PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighters Choice

cybermantis
05-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Which of the following arts are effective in a real bar fight/alley fight where the scenario might be a fight to the end with one or multiple assailants that are maybe armed with a knife or stick?
Shuai-chiao
San Shou
Xing Yi
Bagua
Baji Chuan
Piqua Chuan
Eagle Claw
Praying Mantis
Long Fist

Zhang Yong Chun
06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Which of the following arts are effective in a real bar fight/alley fight where the scenario might be a fight to the end with one or multiple assailants that are maybe armed with a knife or stick?
Shuai-chiao
San Shou
Xing Yi
Bagua
Baji Chuan
Piqua Chuan
Eagle Claw
Praying Mantis
Long Fist

The easy answer is Gun Fu, but in a cramped environment with numerous environmental weapons, like chairs, glasses, bottles, pool cues, garbage cans, etc, you would want a method that would employ short-range striking attacks, similar to the southern styles where you would kick no higher than the waist, and use rapid fire hand techniques against the opponent(s). You would also want an art that deals with extremely close range fighting, like wrestling or jiujitsu to control when someone tries to grab you or take you to the ground.

Throwing someone onto concrete is a very effective deterrent, if you throw them right, but you would not want to be rolling around on the ground with multiple opponents. One kick to your head or waist and the fight is over. Also, the person on top of you may have a knife and slip it into your ribs, your neck, or your groin, as you try to choke them out.

Against a stick, you have a fighting chance. Against a knife, your best bet would be to hit someone, anyone, really hard and use them as a shield as you run away. Put cars or anything else between you and the person with a knife as you try to assess the situation and/or plan your escape.

Pick up any kind of weapon you can find, even pick up dirt if you can find it, to throw in someone's eyes, but do not, do not, do not try to disarm a knife fighter if when you reach into your pocket all you come out with is a hand with some skin on it. Grandmaster Richard Pryor taught me that one.

R-U-N.

Steeeve
06-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Hahaha....

Its not the style but the guy ....

I choice Hsing I Chuan for bar fight

:)

RedJunkRebel
06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
That sounds too easy of a question...

SevenStar
06-05-2006, 01:11 PM
it's not the style that matters, but the training methods. however, if forced to choose, I'd combine san shou and shuai chiao, which is similar to me - muay thai and judo.

SNAkeFU
06-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Training method def. matters for sure. off-time practice is also important.

Id feel a multi-opponent w/weapons situation requires an approach that combines short range, circular and instinctive adaptability.

Id probably choose bagua because I train it and imo is closest to having eyes 'in back of your head' - I find my hip/core power can really be released this way. Combine that with wing chun for close combat and grappling. Disarming techniques though, no matter what style, I suspect, are harder than they look. Since in real life, a weapon is faster, sharper, longer than when practicing/training w/a friend in slow motion :eek:

Zi Ran men I prefer the most [not on list] because its all about animal instinct and 'sensing' your opponent at each stage of combat, adapting to [and abducting] changes in initiative...in other words, finding an opening and taking and extending control, often much quicker than an opponent could wish to expect, since it is a pretty spontaneous process [from what Ive seen while training w/others].

Have I ever been in such a situation? Thankfully, no!

R-U-N lol....

hmm what is Baji chuan?

Gun Fu....reminds me of that equilibrium movie, it was pretty much that...

Banjos_dad
07-21-2006, 11:24 AM
you'd be lucky to get out of a scrape like that at al,l no matter what method
multiple armed opponents??? do they attack one at a time like in the movies? or do they simultaneously mass attack you ... like say a ranking-out beat down of a street gang?
there is no answer especially when you limit your options to a list of choices, of what art is best.

okay... say you have a heckler & koch MP5 in one hand and a lightsaber in the other... sure you have a good chance of winning. But then you are committing a mass murder and will have to spend probably the rest of your life locked up in jail for it. in the long view is that really a victory?

if you had asked about a 1-on-1 scenario against an armed (knife or stick) attacker, that is a much more workable question. sorry