PDA

View Full Version : questions about blocks and kicks

nickV
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
when your are doing a press block and you do it over and over fast to stop puches do you keep on going in a circle to stop the puches or do i keep having my hand come from my hip everytime i do it over and over fast?when you do a hook block, and your hand comes out from your hips can the hook block also block when it coming out and instead o just having it go out the come in??

what part of my foot do i kick with for each of these kicks?front kick,turning kick,axe kick and crescent kick??are these kciks all kicks of shaolin?if someone kick and you lift up ypur legs to block the kick so it doesnt hit you,what is this called??thanks alot

MyDrills
05-24-2006, 06:22 PM
when your are doing a press block and you do it over and over fast to stop puches do you keep on going in a circle to stop the puches or do i keep having my hand come from my hip everytime i do it over and over fast?when you do a hook block, and your hand comes out from your hips can the hook block also block when it coming out and instead o just having it go out the come in??

what part of my foot do i kick with for each of these kicks?front kick,turning kick,axe kick and crescent kick??are these kciks all kicks of shaolin?if someone kick and you lift up ypur legs to block the kick so it doesnt hit you,what is this called??thanks alot

1. no, its combination of straight and semi-circle movement when you do the block over and over.

2. yup, you may do inward or outward, as long as you do stances on alternate direction of the block.

3. you may use the toe or ball of the foot for front kick, the rest are SE, but you must neven throw a high kick unless ur opponent is half concious. or else u put ur self in danger.

4. lift up leg to block kick, that a typical defense of muay thai or kickboxing.

i may be wrong.. but i hope this helps :)

nickV
05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
if you kick with your toe wont that break it?

yup, you may do inward or outward, as long as you do stances on alternate direction of the block.
confused??

when doing a frontal tiger what happens if it is not to your solar plexus that the person aims to hit you at,does this mean its useless for punches not to the solar plexus?is the frontal tiger a block or an attack??what part of your foot do you hit with when doing a crescent kick and are these kicks of shaolin??for a inward crescent kick do you hit with a different spot of the foot then in a outward crescent kick??thanks again

MyDrills
05-24-2006, 08:09 PM
toes can be conditioned for kicking.

nickV
05-25-2006, 07:25 AM
oh,what about the crescent kick?

PangQuan
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
inside cresent depends, instep, side of foot. or turn and hit with the bottom of the foot. outward is with the outside of foot.

kicking with toes:

u use toes on soft spots generally, groin, stomach, neck, armpits, etc... use the ball in a "toe kick" if its a hard spot. practice walking on your tip toes.

yes these kicks are all part of shaolin basic kick.

turning back kick, lead forward with your ass, make sure and spot your target before you turn and after you turn then connect with your heel. make sure your foot is virticle, toes pointed down, heel pointed up. do not turn this foot sideways, many people do. it then becomes more of a side kick, different mechanics and power generation qualities.

if by turning you mean a back spinning (as done often in one/two combo), then you can connect with the heel, or hook your leg more and connect with bottom heel to full foot.

axe kick, can be anywhere from calf down to heel.

dont forget sidekick :D my favorite. then stretch kick. heel kick and so on

tiger: if by tiger you mean a kick like this?
http://www.hungkyun.cz/pictures/mag01p2.jpg

nickV
05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
thanks and i wont forget the sidekick it is also one of my favs and also the jumping sidekick!the frontal tiger isnt a kick it is sort of a block and a attack.With the turning kick i meant the kick that is also known as the roundhouse kick,but now i know the answer to that question.

PangQuan
05-25-2006, 02:00 PM
tiger kick i think you mean:

check kick as well as a good knee kick. can be used effectively on the hips as well.

leg partially extended in front, toe pointed outward as well as knee.

nickV
05-25-2006, 05:10 PM
u have never heard of a tiger kick.

PangQuan
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
i have. the tiger kick i know is from tiger/crane, southern style.

what is our tiger kick is what i described above.

as also shown in the pic i posted. the pic is from tiger form, hung gar.

it is tiger kick.

dainos
05-27-2006, 04:35 PM
never heard of that one.
i would personally use a shin than using toes. much easier to condition and you can hit a lot hard with it. i am very expearanced with thease kind of kicks as their effectiveness. if i got it in the face with my buddys toes i would shrug it off.
but it was not with toes it was with a nice hard shin like a baseball bat.
it broke my jaw and i had a very high problilty of dieing. kicks to the head is very bad

MyDrills
05-28-2006, 06:42 PM
you got kicked on the head, that means ur defense is weak and u move slow.

practice more drills bro, practice ur footwork. so next time you can get out of the target.

PangQuan
05-29-2006, 09:37 PM
lots of people get kicked in the head.

the first time i sparred full contact, i was a novice. my opponent had several years ahead of me experience. in the match he kicked me in the head with a saber kick (roundhouse chinese style).

it spun me 180 and i fell on the ground. so i shake my head and get back up. a little bit later, he gets me with the same kick. teaching me more about my defense. this time it spins me a little but i keep my ground and continue sparring.

that was my first match, those blows stuck out to me as a learning experience. i bit through my mouthpiece and chipped a tooth on the first kick to the head. so i remember it every day. (the same guy broke 2 ribs years later,lol)

but those kicks were landed with the top of the foot. we utilize all points on the body as attacking tools. as well as defensive tools.

for the toes we use on things like the groin, but when you hear toe kick, usually it means the ball of the foot.