PDA

View Full Version : A question for all Sifu's

hskwarrior
06-02-2006, 09:08 AM
I have a question for all the sifu's here on the forum.

If your student, or students talked to you in a way that you feel is disrespectful, or even insulting, how would you handle that?

would you reprimand the student? would you ask the student to leave? Or tell him or her to come back when they feel they can show you respect?

Do any of you speak to your sifu's any old way you wish?

Thanks for any future input.

HSK

Shaolindynasty
06-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Put him in his place. Beat his ass then tell him to get the **** out

hskwarrior
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
that's what i thought. thanks shaolin dynasty.

hey doesn't your lineage have Fong Yu Shu in it?

godzillakungfu
06-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I was known by others as abbrasive. If you were an ___ I would let you know. If you doubted my ability, I let you prove me wrong.

I always tried to get to the root of the problem first. People have bad days just like instructors. So, I'd gauge if they were venting or sincerely felt they way they were speaking and respond in kind.

One thing I didn't allow was arguing in front of other students. If you questioned me or a technique ask me after class.

CLFNole
06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I think this depends a bit on what type of relationship the sifu establishes with the students to begin. For example my first sifu Lee Koon Hung was real old school and more of a father-like figure to us. He pushed us hard and was strict in an "old school" type of way. He didn't really hang out with us.

Now my current sifu Li Siu Hung is more laid back and we have a much more friendly/brotherly type of relationship. We practice together and hang out sometimes.

The answer here depends on the relationship while talking disrespectfully to your sifu is bad to begin with if you have an open friendly relationship the student might feel it more comfortable to talk like you would with friends, whereas with the strict relationship you wouldn't consider it.

It all depends on the situation, but if the student is very disrespectful you can do the following:

1) nothing (not a great idea)
2) suspend the student for a period of time
3) kick the student out of the school
4) kick the crap out of the student (also not a great idea)

Its all up to you.

hskwarrior
06-02-2006, 01:26 PM
clfnole,

since you had a taste of both sides let me ask you this.

because of this relationship you have with Li Siu Hung, after hearing about your past one with LKH, do you for one........respect your current sifu in a total different manner than you would LKH?

because Li Siu Hung is so laid back, do your prefer this type of sifu or the old school type like LKH.

See, i'm a combo of both. when it comes to training i am a perfectionist. i'm a virgo. I don't allow my students to keep doing something wrong and stop them each time until they get it right. yeah i can say i'm rough on my students, but if i wasn't they wouldn't be as good as they are after only a year. I've seen other students and compared the time between my students and theirs and notice a big difference.

but after class, i'm always down to go drinking or just hang out with them. after class i try to turn off the "sifu" in me and just chill.

Wong Ying Home
06-02-2006, 01:45 PM
In my situation, I would take the student one side quietly and say to them
"If I spoke to my Sifu Like that I would have been battered" be gratefull that I am not my SiFu ! and a little more understanding but don't do it again !

If they did it again, then I would repremand them where others could hear

Third time I would say...go away and only come back when you can treat me with the same respect that I treat you with

CLFNole
06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Frank:

It is a good question. I like both and try to think of them each as their own person. In the beginning I would always compare Li Siu Hung to his brother and it is really not fair to do so.

I kind of like the old school way a bit more but one thing Li Siu Hung has taught me is to motivate and push myself. Lee Koon Hung used to push us and make us practice after teaching 2-3 classes and I got used to this. Li Siu Hung liked for us to push ourselves, which in retrospect has benefited me greatly as I have gotten older.

To me it is better to look at each person stand alone rather than compare.

tattooedmonk
07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I was known by others as abbrasive. If you were an ___ I would let you know. If you doubted my ability, I let you prove me wrong.

I always tried to get to the root of the problem first. People have bad days just like instructors. So, I'd gauge if they were venting or sincerely felt they way they were speaking and respond in kind.

One thing I didn't allow was arguing in front of other students. If you questioned me or a technique ask me after class.this is definately true for me as well...

chasincharpchui
07-01-2006, 06:49 PM
juss make them do horse stance

my sifu is real cool, we chill out all the time

doesnt mean i can be disrespectful.

he's always my sifu, in or out of class, even tho he prefers me to call him by his name outside of class there is still a level of respect.

dainos
07-02-2006, 09:19 AM
my sifus and si gung i dont use their tittles. if they thought i did not respect someone they would give me push ups. in fact any of the seinors would do that. i really dont care if they do. to me my sifus arent my sifu. they are my si hing. my sigung is sifu to me. i thik he think himself as sifu to me not si gung.others higher rank to me call him his tittle. people lower then me call him his tittle. but i dont feel like i need to.
he is very personal with his students. he has got a sense of humor that many people dont understand. i understand it but i cant do it myself. he is one of my favorite people to be around so i hope everything goes well and he can come back soon.

milojai
07-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Heres 1 way & then it is out of you hands!

The shaolin temple & the army had a simualr way
& quite amusing way to deal with it!Hence the problem
never come into play a 2dn time!
Have the 1-2 that did the disrespect stand calmly just in front of the class!
Now the fun part--The class had to do 50 push ups--then TELL THE CLASS 2
standing were generuos enough to donate this undu time as the
took it from you!Now you share it with the class & they are now
clear & next time the class does 100 push ups with them on the side!

WITH HONOR --COMES HONOR--WITH DIS HONOR COMES

DISREPECT--DISILLUTION--DIASSOSIATION!

NOW I BET NOT MANY ARE WILLING TO 100 PUSH UPS!

Gowgee
07-03-2006, 06:09 PM
I have a question for all the sifu's here on the forum.

If your student, or students talked to you in a way that you feel is disrespectful, or even insulting, how would you handle that?

would you reprimand the student? would you ask the student to leave? Or tell him or her to come back when they feel they can show you respect?

Do any of you speak to your sifu's any old way you wish?

Thanks for any future input.

HSK

My question to you would be - what moduk education are you as sifu, and your senior students as sihing providing for your students?

Most people coming to learn a martial art enter the gates with good intentions, so it is up to you to provide clear guidance on how they should progress along the path.

David Jamieson
07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
why bother with someone who doesn't want to be there?

just let them go.

Shadow Skill
07-06-2006, 01:23 PM
It all depends on what exactly was said or done. if they are talking while instructions are being given push ups for the hole class, we learn kung fu as a class, we get corrected as a class.
if the student thinks his skill has grown to the point where he feels better than Sifu than show him how much they have to learn still:D

mantid1
07-15-2006, 10:34 AM
It all depends. I do not give my students the opportunity to be disrespectfull in class because I try to keep it in constant motion. I dont like to bs during class just work. I have had a few cases that the student was disrespectfull. The way I handle it depends on the age of the student. If it is a teen I will jump on them tell them they are doing wrong and why and sometimes pusups. If it is an adult I handle it a little differently. The last guy I took to the side and ask if he noticed how all of the other students stopped and looked at him when he questioned me. I told him that was because they respect me and do not like it when people treat me that way. I explained to him that it is important for the other students to like him since they will be the ones helping him along they way. If they dont he would be out in the cold.

I have had some problems with issues not involving kung fu. So, I do not discuss things other than kung fu with students anymore. I get to the school and go to my office. When I go to the floor I am teaching kung fu. When I am done I leave or go back to my office. Very little small talk. It has saved me a lot of heart ache over the last year. I wish I would have learned to do this a long time ago.