PDA

View Full Version : I finally received the new issue of KFTC...

SevenStar
06-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I got mag out of the mailbox this morning, and naturally, the shuai chiao article was the first one I hurried to look at. It was a good article, but I noted a few things in it that are topics of debate here and among some traditionalists that I know:

1. the author worked as a bouncer and noted that the clinch is a range that everyone should have experience in, as most fights cross the clinch range at some point. I've found this to be true in my work in the same field.

2. Pu En Fu cross trained in western boxing and felt that "combining the grace of grappling with the speed of boxing will create the most efficient fighter"

3. Pu en fu's training regimen was more like a sport fighter's reginmen than a tma regimen.

Three Harmonies
06-02-2006, 07:02 AM
It has been my experience that the clinch is essential in training. I do not care what specialty someone has, the clinch cannot be avoided.
Pu En Fu's public teachings were more focused on the sport aspect as he was developing some top end fighters, but he also spent a lot of time teaching those like my teacher who were more interested in actual street defesne than comeptition. He focused more on fast throws (kuai chiao) for my teacher.
Pu was certainly ahead of his time. Cross training, especially in western arts, was frowned upon by many "traditional" masters, but in the end he (and his students) came away with a better understanding of the realities of combat and engagement.
Glad you liked the piece. Let me know if you have further questions.
Cheers
Jake :D
three_harmonies@hotmail.com
www.threeharmonies.com

Oso
06-02-2006, 07:47 AM
It was a good article, but I noted a few things in it that are topics of debate here and among some traditionalists that I know:

only the truly uninformed...or just plain stubborn.

we really do need a FAQ dedicated to this dead horse and only if a topic REALLY adresses something new, should the thread be kept.

of course, this forum may die w/o the continuing idiotic debate on traditional versus modern training.

-N-
06-02-2006, 08:18 AM

we really do need a FAQ dedicated to this dead horse and only if a topic REALLY adresses something new, should the thread be kept.

of course, this forum may die w/o the continuing idiotic debate on traditional versus modern training.
Hehehe... no kidding.

Here's a traditional teacher who had no problem with combining western and chinese methods.

http://www.jiangschool.com/jiang.htm

David Jamieson
06-02-2006, 08:46 AM
I know a couple of sifu who use an approach that marries modern methods to traditional.

This approach is known as "not throwing out the baby with the bathwater"

My personal experience with other people is that the ones who don't have any significant time in, or null experience with decent trad ma are generally the ones who make the most noise about how useless it is.

It's usually a dead giveaway that they don't know. lol

on the other hand, my personal experience with people has shown me that some people taht come from traditional backgrounds have a little more delusion than those who come from teh straight up mma approach. As well, there are the taebo types that figure cause they got 3 hours on the mat over three classes at the mma club, they can now dominate any traditional martial art.

I just chalk that up to typical lack of wisdom and experience though. They'll smooth out eventually, I think everyone does and will gain a better perspective with time and experience. stuff like this can't be rushed and if you try to rush, you will fail and have to start over again. regardless of what training path you take.

SevenStar
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM

bah. This really wasn't meant to stomp on the dead horse. It's just discussion about an interesting article.

Oso
06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
not what I meant. but, it could easily go there. DJ is saying pretty much the same thing he, and others, have said before. Someone is likely to come in and disagree and there we go again.

maybe I've just been here too long. I mean, how many times should we see the Delucia fight vid again with the same comments.

my ish hasn't come yet. :(

yenhoi
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
He only did it because Bruce Lee did it.

Thats why everyone does everything..

:eek:

Oso
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
just realized my recent move is probably slowing up delivery.

sneaked a peak at B&N when I stopped to pick up a new book.

Pong Lai needs to get on the ball...there's two people in this issue I know:

Mr. Three Harmonies himself Jake Burroughs and Chris Heintzman.

Need to get Kevin working on an article and maybe I can get a guest appearance. :p

Three Harmonies
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Kevin will be contributing several articles coming up in issues of the Mantis Quarterly, as will I (actually a couple articles on Liuhe Fighting theory, and a translation or two of Ma Han Qin's.). If you are not already, you should get on board www.mantisquarterly.com

Cheers
Jake :)

Oso
06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
uh, 'Xiong', baby. Xiong.

I mostly lurk there since I don't have that much to contribute mantis wise. Last time I posted there was in the debate over how big the ring size should be for 'mantis san da'. Which was just the same thing I said in Cleveland.:rolleyes:

I know about those...I'm talking the slicks though. We need some high color glossies of Kevin B. tossing Oso/Xiong around.