PDA

View Full Version : Info on Chris Chan?

Self
05-25-2006, 09:23 PM
I am moving up to Oregon, specifically Portland, and was wondering if any of you guys have any info on Chris for me. I learn a more contemporary method of Wing Chun from a student of Eddie Chong in Sacramento and, from what I hear, Chris is very traditional. I really like where I am right now but things change, as most know, and I really could use some input so as to decide whether I should hook up with Chris in Portland or not. Thanks a bunch guys.

-Aaron

ChangHFY
05-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi, self. Hows everything going? Hows Chong Laoshi? Ive had the good fortune to meet Chong Laoshi quite a few times. Hes a great Sifu. Anyways as far as Chris Chan, I havent personally met him. But I know quite a few that have. They have only said good things about him. Plus from what I hear his skill is pretty incredible. Hes definately a guy to check out. I also heard hes a pretty traditional Sifu.
Hope this helps.

take care,
zai jian

Self
05-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Everything is going just fine and Sifu is fine too. That is good news about Chris. It would be bad if he had a bad rep, though my current teacher is not a fan of his. I am also not sure about how 'traditional' I want to get but I will give it a shot.:D Thanks for the info.

-Aaron

brody
05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi Self,

I'm surprised that one of Sifu Eddie Chong's student (your teacher) would talk unhighly of other Sifu's since Sifu Chong himself always tells his students not to bad mouth anyone. There are only 2 people authorized to teach in the Sacrarmento Area using Sifu Chong's name. Is your teacher in Folsom or Granite Bay? I know them both. I'd just give them a hard time :)

Sifu Chong has told me that Chris Chan's Wing Chun is different from his Hong Kong Wing Chun in the fact that he uses dynamic tension. However, if you've learned the Pan Nam Futshan Wing Chun from your teacher (a student of Sifu Chong) you'd know that it too uses dynamic tension. Point being, check out Chris Chan and see if his school is something you like. Sifu Chong has a few students who once trained with Chris Chan and they say he is a very good Sifu and has a lot to offer anyone willing to learn.

Hope this helps.

Self
05-28-2006, 09:51 PM
My teacher was located in Roseville but our host school changed locations so we moved to Folsom. Mr. Adam Hamlin's Folsom Karate Academy is now our host school and we have a good ten square feet in the back where the six of us train. We all know the benefit of making such adjustments.
As far as I know about my Wing Chun method, we are a contemporary form sometimes using methods of Pan Nam and Yip Man. At Sifu Chong's, I might ask around and see if Alex or Spencer know anything about Mr. Chan. I will check out Mr. Chan and thank you very much.

Aaron's Happy-o-Meter [==============={}]

-Aaron