PDA

View Full Version : Li TaiLiang Xinyi Seminar in Bay Area

stephenchan
04-15-2001, 10:11 AM
Li TaiLiang will be coming out to the Bay Area to give a seminar on Xinyi 2 man training. Some of you folks here may have heard of him - I think that Black Taoist has some experience with him.

The seminar will last from roughly 9:00am to 6:00pm, on April 28 & 29, and will be held in Cupertino, CA.

The planned material will revolve around 2 man training drills, ranging from formal pattern drills most likely up to some light contact free sparring. These will be based on traditional Xingyi 2-man drills, and from previous experience, will probably revolve around striking your opponent, and not so much wrestling or pushing them.

LTL is also very familiar with the modern San Da training methods as well, and he is generally very forthcoming in describing the differences between the traditional neijia approaches to engaging the opponent, versus the modern kickboxing approach. If you are curious about the topic, please make an effort to attend.

You should expect this to be an athletic workout, so wear comfortable athletic clothes. Wear some kind of reasonable atheltic shoes. Bring water, and lots of enthusiasm. Prior Xingyi experience is not really necessary, however if you practice Xinyi, you should expect that the body methods (shen fa) and stepping methods (bu fa) you practice for things like squatting monkey and the 5 elements will come in handy for these drills - in other words, work on those basics! The sparring is usually well controlled, and the only thing that gets hurt is likely to be your pride :-)

Expect the material to be practical, but there will probably be more than you can digest. Bear in mind that what he shows you is material for you to think about and practice for the next 6 months or so.

The cost will be $180 if you pay at the door (cash please). You can send a check if you pay in advance:

Xingyi Seminar

PO Box 1061

Union City, CA 94587
Make the check out to Stephen Chan.
A brief bio of Li Tai

Master Li TaiLiang is one of the few Xingyi masters from Mainland China teaching the the US. He has been a director of combat training for the Beijing Police Department, professional san shou coach to the Beijing San Shou team, and has been a san shou coach to the Shaolin Temple monks. He is originally from Taigu in Shanxi province, historically one of the centers of Xingyi in China, and early in his martial arts career he was the All China San Shou Champion.

As a professional martial arts instructor in China, he has learned or come up against many of the major styles that are taught within the government for demonstration or combat. However, his family has a Xingyi tradition, and he began Xingyi training at the age of 5 years old. Despite being exposed to any number of styles, he is still first and foremost, a Xingyi man and teaches it with an eye towards effective usage and carrying on the heritage of Shanxi Xingyi.

Li TaiLiang's Xingyi is from the Che Yi-Zhai lineage, as part of his research into Xingyi, he has added training elements from Dai Family XinYi, the style that Li LuoNeng orginally learned, and which became the Xingyi known in Hebei and Shanxi provinces. For people who are interested in the history of Xingyi, it provides a fascinating glimpse of how this style evolved. For people who are more practically minded, the training methods are excellent for internal power development - something for which Dai Family Xinyi is famous.

In addition to his Xinyi credentials, he is also an indoor disciple of Wang RongTong, a Cheng style Bagua master in Beijing who is known for having trained several full-contact champions. Li TaiLiang's work as a combat instructor included training the Chinese National Police forces (a government paramilitary unit), and several of his police students went on to become personal bodyguards of senior Chinese government officials.

Li TaiLiang carries on the tradition of practical, professionally oriented Chinese martial arts by training hobbyists, professional athletes as well as bodyguards and police.

--
Stephen Chan

count
04-15-2001, 03:16 PM
Man, this sounds like money well spent. If I were learning Hsing-I I would be there in a heartbeat. Too bad he won't be covering Cheng style baguazhang.
:(

¿

Stranger
04-15-2001, 05:43 PM
count,

I would go Hsing-i experience or not. You will rarely see the art performed on his level, plus the two-man fighting drills are not so commonly taught in the New Age neijia era and allegedly represent the secret to Hsing-i's success in open fighting.
Besides if you get to know him or his students, you may be able to learn bagua down the line.

"Luminous beings are we."

wisdom mind
04-15-2001, 07:53 PM
this is an event not to be missed if you are in that part of the world at that time.

LTL is most respected and highly skilled, no matter what art you are in, learning from this man most certainly will enhance your skill set.

stephenchan
04-16-2001, 06:26 AM
LTL is a lineage holder in 9 Palace Bagua (I'm pretty sure it is a variation on Cheng Style) from Wang RongTong. He feels that the particular branch of Bagua he knows is very effective.

I spoke to LTL about maybe teaching some Bagua, since there are a few of us who would be interested. The problem is that there are only a few of us, and most of the folks want Xinyi. Maybe if there is enough interest I can get him to piggyback a short Bagua seminar onto the Xinyi seminar the next time he's out here.

Stephen

--
Stephen Chan

Rockwood
04-25-2001, 08:38 PM
Hi Stephen:

I was hoping to come to the seminar this weekend, is it possible for me to show up and pay at the door? I know a little hsing i and ba gua, a year or two of each. Please let me know if this is possible, and where its going on. Thanks.

-Jess O'Brien
xingyiquan5@yahoo.com∞

stephenchan
04-29-2001, 09:42 AM
I only check in on this site sporadically, so I didn't see your message until just now. In the future, you can check up on my user profile to get my email address. I read that more regularly.

Sadly, the seminar is over - but for future reference, yes, you can drop by.

--
Stephen Chan