PDA

View Full Version : THE NEW POLL Favprite woman screen fighter ever

jethro
05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I have taken in your opinions and have compiled a new list. Sorry to make rules, but you do have to vote for moon:D

And be sure to include your own favorites, say B. Lin, and Lily Li to think of a couple more:)

PangQuan
05-24-2006, 10:57 AM
i say lucy, cause shes a fox.

Chum Kil
05-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Kara Hui or Angela Mao.

Judge Pen
05-24-2006, 01:39 PM
:D By looking at the responses so far you can tell that there is absolutely no asian fetish present in these forums. Zero. :D

I voted for Ziyi by the way.

jethro
05-24-2006, 01:49 PM
chum kil very sorry about mao ying. She should have been first. A definite FIGHTER!!!! So she is definitely a choice if anybody wants to write that in instead. I didn't include pei-pei cause she is too old school. that is pretty much where it started. But I am a disgrace for leaving out the deadly china doll.:mad: :mad:

also-I will be sure to tally them up if a bunch of Ms. Hapkido's votes come in.

Shaolinlueb
05-24-2006, 01:51 PM
yukari oshima cause she was in riki oh!!!

SimonM
05-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Gotta say Michelle. My first Gong Fu crush was on Michelle Yeoh when I saw her star next to Jackie Chan in... something, can't remember what now. A few years later she became a bond girl and the resulting "centerfold" that Kung Fu Magazine produced from that movie graced my wall for years until it was torn down in a Gong Fu related accident... One that left a 1 meter wide hole in the same wall...

Also Michelle Yeoh may not be as cute as some of the girls on the list but she is a serious stunt woman and the things she has gone through for her movies put her into a league occupied by very few people.

neilhytholt
05-26-2006, 07:21 AM
The only thing is women can't fight like they do in the movies. It's not realistic the way they portray them.

I have to say my least favorite, though, was Uma Thurman because her sword work was totally bogus. She should have had at least 3 years more training to begin to make it look semi-realistic.

jethro
05-26-2006, 10:27 AM
yeah, it is hard to tell if they can actually fight. Stupidly, I didn't put the great Angela Mao Ying on there, but I just go by who looks the best. Yeoh working with woo-ping and jackie really helps. And speaking of looking the best, yeoh would easily beat out teh others up there in terms of looks.

dwid
05-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Gotta say Michelle. My first Gong Fu crush was on Michelle Yeoh when I saw her star next to Jackie Chan in... something, can't remember what now. A few years later she became a bond girl and the resulting "centerfold" that Kung Fu Magazine produced from that movie graced my wall for years until it was torn down in a Gong Fu related accident... One that left a 1 meter wide hole in the same wall...

Also Michelle Yeoh may not be as cute as some of the girls on the list but she is a serious stunt woman and the things she has gone through for her movies put her into a league occupied by very few people.

I have to agree. Also, Michelle brings a sort of serious steadfastness to her characters that I find sexy.

BruceSteveRoy
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
I have to go with Zhang Ziyi even if her training is in dancing and not martial arts. but if i had to pick who i'd like to see her fight it would be gong li (even though, to the best of my knowledge she has no fighting experience theatrical or otherwise). i don't even care who wins i just want to see them fight. in a mud, or jello pit. thats all i have to say about that.

SimonM
05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
I have to say my least favorite, though, was Uma Thurman because her sword work was totally bogus. She should have had at least 3 years more training to begin to make it look semi-realistic.

If this thread was on worst performance in fight coreography it would look like a whose who of kill bill.

#1 Uma: Gawky and uncoordinated, doesn't seem to know how to hold a sword let alone wield it.

#2 Lucy Liu: No good.

#3 The woman in the knife fight at the beginning of the movie... I think her last name is Foxx: Also uncoordinated though not as bad as Uma.

Li Kao
05-26-2006, 10:39 PM
SimonM,

I'm with you on the girls in Kill Bill looking very awkward in many of the fight scenes -- the movie still had a great style and flair, but that did hamper it. And while we are on Lucy Liu, I have to say that she was much more convincing in the Charlie's Angels movies than either Cameron Diaz or Drew Barrymore. I thought Kate Beckinsale looked really clumsy at times in Van Helsing as well. I know that all of these actresses did training before the movies and worked hard to make it more convincing, but you can only do so much in a short amount of time.

Since I brought up Charlie's Angels, I nominate Karen Mok for her performance in Corey Yuen's version of Angels -- "So Close". In my opinion, she stole the show from both Shu Qi and Vicky Zhao in that one. I also loved her as Turkey in Stephen Chow's "The God of Cookery" and Jet Li's "Black Mask" -- she is a stunning beauty who seems to really pull off the whole "ugly duckling" character (thanks to the wonders of movie makeup).

Li Kao
05-26-2006, 10:49 PM
SimonM,

Too funny, but I also had the same kind of crush on Michelle Yeoh as well. And I think it was the same movie too -- "Supercop" (aka Police Story 3). The one that really won me over was "Wing Chung" because she had the leading role and it was funny in that movie she would dress up to look like a man. I also had her Bond Girl poster on the wall ... she has really aged well and still looks as good or better in her recent movies alongside younger actresses. I really didn't care for her short hair look in some of her earlier movies (Yes Madam, Royal Warriors, Magnificient Warriors) and I'm not too crazy about her latest movies (The Touch, Silver Hawk) but she will always have a special place in my heart.

SimonM
05-26-2006, 11:18 PM
SimonM,

I'm with you on the girls in Kill Bill looking very awkward in many of the fight scenes -- the movie still had a great style and flair, but that did hamper it. And while we are on Lucy Liu, I have to say that she was much more convincing in the Charlie's Angels movies than either Cameron Diaz or Drew Barrymore. I thought Kate Beckinsale looked really clumsy at times in Van Helsing as well. I know that all of these actresses did training before the movies and worked hard to make it more convincing, but you can only do so much in a short amount of time.

I completely concur. I had sort-of blanked Charlies Angels out of my memory because it was such a useless movie. I never watched the sequel. Better or worse?

Jet Li's "Black Mask" -- she is a stunning beauty who seems to really pull off the whole "ugly duckling" character (thanks to the wonders of movie makeup).

She was great in Black Mask. That is one of my top 5 jet li movies. I also suspect that it was a source for a lot of the coreography in the Matrix.

Too funny, but I also had the same kind of crush on Michelle Yeoh as well. And I think it was the same movie too -- "Supercop" (aka Police Story 3).

Supercop! That was it! I loved that movie. New Police Story is also pretty good too.

I also had her Bond Girl poster on the wall ...

Betcha yours wasn't retired after your brother threw you through the wall though eh?

and I'm not too crazy about her latest movies (The Touch, Silver Hawk)

Haven't seen Silver Hawk but I quite liked The Touch. I thought they flubbed the ending a little bit.

jethro
05-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Simon, Your A Movie Person! I Get To Throw A Bit Of Movie Knowledge At You You Probably already Know. Yeoh Did Her Own Stunt When She Drove The M.cycle Off The Ramp Onto The Moving Train in supercop Jackie Had To Top Her, Thats Why He Tried To Kill Himself Hanging From The Chopper. A Movie Martial Artist, But Tough. She Has Earnd The Right To Make Her Own Movies. Haveb't seen her latest 2 but have heard A LOT of mixed reviews.

And zihi zhang and gong li going at it, asian fetish overload. But personally, I would like to see a B. lin and gong fight. Or all 3, with yeoh choreographing them. My head has just exploded.

Jimbo
05-27-2006, 03:34 PM
IMO, the female film fighter who I've seen pull off the best, most intense screen fights is probably Moon Lee (Li Sai-Fung). Especially in the "Iron Angels" films. Most of the time she isn't allowed to show her stuff, however (The Protector, Mr. Vampire, etc.). Her final fight with Yukari Oshima in the first Iron Angels (a.k.a. Midnight Angels) was possibly the best 1 on 1 female fight of all time, though it was fairly short it was well-choreographed and wickedly brutal.

Hsia Kuang-Li should also be on the list. She is the star of The Woman Avenger, and co-starred with Tan Tao-Liang in Leg Fighters. Though she made only a few films.

Angela Mao-Ying was great, especially in her early years. She lost her onscreen "killer instinct" after only a few films, however. I always liked her as a performer, but at the risk of offending some, her screen fighting never really impressed me like she impressed some other people...not quite sure why.

Another good but unmentioned female screenfighter was Yang Pan-Pan, who was in Roar of the Lion, Duel of the 7 Tigers, Kid from Kwangtung, and a few others. Only a few films, but when she was good, she stood out.

jethro
05-27-2006, 03:38 PM
if she is your fav., vote for her up there. She is the reason I created this poll!!!

Also-if you look through the favorite MA star of alltime, I got a couple ramblin topics for ya:D

SimonM
05-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Another good but unmentioned female screenfighter was Yang Pan-Pan, who was in Roar of the Lion, Duel of the 7 Tigers, Kid from Kwangtung, and a few others. Only a few films, but when she was good, she stood out.

Ah Roar of the Lion.

I love the scene where her boyfriend tries to fight all the martial arts masters in the Lei Tai.

jethro
05-28-2006, 09:47 AM
You got me all mad mentioning roar of lion and I haven't seen it. Well, I found it in my collection, "Lion vs. Lion". Great Kung Fu Movie.

Watching "the undaunted wudang" last night and the girl in there deserves consideration. After her short trainng(exhibition), I was ready to call her queen. Another awesome movie. In fact there are a lot of mainlnd chinese movies where they use real wushu performers and they are great but we never hear from them again.

And jimbo-Mao Ying has some great performances----enter the dragon, Hapkido, BROKEN OATH, but she does give me that feeling she is not fast enough to make it look good on screen. But she was spectacualr in aat least a few movies.

shuaichiao
05-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Absolutly have to go with Moon Lee! She moves great and her stunt work could rival any one in the biusness. Too bad most of her films were low budget and shot like crap.

jethro
05-28-2006, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=SimonM]If this thread was on worst performance in fight coreography it would look like a whose who of kill bill.

#1 Uma: Gawky and uncoordinated, doesn't seem to know how to hold a sword let alone wield it.

I loved uma. a little lanky, but was good enough to perform what the the movie required.

#2 Lucy Liu: No good.
Agreed, but HELLA HOT!!!!!!!!

#3 The woman in the knife fight at the beginning of the movie... I think her last name is Foxx: Also uncoordinated though not as bad as Uma.[/

Even hotter is vivica fox, but that was a great fight. It's chicks fighting man, you are not going to see perfect form.

Li kao-is chinese charlie's angels any good. And that reminds me, I left off the hottest one around today, CHRISTY CHUNG!!!!!!!!!

Li Kao
05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Jethro,

"So Close" (or as I like to call it, the Hong Kong Charlie's Angels) was a guilty pleasure kind of movie for me. On the plus side, it was fairly high budget for a HK film. It was nice to see some fight scenes with veteren Yasuaki Kurata (most recently in Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" but also a classic Shaw Brothers villian, including one of my favorite Gordon Liu movies, "Shaolin Challenges Ninja"). And of course, the girls looked, well, incredibly sexy.

On the negative side: the usual cheesy plot, annoying romantic sidestories (although the lesbian dynamic between Karen Mok and Vicky Zhao was a twist), and unbelievable, over-the-top action. It's a Corey Yuen flick, so that could be a plus or minus, depending on how you like his films.

Personally, Karen Mok really won me over in her performance -- she plays a tough-as-nails detective and is just so darn ... plucky, for lack of a better word. There is a lot of wirework in this film, and it's very much a fluff piece, but I still liked it, for what it was.

jethro
05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

corey yuen-not a fan of legend and thought "my father is a hero" was just ok, but I love corey yuen but let me make sure I got all this straight before I thank you. High budget, hot, lesbian women, and Kurata(legend of a fighter) fighting with them. Thank you so much, I am sure I will have thoughts on this one. :D

I will pick it up when I get a chance. Is there any special editions out with like cast commentary?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000U0X1Q/qid=1148964277/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6395455-0802252?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

shuaichiao
05-30-2006, 03:24 AM
[QUOTE=SimonM]
Li kao-is chinese charlie's angels any good. And that reminds me, I left off the hottest one around today, CHRISTY CHUNG!!!!!!!!!

There is a made for tv movie from taiwan that is actualy called Asian Charlies Angels. It was kind of cheesy but also kind of funny and with 3 hot babes including Christy Chung how can you go wrong?

jethro
05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
fyi, that quote is how my mind works. I see chinese charlie's angels and then for some reason Christy Chung comes to mind. I guess I thought she woud just automatically be one of them.

shuaichiao
05-31-2006, 04:38 AM
Worth seeing at least once in my opinion.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-c/section-videos/pid-1001821963/

jethro
05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
I will definitely check that out. I don't remember a lot of parts I liked in red wolf, but her scenes made that movie, I can watch it again and again.

:confused: :confused:

do you know any movies where she goes halle berry(swordfish)? Maybe this movie? :D

Jimbo
05-31-2006, 07:00 PM
I almost forgot about So Close! That's a great movie...IMO probably the best Hong Kong action-type movie post-1990s. I also liked Karen Mok the best of the three. She doesn't come across as a "stunning"-looking beauty, but she was very, very sexy nonetheless, in a more real sort of way.

Jethro:
I agree there were a few Mao Ying films where she looked good in fights. She was the first internationally-known female empty-hand fighting star of movies (that's a mouthful!), so she deserves that recognition. Her classmate, Chia Ling (Judy Lee) sometimes came across as more believable at her best (The Crane Fighter). Probably because she was taller than Mao Ying.

I really like Yukari Oshima too, but like many stars, her performances depended on being in good movies...esp. her fights with Moon Lee were great. Also good in The Outlaw Brothers.

jethro
05-31-2006, 07:44 PM
I have 4 movies on my mind right now and they will remain there for a while.

Iron Angels(can't find it)

angel terminators 2(KF cinema gave it 5/5 and it has moon and yukari)

Charlies angels(part 1 and 2 come with it? Do I have to have a vcd player)

So Close(I readily can get this, and will!)

Jimbo-mao ying was great in hapkido, but it would really be hard to find somebody better overall with how many movies she was in. It's sad that we only have a few examples like So Close and Wing Chun where the woman is the star of the movie. I mean I have to admit, I am really itching to see another moon lee fight. BTW-Bury Me High(moon lee, corey yuen, yuen wah) is no good. I will stick with recommendations and not buy the cheapest dvd's there are.
Which reminds me, that retard who told me to watch the black sheep affair, DO NOT watch that one people.

Jimbo
05-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Iron Angels was renamed Midnight Angels by Xenon corp. several years ago, but I don't think it's available anymore. There was II and III as well. It's a pity that except for the Bruce Lee/Jet Li/Jackie Chan/Crouching Tiger stuff, most kung fu-type movies are only limited-releases for sale.

If you can find it, there's a video called Deadly China Dolls, a documentary about the female screen fighting stars, with interviews with Mao Ying, Michelle Yeoh, Judy Lee (Chia Ling), Yang Pan-Pan, Yukari Oshima, etc. I saw it many years ago. It's pretty interesting, but I cannot find it in DVD! I know it supposedly was available for a while but it was from a subsidiary of Videoasia that sells for like $5 a pop. I wouldn't buy it because I'd tried another DVD from that subsidiary and it simply did not work.

jethro
05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
deadly china dolls is on amazon. Don't know who the distributor is btu even though I can't reccommned them, all of my last 6 or so videoasia movies have worked. Secret rivals 3, rebellious reign, the invincible armor, mantis in teh monkeys shadow, even that HORRIBLE shaw legends boxed set I have works fine. But anyway, I will check out outlaw brothers when i get a chance.

Also-I edited my last post, but, nothing too interesting there

shuaichiao
06-01-2006, 03:46 AM

Both parts come with it. Many dvd players will play vcd's but not all so you would have to check your owners manual to see if your does.

By going all Hally Barry I asume you mean exposing her chest? I don't remember that in a movie but I haven't scene all her movies. She did a book called feel and you get a few slight peeks there. There is also a behind the scenes of make that book video.

jethro
06-01-2006, 12:11 PM
I have 7 dvd players so I am not worried.

And I was really hoping chung was in a movie like naked killer or body weapon or something. Just like swordfish, I will watch it all teh way through. But good enough just to keep em covered and leave me dreaming about her even more.

jethro
06-04-2006, 12:35 PM
yukari oshima and then some other girl:mad: is in the red dress.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UX5dd8fW4Ac&search=yukari%20oshima%20

Lucy lui-this will most likely result in ehr winning the poll now.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gXcsmh3mpJU&search=lucy%20liu

Ziyi Zhang-yawn:p
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zBoyTQI81-Q&search=ziyi%20zhang

milla jovovich-my dazed and confused girl
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VtTczWV8GBA&search=milla%20jovovich%5C
Wow does that movie look like crap!!!!!!!!!!

Uma thurman-this movie looks better
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IF4PqaN2UW8&search=uma%20thurman

cynthia khan-one of my personal favorites when it comes to fighting
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dET34AMGTS0&search=cynthia%20khan

michelle yeoh-bond girl
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gf_Bw0a_WEQ&search=michelle%20yeoh

maggie cheung-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=abpKZYV3sac&search=maggie%20cheung wtf??????

Michelle rodriguez-she has ruined one of my favorite shows, well, her and the directors/writers. Last episode was good though, and I don't remember her beign in it:D
Here are the ladies who originally made the showe for me, and michelle
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yExmhNI2OPw&search=michelle%20rodriguez

SimonM
06-04-2006, 06:54 PM

If it's a pirate DVD I have seen as many as 4 movies on 1 disc. VCDs require 2 discs for 1 movie generally. But you wouldn't buy pirate DVDs would you? :p

jethro
06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
for the site that is on this thread it says parts 1 and 2, I am guessign(hoping) that means disc 1 and 2. And of course i would never buy pirate copies, though I am a raider's fan.

shuaichiao
06-05-2006, 02:29 PM
yukari oshima and then moon lee is in the red dress.

That's not Moon Lee.

jethro
06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
I thought she was looking a little too hto, and tall too. I think the clip had her name somewhere on it. She did an amazing stunt at the end, know who she is? And can you please get a me a good one of moon possibly? She is the only one I couldn't find a decent clip for.:(

What did ya think of the ziyi zhang commercial. :rolleyes:

shuaichiao
06-06-2006, 04:12 AM
I thought she was looking a little too hto, and tall too. I think the clip had her name somewhere on it. She did an amazing stunt at the end, know who she is? And can you please get a me a good one of moon possibly? She is the only one I couldn't find a decent clip for.:(

What did ya think of the ziyi zhang commercial. :rolleyes:

Funny comercial. Never would have guessed it was a visa ad. She's had better fight scenes though.

Couldn't find a fighting clip of Moon Lee. I would post one myself but I'm having problems with my video capture/edit software. Can't seem to figure it out. Anyway here is a clip that she appears in from Mr. Vampire

http://youtube.com/watch?v=suFRYY4KZUQ&search=mr%20vampire

jethro
06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
I honestly thought it was like the greatest thing ever:p

But it is so surprising to see that in china they have soap operas and commercials that can showcase some of the best action. I mean that is pretty much all their movies are and they still can't get enough, I love it!

btw-I started a movie called beauty investigators last night. I don't know if you read on the thread "kickboxer's tears", but this movie is WAY better. It is stupid as hell, but imagine it as the twins from vampire effect, and they can actually fight. Yeah. I only saw 30 minutes or so and then wasn't really paying attention so I shut it off. Why, cause Billy Chow shows up at the end and I didn't knwo what the hell was going on. But I was serioously laughing my ass off...

But I can't really decide now whether oshima or lee is better, I might actually have to go with the assasin:D

I will go ahead and share my thoughts with you when I see this thing all the way through.

Hey, thank for the Mr. Vampire clip!

jethro
06-07-2006, 10:59 AM
btw-I started a movie called beauty investigators last night. !

Good for one viewign only.

jethro
06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Iron Angels was renamed Midnight Angels by Xenon corp. several years ago, but I don't think it's available anymore. There was II and III as well. It's a pity that except for the Bruce Lee/Jet Li/Jackie Chan/Crouching Tiger stuff, most kung fu-type movies are only limited-releases for sale.

If you can find it, there's a video called Deadly China Dolls, a documentary about the female screen fighting stars, with interviews with Mao Ying, Michelle Yeoh, Judy Lee (Chia Ling), Yang Pan-Pan, Yukari Oshima, etc. I saw it many years ago. It's pretty interesting, but I cannot find it in DVD! I know it supposedly was available for a while but it was from a subsidiary of Videoasia that sells for like $5 a pop. I wouldn't buy it because I'd tried another DVD from that subsidiary and it simply did not work.

Midnite Angels 3

I found this as part iof the wutang collection. And man, I thought that death duel of kung fu was so bad it was good, I had no idea. Highly recommended:D

GeneChing
06-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Brenda Song might not be in the league of some of the other fine ladies on this thread, but she's a TKD black belt. She's also cute, a half-Thai, half-Hmong mix.

OK, honestly, I don't know that much about her at all beyond the article we just posted on our e-zine. See Shin Koyomada: LAST SAMURAI to Last Monk in WENDY WU by Craig Reid (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=669) to see who I'm talking about...

Zhijian Tsui
07-17-2006, 03:49 PM
For me,it would have to be Chingmy Yau.

jethro
09-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I saw So Close. Wow, what a great movie. It certainly could have been better in character development and some major holes in the story, but for Corey Yuen, this is a masterpiece. Then to top off a great movie, they put togethter one of the best final fights I have ever seen. Kurata is 56 years old? I don't freaking believe it!!!!!

jethro
10-11-2006, 03:56 PM
In the Line of Duty 5 is awesome. Cynthia Khan has 2 good fitghts with Billy Chow and one with the super hot real life undefeated kumite fighter Kim Penn!

moonlee85
10-13-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm like kungfu Moonlee, i'm very love Moonlee. Vote Moonlee:)

jethro
10-17-2006, 11:29 PM
You know I actually thought about coming on and to rig this thing but it took about a second to realize people would know that I am cheating. Dangit Moonlee85, make another post or do something to show you are not me. I would think you are me. My only question is how there are 84 other moon lee's on here.

Su Lin
10-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Can't believe you neglected to put me on your poll Jethro. :(

jethro
10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Su Lin from Twin Warriors in on there:confused:

Su Lin
10-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Me!!!!!!!!!!

jethro
10-19-2006, 01:46 PM
But I don't believe you are a girl:p

Su Lin
10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
But,but, but ,look , you can see me ^^^

jethro
10-19-2006, 02:53 PM
You don't look happy about having top put it up:p

golden arhat
10-19-2006, 03:10 PM
u will get your ass kicked
shes from lancashire

jethro
10-19-2006, 03:14 PM
She looks good but just not happy, don't beat me up.

Su Lin
10-20-2006, 01:25 AM
u will get your ass kicked
shes from lancashire

Hee hee! Yeah,watch it Jethro! I was trying to look mean ;)

Ronin22
10-20-2006, 10:02 AM
A few mentioned Karen Mok from "Black Mask" but what about the other girl in that flick, Françoise Yip, man she was sadistic and hot as hell. Another one to consider would be Kelly Hu from X-men i've read a few times she actually has her black belt.

moonlee85
01-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm very love Moonlee . Moonlee number one

moonlee85
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I have 7 dvd players so I am not worried.

And I was really hoping chung was in a movie like naked killer or body weapon or something. Just like swordfish, I will watch it all teh way through. But good enough just to keep em covered and leave me dreaming about her even more.

This is link film Moonlee http://youtube.com/watch?v=jY0CDQ9-wWo&mode=related&search=yukari%20oshima%20

GeneChing
03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Despite Z's work in so many martial arts films, I've never really bought her as a martial artist.

'Horsemen' Ride Online (http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/03/04/1321s460285.htm)
2009-03-04 15:40:19 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Tian Tian

'The Horsemen', a latest Hollywood horror film starring American actor Dennis Quaid and popular Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi will be released this Friday across North America.

The film was originally slated for release last August. After some scenes were reshot last year followed by dragged-on post-production, this 'troubled' film is to finally appear in theatres on March 6, 2009.

'The Horsemen' tells the tale of a recently widowed detective, played by Quaid, who is trying to come to terms with the recent death of his devoted wife. While investigating a spate of serial killings, the detective stumbles upon a shocking connection between himself and the suspects seemingly based on the Biblical prophecies concerning the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death.

A new image of Zhang playing the role of 'Kristin Spitz', a Chinese girl adopted by an American family, can now be found online.

According to media reports, the 20 million dollar film will probably face poor box office receipts due to its limited release in North America. But some predict the film may be quite appealing to the Chinese-language film market.

'The Horsemen' is the second movie in which Zhang uses English, although as some movie critics have pointed out she has retained an accent.

As can be seen from some spooky, dark and bloody stills circulated online, this horror film may well turn out to be one of the biggest challenges Zhang Ziyi has undertaken.

doug maverick
03-06-2009, 12:42 PM
colin chou is also making the horror move. his next two pictures(i forget their names) are horror films. maybe this is a starting trend. and i agree 100% never bought zhang as a martial artist or action star she shouldnt even be on this list.

Shaolinlueb
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
she could be on my list for famous women i want to give it to, but not martial artists. wait i jsut typed that out. oh nvm.....

Jimbo
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
If we're not only talking about Chinese females, I'd now have to add Jeeja (?) to the list. Her performance in Chocolate is very good, and as far as I know, it's her first movie; at least it's her first starring role. The fact that she isn't pretty (not to mention she's underage) should not disqualify her as a top female screen fighter.

Also, I'd like to add Meiko Kaji of the Lady Snowblood movies. She had a mean intensity that cannot be denied. You can see that Kill Bill 1 borrowed very heavily from the first Lady Snowblood movie, not to mention KB1 used LS's theme song, which was sung by Kaji herself.

I liked Azumi, but I don't think Aya Ueto much qualifies as a 'top female screen fighter', even though she inflicted a high body count.

As for Zhang Ziyi, I think she's good-looking and can act, and I like her as an actress, but I have a bit of difficulty considering her a good screenfighter. She just doesn't seem convincing to me. Of course, there are other women screenfighters with limited to no actual MA training, but many of them come off more convincing in fight scenes than Zhang, IMO.

I'm not sure if she was mentioned, but Hui Ying-Hung (Kara Hui) deserves a mention here. She was director Lau Kar-Leung's only top female fighter in his filmmaking team in the late '70s to early '80s. I was a bit surprised to learn she wasn't an actual MAist (in her own words), as she may have been involved in some of the most complex KF fight sequences ever, usually involving various classical weapons and such.