PDA

View Full Version : Taoist society taiji- Moy lin shin's yang/wu/wudang style

Ma_Xu_Zha
04-15-2001, 05:05 PM
The taiji Master MoyLin Shin does is the Yang long form, done with the forward tilting like the wu jian chuan's taiji, and claims to be the same taiji that Chang San Fang did from Wudang Temple.

That is a huge claim but Master Moy is from a taoist lineage called the early heaven school.
The form emphasis is the foot and leg be a straight line with the back tilted forward and issue out the palms from the root.

any one have other experiences with that style of master moy?

mantis108
04-15-2001, 08:26 PM
With all due respect. It could have been great, but...

There is an alarming lack of theories and techiques with those branches that I have seen. In my very humble opinion it is a shallow hybird system. Please correct me if I am wrong. I really wanted to believe the system is a hope not a hype, but... *sigh*

BTW, they have very good organization structure though.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Mr. Nemo
04-15-2001, 10:38 PM
A tilted back? I always heard that Chang Zenfeng did tai chi with a straight back. Of course, it's so hard to know if he even existed...

Kevin Wallbridge
04-16-2001, 02:34 AM
This organization is a total crock and is perhaps the worst thing happening to internal martial arts in North America. This group is a greater source of dilution within Taijiquan than the Yang 24.

Moi was never a skilled practitioner. Just about everything about his form was in violation of good principles (let alone the classics). His form is simply Yang Chengfu's form done poorly.

He created a cult-like organization where people with just a few months training begin to teach the long form. These "volunteer instructors" do so because of a curious ideology of Daoist "good works" (actually derived from Buddhism not Daoism).

I read one of their secret instructors manuals and it directed them to never engage with people who practice another style of Taichi (its disrespectful to your teacher, and his low skill may be found out). If someone comes to the club and asks to push hands tell them to leave, if they don't leave call the police. Not to mention the complete distortion of Chinese history from Laozi onwards.

Here in Canada the society has charitable organization status (none of the incompetant teachers are paid). Isn't it interesting just how much property this group owns? Every club owns its own space, these guys never rent.

If I was a Hong Kong Triad and I wanted to launder money in Canada I'd set up a volunteer based charity and buy lots of property.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

Ma_Xu_Zha
04-16-2001, 06:30 PM
thats the reactiions i was looking for, my friend gave me a copy of the video and i was dumbfounded.

rovere
04-17-2001, 02:17 AM
When Moy first came to Canada (early 1970's I think) he called his style "taoist yang" -- basically his interpretation of Yang style -- all the names of the moves, etc. remain. He later dropped the 'yang connection and started promoting the 'taoist' aspect (or at least his interpretation of taoism) shortly after that. This was discussed in an interview in Flare magazine around 1984. I offered to do push hands with him at a demonstration he gave in Calgary, but he wouldn't have anything to do with that.

Pure crap! is the kindest thing I can say about this style and the group. (Or as my Chinese wife would say "They insult my heritage".)