PDA

View Full Version : Baji Stances

cybermantis
05-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Any place I could start learning rhe baji stances i.e videos, books, articles?
So I could get a jump on my learning and training?

B-Rad
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/kungfu/vd-suauthenticbaji.htm

I think that's a very good representation of the branch of baji quan you were asking about. It's one of the best organized martial arts instructional videos that I've seen going from basic stances, strikes, and posture to beginer form work and applications. Will show you exactly how to do the stances from multiple angles, and takes you through the transitions between stances.

SPJ
05-23-2006, 09:35 PM
cool link.

here is his website for more info.

http://www.pachitanglang.com/

:)

Three Harmonies
05-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Dude, Baji is a VERY subtle art. If you do not have access to an actual teacher, I would not waste my time. No video or book can help you in this regard.
Cheers
Jake :)

SPJ
05-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Dude, Baji is a VERY subtle art. If you do not have access to an actual teacher, I would not waste my time. No video or book can help you in this regard.

Well said.

B-Rad
05-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Cheers
Jake
He does have access to a teacher and is just looking for a home study suplement if I'm not mistaken.

cybermantis
05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
So what if the diagrams Im studying is from my instructor, he wrote some articles years ago about rhe basics of baji, in which he included sketched diagrams correctly performing stances and the bear walk and I would use these diagrams to compare to confirm Im doing the stances correctly?

B-Rad
05-25-2006, 06:24 PM
You can only use your best judgement. None of us know what you're capible of. I've seen a guy before that had good stances and was completely self taught (in chang quan though). Then there's people who need tons of private instruction to learn the most simple things :p

Since you have a teacher, or at least have one picked out, you should give him a call or something and get his opinion on the matter.

Three Harmonies
05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
SPJ
When is the new book due out??
THanks
Jake :D

SPJ
05-25-2006, 08:06 PM
hi;

Thanks for asking.

I am still waiting for the hard copy for proof. The production department has a backlog of books that is causing the delay or 1 month or so lag time.

I know the publisher already notified Barnes and noble and Borders to take pre=orders.

Anyhow, I think maybe sometimes next week, I will receive the hardcopy.

It is a very concise book but highlites key features of the style. Some of the classical moves are explained. It is a general intro book for newcomers. It is also a good review book for old timers.

;)

cybermantis
05-26-2006, 05:22 PM
You mentioned there was this guy that was self taught could you elaborate in alittle more detail of what he did , and or others who were self taught?

SPJ
05-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I was going to post postures from famous teachers.

However, there are copy right issues. So I delete the posts.

Over the years, I collected a lot of postures from magazines and books and so forth.

:o

cybermantis
05-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Any chance of getting those postures and stances? Im particular intersted in Baji ?

SPJ
05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
here is a link to a thread. you may see them before.

http://www.wushu2008.cn/viewthread.php?tid=6316

B-Rad
05-26-2006, 09:31 PM
You mentioned there was this guy that was self taught could you elaborate in alittle more detail of what he did , and or others who were self taught?
He did longfist, I don't remember his name, but I saw him at an open competition in the some CMA empty hand forms division. He had pretty strong stances, was very flexable and athletic. Was missing a ton of little details though, and I don't think he won a medal. Didn't seem happy with the criticisms the judges gave him, or the offer of coaching. I think he was expecting more of a "wow, you learned this on your own? You're pretty talented!" type reaction. Never saw him again at any tournements.

cybermantis
05-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I wanna say as being a new member this is really a excellent board with nothing but good and sound advise and I really appreciate all the great advise.
My question is currently my legs are pretty weak and my balance is really off and as far as a horse stance and Postures are concerned, I believe it would it be better to start to get my legs alittle stronger before I started to begin my training and learning cause currently I cant hold a horse stance at all ?

qiphlow
05-27-2006, 03:34 PM
training the horse stance will make your legs stronger. everyone has to start somewhere. hold your horse as low as you can for as long as you can--the key is consistency in your training.

cybermantis
05-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanx for the great help, right now I have to practice my horse stance leaning against the wall, I know it may be cheating to some extent but thats the only way I could maintain my balance and continue with my stance practice hopefully with time I could move away from the wall and practice the stances solo?

cybermantis
05-27-2006, 08:24 PM
What are the additional benefits of Baji/Piqua ? Are there any Internal or health benefits?

count
05-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Training your horse against a wall is fine. There's nothing cheating about it. In fact, I recommend it. I sat my entire first class against a wall until I almost vomited.

IME, the benefits of baji and piqua are short power and long power respectively. There are no health benefits to any martial art. Maybe some side effects, but there is nothing healthy about fighting.

After you get some fundamentals of baji, you may be taught some specific chi kung based on baji. Depends on the knowledge level of your instructor. You haven't said I don't think, did you start with Jason Tsou or not? In case I didn't make it clear to you before, he's the only one for Li Shuwen's Baji in your area. Sounded like you did though, if your talking about sitting against the wall now. :D

cybermantis
05-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Well actually I havent formally started with Sifu Tsou but I have come to the conclusion that you can get no bettertan him, I jusy wanna get my balance situated before I start his class Id hate to be laughed at for being all goofy for not holding stances etc?

qiphlow
05-28-2006, 09:26 AM
why would you worry about looking goofy when you don't know the style to begin with? my first taiji class i was totally lost, but i eventually got it. if we already knew how to practice our art, there would be no reason to go to a school in the first place, right? i'm sure your teacher has dealt with beginners of all abilities--you'll be fine. better to get good instruction from the start, that have to waste time unlearning bad habits you may have picked up from trying to get it on your own. if you practice well, you'll get good results in time.

cybermantis
05-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I believe you are totally right but what is so wrong wirth building up muscle to prepare omneself with the horse stance, im not saying im practicing the horse stance im saying just building up the muscles and my balance so when I do start my training my body wont be waving as much as it does now. Im just doing normal leg routines like squats etc

qiphlow
05-28-2006, 09:53 PM
ah---i misunderstood.
in any case, best of luck--and have fun with it!:D

count
05-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Cybermantis.

It's the fact that your thinking, that building muscle is what will help you in your stance training, when in fact, it will only impede your progress. But if you really want to work on only your muscle and posture, go ahead and sit against the wall. It will help.

Good luck with your training.