PDA

View Full Version : Taoist Retreat-What book would you take?

DarinHamel
05-31-2006, 06:37 PM
I am going camping from Friday to Tuesday and I am only taking one book. I want to make it a Taoist retreat and just want to take one book. At first I was thinking the Tao Teh Ching but I have read it so many times I just about know it by heart. Maybe I should memorize it?

Last time I took a long weekend camping trip I took the Gita and my rosary. This one is going to be pure Taoism. A little Taiji, a little reading, a lot of swatting at bugs.

So what one book would you guys take on a Taoist retreat?

neilhytholt
06-01-2006, 01:17 AM
How about this one? "Seven Taoist Masters : A Folk Novel of China"

TaiChiBob
06-01-2006, 04:19 AM
Greetings..

Chronicles of Tao: by Deng Ming Dao

Tao, the Way Beyond Seeking: by Alan Watts

The Book, on the taboo against knowing who you are: by Alan Watts

Alan Watts is perhaps the single best author for translating Eastern thought into Western concepts.. clear, concise and very readable.. The Tao of Philosophy is a well crafted journey examining the paths of differing philosophies and how they lead to Taoist thought..

Be well..

Sang Feng Fan
06-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Perhaps, bring a blank journal, let yourself enjoy filling the blank pages.

DarinHamel
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Oooooo.....Good one.

PangQuan
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM

i second that.

if even that at all.

do you need written word?

dwid
06-02-2006, 03:15 PM
i second that.

if even that at all.

do you need written word?

I'm with PangQuan. Maybe the fewer distractions the better. You can read any time. Focus on being present and just experiencing your undistracted self.

I can honestly say, silent retreats with no communication, no reading, etc... are rough, but also powerfully rewarding.

DarinHamel
06-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Very nice retreat but I cut it short after I realized how much I like showers. It didn't matter when I was younger but I must be getting old.

I took Parzival by the way.

PangQuan
06-05-2006, 12:24 PM
nice.

im glad that you enjoyed yourself.

showers are a luxury that is hard to go without once you build a life around them:D

Repulsive Monkey
06-19-2006, 02:20 PM
How about no books at all, one wouldn't want to confuse them for the genuine practice of the retreat. Why read about other's taoist expeeriences when you may be in awe of the experience you may be having yourself?

Instead of a book how about taking a pen and some empty pages for yourself?