PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan

nickV
06-06-2006, 02:43 PM
hi,if there are any jackie chan fans then what is your 10 favourite jackie movies???What kind of kung fu does jackie chan do?

PangQuan
06-06-2006, 02:51 PM
drunken master for sure

my fave jackie movies are the ones he directed.

read this book

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/iamjackiechan/

jethro
06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
To name a few more that I enjoyed DM, DM2, Project A(chinese version only), supercop, Police Story(get chinese version, impossible to find original, also, do not buy "crime force"), dragons forever, wheels on meals, Hand of Death(not the main guy, but he is very good in this), first strike(for the ladder fight and the underwater fu), and do not miss out on snake in eagle's shadow.

GeneChing
06-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Young Master (http://www.martialartsmart.net/movjacchanyo.html) is my fav Jackie flick. It's got the best choregraphy, lots of complex fight scenes, and catches Jackie in his fighting prime.

But I got to add that the coolest ones are the new ones that haven't been released in the USA: New Police Story (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=572) & The Myth (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658). You got to get those on DVD and they'll make you the life of the party, assuming that party is talking about Jackie Chan.

jethro
06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
don't scare me like that. I place the 2 fights with benny the jet right behind that whoel movie. And admit it gene, your favorite part of the movie is when teh credits role and jackie sings that wonderful song:p

ChangHFY
06-21-2006, 02:45 PM
My favorite Jackie Chan movies are:
The Myth
The new police story
Dragons Forever
shaolin wooden men
Snake and Crane arts of Shaolin
Dragon Fist
Drunken Master 1 and 2

I cant wait to see the new Jackie movies either.

zuiquan1
06-24-2006, 09:16 AM
jackie's earlier stuff from hong kong are my favorites, specifically Drunken master, snake in Eagles shadow, Young Master, the lucky stars series, the police story series and every other Jackie chan movie for that matter. He is defienently my most favorite action star and the one who got me into china and Chinese martial arts, and has completely changed my life. Im not ashamed to call him my Hero :)

gwa sow
07-02-2006, 10:20 PM
i saw The myth. mah, it was ok. i just rented thunderball and liked it. download the new police story, pretty good.

BoulderDawg
04-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I've read the comments that Jackie Chan made before a group of Chinese Business men:

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said Saturday. "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

He went on to say that freedoms in Hong Kong and Taiwan made those societies "chaotic."

Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders

I'm beyond shocked. Jackie Chan is a racist. I respect the man's right to his opinion on politics. There are many people on this board who have brought into the Chinese government propaganda they spread hook, line and sinker. That said his suggestion that the Chinese people are simply stupid children that need looking after is no different than the comments made in this country a 150 years ago as an argument to not free the slaves.

taai gihk yahn
04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm beyond shocked. Jackie Chan is a racist.
no he's not: he's talking about fellow Chinese - how exactly would that constitute racism, if it de facto applies to him as well?:

I respect the man's right to his opinion on politics. There are many people on this board who have brought into the Chinese government propaganda they spread hook, line and sinker.
Chinese government propaganda has been going on for millennia; I don't know who has bought into it, it's pretty apparent that historically the government has been relatively oligarchic and repressive in its content;

That said his suggestion that the Chinese people are simply stupid children that need looking after is no different than the comments made in this country a 150 years ago as an argument to not free the slaves.
that's a bit of a reach; while it is suggesting limitation on personal freedom, it's not in the sense that one group of people should be owned by another as property;

sounds more like the man has some sort of quasi-Confucist political perspective; nothing new there - the history of China has been an on-going debate about just how much freedom people should have, from the rigidity of the Confucists to the anarchy of the Taoists and everywhere in between; the way that sort of comment is going to be perceived in China is not the same as it would be received elsewhere in the world

ngokfei
04-19-2009, 02:26 PM
JC is making these comments as a Rich Man as many of the new elite of China do.

On many a program I've seen how these individuals want to protect their ability to compete in the world market by controling their workers (ie: paying them very little $$ compared other countries).

There is no such thing as true Communism. What we see is Dictatorships using military force.

He still made some cool movies though:D

TenTigers
04-19-2009, 02:30 PM
people who live under tight control and suddenly find freedom often become decadent. Look at Russia, HK, and Catholic High School Girls.

BoulderDawg
04-19-2009, 03:20 PM
no he's not: he's talking about fellow Chinese - how exactly would that constitute racism, if it de facto applies to him as well?:

In police stations all over America some of the most racist attitudes towards blacks are held by black officers.

The real dividing force here is weath and social status. Chan has lost touch.

that's a bit of a reach; while it is suggesting limitation on personal freedom, it's not in the sense that one group of people should be owned by another as property

doesn't matter, the argument is about freedom and whether or not an entire race of people is intelligent enough to decide their own faith.

ngokfei
04-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Yep can't forget the USA. We were so moral and ..... under British Rule. Now we've gone and infected the world:eek:

What about those Hung Ga Exponents;)

Yum Cha
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Did you get the ads of him flogging the Chinese Olympics in the USA, both the Chinese Olympic Committee and Visa series?

He's a party man, as one must be to be successful in China. Shock Horror!

And as most people will tell you, the government does not control China anyway. Governing in China is like herding cats.

uki
04-19-2009, 06:11 PM
the history of China has been an on-going debate about just how much freedom people should have,it's evident in most cultures and nations... freedom... that funny little word at the center of our existence.

from the rigidity of the Confucists to the anarchy of the Taoists and everywhere in between;there is no order without chaos. :D

the way that sort of comment is going to be perceived in China is not the same as it would be received elsewhere in the worldimagine that... people who misunderstand each other. :)

Governing in China is like herding cats.if i had been sipping tea, it would've most likely come out my nose...

BoulderDawg
04-19-2009, 06:28 PM
And as most people will tell you, the government does not control China anyway. Governing in China is like herding cats.

Really?:D I bet all the millions that staved to death during the great leap forward would take issue with that statement.

Kansuke
04-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm beyond shocked. Jackie Chan is a racist.

Why? So are you.

Scott R. Brown
04-19-2009, 07:44 PM
A lot of Chinese say that. Chan is right. People don't have the cultural background for self determination. Life has alwasy been driven by fate and examinations. Always has. After that its just finding a wife/house/son and hoping the next generation does well on the provincial exam. Singapore is a jewel of Asia and they use the cane. Money and education is the long term solution, but until then, canes should be in use. When the canes get dusty, add some freedom.

I was in a wetland park yesterday in Chengdu where they take polluted water, run it through ponds and over rocks and in the end fish can live in it. Its teaching kids about ecology etc. A man was fishing there to steal goldfish to take home and providing lures for the kids. No one did anything although some people were talkiing to each other about it. I publically admonished him calling him a low class theif and questioning whether he was a man. He acted like he was going to fight, but eventually left with his head sunk when I equated him to the Japanese stealing the people's property. He knew he was wrong, but there were no checks and balances. All he needed was for one person to tell him no.

Just because something is against the law doesn't mean it is wrong!

BoulderDawg
04-19-2009, 07:57 PM
A lot of Chinese say that. Chan is right. People don't have the cultural background for self determination. Life has alwasy been driven by fate and examinations. Always has. After that its just finding a wife/house/son and hoping the next generation does well on the provincial exam. Singapore is a jewel of Asia and they use the cane. Money and education is the long term solution, but until then, canes should be in use. When the canes get dusty, add some freedom.

I was in a wetland park yesterday in Chengdu where they take polluted water, run it through ponds and over rocks and in the end fish can live in it. Its teaching kids about ecology etc. A man was fishing there to steal goldfish to take home and providing lures for the kids. No one did anything although some people were talkiing to each other about it. I publically admonished him calling him a low class theif and questioning whether he was a man. He acted like he was going to fight, but eventually left with his head sunk when I equated him to the Japanese stealing the people's property. He knew he was wrong, but there were no checks and balances. All he needed was for one person to tell him no.

Money and education the long time solution? Seems to me I heard something about that also being Mao's goals too. Didn't the literacy rate start rising every year when Mao took power?

I still don't know what some poor smuck stealing fish has to do with this. I think instead of busting his chops for breaking a petty law you should loudly protest the government and regulations (or lack thereof) that caused the water and air to become polluted in the first place. Of course you'll go to jail but it's got to start somewhere.

SteveLau
04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Some people have defended on these words by JC as he is not very good in verbal and diplomatic skill. I tend to agree so. And also some reactions to these words are over-reactive. Tentigers is correct. When people receive too much freedom, they tend to abuse it. And that is what JC meant when he said Chinese needed to be controlled. So, let us calm down.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 12:06 AM

Thank you Andy I agree completely.

From a fellow Chinese.

外国人不明白。

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 12:08 AM
i still don't know what some poor smuck stealing fish has to do with this. I think instead of busting his chops for breaking a petty law you should loudly protest the government and regulations (or lack thereof) that caused the water and air to become polluted in the first place. Of course you'll go to jail but it's got to start somewhere.

no .

Kansuke
04-20-2009, 01:25 AM
He acted like he was going to fight, but eventually left with his head sunk when I equated him to the Japanese stealing the people's property.

How great that you could call upon the power of bigotry to get your point across.

Lokhopkuen
04-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Just because something is against the law doesn't mean it is wrong!

Only if you get caught....

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 03:30 AM
How great that you could call upon the power of bigotry to get your point across.

It's not bigotry.

But its a clever way of getting the point across though.

Kevin73
04-20-2009, 06:05 AM
I've read the comments that Jackie Chan made before a group of Chinese Business men:

I'm beyond shocked. Jackie Chan is a racist. I respect the man's right to his opinion on politics. There are many people on this board who have brought into the Chinese government propaganda they spread hook, line and sinker. That said his suggestion that the Chinese people are simply stupid children that need looking after is no different than the comments made in this country a 150 years ago as an argument to not free the slaves.

What? There are many in this country that have also said that people have too many freedoms and take liberty with things (for example, freedom of speech to say ANYTHING no matter how offensive just because you can say it vs. limited speech that has no redeeming value).

As far as 150 yrs. ago, Blacks were thought of as sub-human. They weren't even considered on the same level as Whites. That is a HUGE difference between what Chan said and that attitude. Do you even know the difference between prejudice and racist?

You could say that Jackie Chan is an elitist and would be correct, but not a racist.

David Jamieson
04-20-2009, 07:13 AM
I wonder how Jackie would feel about having the controls imposed upon him that he thinks the rest of the Chinese people need.

This kind of thinking is rife with error in my opinion.

People, if anything, should take responsibility for each and everyone of the actions they take and they should be prepared to deal wit the consequences of said actions good or bad.

Letting government decide what you can and cannot do leads to disaster.
Letting someone else control what you do or say in a general sense is also a foundation for disaster.

Once a person reaches the age of responsibility, they should undertake to engage themselves in that responsibility.

BoulderDawg
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm just amazed there are people here who will defend a government such as this. I also notice that some of the people who are defending it also left it and moved elsewhere.

I think these people have forgotten that the same people who killed so many people at Tiananmen Square and in the aftermath are still in charge of the country. They are perfectly content with Chan's statement. They also have convinced the Chinese people of the false belief that "Things are changing in China but's a slow process and you must wait."

Real change in China is many decades away.

GeneChing
04-20-2009, 09:54 AM
I definitely need to be controlled. I'm thinking Gina Carano is just that person who should control me.

Jackie Chan: Chinese people need to be controlled (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090418/ap_en_ot/as_china_people_jackie_chan)
AP
By WILLIAM FOREMAN, Associated Press Writer William Foreman, Associated Press Writer – Sat Apr 18, 2:48 pm ET

BOAO, China – Action star Jackie Chan said Saturday he's not sure if a free society is a good thing for China and that he's starting to think "we Chinese need to be controlled."

Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders in China's southern island province of Hainan.

The 55-year-old Hong Kong actor was participating in a panel at the annual Boao Forum when he was asked to discuss censorship and restrictions on filmmakers in China. He expanded his comments to include society.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said. "I'm really confused now. If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

Chan added: "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

The kung fu star has not been a vocal supporter of the pro-democracy movement in his hometown of Hong Kong. Since the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997, voters have not been allowed to directly elect their leader. Several massive street protests have been held to demand full democracy, but Beijing has repeatedly said Hong Kong isn't ready for it.

The theme at Saturday's panel discussion was "Tapping into Asia's Creative Industry Potential," and Chan had several opinions about innovation in China.

He said that early in his career, he lived in the shadow of the late martial arts star Bruce Lee. He said that during his first foray into Hollywood, he struggled to establish his own identity, so he returned to Hong Kong. After spending 15 years building his reputation in Asia, Chan finally got rediscovered by Hollywood, he said.

Chan said the problem with Chinese youth is that "they like other people's things. They don't like their own things." Young people need to spend more time developing their own style, he added.

The action hero complained that Chinese goods still have too many quality problems. He became emotional when discussing contaminated milk powder that sickened tens of thousands of Chinese babies in the past year.

Speaking fast with his voice rising, Chan said, "If I need to buy a TV, I'll definitely buy a Japanese TV. A Chinese TV might explode."

Jackie Chan's China comments prompt backlash (AP) (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/jackie-chans-china-comments-prompt-backlash-ap)
Source: AP Sun Apr 19, 2009, 4:20 am EDT

HONG KONG - Action star Jackie Chan 's comments wondering whether Chinese people "need to be controlled" have drawn sharp rebuke in his native Hong Kong and in Taiwan .

Chan told a business forum in the southern Chinese province of Hainan that a free society may not be beneficial for China 's authoritarian mainland.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said Saturday. "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

He went on to say that freedoms in Hong Kong and Taiwan made those societies "chaotic."

Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders, but did not sit well with lawmakers in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

"He's insulted the Chinese people. Chinese people aren't pets," Hong Kong pro-democracy legislator Leung Kwok-hung told The Associated Press. "Chinese society needs a democratic system to protect human rights and rule of law."

Another lawmaker, Albert Ho, called the comments "racist," adding: "People around the world are running their own countries. Why can't Chinese do the same?"

Former British colony Hong Kong enjoys Western-style civil liberties and some democratic elections under Chinese rule. Half of its 60-member legislature is elected, with the other half picked by special interest groups. But Hong Kong's leader is chosen by a panel stacked with Beijing loyalists.

In democratically self-ruled Taiwan, which split from mainland China during a civil war in 1949, legislator Huang Wei-che said Chan himself "has enjoyed freedom and democracy and has reaped the economic benefits of capitalism. But he has yet to grasp the true meaning of freedom and democracy."

Chan's comments were reported by news outlets in Hong Kong and Taiwan, but were ignored by the mainland Chinese press.

Although Chan was a fierce critic of the brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in June 1989, which killed at least hundreds, he has not publicly criticized China's government in recent years and is immensely popular on the mainland.

He performed during the opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics and took part in the Olympic torch relay .

Chan also is vice chairman of the China Film Association, a key industry group.

taai gihk yahn
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Look at...Catholic High School Girls.
I try to, every time I drive by one of their schools; although lately, when I slow the mini-van to a crawl and open the remote side-door, I've noticed one of the nuns pull out a cell phone and dial what I am assuming to be 911 (can't imagine why, I always drop them back off when I'm finished with the "photo shoot"; maybe its the duct tape residue :confused::confused::confused:)

MartialDev
04-20-2009, 02:00 PM

China is a race? I thought it was a country of diverse genetic strains, unified to some degree by common culture.

And culture, not race, is the primary influence on people's behavior, their strengths and weaknesses, desires and needs.

BoulderDawg
04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
China is a race? I thought it was a country of diverse genetic strains, unified to some degree by common culture.

And culture, not race, is the primary influence on people's behavior, their strengths and weaknesses, desires and needs.

I have no idea what you mean by "genetic strains". However China, throughout history, has been so closed off to the outside world I would hardly call it a melting pot by any definition of the word.

What does that have to have to do with Chan's comments?

Bo_toxic
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Although Chan was a fierce critic of the brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in June 1989, which killed at least hundreds, he has not publicly criticized China's government in recent years and is immensely popular on the mainland.
His complete body of work might entitle him to the benifit of the doubt based on one statement he wold be considred a racist. Its words plus action that equal the measure of the man not words alone.

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Insurrection does not promote nationalism or unity. It breaks the mold of social structure and promotes individual hubris. When the government of a nation, and the nation itself is strong from unity, and strength, insurrection must be crushed and eliminated. This is not an option.

Revolution, disunity, and insurrection is a cycle that occurs naturally once the current ruling faction, government, dynasty, etc. reaches their despair event horizon and start to decline. There is no need to "push." Everything falls. Everything becomes rebuilt from the ashes of the prior empire.

Will the CCP fall one day? Most likely. But when? I hope not in my lifetime, I have ZERO desire to witness a civil war and slaughter between my own people.

Also just to let everyone know, we Chinese people (East Asian in general) did not come from a Euro-Centric, "Democratic" historical background. We are not descendants of the Romans and Greeks. We have our own culture, social rules, and history that built our nations up. To expect us to just bow down and act subservient to the West is ridiculous. That is blatant racism and imperialist agenda, trying to force the "just and civil democracy" upon our nation. We are under ZERO OBLIGATION to follow a conceptually racist demand. Why can't America and Europe understand this? They want to push for "civility" and "freedom?" Take a close look at your own history for the past 1000 years.

Kansuke
04-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I have no idea what you mean by "genetic strains". However China, throughout history, has been so closed off to the outside world I would hardly call it a melting pot by any definition of the word.

Well that was a completely ignorant and ill-informed comment. Why not actually study something about Chinese history before trying to talk about "China, throughout history"?

Kansuke
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Also just to let everyone know, we Chinese people (East Asian in general) did not come from a Euro-Centric, "Democratic" historical background. We are not descendants of the Romans and Greeks. We have our own culture, social rules, and history that built our nations up. To expect us to just bow down and act subservient to the West is ridiculous. That is blatant racism and imperialist agenda, trying to force the "just and civil democracy" upon our nation. We are under ZERO OBLIGATION to follow a conceptually racist demand. Why can't America and Europe understand this? They want to push for "civility" and "freedom?" Take a close look at your own history for the past 1000 years.

Captain Overcompensation strikes again! :rolleyes: (and the bits about insurrection don't really make sense when you copy and paste your comments out of context like this)

That was the biggest muddle of misdirected and irrational race-baiting and historical ignorance I've seen in quite some time.

A) political philosophy is not determined by race or vice versa

B) 1924 came before 1949

C) the majority of people, for the majority of time, in both 'da East' and 'da West' have been governed under Monarchies, so there goes the 'cultural imperative' theory right out the window

D) If any political philosophy can really lay claim to being 'Western,' it's Communism. That is the 'foreign' idea that infiltrated 'da East' at the cost of millions and millions and millions of lives. Your frustration is misdirected

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Well that was a completely ignorant and ill-informed comment. Why not actually study something about Chinese history before trying to talk about "China, throughout history"?

Why not get off your Euro-centric biased narcissistic platform before trying to debate a topic?

Kansuke
04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Why not get off your Euro-centric biased narcissistic platform before trying to debate a topic?

What 'platform' would that be? Is it strawman time?

Raipizo
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Now i don't think Jackie Chan was calling the chinese stupid, he just thinks they need ruled over.

GeneChing
04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Alas, how soon they forget. It's Jackie... (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42240):rolleyes:

golden arhat
04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
captain overcompensation strikes again! :rolleyes: (and the bits about insurrection don't really make sense when you copy and paste your comments out of context like this)

that was the biggest muddle of misdirected and irrational race-baiting and historical ignorance i've seen in quite some time.

A) political philosophy is not determined by race or vice versa

b) 1924 came before 1949

c) the majority of people, for the majority of time, in both 'da east' and 'da west' have been governed under monarchies, so there goes the 'cultural imperative' theory right out the window

d) if any political philosophy can really lay claim to being 'western,' it's communism. That is the 'foreign' idea that infiltrated 'da east' at the cost of millions and millions and millions of lives. Your frustration is misdirected

quoted for truth

Scott R. Brown
04-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Ummmm, so its okay to be Asia-centric, but not Euro-centric?

Who is the narcissist here?

Yes...how DARE the west try to impose freedom/democracy on those who have never had it and so are afraid of it.

Since when is the desire for human rights and social freedoms for all people narcissistic? The only ones freedoms harm are those dominating the political and social structures.

BoulderDawg
04-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Insurrection does not promote nationalism or unity. It breaks the mold of social structure and promotes individual hubris. When the government of a nation, and the nation itself is strong from unity, and strength, insurrection must be crushed and eliminated. This is not an option.

Revolution, disunity, and insurrection is a cycle that occurs naturally once the current ruling faction, government, dynasty, etc. reaches their despair event horizon and start to decline. There is no need to "push." Everything falls. Everything becomes rebuilt from the ashes of the prior empire.

Will the CCP fall one day? Most likely. But when? I hope not in my lifetime, I have ZERO desire to witness a civil war and slaughter between my own people.

You know all of that sounds real good from somebody living in the valley who doesn't have to worry if water he drinks is polluted or that the air that he breathes will kill him.

You should have paid attention to your deaths of your brothers in T Square.

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
You know all of that sounds real good from somebody living in the valley who doesn't have to worry if water he drinks is polluted or that the air that he breathes will kill him.

You should have paid attention to your deaths of your brothers in T Square.

Hmmm, yeah, students initiating insurrection, they were asking for it.

And BTW, I'm not from around "the valley."

I never remembered worrying about the air killing me . . . the water yes, it can get pretty dirty, but that's what purifiers are for right? And bottled water, of course. Oh just to help you out, I was born and raised in China.

Before calling Chan racist, take a goddman look at yourself.

Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

Scott R. Brown
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Yeah a few thousand protesters in a country of a billion is surely an insurrection!!!!

It was a protest, NOT an insurrection! In a free society the people have the right to protest a government they do not agree with. People are allowed to be right or left wing nuts, or even center nuts.

BoulderDawg
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM

And BTW, I'm not from around "the valley."

I never remembered worrying about the air killing me . . . the water yes, it can get pretty dirty, but that's what purifiers are for right? And bottled water, of course. Oh just to help you out, I was born and raised in China.

Before calling Chan racist, take a goddman look at yourself.

Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

Well I can't figure out why the hell you left. I mean you had it so good over there why would you want to come to the racist west?

For that matter I would like to know just how much time Chan spends each year in that paradise. But of course I guess a man making millions each year would do pretty good in a country where the average income is way less than $5,000 a year.

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Well I can't figure out why the hell you left. I mean you had it so good over there why would you want to come to the racist west?

For that matter I would like to know just how much time Chan spends each year in that paradise. But of course I guess a man making millions each year would do pretty good in a country where the average income is way less than $5,000 a year.

I know you're happy where you are, so shut the fvck up and go enjoy your life some more already. :rolleyes:

Drake
04-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I know you're happy where you are, so shut the fvck up and go enjoy your life some more already. :rolleyes:

If I kill him when I get to CO, will you teach me your style of CLF? Deal? Yes?

Kansuke
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh just to help you out, I was born and raised in China.

"Raised" only partly. You've been here since you were 11 and were almost entirely educated here. Still trying to convince yourself of something?

Kansuke
04-20-2009, 08:09 PM

You think you are being 'really' Chinese, but an awful lot of folks your age in China (and certainly a lot of folks who were your age about 15-20 years ago) would take exception with your thick-headed, overcompensating attitude.

Violent Designs
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM
You think you are being 'really' Chinese, but an awful lot of folks your age in China (and certainly a lot of folks who were your age about 15-20 years ago) would take exception with your thick-headed, overcompensating attitude.

The problem is that you think only your views are "right."

MartialDev
04-20-2009, 11:31 PM

What does that have to have to do with Chan's comments?

If China is not a race then prescribing behavior for Chinese is not racist. That charge is nonsense. You may as well accuse him of being an anti-Semitic h0m0phobe (for the crime of disagreeing with your political views). :rolleyes:

BoulderDawg
04-21-2009, 12:25 AM
If China is not a race then prescribing behavior for Chinese is not racist. That charge is nonsense. You may as well accuse him of being an anti-Semitic h0m0phobe (for the crime of disagreeing with your political views). :rolleyes:

That so? Maybe you could help me with something here. If Chan was not talking about Asian Chinese people then who exactly was he talking about? I don't know about you but I've never met a white Chinese, Black Chinese....or any other Chinese than an Asian Chinese. Probably a few out there but don't look for Kenya town or UK town when you go to China.

He is racist no matter how you spin it or what he meant to say.

Lokhopkuen
04-21-2009, 01:53 AM
The problem is that you think only your views are "right."

Not only in this persona LOL!:rolleyes:

Lokhopkuen
04-21-2009, 01:57 AM

Next to White people Chinese are some of the most racist people I've ever met besides
Hispanics and Blacks and Turks and Koreans and Japanese and........

Kansuke
04-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Not only in this persona LOL!:rolleyes:

???????????????????????????????????????

Kevin73
04-21-2009, 06:08 AM
That so? Maybe you could help me with something here. If Chan was not talking about Asian Chinese people then who exactly was he talking about? I don't know about you but I've never met a white Chinese, Black Chinese....or any other Chinese than an Asian Chinese. Probably a few out there but don't look for Kenya town or UK town when you go to China.

How? Spell it out. So are "white people" from England a different race than "white people" from Germany or France? Chan was NOT talking about a race of people he was talking about the citizens of a country. Again, Chan's comments might make him an elitist, but not racist.

Lay out the ACTUAL definition between prejudice, elitist and racist...

racism:1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others

elitism1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
2. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class

So how again is Chan a racist? You can agree or disagree all you want with Chan, but don't be ignorant of your views and use the appropriate words to back up your arguments.

David Jamieson
04-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Next to White people Chinese are some of the most racist people I've ever met besides

All cultures share in racism, xenophobia, h0m0phobia and a host of other ungrounded and irrational fears brought about by simple ignorance.

Some are a little more pronounced in their brand of hate, but no one can claim to be free of it. Not even the so called holy men of the world such as the pope or the dalai lama who are both expressive of their particular hates despite not calling it that or rationalizing their hatred away as some sort of doctrinal nonsense or what have you. :)

sha0lin1
04-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I understand where Violent Designs is coming from. The Chinese people have never had freedom. For centuries they have been ruled over by someone, now it is the communist party. I think also that it is a mistake for us to think that all people the world over want freedom. Just look at Iraq as an example. Besides, look at our own country, everyday we lose another freedom, we look more and more like a police state all the time. It gets slipped in quietly with Homeland Security Acts and laws. They are putting camera's up everywhere and all the while they tell us it is for our safety and we agree and we let them. Is that freedom?

Kansuke
04-21-2009, 07:15 AM
I think also that it is a mistake for us to think that all people the world over want freedom. Just look at Iraq as an example.

Yeah, look at the example of people who risked their lives to go out and vote...

David Jamieson
04-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah, look at the example of people who risked their lives to go out and vote...

Or the women in afghanistan who get pelted with stones for asking for egalitarian standards.

we spend 7 years in that crap hole and the idiot Karzai wants to install backwards culturally idiosyncratic laws.

yeesh. what a waste of time and money that was and is.

I'm with the "get out and get out now" crowd on afghanistan now. Seriously, it's a wasted effort, let them have their caliphate and lets just keep them from spreading that nonsense here.

we've been there longer than it took to finish WW2. That little fact alone makes the whole effort seem quite retarded now, a waste of our own time, effort, blood and treasure.

let them have their crap.

Kansuke
04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Or the women in afghanistan who .

Wow, that was quick. Ignore the point and move on to another. What the ****, do you think no one notices these 'clever' techniques? What a joke.

BoulderDawg
04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
How? Spell it out. So are "white people" from England a different race than "white people" from Germany or France? Chan was NOT talking about a race of people he was talking about the citizens of a country. Again, Chan's comments might make him an elitist, but not racist.

Lay out the ACTUAL definition between prejudice, elitist and racist...

racism:1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others

elitism1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
2. a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class

So how again is Chan a racist? You can agree or disagree all you want with Chan, but don't be ignorant of your views and use the appropriate words to back up your arguments.

Semantics. If someone said Eithopians are lazy and stupid would you think they were not talking about black people?

You can frost the turd all you like but it's still a frosted turd!:D

BoulderDawg
04-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Wow, that was quick. Ignore the point and move on to another. What the ****, do you think no one notices these 'clever' techniques? What a joke.

The man was agreeing with you. Why insult him?

Honest to God I have no idea why this guy is allowed to continue. He never adds anything to the debate other than insults.

Kansuke
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Aren't you supposed to be pretending to ignore me, hypocrite?

BoulderDawg
04-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Aren't you supposed to be pretending to ignore me, hypocrite?

I do when it comes to attacks on me. However the fact that you go as far to insult even the people who are agreeing with you just goes to show you're only here for that purpose.

Truth is most of your posts are only a couple of sentences long and you've never put forth an original thought or idea. Have you ever even started a thread? My guess is not...other than maybe a "(Board poster) is a stupid (fill in the blank)".

Kevin73
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Semantics. If someone said Eithopians are lazy and stupid would you think they were not talking about black people?

You can frost the turd all you like but it's still a frosted turd!:D

No, it's not semantics. The context that Chan was talking about was his OWN country, his OWN people and was expressing POLITICAL views. He never said that chinese people were inferior to other people or countries.

And, no I would NOT think that if someone said Ethiopians were lazy, I would assume that they were talking about black people, I would assume that they were talking about Ethiopians. I don't assume that all black people are the same as you do.

By your own statement, you are prejudice. You prejudge a statement and unfairly apply it to everyone else, why else would you think a specific statement about a group of people would apply to everyone else?

As Shakespeare said, "I think thou dost protest too much".

Lucas
04-21-2009, 09:52 AM
im white. i think some white people need to stop sleeping with thier cousins/sisters/moms. the jerry springer show isnt funny anymore.

does that make me racist?

i think there are plenty of american people that are so ignorant of other cultures its silly. they need to educate themselves.

does that statement make me racists against americans? is that even possible to be racist against a country.

im with Kevin on this

MartialDev
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM

"Asian Chinese" is not a f*cking race! You need help from a dictionary, preferably one written after the 18th century.

Jeez, is this KFO or a meeting of reformed white supremicists? Nevermind--by all means, continue to defend the yellow race. Because after all, there is no black race in the yellows! That's just simple logic! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

taai gihk yahn
04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
In police stations all over America some of the most racist attitudes towards blacks are held by black officers.
non sequitur; even if black officers have negative attitudes towards other blacks, it's not racism per se, because racism is predicated on inter-racial interaction: prejudice / discrimination of a member of one race towards a person of a different race; if a black officer discriminates against a black suspect, he cannot be acting out of a non-black to black differentiation;

The real dividing force here is weath and social status.
that my be so, although that has nothing to do intrinsically with race, per se

Chan has lost touch.
lost touch with what? his "roots"? I don't know - in fact, I'd say he's looking back to the excessive structure of his upbringing as a touchstone for his expressed opinion: bear in mind that his youth was spent under sever discipline, and he has always credited sd ky to his professional achievements; so for him, structure / control was what he knew and what engendered his personal success

doesn't matter, the argument is about freedom and whether or not an entire race of people is intelligent enough to decide their own faith.
what does it have to do with faith? he's not talking about religion per se; or you may men "fate"? if so, well, again, he's talking about it inclusively: he didn't say "all Chinese except me should be controlled" - he appears to be including himself, at least by implication; so while he may be speaking inappropriately for others, he does not appear to be implying that it wouldn't apply to him as well;

anyway, I think that to condemn him as racist is at best disingenuous: it might be more opportune to step back for a moment and consider the nature of his experience in context of his upbringing as relates to the situation in China today; at best, I would label his view as conservative, at worst, elitist, or even repressive; but not racist;

BoulderDawg
04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Racism is defined as a derogatory attitude towards another group based on race or culture.

That's my definition and Chan fits the bill. I understand there are people here who see Chan as some sort of hero but he made the statements.

And further more he has now lied about it and said that he was only talking about the entertainment industry.....right!

so less freedom in the entertainment industry....Isn't that called censorship?

Violent Designs
04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
BoulderDawg, this is just between you and me, but as a Chinese, you're statements would be considered racist by most Chinese people (including myself), NOT Jackie Chan's.

I'm not saying this because I hate you (which I don't, I don't even know who the fvck you are), but just to be realistic.

Your comments are racist and derogatory.

taai gihk yahn
04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Racism is defined as a derogatory attitude towards another group based on race or culture.
exactly; "another" group; as in not the same group

That's my definition and Chan fits the bill.
by "your" definition, he actually doesn't! how do you not see that? you are either stupid or...well, sorry, I can't think of an alternative...

I understand there are people here who see Chan as some sort of hero but he made the statements.
not me; I see him as a guy who has tremendous talent in one area, who has also donated a great deal of his time to charities (remember that?), and said something relatively untoward, when he probably should have kept his mouth shut

And further more he has now lied about it and said that he was only talking about the entertainment industry.....right!
damage control, plain and simple; he's doing CYA, largely because of the ridiculous uproar of people like yourself who latch onto any remark made publicly that you think is a safe opportunity for justifiable outrage;

so less freedom in the entertainment industry....Isn't that called censorship?
oh, good grief...lighten up, Francis; for someone who's supposedly a liberal, you sure are often quick to pigeon hole anything that doesn't conform to your world-view;

GeneChing
04-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Looks like Jackie really stepped in it this time.

Chan dropped from Deaflympics (http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2009/04/22/2003441723)
ACTION STAR REACTION: A Facebook group set up by Hong Kong users calling for Jackie Chan to be exiled to North Korea drew more than 2,600 members
By Mo Yan-chih
STAFF REPORTER
Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009,

Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) said yesterday that action star Jackie Chan's (成龍) tenure as ambassador for the Deaflympics ended last year and urged the public not to politicize sports, amid a furor over the celebrity's anti-democratic remarks.

Chan's position as an ambassador for September's Deaflympics, which will be the biggest sports event ever hosted by Taipei, sparked controversy after he described freedom in Taiwan as “chaotic” during a panel discussion at the annual Boao Forum in Hainan, China, last week.

“Each of the ambassadors we invited has a different mission and Jackie Chan's work was done last year ... The Deaflympics is an international sports event, and we don't want the event to become politicized,” Hau said at Taipei City Hall.

Hau's remarks came as Chan's spokesman said the star's comments had been taken out of context.

Solon So (蘇志游), the chief executive of Chan's company JC Group and his main spokesman, told reporters in a telephone interview yesterday that the actor was referring to freedom in the entertainment industry and not Chinese society at large.

“Some people with ulterior motives deliberately misinterpreted what he was saying.”

— Solon So, Jackie Chan’s spokesman

“Some people with ulterior motives deliberately misinterpreted what he was saying,” So said.

The comments came as Facebook users and Chinese academics condemned the veteran actor on the Internet in a spreading backlash.

A group of Chinese academics published a letter online on Monday accusing Chan of “not understanding how precious freedom is,” even though “free Hong Kong provided the conditions for you to become an international action star.”

A Facebook group set up by Hong Kong users calling for Chan to be exiled to North Korea had drawn more than 2,600 members by yesterday afternoon.

The group also posted form letters urging Hong Kong's Baptist University and Academy for Performing Arts to strip Chan of honorary degrees they had given the actor.

Emile Sheng (盛治仁), chairman of the Taipei Deaflympics Organizing Committee, said Chan was only one of more than 10 ambassadors the city government has invited to promote the event.

Chan came to Taiwan in September to participate in one of the promotional activities and shot — for free — a TV advertisement for the sports event, Sheng said.

Other ambassadors, including singer A-Mei (張惠妹) and actress Lin Ching-hsia (林青霞), had also promoted the event for the city government on different occasions, he said.

Asked whether Chan would be invited to the opening ceremony, Hau said the city government would not invite him to join the ceremony, but would not refuse if the actor wanted to attend.

“We are inviting athletes, important figures in the sports field and foreign guests, but we won't say no to those who want to come,” he said.

Sheng said the organizing committee had invited six-time NBA champion Scottie Pippen to promote the Deaflympics this weekend and would continue to invite other well-known athletes and celebrities to serve as ambassadors.

Pippen, a former Chicago Bulls forward, will arrive in Taipei on Friday and participate in several basketball games with local players to promote the Deaflympics, Sheng said.

Taipei won the bid to host this year's event in 2003. Over 11 days, around 4,000 athletes from 81 countries will compete in events including track and field, badminton, basketball and bowling, the committee said.

Chan Defends China Comments (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=38876)

Jackie Chan has moved to quash the controversy following his recent comments about democracy in China, insisting his remarks were taken out of context.

The action star, a Hong Kong native and one of the Communist nation's leading stars, reportedly spoke about the dangers of China adopting a democratic stance at a business forum in the country's Hainan province on Saturday.

He reportedly told the forum, "I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not. I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

The comments have been heavily criticized by pro-democracy groups both in China and worldwide.

But a representative for the actor is adamant Chan was referring to freedom in the entertainment industry and not Chinese society at large.

Solon So, chief executive of Chan's company JC Group, says, "Some people with ulterior motives deliberately misinterpreted what he was saying.

BoulderDawg
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
BoulderDawg, this is just between you and me, but as a Chinese, you're statements would be considered racist by most Chinese people (including myself), NOT Jackie Chan's.

Let's be specific here. What statements were made that were derogatory towards Chinese people?

BoulderDawg
04-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I also love how you deemed yourself as a representative of the Chinese people......you know, someone who loved it so well they decided to leave.

In any case tell us how many relatives you lost in the great leap forward? How many disappeared in the middle of the night after making some sort of off hand comment that was over heard?

Violent Designs
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
In any case tell us how many relatives you lost in the great leap forward? How many disappeared in the middle of the night after making some sort of off hand comment that was over heard?

Nobody I can think of.

Both my grand parents on my father's side are university professors btw. Like everyone else they had to go to the country for the Cultural Revolution, but apparently nobody lost their heads.

Violent Designs
04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Look man the only people that are gonna agree with you on this stupid topic are ******* bigoted whites who want to push their euro-centric agenda onto the rest of East Asia.

Go fvck off and enjoy your own god**** "freedom" and "democracy" because we don't give a flying fvck, just stop b1tching about a country you don't even live in and has no affect on your god**** life.

photo-master
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Jackie Chan is an elitist/globalist peace of trash. At the top (in Cuban cigar smoke filled rooms) their all the same. They have power, freedom, money, and seek to control and tax the masses. Chan is merely a front man like Obama, Schwarzenegger, Etc... They get the spoils of economic war/terrorism for going along with the "program."

I can see Jackie Chan's next movie trailer now Rush hour 4, Globalist W-h-o-r-e... Co staring Ben "S.-teal from the people" Bernanke. It's about a Chinese cop that comes to Washington D.C to protect China's investment in the Federal Reserve Bank. He uses kung fu and jack boots in a nonstop hysterical physical comedy (water boarding and Guantánamo Bay style torcher), that shows how the New World Order is turning America into one large "economic zone." Chan give Bernake pointers on China's most favored nation status and just how to censor the internet, limit families to one child, and enslave the people with out them knowing their slaves. It supposed to be this summers (Carbon Tax Credit) blockbuster!

Violent Designs
04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Boulderdog, you are very correct logically and in terms of a western education. Imagine that you are driving a car in China according to logical rules as you may find in the UK. Even if you are "correct" it wont be longer than 30 seconds before you get hit by another car. I used to carry similar ideas, but eventually it has nothing to do with what is right so much as what is Chinese. Its is a different context. Is using other people's bigotry good? Maybe, I'm not judging the forces at work in the world because I can't change them, but I can use them from time to time.

Do you really think this man in the park would respond to Kantian ethics? His nonexistant religion? The little red book people have long discarded? He will only respond to heirarchy, shame and nationalism. That is the language he is speaking.

Excellent post.

Kansuke
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Go fvck off and enjoy your own god**** "freedom" and "democracy" because we don't give a flying fvck.

Who is "we"?

Violent Designs
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Who is "we"?

Superman and Black Jesus.

Kansuke
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Put down the crack pipe for a while, kid.

Violent Designs
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Put down the crack pipe for a while, kid.

Breaking news: chainpunch is the new pimpslap.

Kansuke
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
See post #78

Lokhopkuen
04-22-2009, 01:55 AM
I also love how you deemed yourself as a representative of the Chinese people......you know, someone who loved it so well they decided to leave.

And you think this doesn't happen here?!?!!

Baqualin
04-22-2009, 07:47 AM

Very well said Lok....When I was young the only racism I experienced was the typical B & W thing...never understood it, because I grew up a farm boy and worked for a couple of Black farmers (best cooks at lunch time!) and in the field together for other farmers...it always made me feel horrible when all these same people I worked side by side with, laughed with and ate with were ridiculed and mistreated at school for no reason....I got in a few fights because of this. Then at college (where there's a melting pot) I saw that it wasn't just a Black & White thing.....at a party a Black friend & I were talking when we looked around to see everyone one had left the room....the girls having the party had invited a few Middle easterners (using that term as not to insult particulars) they left the room and were outside acting all ****ed off and refusing to come in the same room with a Black man....I was like WTF.....I became aware that racism is not just an American B&W thing...it's everywhere (even with animals), my master who is Chinese even said that the Chinese feel they are the superior race.....DON'T WE ALL! I see it everywhere I go now.....everybody wants their own kind to be the best.....still a lot of evolving to do.....at least we can talk about it here without killing each other (well some of us:)).
BQ

Shaolinlueb
04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
d@mn, some people in here need to take a chill pill. and al sharpton is the most racist person on the planet. :eek:

Bo_toxic
04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen
yup I got a kick out of that one.

BoulderDawg
04-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Very well said Lok....When I was young the only racism I experienced was the typical B & W thing...never understood it, because I grew up a farm boy and worked for a couple of Black farmers (best cooks at lunch time!) and in the field together for other farmers...it always made me feel horrible when all these same people I worked side by side with, laughed with and ate with were ridiculed and mistreated at school for no reason....I got in a few fights because of this. Then at college (where there's a melting pot) I saw that it wasn't just a Black & White thing.....at a party a Black friend & I were talking when we looked around to see everyone one had left the room....the girls having the party had invited a few Middle easterners (using that term as not to insult particulars) they left the room and were outside acting all ****ed off and refusing to come in the same room with a Black man....I was like WTF.....I became aware that racism is not just an American B&W thing...it's everywhere (even with animals), my master who is Chinese even said that the Chinese feel they are the superior race.....DON'T WE ALL! I see it everywhere I go now.....everybody wants their own kind to be the best.....still a lot of evolving to do.....at least we can talk about it here without killing each other (well some of us:)).
BQ

Yes, I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard a conservative tell a story about standing up for the poor black man. Guess what......They can take care of themselves.

Anyway so these girls invited Arabs to a party then got all pised off because they came!!!!!!!!:confused:

BoulderDawg
04-22-2009, 09:04 AM
And you think this doesn't happen here?!?!!

Thank god before the Bush admin came into office there were very few political "Disappearances" in this country. I'm betting that increased during the Bush admin. Hopefully one day in this country the "freedom of speech" everyone talks about will become more than just lip service.

Baqualin
04-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Yes, I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard a conservative tell a story about standing up for the poor black man. Guess what......They can take care of themselves.

BD,
D@mmit, I wish you would learn to read.
1) I'm not a conservative and I was a poor white farm boy at the time.
2) I wasn't talking about standing up for a black man...I didn't understand why they were being picked on for no reason....I couldn't like them in the field and go to school and pretend to hate them......anybody who picks on people in a hateful way pi$$es me off .....even you the douche bag you are were being picked on I would stand by your side...no matter what color you are (most likely green like a martian):).
3)I know they can take care of themselves.... worse ass whipping I ever had (when I was 8) was from a black girl!
4) your still an idiot:p

Anyway so these girls invited Arabs to a party then got all pised off because they came!!!!!!!!:confused:

Dumb ass.....the girls didn't go anywhere:rolleyes: the people of middle eastern decent wouldn't stay in the same room with a black man.

Finally...I was agreeing with Lok that were all racist to a degree...even animals like YOU:eek:
BQ

Baqualin
04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Thank god before the Bush admin came into office there were very few political "Disappearances" in this country. I'm betting that increased during the Bush admin. Hopefully one day in this country the "freedom of speech" everyone talks about will become more than just lip service.

Every heard of whitewater.

Kansuke
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm betting that increased during the Bush admin.

You're "betting"? You mean you are just making **** up again, you irresponsible POS.

Drake
04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Every heard of whitewater.

Hey...that was suicide(s)! :D

Violent Designs
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
d@mn, some people in here need to take a chill pill. and al sharpton is the most racist person on the planet. :eek:

I'm done dealing with this retarded bullsh1t being pushed by both Kansuke and BoulderDawg, they can't even agree on how to run their OWN god**** country and they want to tell US what to do?

Go take your neoconservative, reactionary White supremacist crap elsewhere first.

Kansuke
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm done dealing with this retarded bullsh1t being pushed by both Kansuke and BoulderDawg, they can't even agree on how to run their OWN god**** country and they want to tell US what to do?

Your failure to define what is being "pushed" aside, who is "US" Mr. California?

Violent Designs
04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Your failure to define what is being "pushed" aside, who is "US" Mr. California?

Go argue with BoulderDawg, the intelligence level (or lack thereof) of you two are relatively close, and you seem to have a well-established relationship already.

Kansuke
04-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Go take your neoconservative, reactionary White supremacist crap elsewhere first.

Just typing a string of words you think might have impact is meaningless.

Kansuke
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Go argue with BoulderDawg, the intelligence level (or lack thereof) of you two are relatively close.

Maybe you should finish your education before going that route, kid.

Mr Punch
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Jackie Chan is an elitist/globalist peace of trash. At the top (in Cuban cigar smoke filled rooms) their all the same. They have power, freedom, money, and seek to control and tax the masses. Chan is merely a front man like Obama, Schwarzenegger, Etc... They get the spoils of economic war/terrorism for going along with the "program."

I can see Jackie Chan's next movie trailer now Rush hour 4, Globalist W-h-o-r-e... Co staring Ben "S.-teal from the people" Bernanke. It's about a Chinese cop that comes to Washington D.C to protect China's investment in the Federal Reserve Bank. He uses kung fu and jack boots in a nonstop hysterical physical comedy (water boarding and Guantánamo Bay style torcher), that shows how the New World Order is turning America into one large "economic zone." Chan give Bernake pointers on China's most favored nation status and just how to censor the internet, limit families to one child, and enslave the people with out them knowing their slaves. It supposed to be this summers (Carbon Tax Credit) blockbuster!Satire Lives! :D

Mr Punch
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Go take your neoconservative, reactionary White supremacist crap elsewhere first.Satire Lives! :D

Mr Punch
04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
BTW, not that it has much to do with anything, but you can be racist against a country's people, and the same attitudes could even be applied to regional prejudices within a country, so this whole 'Chan can't be racist against the Chinese' crap is... well, crap.

Put simply, if a lifelong HK resident says that all Taiwanese are mother****ers, it's racist. The fact that, to all intents and purposes, they're all Chinese is irrelevant.

In this case, I couldn't give a ****. Chan's is a tireless charity worker (and real work too, not just some of his dollar), and made some **** entertaining movies into the bargain. Doesn't mean he's a genius, or an angel, or a political analyst, so making some stupid comments is neither here nor there.

Lokhopkuen
04-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Who is "we"?

We. Us. Me :p

Lokhopkuen
04-23-2009, 02:15 AM
BQ

Yea I can relate BQ. When many of my crack deprived white friends would come down to the ghetto to score I'd wait in line with them and I felt really bad as we we're pelted with stones and called h0nkey Mo-Fo....:mad:

LOL!

GeneChing
04-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Man, Jackie is just sticking his foot in his mouth left and right.

Jackie Chan: Singaporeans have no self-respect (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20090423-137128.html)

Action star Jackie Chan did not only offend the Chinese living in Hong Kong and Taiwan, his "speech of freedom" that drew widespread ire recently also spoke badly about Singaporeans.

He had apparently said that Singaporeans have no sense of self-respect.

Chan, who spoke last Saturday at the Boao Forum for Asia, said that the Chinese have to be controlled or society would be "chaotic" like that of Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Local Chinese evening daily Shin Min Daily News reported that in the action star's speech, Singaporeans too, were not spared.

During the forum's question and answer session, Chan said in his reply to a question from the media, "When I go to Singapore, I realize that chewing gum is not allowed there. Why is this so?

"I found out later that if (Singaporeans) chew gum, they will dispose of the used gum on tabletops, on chairs, and (they) have no sense of self-respect."

According to the Shin Min report, he also pointed out that unlike the Americans and the Japanese, "they" do not have that sense of self-respect. And when this is lacking, the government will have to step in.

Should one be sensitive, the action star's words might be interpreted as him saying that Singaporeans are not as orderly as the Americans or the Japanese. Compared to the people in these two countries, Singaporeans thus have less self-respect and in turn, are not allowed to chew gum.

This was not Chan's only comment about Singapore in his speech. The actor also spoke about the country's laws.

"When you reach Singapore, you must obey its laws, if you are caught littering, you will go to jail right away."

These words, according to the Shin Min report, seem to have exaggerated the severity of Singapore's penal code.

Shin Min spoke to members of the public, who thought that Jackie Chan did not have an in-depth understanding of Singapore's law and culture, and should thus not make such sweeping comments about the country and its people.

Miss Wang, 29, told Shin Min, "He is not a political figure, and should not make comments that are political in nature. The problem about chewing gum being inappropriately disposed of is not confined to Singapore alone, and he should not single out one country in his comments.

Real estate agent, Mr Lim, 30, said, "I think that he had gone a little overboard in his comments about Singapore."

The actor's close friend and publicist however, told Shin Min that Chan's words were misunderstood. "Every time Jackie visits Singapore, he will speak about how nice and clean the country is. He speaks very quickly, and because of this, people might interpret his words in a different way."

BoulderDawg
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Chan seems to be "misunderstood" a lot......all racists are.

taai gihk yahn
04-23-2009, 02:56 PM

oh, shut up, already

Kansuke
04-23-2009, 03:54 PM

Like you? :rolleyes:

yutyeesam
04-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Meanwhile getting away from your petty flames and back OT....

Yo Gene!
Didja see this?

http://beta.sling.com/video/show/142340/86/We-Didn%27t-Start-the-Flame-War

GeneChing
08-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Jackie Chan: Caught between East and West (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-jackie-chan-20150823-story.html)

http://www.trbimg.com/img-55d621f7/turbine/la-la-ca-0818-jackie-chan-003-jpg-20150819/900/900x506
Jackie Chan in Beijing on Aug. 3, 2015. (Ng Han Guan / Associated Press)
By Julie Makinen contact the reporter

On a sultry afternoon, in his basement office lair tucked beneath a sportscar dealership and private jet showroom, Jackie Chan is flipping gleefully through photos on his MacBook. The martial arts master and multimillionaire is eager to show off not his latest stunts, exotic automobiles or private plane , but his prized stuffed animals.

About five years ago, he explains like giddy girl, he went to a Build-a-Bear Workshop in London and put together two pandas, placing hearts inside them and creating their "birth certificates" as they were sewn together. Since then, he's taken thousands of snapshots of his famous friends and acquaintances posing with the toys, named Chan La and Chan Zy, and even flown them around the world to visit his fans.

"Oh, here's the pandas with Stallone! Ang Lee! Jet Li! All famous people!" Chan exclaims, peeling with laughter. "Now where's the one with Bill Clinton?"

Soon one of his entourage suggests it's time to adjourn for some hot pot. Chan jumps up and there's a whooshing sound, almost like a balloon popping. Hiking up his shirt he reveals a wraparound back brace featuring an inflatable lumbar support contraption.

"Getting old," the 61-year-old says. "I can't sit too long."

Chan has just published an autobiography in Chinese, "Never Grow Up, Only Get Older," and the title is more than apropos. Even with more than 100 films under his belt, it's clear the Hong Kong-born action star and comedian has yet to lose the childlike wonder that has endeared him to fans around the world. Nor is he sitting still.

Though he hasn't had a Hollywood live-action hit since 2010's "The Karate Kid" remake with Jaden Smith — and clearly pines for continued U.S. popularity — his star is shining perhaps more brightly than ever before, particularly in Asia.

Chan has earned $50 million over the last 12 months, according to Forbes — not just from his films but also his myriad other businesses, which include everything from designer apparel and eyeglasses to movie theaters to Segway scooter dealerships (Chan is known to ride the two-wheeled contraptions around his sets). That's more than any actor worldwide aside from Robert Downey Jr., putting him at No. 38 on the magazine's 2015 list of 100 top-paid celebrities, ahead of Kobe Bryant, Tom Cruise and Dr. Dre.

A global survey this year by the British polling firm YouGov named Chan the fourth-most-admired man in the world, after Bill Gates, President Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Last spring, Chan found himself at the center of a pop culture meme — "Duang!" — a made-up, onomatopoeic word that originated in a cheesy 2004 shampoo commercial he filmed. (The word is written in Chinese by smooshing together the two characters that make up Chan's name: "Becoming" and "Dragon.")

With such cachet, Chan should be ideally positioned to capitalize on the accelerating convergence between the Hollywood and Chinese entertainment industries. Yet somehow his career seems caught up in an intractable bifurcation: His American comedies rarely play well on his home turf, while his homegrown smashes like "Chinese Zodiac" and "Police Story" tend to be duds or at best cult hits stateside.

"In America they don't like to see Jackie doing a drama. They only like Jackie doing 'Rush Hour 1, 2, 3.' 'Shanghai Noon.' These kinds of things," says Chan, who says he's trying to improve his English by watching CNN.

"I have to do two movies for Chinese, [then] one movie for Americans, or two movies for Americans, [then] one for Chinese. Poor me!" says Chan, only half-kidding. "Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks — so lucky! Whenever their movies come out … the whole world" goes to see them.

From Hong Kong to Hollywood, Jackie Chan has fought his way into the hearts of moviegoers with innovative stunt choreography and his seamless fusion of action and comedy. Take a look at the steps it took to get there.
By Andrea Wang / Los Angeles Times

Jackie Chan held small roles in dozens of films before finding mainstream success, including stuntman cameos for Bruce Lee during the height of Lee's popularity. In "Enter the Dragon," Chan plays a thug that endures the wrath of Lee.

His latest action drama, "Dragon Blade" — a swords-and-sandals, East-meets-West period epic that features him fighting bloody battles with Roman soldiers played by John Cusack and Adrien Brody — became a major blockbuster this year on the mainland, earning more than $120 million.

The picture, set in the wild deserts of western China, is being released stateside by Lionsgate Premiere on Sept. 4. But asked if he thinks "Dragon Blade," with its serious tone and savage fight scenes, will fly in the U.S., Chan is downbeat.

"Probably not," he says. "But I got to try."

Chan may have better luck satisfying Americans with "Skiptrace," a China-set action caper in which he plays a detective who must apprehend a gambler portrayed by Johnny Knoxville. The film, directed by Renny Harlin ("Die Hard 2"), is due to arrive in theaters around Christmas.

The "*******" star, who like Chan draws inspiration from the physical comedy of Buster Keaton, says he was struck both by Chan's outsize presence and his down-to-earth generosity during their months of filming.

"I saw him on the first day ... Jackie Chan riding up onto set on his Segway, larger than life," Knoxville recalls. "He had on this Chinese military jacket, with a beautiful collar on it. I say, 'God, that's such a beautiful coat.' And he's like, 'You like it? You can have it.' He just gave me the coat off his back.

"He's a very kind and generous man who's like an 8-year-old kid who cannot sit still. I can't imagine what he was like in school. He must have driven all the teachers crazy because he's doing five things at once all the time."

Chan has some classic attributes of a diva; for example, he has a 10-point list of bathroom manners for his staff and sports his own "JC" label pants, socks, shoes and sunglasses (today's JC shirt is emblazoned with the mantra "I can because I think I can").

Yet actors and directors he's worked with describe him as almost obsessively thoughtful and considerate. Rob Minkoff, who directed him in 2008's "Forbidden Kingdom," recalls Chan taking it upon himself to haul back video gear from Hong Kong to make their desert shoot easier.

continued next post

GeneChing
08-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Philanthrophy is part of the JC brand. Back in his subterranean lair, an assistant interrupts Chan's panda-picture sharing for a meeting with a woman who oversees the work of his charitable foundations, which have built 27 schools in impoverished Chinese communities and support causes including youth sports activities in Hong Kong. In addition to those projects, he's been a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF, funded a self-help center for the elderly in San Francisco and obsessively purchased, dismantled, and restored historic Chinese homes that otherwise would have fallen victim to wrecking balls; four of the structures now sit on a college campus in Singapore.

Chan says he's been thinking more and more about his legacy in the last two years, following a momentous car ride with David Foster. The Canadian composer and producer asked Chan, who himself has a successful singing career in Chinese, how old he was. Fifty-nine, Chan said. Foster replied matter-of-factly that Chan had 21 summers left — anything past 80 years would be a bonus.

Foster's admonition, he says, got him ruminating about being "buried in the ground. Worms are eating me. I'm gone. … I said, 'How am I going to spend the 21 summers?'"

"I could retire, spend every day fooling around, but I want to do good things for 21 years. Help people, spend my money, just do good things. That's the most important thing. ... I tell my son, when I die, my bank — zero. Whatever I have, I donate."

One role Chan now finds himself reprising, somewhat unexpectedly, is fatherhood. His 32-year-old son, Jaycee, an actor and singer, was arrested last year in Beijing on marijuana charges and served six months behind bars — an awkward predicament for Chan, who was an official anti-drug ambassador for the Chinese government and a member of a political advisory committee.

Jaycee was released just as "Dragon Blade" was hitting theaters. Chan says he didn't try to pull any strings for his son and says the punishment was a "good thing" for him. Busy pursuing his acting career, Chan acknowledges he was often away from home for long stretches during his son's upbringing, leaving the parenting largely to his wife of 33 years, retired Taiwanese actress Lin Feng-jiao.

These days, he says, "we're becoming more close because these things happened." His son, he acknowledges, is still "very ashamed" to see people, and wears a mask when he goes out in public. "I said, 'Don't do that. Be yourself. … Everybody do wrong things. As long as he does not do it again. I forgive you once; not the second time."

Soon, Chan says, he hopes he and Jaycee can collaborate on musical recordings, maybe even appear in a film together. Jail, he said, has made has son more productive. Such a break from everyday life, he tells an Associated Press reporter, might be good for today's overstressed multitudes. "I think sometimes I should set up a 'jail holiday,' force some rich people, even myself, to go to jail," he says, apparently in jest.

Over time and given his ties to the government, Chan has learned to temper his words and is clearly proud of China's recent growth.

"These days China can do everything … nothing is impossible in China. China has more than 5,000 years of history, the last 15 years have been the best — no wars," he says when someone brings up Beijing's successful bid for the 2022 Olympics despite receiving little snow. "We had the Summer Olympics, the [Shanghai] Expo, now the Winter Olympics. Everything is booming. Of course we are learning. We are getting rid of the bad things — give us a chance to do something."

In a few days, Chan will start production on a film called "Kung Fu Yoga." That will be followed by a World War II-era movie titled "Railroad Tigers" that centers on ordinary Chinese trying to sabotage Japan's shipments of materiel to Southeast Asia.

But the upcoming project he sounds most enthused about is "The Foreigner," an English-language drama to be directed by Martin Campbell ("Casino Royale") and based on the Stephen Leather novel "The Chinaman," about an ex-Vietnamese guerrilla fighter turned London restaurateur who gets caught up in an IRA bombing and seeks revenge.

"That's a serious thing. It's suitable for my character and age," says Chan, citing the roles taken on by Robert De Niro, Clint Eastwood and Liam Neeson as examples of the kind of parts he now wants in Hollywood.

Jeff Yang, co-author of Chan's 1998 biography, "I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action," says Chan was "born too early" for the new chapter of cinema "with Chinese actors and Chinese money playing a lot larger role in Hollywood."

"It catches Jackie on the back foot of his career, but who knows? Jackie is still the only Chinese actor, aside from maybe Jet Li, who's a top-of-mind, household name Chinese actor in the U.S."

Minkoff said he doesn't think Chan is done in Hollywood. "People said that about John Travolta before 'Pulp Fiction' — 'He'll never work in this town again.' Then suddenly he was in everything," Minkoff said. "Audiences still love Jackie."

julie.makinen@latimes.com

Nicole Liu in The Times' Beijing bureau contributed to this report.

Associated links in our archive here:
Jackie-Chan-s-La-amp-Zy (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68689-Jackie-Chan-s-La-amp-Zy)
Growing-Old-Before-Growing-Up-A-new-autobiography-by-Jackie-Chan (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68575-Growing-Old-Before-Growing-Up-A-new-autobiography-by-Jackie-Chan)
Karate Kid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=902)
Duang! (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37315-Jackie-Chan-tributes&p=1281245#post1281245)
Chinese-Zodiac-Armour-of-God-3 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?53875-Chinese-Zodiac-Armour-of-God-3&highlight=zodiac)
Police-Story-2013-a-k-a-Police-Story-Lockdown (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64488-Police-Story-2013-a-k-a-Police-Story-Lockdown)
Dragon-Blade (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67531-Dragon-Blade)
Skiptrace (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65866-Skiptrace)
Jackie-Chan-s-franchises (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56745-Jackie-Chan-s-franchises)
Forbidden Kingdom (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=758)
Jackie%92s-Charity-work (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41401-Jackie%92s-Charity-work)
Jaycee-Chan-s-PRC-drug-bust (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68330-Jaycee-Chan-s-PRC-drug-bust)
Kungfu-Yoga (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68161-Kungfu-Yoga)
I-am-Jackie-Chan-my-life-in-action (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?34799-I-am-Jackie-Chan-my-life-in-action)

GeneChing
01-27-2017, 09:59 AM
There's a nice vid if you follow the link.

Go Jackie! Kung Fu Yoga (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68161-Kung-Fu-Yoga) opens today too - worldwide!

CBS NEWS January 27, 2017, 9:40 AM
Behind China's dazzling New Year spectacle (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lunar-new-year-china-gala-behind-the-scenes-one-billion-expected-to-watch/)

Friday is Chinese New Year’s Eve, and celebrations are underway, including a televised New Year’s countdown. For a sense of just how big this is: more than 115 million people watched and streamed Super Bowl 50 last year, but one billion people are expected to watch the Lunar New Year Gala in China.

The festivities are a dazzling feast for the eyes, with over-the-top pomp that demands attention, a frenetic mix of dancers, athletes and singers, reports CBS News correspondent Adriana Diaz. She went behind the scenes to see how it all comes together.

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2017/01/27/c846b192-b1cb-4e62-981e-baaabeb92a68/resize/620x/e80ce24b5c7515268e597213dae62be0/n8nn-diaz-china-new-year-show-frame-3399.jpg
CBS NEWS

“This show is one of a kind,” said Yang Dongsheng, the TV special’s chief director and architect. “We have a wide range of routines to try appeal to everyone.”

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2017/01/27/2b26164a-65f6-4541-b9a0-a0f40d5ed540/resize/620x/737ee5c4a29d6e2958c96d44281d920a/n8nn-diaz-china-new-year-show-frame-4215.jpg
CBS NEWS

That range, of course, extends beyond the flashy stage. Propaganda, which has gained prominence under current President Xi Jinping, is also on display.

It’s a logistical high-wire act that involves 13,000 performers and cutting-edge technology.

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2017/01/27/6b8ee732-f177-453d-af9f-ad627a44a5f5/resize/620x/3e3b2c36e7ce41c042f6f8a72e457500/n8nn-diaz-china-new-year-show-frame-1486.jpg
CBS NEWS

At the rehearsals, there was no shortage of bright colors and special effects. The performers have been rehearsing for months for five hours of eye-popping TV.

Behind the scenes, we were given special access to a most bizarre backstage. The hallways were a hodgepodge of elaborate – though at times, unidentifiable – costumes.

And in what may also make this the cutest show on earth, we saw children dressed up as baby roosters. After all, 2017 is the year of the rooster.

http://cbsnews3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2017/01/27/9cf9d9ea-0b03-4f46-a766-bbe0dab48b13/resize/620x/aae6c0af745d9a26cd13c1391d5e7ee6/n8nn-diaz-china-new-year-show-frame-2420.jpg
CBS NEWS

But the tight space and tighter schedule brings its challenges, said dancer Yu Qingqing.

“We often rehearse until 1 or 2 a.m. And some don’t have time to eat at noon,” she said in Chinese.

They grab a bite whenever and wherever they can. Still, Yu said it’s well worth it.

“It means so much to us in China,” she explained. “It’s hard to make the show’s cut. Only the elites survive.”

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2017/01/27/68dc20c9-7771-45ff-a8fd-c59569158cc6/resize/620x/354c140160e83930f68d23c7df901ad8/n8nn-diaz-china-new-year-show-frame-4056.jpg
CBS NEWS

The show can launch a career and boost the celebrity of even the biggest names. Celine Dion performed in 2013. This year’s headliner, Jackie Chan, was greeted with cheers at rehearsals this week.

For Chan, and the legions of other performers in this year’s show.. the event marks not just a celebration of fresh beginnings.. but of patriotism and pride.

Jimbo
01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
There never will be another star who started at the very bottom and became so prolific and successful over so long a period of time as Jackie, will there?

I remember when Ong Bak first came out, one of the directors of the SDAFF stated that Tony Jaa is the greatest, and can do things that Jackie Chan could only dream of doing. Maybe she had only seen Jackie from Rush Hour onwards and judged him by that, because although Tony Jaa is very good, he has nowhere near the level of accomplishments, creativity, charisma, nor the vast body of work that Jackie does, and never will. No action star (or movie star period??) ever will. Jackie started appearing in films about 55 years ago now. A filmography of all of his work is so prolific it's insane. Not everything he's been in or done has been great or even very good, but that's what happens when someone's been around as long as JC has.

donnyir
02-02-2017, 01:43 PM
https://www.facebook.com/WanFengTi/posts/10154052515547522
Nice video from his JC stunt team that shows how jackie appreciate his stunt team

-N-
02-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Video and article at the link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jackie-chan-stunt-team_us_58989936e4b0c1284f26f823

Watch Jackie Chan Break Down In Tears After His Stunt Team Pays Tribute To Him

What a beautiful way to pay tribute to a legendary man.

Martial arts star and funny man Jackie Chan usually makes us explode with laughter. But this beautiful moment he shared with his stunt team had us in tears.

The original members of Jackie Chan’s stunt team honored the actor in an emotional video, detailing fond memories they had of the star. The clip was shown to Chan onstage during a Chinese TV show segment.

And as if the heartwarming tribute wasn’t sweet enough, the stunt members also snuck up behind Chan and surprised him.

The moment, which was shared on Facebook late last month, has gone viral with more than 9 million views and a whole lotta ugly crying from anyone who’s seen it.

In the tribute video, those from the older generations of “JC Stunt Team,” who’ve known Chan for decades, recalled particularly poignant memories from the early years of the star’s career. Some told stories of how a humble Chan helped and supported them financially before he had fame or fortune.

Others described the enormous impact that working with Chan had on their careers.

“Brother, I appreciate all the opportunities you have given me,” one member says through tears while addressing Chan, according to a Huffington Post translation. “Today so many people recognize me, Zhang Yaohua, because you took care of me along the way.”

Bawling yet? Well, it gets better.

Chan, who is watching the video with newer members of his stunt team, speaks to the studio audience about how he misses his original “brothers,” since he hasn’t seen them for some time. But at the 5:02 mark, he turns around, only to be shocked with the sight of his old crew before him, ecstatic to be reunited.

And of course, more tears ensue.

The appreciation that the JC Stunt Team has for the star mirrors the admiration that so many Asian-Americans, who’ve grown up watching his movies, feel for Chan. The star broke barriers as a Chinese actor in Hollywood, where few Asians are cast in speaking roles, let alone given lead roles. And last year, he solidified his place as a trailblazer when he was awarded an honorary Oscar, becoming the first Chinese actor in history to do so.

Keep on kicking ass, Jackie!

Jimbo
02-15-2017, 01:54 PM
During one of my visa stamp trips to Hong Kong (from Taiwan), I saw Jackie's stunt team setting up an action sequence for some gangster movie, at the harbor right next to the Star Ferry. This particular trip was back in 1988 or '89. JC wasn't there, but the stunt coordinators all had T shirts saying "Jackie Chan Stunt Group", or something like that. A stuntman in a trench coat had to jump from the 2nd story of a fancy boat onto a smaller, moving motorboat and shove the movie's star, Danny Lee (Cantonese: Lee Sau-Yin/Mandain: Li Hsiu-Hsien), into the water. The only padding in the motorboat for him to land on were some flattened cardboard boxes. They shot the scene 2 or 3 times during the course of a long afternoon. Every time Danny Lee got out of the water, they had to wait for him and his suit to dry enough in between takes. That harbor water is filthy, and he had to go underwater. After his scene was done, Danny Lee walked past all of us watching, smiling and high-fiving everyone on his way to shower in a washroom. Unfortunately, on the last take, the stuntman had landed badly, injuring his leg, and was taken away by ambulance.

They had an area at harbor's edge taped off. Prior to the scene being filmed, some guy and his girlfriend went under the tape and stood looking out at the water. One guy from the stunt team asked them to go back behind the tape, as they were in the shot. When the guy ignored him, he came back and asked again. The guy cursed under his breath, and the stunt guy turned back around and began cussing and rushing him, as if to fight. Another guy from his own stunt team had to restrain him and back him off. This was all spoken in Cantonese, so the only words I could understand clearly were the cuss words. At least I got a chance to see part of a Hong Kong action movie being filmed in Hong Kong, AND witness a member of JC's stunt team almost get into a fight with an a-hole.

GeneChing
07-06-2017, 09:19 AM
You can see the ad if you follow the link.

Chollywood rising (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57225-Chollywood-rising) enlists Jackie (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41790-Jackie-Chan) & Donnie (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58046-Donnie-Yen-Uber-Awesome-!!), et.al.

China requires all cinemas to show a three-minute-long propaganda video before every movie as Beijing tightens censorship (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4671142/China-requires-cinemas-propaganda-video.html)

The video was introduced into Chinese cinemas on July 1
It features celebrities such as Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen speaking
The video focuses on the 'Chinese dream' and not dissapointing your country

By Sophie Williams For Mailonline
PUBLISHED: 08:00 EDT, 6 July 2017 | UPDATED: 08:09 EDT, 6 July 2017

Cinema goers in China are now subject to watching a three-and-a-half minute long propaganda video before watching the film they were intending to see.

From now up until the 19th National People's Congress later this autumn, people will sit through the video aiming to promote national unity and 'the Chinese dream'.

The video has had a mixed response with claims that some movie-goers have been avoiding going into the screening before the advert comes on.

Screen idols star in Chinese Dream cinema campaign propaganda

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/06/11/4214B6D100000578-0-image-m-3_1499337735571.jpg
The video features many well-known Chinese figures sharing their views on China's dream

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/06/11/4214B6D900000578-0-image-a-5_1499337773740.jpg
Chan tells the audience: 'Country is good, people are good, everything will be good'

The three-minute video was produced by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT).

It will be shown from now up until the 19th People's Congress this coming autumn. During the People's Congress, President Xi will start his second five-year term as President.

According to state-media, the video aims to help people better understand party policies.

It includes famous Chinese actors such as Jackie Chan, Angelababy and recent Rogue One and IP man actor Donnie Yen.

Jackie Chan tells the audience: 'The country is good, the people are good, everyone will be good. Everyone fight for the Chinese dream, only then can you get the dream to come true. The power of the Chinese dream.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/06/11/4214B6C900000578-0-image-m-7_1499337788545.jpg
Donnie Yen reads a quote from Mao Zedong in the video shown before a feature film

The video starts out with patriotic music before saying: 'The Chinese dream is an international dream, people's dream, everyone's dream.'

Chinese actress Li Bingbing can be heard saying: 'No matter what you do, as long as you respect the country, our society, our nation and our family, you are helping us to realise the Chinese dream.'

A cinema employee in Beijing told the Global Times: 'Many came late for the movie just to avoid the short video and others complained about the video after watching the movie.'

Many people have commented on the video on Chinese site Weibo.

One user said: 'We must work hard together to create the Chinese dream!'

While another wrote: 'The Chinese dream is the dream of every Chinese person and we should encourage it.'

China makes further crackdown on its internet to curb anything that doesn't fall in line with socialist values

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/06/12/420BB1C800000578-4671142-image-a-9_1499342356567.jpg
All content posted on the internet is to be checked that it is in line with socialist values

The advert comes as China announces further measures to crack down on the country's internet.

Over the past month, Chinese regulators have closed gossip websites and restricted what videos people can post on the grounds of inappropriate content.

Last week, an industry association circulated new regulations that require all audiovisual content posted online to be checked.

Documentaries, micro movies, sports and educational material will all have to adhere to core 'socialist values.'

Topics deemed not in line with these values include drug addiction and ****sexuality.

GeneChing
10-04-2017, 08:09 AM
https://media.gq.com/photos/59b8414830bc30359f7a4203/16:9/w_1280/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC05-01.jpg
Jackie with his charges at the International Stunt Training Base. Almost all of these people have been beaten up by Jackie in a movie at some point.

Jackie Chan’s Plan to Keep Kicking Forever (https://www.gq.com/story/jackie-chans-gq-profile-2017)

Photo of Alex Pappademas
BY ALEX PAPPADEMAS
PHOTOGRAPHS BY GILLES SABRIÉ
21 hours ago

Jackie Chan is in his 60s now. His stunts aren’t as insane as they once were, but he’s back on American screens with a killer new revenge flick called The Foreigner (Jackie vs. evil James Bond!). So GQ sent Alex Pappademas to Beijing to interview the king in his castle—a vast martial-arts complex as awesome and over-the-top as Jackie Chan himself.
https://media.gq.com/photos/59b84156e98cd47a309ace1a/master/w_800/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC01-02.jpg
JUDSON BAKER/CONTOUR/GETTY IMAGES

Jackie Chan, who turned 63 this year, holds the Guinness World Record for the most credits on a single movie. (Fifteen jobs, on a movie called CZ12, or Chinese Zodiac, from 2012, starring Jackie Chan, directed by Jackie Chan, gaffed by Jackie Chan, with catering coordinated by Jackie Chan.) But in his new movie, The Foreigner, he's mostly just an actor giving a performance, a surprisingly subtle and nuanced one, as a grief-stricken London restaurateur seeking revenge on a rogue IRA faction after their bomb kills his daughter. Not counting two Kung Fu Panda sequels, The Nut Job 2, and The Lego Ninjago Movie—in which he voices, respectively, a monkey, a surly mouse, and a wise old piece of Lego—The Foreigner will be his first high-profile U.S. release since 2010, when he played Jaden Smith's mentor in a reboot of The Karate Kid, noteworthy for being a movie with "karate" in the title in which the only martial art practiced is kung fu.
He hasn't been idle this decade. Idle is not one of the speeds in Jackie Chan's gearbox. "Sometimes I look at some other actors, famous actors," he says incredulously. "They're so comfortable! After filming, just holiday! With a girlfriend or the family." After filming, Jackie tends to an ever-expanding portfolio of business interests, and then he makes more films. In the time since The Foreigner wrapped, he's already completed a science-fiction thing called Bleeding Steel, which features the first fight scene ever shot on the roof of the Sydney Opera House. But The Foreigner is a different kind of Jackie Chan movie, and a lot of people are excited about it. So today Jackie's driven 30 miles from Beijing to the Panlong Valley to visit his International Stunt Training Base and talk to some foreign visitors about the movie.

https://media.gq.com/photos/59b880f8cf689a522150619c/master/w_960/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC07-01.jpg

His International Stunt Training Base is one building in a giant Tony Stark–ass complex of several, all of which Jackie also owns. His personal logo—JACKIE intertwined with the Chinese character for "dragon"—is on its massive perforated-aluminum facade. Jackie can walk out the front door and stand at the top of the staircase leading to the limestone plaza below, look out at the green hills in the distance, and know for certain that he owns every man-made thing he can see between here and the green hills, including the chapel and the Spanish-style housing development just barely visible over the next rise.
Here, he'll show you around.
Here is an equestrian statue of Jackie Chan, made from what looks at first glance like ordinary rusty metal but turns out to be old camera equipment used on Jackie's films. Look, this klieg light, which illuminated the sets of Jackie Chan movies like Project A (1983) and Police Story (1985)? Now it's part of the horse body. It's a haunch.
Here is this legitimately ****ing incredible painting, in the trompe l'oeil style, of Jackie Chan doing kung fu on a narrow rock outcropping on the edge of a dizzyingly deep canyon, and if you stand on this one precise spot on the floor and someone takes your picture, it looks, in the picture, like you too are on the actual edge of the canyon doing kung fu, or whatever you're doing.
Here is a glass atrium with a hexagonal glass booth inside, and in the booth there is a 60-million-year-old tree, pulled out of the ocean off Shanghai not long ago and given to Jackie as a gift. Or maybe it's a 65,000-year-old tree. Honestly, Jackie is a little hard to pin down on the precise age of the tree. But it is almost definitely thousands and thousands of years old, this tree.
The glass inside the prism is moist, and the tree behind the glass is moist and seems almost to be breathing, like it is the ambassador from a planet ruled by sentient driftwood, placed within a warming prism for optimum comfort during its diplomatic visit. If you visit Jackie, he will look at the tree with you. If you ask who gave it to him, he'll say he doesn't remember, that people give him "so many presents."
It seems like it should be hard to forget who gave you a thousand(s)-year-old tree, but nothing is impossible if you are Jackie Chan.

https://media.gq.com/photos/59b880dfcf689a522150619a/master/w_800/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC03-02.jpg

Also, Jackie will give you things if you come to see him. If he sees you admiring it, Jackie will just give you a souvenir coffee-table book containing pictures of every single member past and present of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team. The book is a kind of family history of Jackie and the crews of stunt performers who've backed him up in hundreds of films and too many action scenes to count, and also a history of cool-guy haircuts for Asian men between 1976 and the present day.
Just take it. Jackie wants you to have it. It weighs as much as a modest tombstone. Jackie says, "You take," and you don't hear a question mark, because not taking the book is not an option.
"My first impression of him was, we were in Inner Mongolia, and he comes riding up on one of those electric scooters, a Segway scooter, with this beautiful green Chinese military trench coat on," says Johnny Knoxville, who made a movie called Skiptrace with Jackie in various regions of mainland China a year or so ago. "It's a gorgeous jacket. And it's so cold that day. I'm like, 'Oh, that's a wonderful jacket.' He's like, 'You like it? It's yours.' And he just gives me the jacket right off his back. I was like, 'No, I wasn't going for that,' and he's like, 'No. No. Yours.' He gave me two or three jackets on that movie."
Jackie sits in a chair in a private lounge above the main workout room of the training center. Excuse me: Jackie sits in a Louis XV–style armchair upholstered in fabric decorated with black-and-white caricatures of Jackie Chan as a skateboarding waiter in the movie Wheels on Meals and as a proud dog-dad holding his golden retrievers, Jones and J.J., back when they were puppies. There are only four chairs like this in the entire world, and all of them are in this room.

https://media.gq.com/photos/59b880ddd6b9e24d62a9972a/master/w_800/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC04-01.jpg
Jackie spars with a wooden staff while another guy does flips in the background. This place is awesome.

Jackie is wearing a tracksuit with his logo on the left breast. The tracksuit is a vibrant electric blue. Jackie is talking about CGI and how he continues to train young stunt people to do things his way, even as computers make it less and less necessary for stunt performers to put themselves in real danger the way Jackie did for years, even as computers make it possible for any actor to seem like they're doing what Jackie Chan can do.
"The new action star," Jackie is saying, "they don't know how to fight. They can use a special effect, like Spider-Man. Everyone can be Spider-Man."
He gestures toward a woman in the corner of the room.
"She can be a Superwoman. So many doubles. One of my team members [was] Wonder Woman's double. They go, pa, pa, pa, pa, pa"—he mimes a flurry of punches thrown by a double—"then [Gal Gadot] come back, just pretty, just standing here. Ha! Easy."

continued next post

GeneChing
10-04-2017, 08:09 AM
https://media.gq.com/photos/59b880cb283b77603241501c/master/w_800/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC03-01.jpghttps://media.gq.com/photos/59b880c0d6b9e24d62a99728/master/w_800/Jackie%20Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC09-01.jpg
Jackie now spends more time with his feet on the ground.

It was really him up there, getting punched, kicked, thrown through all those windows, hit by all those cars, hanging from that helicopter over Kuala Lumpur. You have never seen another movie star suffer as much cumulative physical pain and place himself in as much danger as Jackie Chan has. The way things are going, you probably never will.
Jackie speaks about five languages rather well, but because he's been working in China so much lately, his English is rustier than usual. Then again, he's always made himself understood through movement. He's been telling stories with his body his entire life.
When he talks about how he came up with a move from one of his iconic fight sequences in a movie called Snake in Eagle's Shadow, his arm becomes a cobra again, like it did the first time he did the move, practicing late one night in a hotel mirror in 1979, the night before he shot the scene.
When Chan says, "I know I'm not young anymore. I cannot continue to make Rush Hour 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. How can I continue [to] do this kind of funny face," he pretends to throw a punch and then makes a face like Holy ****, that hurt, because it can hurt to punch somebody, often as much as being punched—a truth about human frailty that Jackie made into a comic trademark, as befits the Tom Hanks of kung fu movies.

If you've lost track of Jackie since the last Rush Hour or so, one thing you need to know is that, as a filmmaker and actor, he's mostly been producing product tailored specifically for the multiplex theaters now proliferating across mainland China—lavish historical action dramas, heavy with patriotic messaging about, like, the importance of repatriating Qing dynasty artifacts and the heroism of ordinary Chinese railroad workers during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Even the nominally Western-looking Skiptrace—the one with Johnny Knoxville as Jackie's reluctant partner, directed by Finnish action auteur Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2) from a script by two Americans—was a joint U.S.-Chinese production conceived, Chan says, to showcase China's culture and natural beauty in all their vast variety.
He's bigger than he's ever been, just not in America. Skiptrace, which in all likelihood you have not seen, unless you're a Renny Harlin completist? It cost only $30 million to make and earned over USD 136 million last year, mostly in China.
Another recent Jackie movie called Kung Fu Yoga—the first product of an Indian-Chinese co-production agreement signed in New Delhi in 2014 by India's minister of Information and Broadcasting and China's director of State General Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, because that is the kind of United Nations **** that precedes the green-lighting of a Jackie Chan movie now—opened and closed in the United States within four weeks and made $362,657. In China, it made $254 million.
As of 2017, according to Forbes, Jackie was the world's 39th-highest-paid entertainer, which puts him behind Beyoncé, LeBron James, and The Rock but ahead of Kim Kardashian, Tom Cruise, and Taylor Swift.
He now has a sprawling portfolio of business interests outside the movie industry, particularly mainland-China brand-ambassador partnerships brokered through the Hong Kong–based luxury-goods importer Sparkle Roll Holdings. Around 2010, he moved his operations from Hong Kong to Beijing. Also, after years of not having been a publicly political guy in any way, the newly wealthy Jackie has become vocally and sometimes vociferously pro-China.
People say Jackie became a patriot when he got rich, or got rich because he was so willing to become a patriot. Either way, it's cost him some fans back in Hong Kong, the city of his birth. So have remarks like the ones he made in 2012, when he referred to Hong Kong as a chaotic "city of protest marches" and suggested that more stringent public-demonstration laws might help make the city great again. It wasn't the first time he'd said stuff like this, nor the last.
On one level, The Foreigner, which also stars Pierce Brosnan as a sexy, compromised Gerry Adams analogue, is a pure product of a new vertically integrated moment in Jackie's career. It was financed by Jackie and his friends at the media division of Sparkle Roll, the Chinese conglomerate Huyai Brothers Media, and STX Entertainment, the private-equity-incubated Hollywood media start-up that brought you Bad Moms.
But it's also the first must-see Jackie movie in years, a gray-lion action movie in the Taken mold, a film that builds on the fact that Jackie is not as young as he used to be, instead of pretending it's not obvious. Director Martin Campbell—best known for bridging the Brosnan and Daniel Craig eras of the James Bond franchise—keeps the action sequences fast, lean, and brutal. But like the original Taken, in which Liam Neeson's aura of lived-in sorrow elevated a fantasy about cathartic revenge and masculine über-competence, this is a movie with an actual performance at its center, one that may surprise even the biggest Chan stans.
Beginning in the late '70s, Jackie made a string of hugely successful Chinese-language action comedies in which he borrowed shamelessly from Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, and Buster Keaton, injecting the solemn martial-arts-movie formula with visual wit and suicidal daring. In the best films he made between 1978's Drunken Master (under the influence, lazy goof becomes virtuoso fighter) and 1985's Police Story (modern-day Jackie as a modern-day cop, part one of a franchise), what you're watching is one of the most brilliant physical comedians in the history of movies entering world cinema through the side door of genre (or, this being Jackie, the second-floor window).
But he hasn't done a lot of capital-A acting. He tends to play the same guy over and over, a regular dude caught up in insane circumstances, as surprised to find himself doing crazy daredevil **** as you or I would be. Like a lot of true movie stars, he's always seemed nervous about turning off the charm. Even when he staggers into an alley to puke up scotch as a tormented cop in 2004's uncharacteristically gritty New Police Story, there's something Chaplin-esque about the wobble in his legs.
The Foreigner does build to a pretty incredible close-quarters fist-and-gun fight in which Jackie, as the broken-man protagonist Mr. Quan, is seen kicking ass and weaponizing household objects like Fred Astaire dancing with a hat rack. But the movie takes quite a while to get there, and in that time a surprisingly dialed-down and vulnerable Jackie delivers a keenly affecting performance as a parent who has lost a child and knows he can't get her back no matter how many IRA goons he takes out with MacGyver-esque IEDs and punji sticks and his own bloody knuckles.
Campbell says he was a Jackie fan from way back, but he had never considered Jackie for The Foreigner, until he watched The Karate Kid.
"There's a marvelous scene where [Jackie's character] destroys this car," Campbell says. "I think it was a car crash that killed his family, and he survived, and every year he reconstructs and remodels this car to perfect condition, and on the day of their death he smashes it with a sledgehammer, as a kind of wailing wall, as it were. He's excellent in that film. That really was the clue for me that he could do this."
"If I'm [to] continue on in the film industry," Jackie says, "I have to change. Otherwise, you gone. You see—in Japan. Korea. America. China. Hong Kong. How many action star all gone? Only few can stay. Stallone's different. He's a legend. Other action stars already gone.
"So that's why I'm looking for different script, different character, different Jackie Chan. I want the audience look at Jackie Chan as an actor. Not the action star. Actor who can fight. Look at Clint Eastwood. If he continue to 'Make my day'? Gone. So he change to directing. He change some other things. Look at Al Pacino. Robert De Niro. I wanna be an Asian Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino.
"I want the movie not just finished, released, gone," Jackie says. "I want the movie 20 years later—right now, you still see Titanic. Wow! So good! Twenty years later, Avatar, still good. I don't want to make a movie, boom, finish, release one month, gone.
"The Sound of Music," Jackie Chan says. "So good!"

Jackie's first real American hit was Rumble in the Bronx, in 1995. It featured Jackie speaking English, a predominantly Western cast, and an extraordinary hovercraft chase. It was filmed in Vancouver, and there are a few shots in which the snowcapped mountains of the Bronx are clearly visible in the background.
New Line Cinema picked up the American rights to Rumble for $5 million and gave it the tagline "No fear, no stuntman, no equal"; it made $32 million and became the first Hong Kong movie ever to top the U.S. box-office charts. New Line picked up a few more of his Chinese movies and re-released them, as did Miramax. They did okay, for Americanized versions of films his cultists had already seen. One of those cultists thought he could improve on that.

continued next post

GeneChing
10-04-2017, 08:10 AM
https://media.gq.com/photos/59b880c6b78dac53f2eabf54/master/w_960/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC01-01.jpg

Brett Ratner was a 27-year-old music-video director with exactly one feature film to his credit, but he was also a Jackie Chan fanatic. He wanted to put Jackie in an edgy urban buddy-cop movie, one that would place him on equal footing with an American star instead of making him a sidekick, one where Jackie would wear a black suit and look cool. He found out Jackie was filming a movie in South Africa.
"I got on a plane," says Ratner, calling from a treadmill, "and flew 22 hours to have lunch with him. We get to the restaurant. It's a Chinese restaurant in South Africa. So weird. And he feeds me abalone. It was like a piece of rubber. And I'm chewing it and spitting it in my napkin.
"Then he gives me a glass of wine," says Ratner, who doesn't drink or smoke, "and I have to pretend like I'm drinking it. Then he's like, Let's smoke a cigar, and I'm like, Is this guy testing me? What the hell? All the things I don't do."
Ratner pitched Jackie, and Jackie listened, and didn't say yes or no, and then he drove Ratner back to the airport. A few days later Ratner got word that Jackie was in. Not long after that Jackie flew to Los Angeles so that Ratner could introduce him to his future co-star, Chris Tucker.
"They had a conversation for 30 minutes," Ratner says. "I love you Jackie Chan! You the man! And [Jackie] was all, Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you again. Halfway through, Chris says, Brett, can we talk outside for a minute? and I go, Yeah.
"And we go outside, and Chris says, Brett, Jackie Chan don't speak English! How we gon' do a movie when he don't speak English? I said, Oh, it'll be fine. Anyway. We go back in. Chris leaves. I said, Jackie, how did you like Chris? And Jackie says, I like Chris, but I don't understand how he talks. I said to myself, This is going to be ****ing genius."
Rush Hour grossed more than $140 million—it was the seventh-biggest movie of 1998, outperforming the likes of Godzilla and Deep Impact—and spawned a franchise that has so far generated more than $800 million. But it didn't really lead Jackie to great roles in good movies. In the years that followed, Hollywood basically treated him like a kids'-menu item in dreck like Around the World in 80 Days and The Spy Next Door and The Tuxedo. Rush Hour bought him a $3 million house in Beverly Hills—right down the street from Harold Lloyd's old place—and he was presented with an honorary Oscar in 2016, but he's never really been challenged and protected by an American director in quite the same way.
"Jackie has, in my opinion, gotten exploited, in a way," Ratner says. "He started doing these movies where they were making him look like a ****ing buffoon. And he went for it and he made some bad choices."
That said, Ratner adds: "I just saw the new movie"—The Foreigner—"and I thought he was brilliant in it. I always said he's a real actor. But he never got his opportunity, and I think with this new film, there's some people who are going to be surprised."

Pierce Brosnan calls from Hawaii, having just finished spearfishing, which is the most Pierce Brosnan–ish way to begin a phone call. Brosnan says Jackie acquitted himself brilliantly on the set every day, but that they never really got to know each other, because at the end of the day Jackie would hop on his jet and go home.
"I remember there were waste-disposal garbage cans on the set that were collapsible, and he just fell in love with them. He'd buy 50 of them," Brosnan says. "Really. Or on the craft service, there were these tables, and he liked the way the tables were made, so he'd buy, y'know, 12 of those, and ship them all back to China. Quite extraordinary."
This is the best anecdote Pierce Brosnan has to share, and they made an entire movie together. There were dinners scheduled, Brosnan says, but they fell through, which means that Pierce Brosnan never actually had dinner with Jackie Chan.
But I did, and what I can tell you is that if Jackie Chan invites you to his restaurant, you should go. He owns a fine-dining traditional-Chinese restaurant located near the city center of Beijing, in what was once a three-story Burberry store. Everyone who comes from out of town to visit him at the International Stunt Training Base is invited to dinner with him and his stunt team.
If Jackie Chan invites you to dinner and it takes longer for the rest of the dinner guests to arrive, you might get to sit with him beforehand in a private antechamber, and he might pull out his laptop and show you some things.
Here are some concept illustrations for some new products he wants to introduce—some kind of new take on the plastic bottle that he says Will Smith is interested in partnering with him on, modular coffee stands made of reclaimed wood and metal, so many patent applications and business ideas you will start to wish you'd brought along a prospectus for him to review.
Here are some videos. First a YouTube-style supercut of his gnarliest injuries. Then a kind of infomercial for Jackie Chan, chronicling his philanthropic efforts around the world, which begins as a somewhat uncomfortable thing to sit through in the presence of its subject and eventually floods and disables whatever part of your brain controls the cynicism response, because holy **** this guy does a lot of nice things for people, especially children.
Here's Jackie detonating land mines in Cambodia (sadly, not with his bare hands). Here's Jackie hanging out with tsunami survivors and New York City schoolkids who witnessed 9/11. Here's Jackie getting off the plane he chartered so he could fly to China's Qinghai province and comfort survivors of the 2010 Yushu earthquake. Here's Jackie donating coats to the elderly. It all starts to blur together—so many oversize checks, so many shots of Jackie high-fiving fans, the testimonials from Arnold Schwarzenegger and Zhang Yimou and Jeffrey Katzenberg and Owen Wilson and Sly Stallone.
Jackie also sings the theme song for this video, and at some point during the screening he pulls a Bluetooth speaker out of his bag and pairs it with his laptop, so we can hear his voice more clearly.
Here is Jackie, giving his time and money from Holland to Rwanda to East Timor. Here, for some reason, is Lionel Richie.
There is also a good chance that if you get to talk to Jackie in a context like this, he will talk **** about Hong Kong without even really being prompted to do so.
At one point in this conversation, Jackie tells a long and difficult-to-summarize story about how and why he came to own eight almost 400-year-old sandalwood houses from China's Anhui province. It begins many years ago, with Jackie deciding to buy a nearly 400-year-old sandalwood house, which he planned to disassemble and rebuild in Hong Kong for his aging father (who died in 2008) to live in.
continued next post

GeneChing
10-04-2017, 08:12 AM
https://media.gq.com/photos/59b880bf8354394f343cd1d4/master/w_800/Jackie-Chan-1017-GQ-FEJC02-01.jpg

Once he and his father realize that these houses, lacking air-conditioning and indoor plumbing, aren't exactly what a modern person would consider livable, Jackie decides he wants to donate what is now his collection of almost 400-year-old sandalwood houses—because of course in the meantime he's acquired seven additional nearly 400-year-old sandalwood houses, plus a pavilion and an opera stage—to the city of Hong Kong, as a historical attraction. But the fire department gives him a hard time and the politicians give him a hard time, and the story ends with Jackie donating his houses to a university in Singapore instead. The moral seems to be that Jackie had to leave Hong Kong, because Hong Kong drove him away by being a city run by jerks.
"In Hong Kong," Jackie says, "everybody know Jackie Chan. Everybody friend. But they know money, more than friend. In China, money nothing. Friend, important. They so rich in China, they say, Jackie Chan, you move in, free. I just use your name—Jackie Chan movie theater, Jackie Chan restaurant. I pay you. In Hong Kong, I know a lot of rich people—Yeah, Jackie, come on, open some restaurant—but the rental very expensive."
You can ask if it makes him feel sad, this situation, the perception in his old hometown that their hero has turned heel, and he will answer a different question.
"A lot of people ask, 'Somebody screw you on the Internet. Are you angry?' I say no. Me? So happy. If 7 billion people didn't like me, that's a problem. I must change. If only 1 million people don't like you? It's okay."
His stuntmen have arrived and arrayed themselves around a big round table. Dinner is served. Jackie does not stop moving. He ladles food onto his guests' plates, pours wine, pops up to fetch carafes of Moutai, a lethally potent clear liquor distilled from fermented sorghum. It's Jackie's own signature Moutai, produced as a tie-in product with Dragon Blade, a 2015 Jackie movie about Romans on the Silk Road that for reasons unexplained by Chinese or Roman history co-starred John Cusack.
He will give you a bottle of it. You don't even have to ask.
If you are invited to dinner at Jackie Chan's restaurant, you will be warned that he doesn't like to be interviewed while he eats, and that at some point he will rap his fists on the table, which indicates that the meal is over, and no one will linger long after that. At some point when you have all had a Moutai or two, perhaps he will get a little mellow, a little free-associative, and the table talk will go quiet so that people can listen to him speak.
He will talk about the ten years of Dickensian privation he endured as a ward of the China Drama Academy, where he learned the skills required to perform Peking opera—acting, singing, tumbling, stage combat, the roots of what he does in movies to this day—and also how to take a caning.
"You get up five o'clock in the morning. Training until five o'clock. We would never take off the shoes. You don't have time to take off the shoes. Tough training. Very tough. Hours—a thousand punch, 500 kick. Pa, pa, pa, pa, pa. Turn-around kick, hundred. Left side, hundred."
He was one of hundreds. All these boys and girls at the drama school. A few of them went on to be movie actors like he did. But only Jackie has a hundred films. Only Jackie has private jets with his name on the tail. A restaurant. All this. If you bring this up to Jackie at the right moment, he will allow himself to marvel at it, for a minute or two.
"Sometimes I look back myself. It really is a miracle," Jackie says. "So many people work very hard. Why I just come out? Lucky, yes. It's not just lucky. I work very hard, when I was young. Everybody sleeping, I still watch the mirror, to do a drunken style."
Then he pounds the table in rhythm and his stuntmen join him in pounding the table, and with that the meal is concluded.

Alex Pappademas also has the body of a vital 63-year-old man.
This story originally appeared in the October 2017 issue with the title "Still Kicking."

Jackie was just in the Bay Area. He made an appearance at the workplace of one of my shidi. He got to shake Jackie's hand and tell him what an inspiration he has been to him. I'm still jealous.

GeneChing
12-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Box-office hits suggest Jackie Chan is master of China zeitgeist (http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/arts-music/article/2125785/box-office-hits-suggest-jackie-chan-master-china)
Actor’s roles defeating foreigners nicely follow the narrative in an enormous market that welcomes Chan far more than Hong Kong does
BY CLARENCE TSUI
28 DEC 2017

https://cdn2.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/landscape/public/images/methode/2017/12/28/2d36b3a2-dfcd-11e7-af98-bc68401a7f65_1280x720_120456.JPG?itok=hOf3G7L2
Jackie Chan in his newest release, Bleeding Steel, predicted to be another big earner at the Chinese box office.

Looking back on 2017, the Hong Kong film industry’s premier torch-bearer was indisputably Kara Wai Ying-hung, who began the year by scoring her third best actress prize at the Hong Kong Film Awards, this time for her role in Happiness (2016), and ended the 12 months by winning a Golden Horse for her perfor*mance as a manipulative, well-connected Taiwanese matriarch in this year’s The Bold, the Corrupt and the Beautiful .

In between, Wai not only salvaged uneven action thriller Mrs K with her agile turn as a homemaker confronting her criminal past, but also appeared in Luc Besson-produced fantasy blockbuster The Warriors Gate , decidedly trashy Death Ouija 2, romcom 77 Heartbreaks and suspense thriller The Mysteries Family.

Only one other Hong Kong movie veteran has been able to match the 57-year-old in terms of productivity in 2017. Across the border, an actor six years her senior has graced cineplexes as a treasure-hunting archaeologist in India, a patriotic partisan in China and a grieving father avenging his daughter’s death in a terrorist attack in Britain. He has also lent his voice to Mandarin versions of The Lego Ninjago Movie and BBC documentary Earth: One Amazing Day.

https://cdn3.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2017/12/28/bd4bc9be-dfcd-11e7-af98-bc68401a7f65_1320x770_120456.JPG
Kara Wai (left), Ke-Xi Wu, and Vicky Chen in The Bold, the Corrupt, and the Beautiful . But for Chan, Wai would be Hong Kong’s busiest film star this year.

As you’re reading this, he has two films on release, playing a special agent in futuristic action-thriller Bleeding Steel , and an old shopkeeper in the Chinese adaptation of Japanese novel Miracles of the Namiya General Store .

If not for a shuffle of China’s film release schedules, he would have scored a hat-trick of appearances during the lucrative New Year’s Day holiday with a cameo in Dante Lam Chiu-yin’s military blockbuster Operation Red Sea.

Take a bow, Jackie Chan.

The action-film icon has had an extremely busy 2017, not appearing in as many films in a single calendar year since 1985, when he enjoyed leading roles in five blockbusters that grossed a total of HK$120 million at the local box office – a figure which, even before being adjusted for inflation, remains astounding. Four of those films – My Lucky Stars; Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars; Police Story; and Heart of Dragon – ended the year at the top of Hong Kong’s box office charts.

https://cdn2.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2017/12/28/c451bffc-dfcd-11e7-af98-bc68401a7f65_1320x770_120456.JPG
Jackie Chan in Miracles of the Namiya General Store.

Now perceived as passé and pompous in his home city, Chan – whose real given name, Kong-sang, translates as “born in Hong Kong” – appears in the news mostly for the wrong reasons. Once fawning over his every move and referring to him as Dai Gor (“big brother”), the local entertainment press now treats him with scorn: his frequent and invariably denigrating outbursts against Hong Kong have proven to be of much more interest than, say, his acceptance of an honorary Oscar.

Not that he seems to care, given the way he has endeared himself to consumers in China. His films Railroad Tigers (2016), Kung Fu Yoga (2017) and The Foreigner (2017) have generated 3 billion yuan (US$460 million) in ticket sales this year, with Bleeding Steel and Miracles of the Namiya General Store expected to add another billion.

If not for Jacky Wu Jing’s record-breaking Wolf Warrior 2 , Chan could easily have been China’s highest-grossing film star of 2017.

https://cdn3.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2017/12/28/313725fe-dfcd-11e7-af98-bc68401a7f65_1320x770_120456.JPG
Jackie Chan (right) in Railroad Tigers.

Far from being an anomaly, China’s embrace of Chan speaks volumes about consumption and behavioural patterns, his success illustrating China’s demand for globetrotting, sensationalist entertainment.

By any measure, Sino-Indian co-production Kung Fu Yoga is tacky and culturally tone deaf, with its comical rehashing of Indiana Jones tropes and warped caricatures of Indian culture. Released over the Lunar New Year holiday, the film eventually trumped Tsui Hark’s Journey to the West: Demons Strike Back at the Chinese box office, taking in nearly 1.75 billion yuan.

While Kung Fu Yoga might have benefited from its extended run in cinemas, as well as its release as China was courting India for the “Belt and Road Initiative”, China’s plan to grow global trade, there were many complimentary comments online about its car chases, slapstick-fuelled choreography (Chan still kicks people in the crotch), and exotic settings (India, Dubai) and characters (gaudy snake charmers and photogenic Indian actors).

https://cdn1.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2017/12/28/b86e99c6-dfcd-11e7-af98-bc68401a7f65_1320x770_120456.JPG
Jackie Chan (top, left) in a scene from Kung Fu Yoga.

Just as importantly, audiences appreciate how Chan’s heroes beat the living daylights out of foreign villains – a tendency, perhaps, that echoes China’s rise. He outwits Indian mercenaries in Kung Fu Yoga, dispatches inhuman Japanese soldiers in Railroad Tigers and runs rings around rogue paramilitary units and politicians in Northern Ireland in The Foreigner. In Bleeding Steel, Chan’s special agent is up against a cyborg played by Australian actor Callan Mulvey.

It’s easy to s******, but all this would seem like déjà vu to those who were around during Chan’s heyday of the 1980s and 90s. True to the vogue of that time, his Hong Kong block*busters could be as jingoistic as his newer China-oriented output: Chan lectures morals to corrupt expat police officers in Project A (1983), for example. He conquers Spanish hearts and cuisine in Barcelona-set Wheels on Meals (1984), and defeats a cult in Yugoslavia in Armour of God (1986). Remember Rumble in the Bronx (1995), with all those over-the-top gangsters? Then there was that battle with crooked CIA operatives in Rotterdam in Who Am I? (1998).

Ultimately, Chan’s films seem to say as much about the people making them as the people watching them – and the values with which they empathise. Maybe that’s where Chan’s relevance – for both industry researchers and sociologists – lies today: he is a barometer of who Chinese cinema-goers are, and of what they want.

Roll on then, Jackie.

Let's see now - we covered a lot of these. I'm only going to link the 2017 films because the old ones would be too much (and I luv Kara Hui aka Kara Wai Ying-hung)
Bleeding Steel (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69568-Bleeding-Steel)
Mrs K (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70438-Mrs-K)
The Warriors Gate (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67413-Enter-the-Warriors-Gate)
Ninjago (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69595-Ninjago)
Earth: One Amazing Day (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70150-BBC-s-Earth-One-Amazing-Day-with-Jackie-Chan)
Namiya (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70610-Namiya-(%26%2335299%3B%26%2324551%3B%26%2326434%3B%26%233 6135%3B%26%2324215%3B))
Railroad Tigers (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68652-Railroad-Tigers)
Kung Fu Yoga (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68161-Kung-Fu-Yoga)
The Foreigner (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68698-The-Foreigner)
Wolf Warrior 2 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70311-Wolf-Warrior-2)

And let's copy this to the Jackie Chan (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41790-Jackie-Chan) because his impact on the whole Chollywood Rising (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57225-Chollywood-rising&p=1306584#post1306584) movement is something I've been on about for years here.

GeneChing
03-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Jackie Chan: Rush Hour actor urges new law to protect China's 'national dignity' from insults
(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/jackie-chan-china-beijing-new-law-national-dignity-insults-hong-kong-a8248766.html)Martial arts film star has previously suggested it was not 'good to have freedom'
Chris Baynes 2 days ago
The Independent Online

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2018/03/09/20/jackie-chan.jpg
Jackie Chan attends a news conference during the National People's Congress in China this week REUTERS

Jackie Chan has sponsored a bill urging Beijing to introduce laws to protect China’s “national dignity” from insults.

The martial arts film star is one of 38 top political advisers who signed a proposal calling for affronts to the country’s “history, heroes and martyrs” be punishable as crimes.

State media said the proposal had been put forward amid a “worrying phenomenon in Chinese society – similar to neo-Nazism in Europe – in which people make fun of martyrs and victims of historical atrocity”.

“They are the scum of Chinese people”, Foreign Minister Wang Yi was quoted as saying.

Last month two Chinese men were detained by police after they were pictured wearing Japanese World War II army uniforms at the site of one of the conflict’s worst atrocities.

Insulting the Chinese national flag, emblem and anthem is already punishable under the country’s law.

But the advisers want to extend legislation to criminalise “affronts to Chinese dignity, history, heroes and martyrs” and “actions by Chinese citizens that promote Japanese militarism and Nazism in China”.

The proposal was put forward by He Yunao, a history professor from Nanjing University, and co-signed by 37 other members of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).

“The individual has dignity, but the nation also has dignity”, said Mr He.

Mr Chan has not commented publicly on the bill, but the Hong Kong-born action star has previously spoken in favour of China’s authoritarian rule.

“I’m not sure if it’s good to have freedom or not”, he said in 2009.

“I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.”

The remarks incensed pro-democracy legislators in Hong Kong, but Mr Chan was rewarded for his support for China’s one-party rule by an invitation in 2013 to serve on the CPPCC.

The political consultative conference gives recommendations to the National People’s Congress, although many are never followed up.

This week Mr Chan was in attendance as a delegate at the congress, where state media reported “patriotic discussions” were taking place about protecting the country’s “national dignity”.

The Independent has contacted Mr Chan’s representatives for a comment.
Jackie is getting more and more nationalistic.

GeneChing
07-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Jackie Chan is the 59th highest-paid celebrity in the world (https://gbtimes.com/jackie-chan-is-the-59th-highest-paid-celebrity-in-the-world)
by Weida Li Jul 17, 2018 11:58 ENTERTAINMENT MOVIES JACKIE CHAN

https://static.gbtimes.com/uploads/old/2017/08/24/jackie_chan_top_five_highest-paid_actor.jpg
Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan grossed an income of US$45.5m between June 1, 2017 and June 1, 2018. China News Service

Chinese kung fu star Jackie Chan ranks 59th on the list of ‘Highest-Paid Celebrities 2018’, released by US business magazine Forbes on Monday.

The list, according to Forbes, was compiled using celebrities’ pre-tax earnings between June 1, 2017 and June 1, 2018, before deducting fees for managers, lawyers and agents.

The 64-year-old action star made US$45.5m last year. He appeared in six films that came out in 2017, including starring roles in action flicks Bleeding Steel and The Foreigner. He earned extra income from a vast array of endorsements, producer credits and even his own line of movie theatres, said the magazine.

Related Articles
Jackie Chan among world’s top five highest-paid actors
Aug 24, 2017 09:02 Jackie Chan
Jackie Chan tops list of 100 highest-paid stars in China
Nov 03, 2017 11:09 movies media entertainment Wu Jing Andy Lau Zhang Ziyi Donnie Yen Fan Bingbing Jackie Chan
Jackie Chan among Forbes Celebrity 100 for third year running
Jun 14, 2017 06:53 Jackie Chan career movies
Last year, Chan grossed a total of US$49m, mainly from the Chinese mainland. The figure put him fifth in the global highest-paid actors list by Forbes.

The martial artist also topped a list of the 100 highest-paid stars in China in 2017, as he earned an average of 80 million yuan (US$12.07m) per film.

The highest earner this year is boxer Floyd Mayweather. His fight against Conor McGregor in Las Vegas in August 2017 generated more than US$550m in revenue.

American actor George Clooney is second thanks to the tequila brand Casamigos he co-founded being purchased by British alcoholic beverages company Diageo for US$700m.

American TV personality Kylie Jenner grabs the third position. Her cosmetic brand Kylie Cosmetics has sold more than US$630m worth of makeup since being established in February 2016.

The full list of the world's highest-paid celebrities can be found here (https://www.forbes.com/celebrities/list/2/#tab:overall).

He's the only Asian on the list unless you count #76 Akshay Kumar & #89 Salman Khan. #1 was Floyd Mayweather.

THREADS:
Jackie Chan (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41790-Jackie-Chan)
China's most powerful celebrities (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?51397-China-s-most-powerful-celebrities)

GeneChing
08-10-2023, 09:04 AM
Do Your Own Stunts. READ Philip Sahagun and the JC Stunt Camp (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1696) by Gene Ching

http://www.kungfumagazine.com//admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/images/ezine/6365_P-Sahagun_Lead.jpg

Jackie-Chan (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41790-Jackie-Chan)
Kung-Fu-Heroes (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57404-Kung-Fu-Heroes)

SteveLau
08-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Hey, I am watching a documentary movie titled Kung Fu Stuntman in local TV broadcast. If I remember correctly, it was made in year 2022. Hope that the documentary is available worldwide.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

YinOrYan
08-24-2023, 12:20 PM
Do Your Own Stunts. READ Philip Sahagun and the JC Stunt Camp by Gene Ching

Looks like the outlink is missing on this article. BTW, this forum has been very slow-loading for that last month or so. Wonder if its just me...

GeneChing
08-24-2023, 02:06 PM
...I've tasked our IT to check it out. He hasn't reported back yet - it's always tricky when it's a subtle issue.