PDA

View Full Version : OT - Health Insurance

IronFist
05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Heya,

I'm no longer working, and I don't really want to elect COBRA because it's expensive as hell, so are there any decent health insurance plans out there that I can buy on a month-by-month basis since I don't know how long it will be until I get a job again?

I quit my job in March, and I only have 3 more days to be eligible for COBRA, and if I elect it, I'm going to have to pay for it retroactively from the day I quit (3/15). I really don't want to do that.

Does anyone know of any good catastrophic insurance I could get in the meantime?

Thanks.

PangQuan
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
aflac is ok.

when i wasnt working i took up their accidental, incase of any breaks or major sprains. pretty much what ever your training might throw your way.

they key is that its recreational...

Shaolinlueb
05-23-2006, 06:16 PM
since i am my own business, i go through my states business asasociation. Massachusetts Business Association (MBA) and i get it through them. my plan is decent and i pay $282.28 a month for it. and 90 dollars once per year for membership. also the year before i paid $264.24. so you can see how much it goes up in one year.

Oso
05-23-2006, 06:35 PM
IF, when I was independant for a while I got a policy through my car insurance company (State Farm). It wasn't state farm but they were an agent for them.

I got a health/dental/vision basic 80/20 plan w/ 250 deductible for $109 a month as a 33 year old non-smoker.

That was 5 years ago and rates have gone up but at the time that was 1/2 of what COBRA was offering and just as good a plan. I too was shocked at what COBRA turned out to be.

good luck, the most important thing is don't lapse coverage...ever. especially post 30.