PDA

View Full Version : Chinese name of a horse.

hskwarrior
05-23-2006, 04:15 PM
CLFNOLE or any other CLF student,

again my chinese is bad and i'm trying to get the chinese names for some of the horses.

For example. when in sei ping ma.......if you were to slide your right leg back to your left leg (or what we call "close horse" what is the chinese name?

and when in the closed horse what it is called when you step out into the sei Pin ma.

in the closed horse the knees are bent and you drag your foot towards the other one.

any help is appreciated.

Lama Pai Sifu
05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Frank

We call 'open horse' (Stepping out to horse) "Hoi Ma"

Don't use a "horse" name for bringing our feet together. Someone else might...I don't know of it being called a specific 'horse'.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace

CLFNole
05-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah that is what I was going to say, hoi ma - open horse. The second part I wasn't sure if you meant bring both legs together or crossing over each other - kay lun ma.

hskwarrior
05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
what i mean is bring your legs together. both knees are bent and touching each other.

Not sure how you guys would use it, but it's kind of like the no shadow kick for us.

Try this. your sitting in a say ping ma. your focus is to the left. if you try to throw a kick from that horse you won't get much distance.

But, let's say someone threw a punch at you and you block. at the same time your close your horse (right leg closing to the left). Once you are in that position your can get a longer range on your kick, and the person won't see you move at all.

try it and see if you know what i mean.

And, if your're in a fighting stance, and someone tries to sweep your front leg, grab your front leg you can close your horse when the time is right.

hskwarrior
05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
how do you say closed horse?

But thanks mike, Hoi Ma it is.

hskwarrior
05-23-2006, 10:17 PM
okay, in the picture i guess i'll focus on the one on the left.

using either leg to try and kick from that distance is bad.

however, if he were to drag or pull his right leg in towards his left while simultaneously executing some other technique....without the guy on the right knowing, the guy on the left has greatly shortened the gap between them and can execute a kick without him even seeing it coming.

I hope i was clear on that?!?!?:confused:

extrajoseph
05-23-2006, 10:19 PM
THe opposite of "hoi" (open) is sou (close), so it is "sou ma" to close the horse.

Cheers guys, keep training.

:)

hskwarrior
05-23-2006, 10:22 PM
see, i knew you'd be useful one day joseph.

and thank you for that.

seriously.

Fu-Pow
05-23-2006, 10:24 PM
THe opposite of "hoi" (open) is sou (close), so it is "sou ma" to close the horse.

Cheers guys, keep training.

:)

Or could be hap ma=together horse.

hskwarrior
05-23-2006, 10:26 PM
honestly joseph,

it would be a good thing if u could help me learn more of the Chinese terminologies. it's too tough trying to get answers out of old stubborn chinese.

for example, joseph, imagine this.........you are in a closed horse, knee's bent. left hand is over head blocking, and riight hand is scooping upwards. when you do that left and right "we call it windmill block" but what is the chinese terminology for it?

hsk

hskwarrior
05-23-2006, 10:28 PM
in the way we use our SOU MA, we use it different ways, like i said it can evade a sweep, kick, or when done from behind to forward can close the gap greatly when trying to kick or just gain some distance.

you can also hook the foot and close the horse bringing him off balance.

extrajoseph
05-24-2006, 12:41 AM
honestly joseph,

it would be a good thing if u could help me learn more of the Chinese terminologies. it's too tough trying to get answers out of old stubborn chinese.

for example, joseph, imagine this.........you are in a closed horse, knee's bent. left hand is over head blocking, and riight hand is scooping upwards. when you do that left and right "we call it windmill block" but what is the chinese terminology for it?

hsk

You are doing "chun lou sou" in a "lok gwai ma".

extrajoseph
05-24-2006, 12:48 AM
in the way we use our SOU MA, we use it different ways, like i said it can evade a sweep, kick, or when done from behind to forward can close the gap greatly when trying to kick or just gain some distance.

you can also hook the foot and close the horse bringing him off balance.

To open you must close first, so you "sou ma" in order to "hoi ma" and from that you can do whatever ma you want to follow up.

So if you want to "hook the foot and close the horse bringing him off balance" then it is called "k-old t-ang ma" (hook and shake horse stance).

hskwarrior
05-24-2006, 06:29 AM
thank you brother joseph.:D

Lama Pai Sifu
05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I am not familiar with the word 'sou' being associated with 'close, or closing'.

We say "saan" as in "Saan-Muyhn" (Closed Door).

I didn't bother trying to look up the word 'sou', so are you sure it means 'close?'

iron_silk
05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
I am not familiar with the word 'sou' being associated with 'close, or closing'.

We say "saan" as in "Saan-Muyhn" (Closed Door).

I didn't bother trying to look up the word 'sou', so are you sure it means 'close?'

Although I am not part of the conversation I just wanted to add that I have heard of the term "sou" use for such purpose.

Is it the same as "sou faan" to "take back" or "sou sam" taking in laundry.

I don't know...

Lama Pai Sifu
05-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks! I will look it up. I am always appreciative of someone teaching me something new...

CFT
05-25-2006, 06:19 AM
I think this is the character you are looking for:

http://zhongwen.com/d/166/x172.htm

David Jamieson
05-25-2006, 07:07 AM
just wanna say that in the year or ten that you've spent looking at all this stuff you could have taken a course and learned the whole language dude.

I seriously wouldn't rely on phrasology in english terms except in a very broad sense when it comes to teh descriptors for CMA. It's always in yoru best interest to express verbal information in your native tongue or at least the one that you yourself understand.

Otherwise, get to nightschool! You can learn chinese very quickly! Maybe 2 years tops if you are a good student and you will even be able to write a bit. Look for opportunities to speak and be corrected by those who speak it fluently!

beats trying to figure stuff out vis a vis a bunch of non chinese (maybe a couple) in an internet forum anyway. :p

chasincharpchui
05-26-2006, 09:02 AM
it is definately not called sou ma

depending if ur retreating or advancing

they're different names

dat ma and tou ma

and btw 'sou' or better prounounced 'sau' does not translate to close

it translate to take or retrieve

Lama Pai Sifu
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
See..I didn't think it was associated with any type of 'closing'.

For the record, I speak Cantonese. Probably the equivalent of someone who took Spanish for 3 years and was an "A" student. I still am learning quite a bit...always picking up new vocab...but I have never heard that word being associated with 'closing'.

Keepin' it real.

chasincharpchui
05-26-2006, 08:35 PM
See..I didn't think it was associated with any type of 'closing'.

For the record, I speak Cantonese. Probably the equivalent of someone who took Spanish for 3 years and was an "A" student. I still am learning quite a bit...always picking up new vocab...but I have never heard that word being associated with 'closing'.

Keepin' it real.

these guys mite have it mixed up with its other uses

'sau poh/sau dong' close shop(cantonese slang)

'sau sik' end of form

CLFNole
05-26-2006, 08:38 PM
I am familiar with sau sik with sau ma could it translate to close horse or take in the horse since what Frank was describing was going from sei ping ma to both legs together.

hskwarrior
05-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Yeah that's correct, CLF nole.

Start out in Sei Ping Ma. Lets's say you take your right leg and (pull) or eve slide your right leg back to your left leg. Knee's are still bent, feet are "together" and knees are touching. In our school you don't pick up the foot and place it there, you pull the leg closed. by dragging it on the floor slightly you can build that innner groin muscle (get out the gutter;) )

Still, that move can be found in our Che Kuen and Cheung Kuen (lau Bun's). In my book, using the closed horse is a great way to evade a frontal leg attack while transitioning into something else. but it's still just a simple move.

But like i said previously, while in the sei ping ma if you were to simultaneously pull the back leg in to the closed horse position it's pretty hidden to the person you are dealing with that you just closed the gap and can launch a kick without him seeing it.

In one sense, the closed horse can seem like an illusion because at one point you can't even kick the person with your front leg. but close the back leg while blocking or something and go from there.

But thanks folks.

chasincharpchui
05-27-2006, 10:14 PM
wat ur describing is 'lau ma'

and sau does not mean to close

hskwarrior
05-28-2006, 08:29 AM
I do thank you all for your contributions to helping me document the chinese terminologies of the techniques we do.

For the most part we never cared about the chinese names because rarely dealt with other CLF schools. now, that i've been dealing with you folks I've realized that knowing the chinese terms is important for me to teach my own students.

I will be back for more, however if anyone knows this kind of computer problem, my computer is scrolling up and down all by itself and i'm not sure if i should change the mouse, keyboard or what. help me.

mysteri
05-28-2006, 10:10 PM
so cool, not to hijack the thread, but i'm wondering what other's feel would be good audio or computer software learning material for cantonese? Pimsleur was good for a month or two crash course to understand enough basic phrases to get u shot in hong kong or hanged in guangzhou. ;) also, "Colloquial Cantonese" by Keith S.T. Tong(?) and Gregory James was decent, but i never really finished that one. jus curious what u all are finding worthwhile.

also, i've been asking simo if she would mind "coaching" us in cantonese if i found some good classroom material. i'm having a pretty hard time finding that. any recommendations? thanks in advance.

chasincharpchui
05-29-2006, 02:26 AM
its really hard to learn cantonese from books because the way cantonese ppl talk is different to they way cantonese ppl write

unlike mandarin u write wat u speak

Lama Pai Sifu
05-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Best advice, do what I did. Hang out with someone who doesn't speak English (your sifu) for about...oh....10 years or so. That ought to do it.

Seriously, books and cd's are good, I've always used them, but you've got to talk to Chinese people to learn. Go to Chinatown, practice basics in a resturant, go shopping etc. Plan a trip to China or Hong Kong. I went twice in the past 6 months, stayed for about 10 days each time, and WOW, did my Cantonese improve.

mysteri
05-29-2006, 11:54 AM
thanx for the information, guys. i agree, it does mainly come down to just speaking and practicing with native-speakers. i did plan a trip overseas but so far it's fallen through, so i think it's being put off till next year. i'm lucky enough to where i can call up some fluent speakers when i'd like to practice so that helps. but i'm also always looking for good material to solidify a working foundation. dohr jie saai.