PDA

View Full Version : What style

Rory
05-12-2001, 07:50 AM
I want to take tai chi. I just moved and had previously taken Hung gar for 7 years and want to go with a internal style I have looked at internal schools and all teach martial applications the trouble is wich style Yang,Wu not hao, chen. The yang is from a diffrent lieage than yang cheng fu so the martial side is still intact.

Rory
06-08-2001, 01:54 AM
hello

Daniel Madar
06-09-2001, 05:55 AM
Since I've been acting like a jerk--kind of--on your other post, I'll answer this one by asking a couple of questions.

Before I do, I'll say I currently do Wu Jien Quan and Hao taiji. Of the two, I prefer WJQ to fight with.

If I had to chose between Wu (JQ), Chen and Yang, with only minimal experience in IMA, I would go for Chen. This is simply because to the outside observer, chen stylists tend to retain their martial tradition better than other styles.

I currently am completely content with WJQ and would not switch to another style for martial purposes. This is unconditional, as my teacher knows all the major styles, and the area I live in has a number of teachers who run the gamut.

Why? Part of it is lineage. Despite debates to the contrary, lineage is at least mildly important. Particularly with the "Major" styles, chen, wu and Yang, there are a wide variety of technical differences based on government interference, etc.

The second part is, hmm, how to say, Personality?

I did Hao style for 4 years before I did Wu Jien Quan, and the instant I did WJQ I felt comfortable, and was able to make leaps that had me leading the class very quickly. It just fit me.

As a result, I suggest you look into the lineages of the teachers, which it seems you've done. After that, try all three. See which one feels most comfortable. If you want to use taiji to learn how to fight, finding what is comfortable to you is possibly the most important thing. And consider yourself lucky you have all those options open to you.

Peace.

Merciless is Mercy.

Rory
06-09-2001, 06:39 AM
I too practice wu jein chuan style Its just by sayng that people give me more anwsers. What is your lineage who teaches you is your martial tradition intact? Thanks for being nice

Daniel Madar
06-09-2001, 07:00 AM
I study under Yao Pei Jing, aka Jane Yao. She was an indoor student of Ma Liu Liang and Hao Sao Liu.

She teaches each student according to their potential and focus. For some she teaches the martial ideas, for others, it's just for health. How far her students go is up to them.

Merciless is Mercy.

walkthecircle
06-09-2001, 08:09 AM
I say it doesn't matter the style you choose as long as it's a complete system and they encourge you to always ask questions.

If your confident in your sifu and it feels right. And you've spoken with various students and ask their backgound...and still feel a green light. You have your answer.

Yang, chen, hao, pa kua, hsing yi....they all have had masters that have proved their art in one way or another.

How completely the techniques become ingrained into your subconscious and become a part of you reflexive nature is the key.

Good luck on your search...and give honor to the art.

dre_doggX
06-12-2001, 10:12 PM
Yang style helps you understand the thoeries and were the powers come from. but I like Chen style more. wu style is in the middle because is founder studied both Yang and Chen style

Andre Lashley

MaFuYee
06-12-2001, 11:20 PM
decide which style to take based on the quality of instruction... except, don't take chen style. - it sucks.

muhahahhahaa!!!

Only in America do we have drive up ATM's with braile on them.

unclaimed effort
06-21-2001, 06:12 PM
I agree with you on finding a comfortable sifu yet i'm having a similar problem with choosing on style anyways, because my teacher teaches tai chi(chen, wu{not sure which one}, yang, sun, fu) hsing-i, and bagua. So it depends on whether your sifu decided to take the path in which to focus on one martial art,or teach different arts seperately.

I can be like one of those philosophers who hide everything in poems, but instead I can tell you the true secret of martial arts in one word:

PRACTICE!

GLW
06-21-2001, 07:06 PM
No matter which way you go, you will have to soften up a lot coming from a Hung Gar background.

Chen is probably the easiest style to leap to..but will require you to open your joints and power generation a lot more and faster than the others.

Of the 5 major styles, Chen has the martial aspect more intact...in general.

The only real problem I have with Chen is in two areas: Some of the folks who do Chen can get to be really closed minded on any other approach. Also, Chen has a way at lower or beginner levels of 'infecting' everything you do in all other martial arts. You do Hung Gar, it begins to look like Chen style, you do Yang style, it begins to look like Chen....so it is harder to keep the stylistic aspects clean.