PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the benefits of Tai Chi that you have experienced?

imperialtaichi
05-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Greetings....

In another post, Tai Chi Bob made a good point. There're more to Tai Chi than fighting. So, instead of arguing over it, how about sharing some of the benefits you have experienced? On top of the usual health/fighting/meditative side, other more "out there" benefits such as making you a better saleperson, or a better manager etc and why? ;)

I think it could be interesting....

Cheers,
John

B-Rad
05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I defenitely think it made me a better sales person :) Being able to relax mind in addition to my body has made me a lot sharper mentally. Went back to school, and my college grades are heads and shoulders above what I was able to achieve in highschool. Math, writing, etc. everything is easy now. I guess that all has to do with the meditative side so I'm not sure that's what you're looking for :p

Talking about taiji has helped me a bit with the ladies too :D

imperialtaichi
05-25-2006, 12:07 AM
I defenitely think it made me a better sales person :)

Yes, I think so too. Because we are trained to "listen and adapt", it affects the way we deal with people too. If we are trained to "force and force through" like some martial art styles, we may develope a more forceful/egocentric personality.

Cheers,
John

Scott R. Brown
05-25-2006, 03:19 AM
I agree as well!!

To me it is Tai Chi princples that are the most valuable and benefical aspect. The physical movements are these principles applied to motion and self-defense. Consciously applying Tai Chi principles in movement assists us in internalizing the knowledge until the princples are spontanteously expressed in our daily lives!

TaiChiBob
05-25-2006, 05:31 AM
Greetings..

Good thread!

I am grateful for the heightened awarenesses derived from Taiji practice, one of the highest benefits.. the awareness serves me well in combat arts, in dealing with others in civil situations, and in general experiences with the world in which i live...

As a by-product of Taiji studies, i have developed a deep appreciation for the Taoist philosophies that support Taiji's principles.. i have no favor for "religious" trappings, but the philosophy is the most pragmatic and applicable that i have experienced..

Closely akin to awareness is the clarity that emerges from the "meditation in motion" aspect of Taiji.. learning to shut-down the thought processes and interact with a situation from a purely natural perspective is incredibly powerful.. the time it takes to conceptualize a movement and respond is the time it takes to get hurt.. the cultivated clarity illuminates the intentions of a combat situation such that the response is more like dancing with a partner than a conflict.. sticking and adhering becomes almost playful.. while the opponent is un-nerved by our casual ease of control..

I began my MA journey in 1964, i was introduced to Taiji in 1989.. i fought full-contact in the old PKA (Professional Karate Assn.).. but, it was Taiji that taught me the art and beauty of combat.. the unique condition where two people agree to meet on the field of battle without any accessories, body/mind/spirit engaged in the most pure contest between people.. Taiji taught me to appreciate loss as learning, to appreciate my opponents skill as well as my own.. On the street, Taiji defenses are so unorthodox and unexpected that opponents hardly know how to respond.. it is a thing of beauty..

As one who really gets into researching the Taiji experience, i have developed a remarkable understanding of the subtle workings of the human body.. A truly astounding adventure into the relationship between the physical sciences and our every-day experience of living.. an understanding of physics that allows me to have real hope for humanity and the human potential.. Yeah, Taiji is really good stuff...

In the end, Taiji is a life changing discipline.. i am almost intoxicated with the beauty of living as revealed through my Taiji studies.. i am empowered with the confidence inspired by Taiji training, knowing i have a real fighting chance in almost any circumstance (firearms and crack-heads still scare me, though)..

I am humbled by the experiences i have with quality Taiji people, they are some of the most inspiring folks around.. Many of the people that post here have contributed to my wealth of spirit and Taiji perspectives.. thanks!

So, there are some of the benefits i have gained from my Taiji Journey.. some of you will find contention with these offerings, which is appropriate (Yin/Yang).. some of you will resonate with similar experiences, equally appropriate.. but, we're all in it together.. so, Peace be with you, and if you find no favor in that, i wish you well in the conflict..

Be well..

yangyang
05-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi Bob, good stuff indeed!! I assume you teach in Orlando. I have a friend who lives up there as well, and I will inform him about you when he has the time.

Also, I have another friend who teaches down in Stuart, but I think that's a few hours away from you. I was wondering if you knew him or his school?

Here's the link: his name is Dmitri

http://www.geocities.com/taichifl/

As for me, TCC has helped me in some ways that aren't always easily seen at first. Little by little I seem to gain more awareness of people and their energies (positive/negative moods). I live with a teenage girl and let me tell you they are not easy to live with (they know everything - lol), and I believe TCC has helped me even when dealing with her and all the stuff that goes with it. I've also recently did a little test with a boxer friend of mine, and he found that he could not keep his balance when we came in contact with each other. I find that very cool. :) What more could one person want from a martial art... Health, Self Defense, and principles to live your life by. It's all I need. :)

SPJ
05-25-2006, 07:57 AM
relaxation.

more tensile strength around all joints.

slowly shifting weight between knees and steps.

feeling and sensing the distribution of Jin all over your body.

in short, lube all the joints, sensing your own Jin and weight shifting.

as the classics said:

the difference of a mini meter is missing by 1000 miles.

:)

chud
05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I like that I always feel better after doing my Taiji then I did before hand. It seems to 'lube my joints' as SPJ said.

I like the fact that I can practice Taiji into my old age.

Also, I seem to get more out of it than the external styles I used to practice.

qiphlow
05-27-2006, 03:47 PM
better sleep
better sex
better mood
better balance
i can eat alot and not get too fat
better attention span
more focus on the task at hand
my hands are always warm
more empathy
general feeling of ease and connectedness
more confidence

imperialtaichi
05-27-2006, 06:22 PM
And I definitely work better too...

There are certain work in dentistry that's very dull, that I do not like to do.

Seems like with more Tai Chi training my mind is becoming less "personal" and less egocentric, so now I don't mind those work as much, and stay focused with a calmer mind and getting better results.

Cheers,
John

brucereiter
05-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Greetings....

In another post, Tai Chi Bob made a good point. There're more to Tai Chi than fighting. So, instead of arguing over it, how about sharing some of the benefits you have experienced? On top of the usual health/fighting/meditative side, other more "out there" benefits such as making you a better saleperson, or a better manager etc and why? ;)

I think it could be interesting....

Cheers,
John

hi ya'all,

fighting fighting fighting ... lol ...

other than the usual answers. for me i have a very confrontational job. lots of egos and arguing. the practice of taijiquan has helped me to deflect arguments and to create win-win situations by reminding my self not to use yang against yang and to be more yielding while still standing up for myself/my clients ... the tai chi principals can carry over into many parts of life. it is important to remember as we learn how to fight we are also learning how not to have to fight. but i do love to practice fighting ...

best,

b

imperialtaichi
05-29-2006, 05:12 AM
One of my students is one of the leading acupuncturist in Australia.

He claimed that since he is doing Tai Chi, his acupuncture technique has improved, and he's getting better results too.

Quite funny when he does the Single Whip. He holds his hook hand as if he is holding an acupuncture needle ;)

Cheers,
John

SPJ
05-29-2006, 06:33 AM
In the old time, some people would pick a good spot to practice Tai Chi.

Such as the temple of the heaven, where it is said to connect to the heaven.

Tian Di Ren. heaven, earth and people.

We breath in and out with air connected with the heaven. We move our steps and root with the earth.

In greater sense, heaven is the universe, while the earth is everything on the planet.

So the sole purpose of practicing Tai Chi is to connect us with the nature.

We may harness the life force or energy and store in our Dan Tian and release it.

In short, since we are part of the nature, we are to be in harmony with the nature.

Body, mind and soul.

:)

Ray Pina
05-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Better mechanics, more power.

cha kuen
06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
GOod idea for a topic...

I dont do much tai chi, but i do chi kung and so far....my energy is better, my neck/backpain is slowly gettin better, vision getting sharp, the colors appear brighter, my mood is better, my "shen" - eyes look more open, better, facial complexsion......i tend to care a lil less about what other people think of me... hmmm....

and I can only imagine the things to come....and when i do standing chi kung, the images infront of me kinda move around, like i'm seeing through it or soemthing, random times throughout the day, i'[ll feel qi moving here n there, hands feel like their blowing up inside...feel stronger.

DarinHamel
06-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Benefits off the top of my head:

1-Stopped walking into wall corners and stubbing my toes.
2-Realized that the increased balance made me not scared of hieghts anymore.
3-The full body coordination learned from Tai Chi has made me better at all sports.
4-Osteoarthritis pain and clunking in my hips went away.
5-Back pain from tank accident injury went away.
6-Liver problems in remission.
7-Lost 85lbs.
8-Met some of the best people in Tai Chi classes.

The last one is my favorite! The rest were mostly first and second year accomplishments. I am in my 18th year.