PDA

View Full Version : Touch hands or cross hands?

tjmitch
06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I have heard both expressions, I was wondering if there was a consensus as to which was more accurate?

TaiChiBob
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Greetings..

Both are acceptable.. cross-hands is my preference.. but, just "get it on" works, too..

Be well...

EarthDragon
06-07-2006, 01:46 PM
yes both are fine..... funny thing is I prefer "touch hands" because I was strickly trained not to cross the hands in front of the body.....

TaiChiBob
06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Greetings..

Good point, EarthDragon.. and good advice..

Be well..

EarthDragon
06-07-2006, 02:10 PM
thank you Bob,
BTW I love to read your posts as you are perhaps one of the most eliquinted writer's on this board.
You have such a soft yet powerful way of relaying your point which is second to none. I will skip over many peoples responses but will always stop and enjoy reading yours... You are truly and kind and gentle man with a tsunami spirit.

chud
06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
yes both are fine..... funny thing is I prefer "touch hands" because I was strickly trained not to cross the hands in front of the body.....

True, gives your opponent an opportunity to trap you.

PlumDragon
06-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Personally, I see them as two words with separate meanings. Ive always thoght about them in the following way:

CROSSING HANDS: Sparring. Going head to head with intent behind the strikes.
TOUCHING HANDS: "Feeling" your opponent; a more friendly, more sensitivity based way of feeling out the ability of your opponent; testing of sensitivity, balance, coordination, etc, not so much how hard and adeptly one is at striking, etc.

Thats just me.

SPJ
06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Personally, I see them as two words with separate meanings. Ive always thoght about them in the following way:

CROSSING HANDS: Sparring. Going head to head with intent behind the strikes.
TOUCHING HANDS: "Feeling" your opponent; a more friendly, more sensitivity based way of feeling out the ability of your opponent; testing of sensitivity, balance, coordination, etc, not so much how hard and adeptly one is at striking, etc.

Thats just me.

Second that.

:D

Jingwu Man
06-08-2006, 08:57 AM
My Sigong uses "crossing the bridge" or bridging.

EarthDragon
06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
jing. ummmmmmmm perhaps he is speaking about closing the gap when touching or crossing hnads as far as the term goes. We use bridging all the time but in a different context,

one would not bridge hands meaning to engage in combat, but rather bridge to close space gap etc etc..

Jingwu Man
06-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Der!:D

I should pay more attention.

Crushing Fist
06-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Hold Hands.

:)

Ray Pina
06-09-2006, 07:29 AM
True, gives your opponent an opportunity to trap you.

Not necassirly so. Two hands crossed and supporting each other is a strong structure, especially if supported and driven off the foot. Taiji, Hsing-I, the two hands support each other a lot. They are infront of you, covering your neck and chin for a second at most, but the movement comes from center and is powerful.

But that saying is not about crossing your hands infront of yourself, it's about crossing your forearm with the other's forearm. Something that always happens in a fight unless the other guy is no good and you can just go in and beat them.

Cross hands, touch hands... same thing. I prefer "play." I'll still go at you with full intention and look to stop the fights ASAP, but in it refers to the fact that it is not a "fight," and that I won't pop the eye or kick the balls or bite an ear or do anything that is necessary to win. It is merely a test of skill. A fight is different. All is fair in love and war.

SPJ
06-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Literally, it would be exchange hands. or Jiao Shou.

Or exchange some moves or Guo Zhou.

Both fighting with some moves to see how well the other's skill and not necessarily to end the fight to a certain way.