PDA

View Full Version : modified vs. traditional taijiquan

NorthernMantis
05-12-2001, 08:58 PM
I was wondering what are the differences in traditional and mofidied taiji?What your oppinions were on them?Are the qualities in self defense the same or different?

"Always be ready"

NorthernMantis
05-19-2001, 03:56 AM
I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the subject.My knowledge on tai chi is very poor.Any info would be appreciated.

"Always be ready"

Xebsball
05-19-2001, 09:35 AM
I know very little about taijiquan, but i think that the modified are health only while the tradicional are for health and fighting (wich is why its called taijiQUAN).

-------------------------
"Better have a chicken tomorrow than eggs today."

NorthernMantis
05-19-2001, 09:24 PM
Hey thanks for the info.Do you know any sites that offer good background on taijiquan?

"Always be ready"

sam58
05-20-2001, 12:42 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the modified forms are just a cut-down version of traditional forms. China did this so there would be less time needed to preform a set. Even in the modified forms, there are martial applications. Heck, even if you broke it down to one posture, there would be a martial application.

Here is a page that has a TON of Taiji links! http://www.scheele.org/lee/tcclinks.html.
I have just started to go through them systematicly, but have only gotten through the "a's".

Sam

Look, and it can't be seen.
Listen, and it can't be heard.
Reach, and it can't be grasped.

NorthernMantis
05-23-2001, 02:17 AM
Hey thanks for replying

"Always be ready"