PDA

View Full Version : donnie yen or jackie chan?

nickV
05-22-2006, 07:34 AM
who do you think is better,donnie yen or jackie chan???who do you think has stronger kicks and punches??

Chief Fox
05-22-2006, 08:18 AM
It's hard to compare movie fu and no doubt that Donnie Yen is awesome and has great skills. But it's hard to match Jackie Chan's pure athletic ability. Especially in his younger days. I like them both.

Two great movies with Donnie Yen:
Iron Monkey and ONce Upon a Time in China 2

Two great movies with Jackie Chan
Drunken Master and Shaolin Snake and Crane

BruceSteveRoy
05-22-2006, 08:30 AM
I think its hard to say since what you see is choreographed when you watch them in movies. but i will say on a not just kungfu lvl jackie chan impresses me more. Just the scope of his career and what he has accomplished and how hard he is willing to work to achieve his goals. He is one of those people that anyone can look up to. Donnie Yen however, is an amazing martial artist and i am not trying to take away from his accomplishments.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-22-2006, 08:55 AM
i am better. nuff said.

SPJ
05-22-2006, 10:07 AM
I like them both.

Jackie Chan old MA movies were good fighting scenes. But after a while, people got bored. He then started to introduce stunts and comedy. He hit it big with the Police Story series. After that, he always have stunts and comedy in his movies. Comedy movies are popular in Hong Kong. Stunts movies always have audiences everywhere.--

Donnie, people like his characters in the movie. He also acted as bad guy, too. Because people like his playing as good guy. When he played as a bad guy, not too many people hate his character or role.

He has a very good performance as a Korean fighter and a romantic role in the Seven Sword movie.

--

:)

PangQuan
05-22-2006, 10:55 AM
depends on what your looking for.

for anyone who has read "my life in action" by jacki chan, we all know his training.

it was hard, rigorous, and intended for display purposes. the opera troup was trained by several professional martial artists. jacki will be the first to admit he isnt, wasnt, and wont be a fighter. hes one crazy mofo, with extraordinary skills, and ballz that will hardly ever be matched. his speed, flexability and strength give him wonderful attributes for a fighter though.

donnie grew up in boston, got in fights, was partially trained by his mother in tcma as well as wushu, whom i believe is decendant from one of the ten tigers of canton. eventually was sent to beijing and was trained at the beijing wushu team. though he had a source for tcma, he continually sought out different martial arts styles, and is akin to the mindset of bruce lee's jeet kune do.

both men are highly accomplished, yet neither are pro fighters. both have created, through thier studies, thier own martial arts styles.

i would favor donnie in a fight, but who knows.

nickV
05-22-2006, 11:53 AM
who do you think would win out of these two,jackie or benny urquidez???benny is definetly another one of my favourite martial artist.he is very fast and he fought with jackie in meals on wheels and dragons forever.

PangQuan
05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
benny, hands down. hes a real fighter.

edit:

He has remained undefeated for more than 27 years, and remains the longest reigning World Champion of all professional sports in modern history.

Hieronim
05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
I think its hard to say since what you see is choreographed when you watch them in movies.

so is the way msot martial arts train, actually most martiala rts train even worse since they only teach you to defend agaisnt one punch sometimes and outstrecghed hand rather than a combo.

David Jamieson
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
so is the way msot martial arts train, actually most martiala rts train even worse since they only teach you to defend agaisnt one punch sometimes and outstrecghed hand rather than a combo.

I wouldn't say it is trained in this way. I would say that it is learned in this way.
The application of kungfu goes beyond the choreographed templates that are used to learn the shape of a given style. As one advances, one puts away the methods one used in the beginning. as an example, you know your alphabet but you don't recite it everyday to remember it anymore, you just use it as you need to to express thoughts through complete sentences and so on. But without learning the alphabet first you would be unable to do the latter.

nickV
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
benny, hands down. hes a real fighter.

i cant really say because jackie chan is very good,but i do sort of agree with you because benny is an awsome fighter,but i dont know.

PangQuan
05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
jacki is good, but hes still not a pro fighter.

but then again, i could be totally wrong. never seen jacki fight.

David Jamieson
05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
um, they're all a little long in the tooth really...

and they all have worthy attributes to be sure.

but none of them really qualify as fighters anymore.
I wouldn't call them has beens either, except for benny cause he doesn't really do anything and hasn't really done anything for a long long time and never fought in what is considered to be at a level akin to boxing titles, ufc titles, sumo, or pride or those types of venues.

It would be interesting to see him back in teh day in one of those events though, but that's just a daydream....like pondering which movie star is a better fighter. lol

If they were really really good fighters, then that's what they'd be doing instead of being actors don't ya think?

PangQuan
05-22-2006, 01:13 PM
good point DJ, but sorry your wrong, everyone knows movie fighters only fight in movies cause they are too deadly for the real deal. i mean look at those moves man!

nickV
05-22-2006, 01:18 PM
If they were really really good fighters, then that's what they'd be doing instead of being actors don't ya think?

maybe,but benny used to fight,but since he got older he retired and jackie likes choreagraphing fight scenes and fighting in movies more than he likes reality fighting.

jethro
05-24-2006, 10:15 AM
jackie and donnie are no benny but can still FIGHT.