifuAbel
05-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Sifu doesn't mean monk, budha, sage or much anything else.
Frankly, People need to be held accounable for what they say in person or on the internet. Especially in BS's case. ST will get his and so will Neal.

All this "its only the internet" mentality breads teenage style irresponsibility.

Water Dragon
05-20-2006, 07:37 PM
I really don't understand why this crap is still going on. I've used SC against Judo guys, Judo against SC guys, MMA in Kung Fu classes and Kung Fu in MMA classes. There's a lot of stuff out there, study what works for you.

Merryprankster
05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I really don't understand why this crap is still going on. I've used SC against Judo guys, Judo against SC guys, MMA in Kung Fu classes and Kung Fu in MMA classes. There's a lot of stuff out there, study what works for you.

Bull****. Everybody knows THAT just doesn't make ANY sense.

I mean, fighting isn't just ummm... fighting, is it?

:p

Water Dragon
05-20-2006, 07:50 PM
pretty much, except for that rolling around on the ground BJJ crap.

Merryprankster
05-20-2006, 07:51 PM
pretty much, except for that rolling around on the ground BJJ crap.

True.

I heard that's the gayest sport there is.

Water Dragon
05-20-2006, 07:52 PM
I heard John Malkovich does BJJ. Used to train under Lloyd Irving from what they say.

Merryprankster
05-20-2006, 07:54 PM
I heard John Malkovich does BJJ. Used to train under Lloyd Irving from what they say.

No can defense against John Malkovich. I hear he's in a superfight soon.

Water Dragon
05-20-2006, 07:56 PM
lol! How ya been, Bro?

The Willow Sword
05-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Sifu doesn't mean monk, budha, sage or much anything else.

Actually if you know any thing about chinese culture, The word "Sifu" means Teacher, Mentor, and in some cases depending, means "father". It is a very affectionate title to bestow upon a person for a number of reasons. Parents entrust their children to be mentored and taught by the sifu. The sifu becomes a part of the family, there is a sense of community and honor and obligation that goes with this title.
I was once called "sifu" and i recanted it because i wasnt deserving or ready to have that title bestowed upon me, ESPECIALLY where i was training and teaching at.

The Term gets handed out and thrown around like candy in this country with no REAL emphasis on ANY of the principles or any real knowledge or, quite actually,a real caring about its meaning(just like Master or grandmaster). People assign themselves this title out of some ego that they have "earned" it. when all it is really is just a superficial title. Its typical of the bullsh!t mentality that this country loves to create for itself with respect to martial arts and kung fu.

this thread is a prime example, along with the other thread mentioned. its about as USELESS as the t!ts on a boar hog.

As Always,,TWS

Merryprankster
05-20-2006, 08:11 PM
WD,

I'm ok. I moved to San Francisco (east bay), and I just got promoted to brown belt. I'm fat, dumb and happy. Occasionally, I compete, and I'm enjoying the food and wine out here. Still looking for a decent middle eastern place, and have to admit I'm having trouble.

The Hummus out here just sucks donkey balls.

On the other hand, the Indian food is tops. In fact, I will be getting off the computer in the next few minutes to go partake of a great place in Berkeley. Wife is getting hungry.

How are you doing?

Water Dragon
05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm surviving. I've been going through some Old Testament Job style sh*t for the past two years. I've been like, "Hey God, wtf? What'd I do?" I'm hoping things are about to take a turn for the better, I'm about due.

Other than that, can't complain. San Antonio has been good to me so far.

Merryprankster
05-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I hope things start looking up for you WD.

If I'm ever out SA way, I'll shoot you a line.

Gotta bail!

Have a good night.

James

Water Dragon
05-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I hope so too. I'll tell you though, I've gained a lot of good character traits because of all this. I see Life pretty differently now.

That would be nice if you coulod make it down. SA is a neat little city, very unique. Not too much in the way of training, but there are things here and there. I found a nice little Judo club I was going to for a while. I'm planning on going back soon.

SifuAbel
05-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I didn't assign anything to my self. I'm sure attila the hun was good to HIS children. Not to anyone else's. It may mean father. But it doesn't turn one into friggin' santa claus. I am pretty good to my "children". You aren't my "child". We aren't talking about children here anyway. Most anyone else can ROT for all I care. The enemy is the enemy.

SifuAbel
05-20-2006, 08:57 PM

I here by introduce the CMA haters list. Here you can nominate and list those that come here for the sole purpose of pooing on kung fu.

1. KnifeFighter
2. ShaolinTiger00

Now back to topic.

I'll add.

3. unkokusai

unkokusai
05-20-2006, 09:24 PM

1. KnifeFighter
2. ShaolinTiger00

You don't want to introduce a list, you want to make one happen so you can then play your little drama with it. Well, you're outta luck. The only list you're gonna end up making is the "Sifufatboy is an azzhole" club. There will easily be more than 100 in that list, which is just what you want (need?).

Pork Chop
05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
WD

Sorry to hear things ain't goin so well. I still have friends down in SA and may go visit sometime. Sounds like the training situation hasn't improved all that much since I was there. Lemme know if you're ever in DFW. Hope things get better for yah.

MP

Fort Worth has a niiiiiiice Lebanese place like 3 miles from my house and I got to see Bang Ludwig & Travis Lutter on the same card within a month and a half of moving out here.... so ummm nyah nyah. :p What's the training like in San Fran? Different vibe than Lloyd's? Good luck with your competitions! BTW- had no idea you were anywhere NEAR your 40s.

SifuAbel
05-20-2006, 10:14 PM
4. Phrost from BS. (he comes here often enough)

who else? Come on, don't be shy.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-20-2006, 10:54 PM
wd ....

it gets better dude.

CaptinPickAxe
05-21-2006, 02:08 AM
5. SifuAbel: His douchy-ness

Merryprankster
05-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Pork Chop,

I'm not anywhere near my forties. I mean, I am if 30 is near 40, but I think ten years is pretty good as gaps go.

I'm just projecting into the future :D

San Fran has a different vibe from Lloyd's yes, but you'll understand if I refrain from telling you my likes and dislikes about each over the interweb, heh.

Oh, and screw you on the Lebanese place. Bah.

Fu-Pow
05-21-2006, 10:45 AM
6. Sevenstar.....

SPJ
05-21-2006, 11:06 AM
the irony is that--

1. you have to love something so much that you hate to lose it.

2. you may not hate something that you dunno.

or you love your arts so much and you hate all the other arts?

:D

rogue
05-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Catching up on how everyone is doing is a great use for this thread.

MP, Glad to hear you're happy out in Cali. How was it finding housing?

WD, I hope things start to get better for you. I'll toss a special mention for you into my prayers.

Water Dragon
05-21-2006, 12:44 PM
WD, I hope things start to get better for you. I'll toss a special mention for you into my prayers.
I think that's how I got into this mess, lol. Never, ever, ever-ever-ever pray for strength, patience, or wisdom. You'll get it! lol

Anthony
05-21-2006, 01:35 PM
"The Term gets handed out and thrown around like candy in this country with no REAL emphasis on ANY of the principles or any real knowledge or, quite actually,a real caring about its meaning(just like Master or grandmaster). People assign themselves this title out of some ego that they have "earned" it. when all it is really is just a superficial title. Its typical of the bullsh!t mentality that this country loves to create for itself with respect to martial arts and kung fu."

It's all "this country's" fault! Willow.....come down off of your "all-knowing" high horse because you've proven that you yourself don't know anything about Chinese culture or it's MA history. If you did you'd know that TCMA was full of con-artists before it ever came to America. So stop blaming "this country" for corrupting what was already corrupt before it ever got here.

I suggest that you do some research into the cons that sifu's in China perpetrated in order to get students to follow them. You'll find that they themselves didn't care too much for the real meaning of "sifu" (as you state it) either. You need to give up your "fairy tale" notion of the TCMA past.

SPJ
05-21-2006, 02:45 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/123241/jet_li_fearless_clip_4/

any fight is between 2 people. sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

maybe outskill or outmaneveur or just pure chance.

there is always a chance for rematch.

the alleged poison in the tea is not necessary.

winning over a poisoned opponent, it there any value or honor?

is it not true that any fight has to be as fair as you can to have some values?

it is just a made up script for the latest movie.

--

so the question is always that winning in a match or lei tai the means or the end?

in old time, people would say we exchange hands and learn from each other or ask for some teachings or lessons Tao Jiao Tao Jiao?

the other person would say please give some lessons or Do Do Zhi Jiao.

--

TonyM.
05-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Wrestling with the Man eh WD. Was it plastic boobs or the DaVinci code that shook you up?:D

jethro
05-21-2006, 04:19 PM
posting is the only way I know how to give the all imprortant "rating". :D

SPJ
05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
On sifu;

only the students may address the teacher sifu. if you are not the students, you are not allowed to call the teacher sifu. or sifu si ni jiao de ma?

nowadays, teacher or Lao Shi is used to address in both China and Taiwan.

if you are the 9th gen or 19th gen passing person of a style, it is called Chuan Ren.

Da Shi or grandmaster is reserved for other artists such as piano, writing, or monks etc.

lkfmdc
05-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Once you achieve the rank of sifu you are an all powerful, all knowing and perfect person who is the epitomy of goodness and saint like

Sifu don't curse, don't drink, don't gamble, don't smoke, never cheat on their wives and never are prone to anger

Sifu tears can cure cancer. Sifu touch can give the blind vision again. Sifu words can calm wild beats

I swear it is all 100% true, since I've known literally hundreds of sifu over the years

Oh, and my name is Joe Isuzu

rogue
05-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I think that's how I got into this mess, lol. Never, ever, ever-ever-ever pray for strength, patience, or wisdom. You'll get it! lol

Forgot about Job, didn't ya? ;)

The Willow Sword
05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
[B]It's all "this country's" fault! Willow.....come down off of your "all-knowing" high horse because you've proven that you yourself don't know anything about Chinese culture or it's MA history. If you did you'd know that TCMA was full of con-artists before it ever came to America. So stop blaming "this country" for corrupting what was already corrupt before it ever got here.B]

Every Culture and country has its "con-artists". what was your point exactly? oh yes, you wanted me to get off of my all knowing high horse and stop living in some fantasy of TCMA past. Did i offend your precious mile wide inch deep culture, anthony? well i apologize. i mean sooner or later when you try to dive in to that inch deep mindset you just spouted to me you will wind up cracking your head open. I will try to be more accomodating to you and make comments that are more on your level:rolleyes:

Who is this guy anyway?

As always,,TWS

David Jamieson
05-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Once you achieve the rank of sifu you are an all powerful, all knowing and perfect person who is the epitomy of goodness and saint like

Sifu don't curse, don't drink, don't gamble, don't smoke, never cheat on their wives and never are prone to anger

Sifu tears can cure cancer. Sifu touch can give the blind vision again. Sifu words can calm wild beats

I swear it is all 100% true, since I've known literally hundreds of sifu over the years

Oh, and my name is Joe Isuzu

This reads like an american express commercial :D

One things for sure, preconceptions are endless in the world of martial arts no matter what your poison.

SPJ
05-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Dao/tao or do is another word has been used differently in different cultures.

Dao Chang, Do Jo, Do Jang. In Chinese, it means a place of religious or philosophical practices.

And not a place to practice fighting.

Do is used to mean the way or the practice of something usually including philosophy.

The tao/dao of a fisherman, painter, carpenter, soldier etc. there are ethical aspects.

so nowadays, aikido, tai kwan do, karate do, judo etc are there teachings or lessons of ethics and philosophical aspects?

Sifu: teacher and father, you do not call every guy on the street your father. Sifu is reserved for the students of sifu. we may call him Lao Shi a teacher and not father, if we are not his students.

Sifu; master of something, carpenter, plumbing, engineer etc, are all sifu's. Sifu fix my chair, thanks. Sifu fix my cars, thanks, Sifu fix my drains etc etc.

--

Anthony
05-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Willow....my point was only too obvious....sorry you had trouble grasping it. It was that what you say about "this country" is true for other countries as well. If that's what an inch deep mindset is to you then so be it.

"Did i offend your precious mile wide inch deep culture, anthony? "

Again...proof of your ignorance. I have an idea....try travelling. You'll see that other cultures aren't so deep either. Again...that was my point if you missed it once agian.

Look....you don't have a high oponion of Americna culture...I don't give a crap. I'm not going to argue with someone who seems to have little knowledge and life experience but who tries to come off as being wise.

You sounded like an idiot to me on the "gospel of Judas" thread and you sound like one here too. Don't speak until you grow up little boy.

BruceSteveRoy
05-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Actually if you know any thing about chinese culture, The word "Sifu" means Teacher, Mentor, and in some cases depending, means "father". It is a very affectionate title...
the term shifu (sifu) is actually a lot broader than a lot of people make it to be. when i was studying chinese we were taught that shifu is just a term of respect for a person in professional setting. For instance you would call a cab driver shifu (sifu) if you were his/her patron. exceptions are of course teacher which is laoshi and if you are talking about a chef/cook because for some reason you would refer to him/her as laoban which means boss (i still don't understand that one). just thought i'd throw that out there.

brothernumber9
05-22-2006, 09:38 AM
different characters for same sounding words. Different characters, different meanings. kinda like "witch" and "which".

SevenStar
05-22-2006, 09:44 AM
6. Sevenstar.....

I'm a BS hater, not a CMA hater. Heck, the only guys I've met in person on this forum are CMA guys.

Anyway, WD, it's been a while bro. I'll give ya a call soon.

The Willow Sword
05-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow Anthony you must've had some repressed rage with in you about my comments on the gospel of judas thread and you decided to display them here.

So i have offended your sense of patriotism and i have also offended your religion. Well Good, Glad i was able to strengthen your own resolve and make you feel so much better about yourself as a person Anthony. Whatever you think i am or want me to be, anthony, i am.

Praise Jesus and pass the Ammunition,,TWS.:)

Anthony
05-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Willow, you give yourself too much credit. You never offended me. I just felt the things you said were kind of...um...dumb.

Your blanket comments about religion were simplistic and immature (almost out of place in an adult discussion).

Once again the same immaturity surfaces here with your "this culture" comments, in which you are simply wrong (no offense taken). It's not just "this culture." In that you are showing your ignorance of other countries and cultures. That's just fact. It has nothing to do with being offended.

So much for losing your self importance.

The Willow Sword
05-22-2006, 07:12 PM
LOL:D i love it when i p!ss off neocon-xtians. Anthony dont get your @ss all in a knot. We all have our opinions and comments. You percieve what you want to percieve just as i do. its all a matter of perspective. i happen to think that your perspective is a mile wide and an inch deep and you think mine is....."dumb".

so be it. now its time to get on with your life. you feel better now getting out that anger you had when we debated on the other thread? i mean really?

You made a comment based on my "Quote" at the bottom of my posts.

Its tough to lose the "self importance" when so many wish to hand it right back to you and give you attention, critisism etc etc. We all fall victim to it really.
im just one person Anthony, am i that important to you that you would wish to type out your own brand of BS to me? You will most likely say "no" and " you give yourself too much credit" blah blah blah.

i guess ultimately you learn in life that everyone has a point of view and not everyone is going to agree on it. I am passionate about mine just as you are yours. The difference between me and you is that i am not a prisoner of it. points of view change. You will stick to yours until the heart monitor goes flatline and you will feel good, and justified and riteous, you will feel complete in your life and the people around you will love you for who you are.
IN retrospect i think you should worry more about what the people who care about you feel and think, rather than wasting your time on someone who could care less.
Peace be with you,,,,TWS

Anthony
05-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Again, I think you make too many assumptions about how ticked off I am. I'm not. You just need to realise that this is an open forum. If you make a comment that someone disagrees with, they will respond whether they know you or not. And we don't know each other. Eventually you get sucked into a long debate and begin to wonder "why the hell am I wasting my time like this."

Merryprankster
05-23-2006, 01:32 PM
IN retrospect i think you should worry more about what the people who care about you feel and think, rather than wasting your time on someone who could care less.

You care enough to respond, schmucko.

rogue
05-23-2006, 07:17 PM
LOL i love it when i p!ss off neocon-xtians. Anthony dont get your @ss all in a knot. We all have our opinions and comments. You percieve what you want to percieve just as i do. its all a matter of perspective. i happen to think that your perspective is a mile wide and an inch deep and you think mine is....."dumb".

And he'd be correct you Tree Hugger you. :p :D

Green Cloud
05-24-2006, 07:23 AM
the term shifu (sifu) is actually a lot broader than a lot of people make it to be. when i was studying chinese we were taught that shifu is just a term of respect for a person in professional setting. For instance you would call a cab driver shifu (sifu) if you were his/her patron. exceptions are of course teacher which is laoshi and if you are talking about a chef/cook because for some reason you would refer to him/her as laoban which means boss (i still don't understand that one). just thought i'd throw that out there.

The genaral term for the non kung fu laymen is Sin San, this is a apropriate term for a school teacher or taxi driver or waiter. In fact that may be where the Japanese term sensei came from.

Mr Punch
05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Really? What are the characters?

'Sensei' are 先 (saki/sen - before/ahead) 生 (sei, umu - life, birth, student): so 'one who came before in life' or 'ahead of/before the students' I guess. Is that the same in sin san?

Green Cloud
05-24-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm not really sure mat, It was something I read a while ago.

Green Cloud
05-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Sin San simply means sir.

The Willow Sword
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
And he'd be correct you Tree Hugger you. :p :D

yup.:D

As Always,,TWS

rogue
05-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I'd say you're going a little further than hugging that there tree, you've gone full blown BJJ on it. :D

Now some guy with a Badboy patch on his kimono will call me a BJJ hater. ;)

omarthefish
05-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Actually if you know any thing about chinese culture, The word "Sifu" means Teacher, Mentor, and in some cases depending, means "father". It is a very affectionate title to bestow upon a person for a number of reasons. Parents entrust their children to be mentored and taught by the sifu. The sifu becomes a part of the family, there is a sense of community and honor and obligation that goes with this title.

Total BS with a sprinkling of pointless asian mystification and hero worship.

I was once called "sifu" and i recanted it because i wasnt deserving or ready to have that title bestowed upon me, ESPECIALLY where i was training and teaching at.

"bestowed" upon you?

The Term gets handed out and thrown around like candy in this country with no REAL emphasis on ANY of the principles or any real knowledge or, quite actually,a real caring about its meaning(just like Master or grandmaster).

Guess what Einstein. Gets thrown around like candy in China too. Got students? You're a Sifu. Simple as that. Your logic about the etymology of the word, if applied to English, would mean that philosophers are actually followers in the ancient cult of Athena.

Get over yourself.

edit: removed the personal insults

Water Dragon
05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
ouch

Why you so mean, Omar?

omarthefish
05-25-2006, 05:30 PM
different characters for same sounding words. Different characters, different meanings. kinda like "witch" and "which".

Kinda but not.

Same characters in the cases mentioned. The "sifu" used to address a cab driver is the same one used to address your MA teacher. The only different characters are the one's more commonly used in the south "师父“ and the variety more common up north "师傅". The first one has a bit more of a connotation of a spiritual teacher or an old monk or something but that's just a connotation not a denotation. My own teacher is very traditional, maintains a quan pu, had me do the whole "bai shi" thing and when we travel he treats me like his grandkid.....you know, like a 10 year old. :p But he still uses the more complcated character "傅".

I've met plenty of 30 year old "shifu's" who were nothing special and after coaching some guys in a gym they started calling me Shifu which I refused not because "I am not worthy...." :rolleyes: but because I'm not supposed to be teaching anybody and if my own Shifu happened to hear anyone refer to ME as Shifu he'd have myu ass in a sling......for teaching. So I just "work out with my friends" or "coach". I don't teach.

On topic, yeah, Seven* really doesn't deserve to be on the list. He's way too reasonable and I have never seen him actually directly say anything nasty about CMA. Just training Muay Thai doesn't mean you don't like Hung Gar or whatever. He's always on about training methods and generally leaves styles out of it. That's why although I don't tend to agree with him I respect his views.

omarthefish
05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
ouch

Why you so mean, Omar?

Yeah, sorry about that. Went a bit overboard.

Just hit a pet peeve of mine. Nothing will ever blast any illusions of grandeur you have about a culture like living in it. I have perhaps...a bit of suppressed anger about a lot of annoying little things here. I keep wanting to start a thread somewhere just to share things that drive you up the wall about whatever foreign country you live in.

Water Dragon
05-25-2006, 05:39 PM
You sound like you need to get laid, Bro. Isn't there something like 500,000,000 pieces of pu$$y in China?

omarthefish
05-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Get laid? Sure. Who doesn't. That's not what I really need though. What I need is a trip home. Coming up in a couple of months. I need:

- to walk into a club with my girlfriend and not overhear the door guys talking about the size of my imported salami.

- to take money out at the bank without a crowd of people pushing in from behind to try and see how much money I have.

- to buy a bag of chips at the corner store without having to feel like I am part of a a pick and go on a backetball team because if I stand more than 6 inches behind the person in front of me someone else will dash in front and slap cash on the counter and the cashier will help THEM first.

- to find an actual professional electrician to fix the wiring in my apartment. No such thing in Xi'an. Just peasant workers who tell me it's my new refrigerator and not the piece of trash copper wiring that is sparking whenever I plug anything in or the wall sockets that I have to hold in place with one hand while I unplug stuff with the other.

- to stop being asked if I wen home (to America) because the guy at the corner store hadn't seen me for all of 4 days. (that's right I got in my private jet and flew back to the states to say hello to my mom because we had a 3 day weekend)

and more and more..

Laid? HAH! It's harder to find deodorant around here than it is to get laid. Trust me...getting laid is NOT a problem for a white American living in the PRC. :D

jethro
05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
yeah, I can see why viviana would have to come on and ask if there are any women on this forum.

Water Dragon
05-25-2006, 06:14 PM
you're not in China, Bro. You're just living in the Hood.

omarthefish
05-25-2006, 06:31 PM
holy crap that made me laugh.

Makes me think also of one of my favorite musings last year, namely, the odd connection there seems to be between old school gong fu movies and hip hop. Some kind if vague parallel between the battles between schools and gang wars or something. Wu-Tang clan isn't the only one making references.

jethro
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I think you are talking to me. that is my signature. Not as long as some, but beter than most. Here's a couple that didn't make the list but deserved consideration. "buddha does allow us to study kung fu to beat evil", the master-"tiger, why, why did you betray me" tiger-"because, I betrayed you, I am leaving. "

FatherDog
05-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I have no problem with CMA or CMAists, as long as they agree that

A) You need to spar, regularly, with hard contact, to improve at fighting skill.

B) If you don't train to defend takedowns and throws with people who are good at takedowns and throws, and train grappling with people who are good at grappling, you are in deep **** if someone tackles you.

Anyone that agrees with those two maxims, and trains hard, is my martial brother.

Green Cloud
05-25-2006, 08:53 PM
This is elementary my dear whatson of course we need to train like that. People that actualy do real CMA are aware of that. Do you think that Bruce was the first CMArtist to have this epiphany.

Every MA system has gaps that inherent in its style. People train in given styles because it suits their personalities. To think that your style is the best is foolish, the problem I have is with the few people on this forum that are just plain out CMArts haters. What's that about Father Dog???:confused:

unkokusai
05-25-2006, 10:43 PM
- to find an actual professional electrician to fix the wiring in my apartment. No such thing in Xi'an. Just peasant workers who tell me it's my new refrigerator and not the piece of trash copper wiring that is sparking whenever I plug anything in or the wall sockets that I have to hold in place with one hand while I unplug stuff with the other.

LOL

Now, that brought back some painful memories!

SimonM
05-25-2006, 10:51 PM
- to take money out at the bank without a crowd of people pushing in from behind to try and see how much money I have.

Ah yes, Chinese curiosity strikes again.

- to buy a bag of chips at the corner store without having to feel like I am part of a a pick and go on a backetball team because if I stand more than 6 inches behind the person in front of me someone else will dash in front and slap cash on the counter and the cashier will help THEM first.

It's suprising how rarely that happens to me.

Let me tell you the story of my "washing machine"...

Water pours in.
Water pours out.
It doesn't actually agitate that water at all.
So if I pour soap into the wash I just end up with wet, dirty clothes with big blotches of laundry soap on them.
I explain to my FAO that my washing machine doesn't work. I explain why it doesn't work. He says to me that this hardly seems broken at all.

I get embarassed when my girlfriend hand-washes my clothes and I don't know how to hand wash clothes so I really want my washing machine fixed.

- to stop being asked if I wen home (to America) because the guy at the corner store hadn't seen me for all of 4 days. (that's right I got in my private jet and flew back to the states to say hello to my mom because we had a 3 day weekend)

You think that's bad. You should have heard the rumours that started flying when I went to Longquan. BTW: Check out my articles on Longquan on the EZine and the July/August issue of KFM.

and more and more..

Laid? HAH! It's harder to find deodorant around here than it is to get laid. Trust me...getting laid is NOT a problem for a white American living in the PRC. :D

My wish list:

Cheese that isn't mozzarella.
Deoderant. (I can get this in Taiyuan).
Fresh Beef.
English Books. I mean they have every DVD ever made in this town (I already own MI3 on DVD and wish I didn't) and I can't find a single English book!

SPJ
05-26-2006, 07:52 AM
the problem I have is with the few people on this forum that are just plain out CMArts haters.

So my bro like chocolate yogurt. I like vanilla yogurt.

But yogurt is yogurt.

So you like KMA, JMA, or CMA?

But MA is MA?

BruceSteveRoy
05-26-2006, 08:16 AM
omarthefish, i spent 2 months in china and i have to say the only place in my travels i came to where people didn't act like that (at least not as much) was kunming. it is so hard to learn to deal with.
it comes down to my deeply held personal conviction that one of the only things worth fighting for is the sanctity of the line. i hate people that cut in line or feel like they shouldn't have to wait when every person that got there before them stood and waited. however china uses mobs and not lines. very hard to get used to. i noticed that the hockey body check tends to work in these situations. (and if they don't like it you can pull their shirt up over their head and start uppercutting).

have you been called waiguizi yet?

Anthony
05-26-2006, 10:29 AM
"Actually if you know any thing about chinese culture, The word "Sifu" means Teacher, Mentor, and in some cases depending, means "father". It is a very affectionate title to bestow upon a person for a number of reasons. Parents entrust their children to be mentored and taught by the sifu. The sifu becomes a part of the family, there is a sense of community and honor and obligation that goes with this title. "

"Total BS with a sprinkling of pointless asian mystification and hero worship."- omar

Been reading some of the posts and It would appear some here agree with what I was saying. So I guess, Willow, it's not as you put it "my own brand of BS."

"The difference between me and you is that i am not a prisoner of it (my opinion). points of view change. You will stick to yours until the heart monitor goes flatline and you will feel good, and justified and riteous, you will feel complete in your life and the people around you will love you for who you are.

Wow...you know alot about me! .....And what will you do? Will you admit you might have been (actually you are ) wrong or will you "stick to your opinion."

Really, before you tell me that what I'm saying is my own BS, at least verify your opinion.

Willow, my only problem is when people whine about what's bad (whether it's politics or religion or whatever). Not just you, but in general, it's pointless if your not doing anything or trying to do anything better. You may be like that, you may not, but that's what you came off as.

SimonM
05-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Guess what Einstein. Gets thrown around like candy in China too. Got students? You're a Sifu. Simple as that. Your logic about the etymology of the word, if applied to English, would mean that philosophers are actually followers in the ancient cult of Athena. [/i]

I call taxi drivers Sifu.

The Willow Sword
06-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Willow, my only problem is when people whine about what's bad (whether it's politics or religion or whatever). Not just you, but in general, it's pointless if your not doing anything or trying to do anything better. You may be like that, you may not, but that's what you came off as.

So what are you doing for the world , Anthony?

As Always, TWS

Anthony
06-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't know if any answer that I give you would be satisfactory. Put it this way, I'm an average person (house, wife, car, job, yadda, yadda).

I think that the average person has a more important role in this world than the "Oprah Winfrey's" or the "Donald Trumps."

First off, we outnumber everyone. If we were to act more considerate toward each other that by itself would go a long way in making the world better (whether youre acting that way because youre religious or because you just believe it's right). That's the best answer I can give you as to how one person can change the world or make it better (through your own actions). It's the only way that's in my power personally. And it is powerful because you do influence others. I mean, I'm sure you've been polite to a rude person, isn't it funny how they change their tune immediately and start acting appologetic.....sometimes.

To use religion as an example: You could point to some priest molesting a boy and say "religion is bad" or you could point to some average Catholic (or yourself if youre trying to do the right thing) who doesn't rudely talk through an entire movie, pays his taxes, has an honest job, doesn't raise his kids to be criminals, is cool to have a few drinks at the bar with, goes to church (if that's your cup of tea), say's thank you, gives to charity, and simply values and respects life (his own and others). I believe that these "little things" go a long way even though it's not exactly giving millions to charity.

I don't know what's behind your question but believe me, I'm not under the illusion that I'm personally changing the world to any extent other than what I described above. But still, it shouldn't be undervalued. I guess my attitude is "be the example."

The Willow Sword
06-03-2006, 02:23 PM
So in otherwords, you arent doing a d@mn thing. You whine about the Whining, just like the rest us who either whine about things or whine about others whining about things.

Get over YOURSELF anthony.

As always, TWS

Anthony
06-03-2006, 05:52 PM
"So in otherwords, you arent doing a d@mn thing. "

Depends on your system of values and what you believe constitutes "doing something."

I don't want to get into this with you.

FatherDog
06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
What are you doing for the world, TWS?

SevenStar
06-05-2006, 11:10 AM
This is elementary my dear whatson of course we need to train like that. People that actualy do real CMA are aware of that. Do you think that Bruce was the first CMArtist to have this epiphany.

Every MA system has gaps that inherent in its style. People train in given styles because it suits their personalities. To think that your style is the best is foolish, the problem I have is with the few people on this forum that are just plain out CMArts haters. What's that about Father Dog???:confused:

that's really not true. I challenge you or anyone else to find a stement anywhere on this forum where we have said we hate cma. Heck, I like cma. it's all the BS that tends to go with it that I hate.

lkfmdc
06-05-2006, 02:00 PM
I like cma. it's all the BS that tends to go with it that I hate.

took da words right outta my mouth ;)

David Jamieson
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
true. I challenge you or anyone else. we have said we hate cma. cma I hate.

there you go! with a couple of simple redactions, you are now a cma hater.

you too ross.

haters!

:p