PDA

View Full Version : can kung fu be considered a sport?

jethro
06-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Now I know kung fu is for one's self and not for competition, but with wushu coming to the olympics, I think this will help me in particular. I work for espn and they do not allow any websites except espn, bestbuy and a couple of other useless ones. This site is freaking awesome and I want to stay . I believe kung fu can be considered a sport in many ways so help come up with some good points when I step up to the plate with my boss. And don't worry, I am not dan patrick, but have like the lowest job you can next to janitor, so it's kung fu mag or I raise hell here. I don't want to say anything really bad about my company cause some a-hole told me they are tracking all this stuff, but you can think of bad words without me writing them down. So insert them where you think they need them in my scribbling up above. The fact that wushu and other styles are alwyas havign competitions is my only leg to stand on. So it is a very busy day here but try to list some good points that i could make to my boss when he decides to bring the hammer down on me.

PangQuan
06-01-2006, 01:11 PM
is boxing a sport?

yeah. why? because its a competative world where specialized people compete against each other for title and rank.

kung fu totally has that.

san shou is one such area of kung fu. then you have forms competitions which are as much sport as figure skating or any other dynamic performance competative sporting event.

the areas of competition in the kung fu world are dominated by those who train for those areas, thus creating a sport where specialzed people compete, just like boxing.

espn airs kick boxing. why not san shou? or do they? and if so, they proved your argument for you.

Royal Dragon
06-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Let me see if I understand this, you are trying to convince your boss to allow a website on company computers for the sole purpose of YOU screwing off on such site and wasteing company time instead of working?

Good Luck with that!! :p

PangQuan
06-01-2006, 01:21 PM
jeez man, its obviously for mature professional research reasons, regarding this wonderfully growing international sport of chinese origin.

Banjos_dad
06-01-2006, 01:23 PM
"kung fu is the grandfather of asian martial arts"

INCLUDING the K-1 fights which so many people watch over and over on ESPN. And the "full contact karate" or whatever(kickboxing w long pants & boxing gloves)?
ESPN has shown forms and breaking competition also.

How is kung fu NOT a sport, but drag racing, NASCAR and even boat racing a sport? How t-f is bass fishing a sport but not kung fu?

your bosses ought to be happy enough you're not looking at bizarre-*ss sexual fetish sites... i doubt anyone has to worry about a gang of armored cops with submachine guns storming the ESPN campus and seizing the servers because of you reading two KFMO'ers flaming each other over who could kick who's *ss, using what method.

I was also going to point out, who is more athletic: a dedicated martial artist or a major league baseball player?? but with the steroid era players it's not as clear cut a distinction lol.

Banjos_dad
06-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Jethro: everything else aside, is there a way we can turn this around so that you get your access at work to KFMO, and we all get the opportunity to watch san da competitions a couple times a month maybe?
like something along the lines of-- you are working this huge untapped motherlode of people who will tune in to ESPN to watch real san da / san shou type hard contact kung fu competitions?

because i would certainly watch. even the commercials ;) <-- that's where the money is, right??
good luck with everything anyway. would getting a proxy account help?

man. do they even let you use google?? dammn. fascists!! trying to keep you down j/k

jethro
06-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Phone Post. I Took Day Off. Sick Of Nonsense Rules. Amazon Is Other Site I Go To, Can Understand Why They Dont Want Me There. I Was Very Prolific. But With Good Fu Discussion Going On Here Regulary, I Dont See Why I Cant Discuss The Root Of A Fighting Style I Am Watching On The Plasma At Work! I Have Many Points Myself But Your Input In This Short Amout Of Time Has Helped Very Very Much.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
you tried to post in all caps but bot owned by the caps censor.

jethro
06-01-2006, 03:51 PM
It Is Hard To Look At. I Think You Should Give This Thread A Bad Rating Gda. ACTUALLY I JUST FOUND THE ALL CA7S BUTTON.

jethro
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
It Is Hard To Look At. I Think You Should Give This Thread A Bad Rating Gda. ACTUALLY I JUST FOUND THE ALL CA7S BUTTON.

Oso
06-01-2006, 06:54 PM
because i would certainly watch. even the commercials

don't nay say the commercials.

not that I watch them but...when the hell do you refill if it's not during the commercials?????????

;)

jethro
06-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Word magically came to me tonight without even asking that kung fu is considered sport and we are allowed to view this site at work. GOD DANG RIGHT!!!!!!!!!
I feel so alive now. I have put it off for like 3 weeks since I first planned on going and now am gonna get off my ass and go to the dragon arts school tomorrow. I will be able to research some more on ralek and read the rest of his great works, discuss kung fu even though I don't even know what BJJ is, and share my experiences:rolleyes: , it'll be great. I have been working out and streching for 3 weeks now and feel I may be able to go to school and live through it a couple of nights. I mean I can reach my toes for the first time evr in my life, seriously. But if I don't go up there tomorrow and at least get some info on all styles they teach and prices, I say sevenstar should ban be for beign a loser who talks about how he wants to study kung fu and never has done a fooking thing about it. You people better think of some mean ass things to say to me if I don't go. Or else I will become hieronim and give you quotes like "you need to master one style and learn to beat all other styles with that one". I don't want to be someone who wants to get dvd's from chu casue he has become a legend in 2 weeks time here, I want to go to various schools and find the right style for me. I want to... I should probably stop, just a little excited, that's all:D

Banjos_dad
06-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Way to go on the kung fu victory. psshhaw, "kung fu's not a sport." hah. fighting is the original sport. it is competitive and exciting to watch lmao.
:D

Oso,
if they had a lot of the miller lite commercials (or whatever it is , lol, it could be floor wax they're pitching) where the two babes get into a wrestling fight, then yeah, i would watch all the commercials. In fact I would keep a beer cooler and a bucket by the tv so i would never have to leave. lol