PDA

View Full Version : Why Hung Kuen is the best

David Jamieson
06-08-2006, 08:04 AM
:D

just wanted to make a change up from all these clf threads. lol

so, Hung Gar, Hung Kuen, South Shaolin guys, win any fights lately? Reach a plateau in yoru training? need a push? wanna give a push?

post your Hung stories!

hskwarrior
06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
i'm pretty hung my goddarn self.:p

fiercest tiger
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Im 2 Inches...................FROM THE GROUND!! hahahha

HSK

Stop braggin!!!:eek:

Golden Arms
06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Hung is awesome. Its best attribute is also its weakness..so much to go through and sort through so you can find your specializations..but its awesome to see one hung 25+ year fighter specialize in extreme close fighting and takedowns, and anotehr one from the same school specialize in long range attacks and pinpoint precision to the eyes, throat, groin, neck, etc. Too bad it sucks if you dont have the time to devote to it however. Its a daunting process....

PM
06-09-2006, 01:01 AM
we had our last challenge match last October (no eyes, no throat, no groin, everything else goes, full-contact). since that time nobody dared to challenge us

Crushing Fist
06-09-2006, 07:18 AM
pm - how's the weather?

I want to go back to Prague so bad...

PM
06-10-2006, 03:02 AM
:-) weather is llittle colder than usually, but will be fine in next few days

magical prague, a trap for Americans, right

regards

dougadam
06-11-2006, 02:15 PM
There is no one best style. There are advantages and disadvantages to all.

WinterPalm
06-11-2006, 06:36 PM

Nope. Hung Kuen is the best.

David Jamieson
06-12-2006, 06:03 AM

You are clearly wrong. Hung Kuen is the best and most powerful style.
Other styles cannot compare, they are mere wilted lilies when shown next to the magnificent radiance that is the way of the Hung fist.

Get with the program Doug. Or else! chop chop! :p

Eddie
06-12-2006, 07:54 AM
you guys must hope the other CLF guys dont see this thread :cool:

oooooo I see beeeg trouble comming ;)

David Jamieson
06-12-2006, 08:01 AM
There will be no mention o that "other" art here Eddie.

hung only!
hi yahhhh!

jmd161
06-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Hung Kuen the best?

Hmmm, okay i'll go for that, but if anyone tells illusionfist i said that, i'll deny it to my death bed!!!!:D

jeff:)

DoPi
06-26-2006, 06:19 PM
ill admit hung gar is the best if there is not clf schools aroung:eek: :D

Hung Fist
06-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Hung gar is not only good for it's fighting but has great health benifits.

jo
06-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Hung gar is not only good for it's fighting but has great health benifits.

ANY excercise has great health benefits.

- jo

chasincharpchui
06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
post a clip of your guys fighting

and let us be the judge

David Jamieson
06-27-2006, 07:44 AM
post a clip of your guys fighting

and let us be the judge

you first. I want to judge you and your form first.
do you have clips? pics? anything?

so then, we are right in saying the Tiger is the strongest, hmmph.

*wipes nose in a gesture of impetuousness and drinks tea*

chasincharpchui
06-27-2006, 08:02 AM
you first. I want to judge you and your form first.
do you have clips? pics? anything?

so then, we are right in saying the Tiger is the strongest, hmmph.

*wipes nose in a gesture of impetuousness and drinks tea*

but hung kuen is the best:rolleyes: , i wanna know wat im missing out on=);)

David Jamieson
06-27-2006, 09:47 AM
but hung kuen is the best:rolleyes: , i wanna know wat im missing out on=);)

you cannot know, you cannot not know, until you go and experience it.

mantiskilla
06-27-2006, 09:59 AM
what are the health benefits outside of the obvious (i.e. cardio, strength, etc.)? what are the internal benefits?
________
ASIAN COOKING (http://www.cooking-chef.com/asian/)

WinterPalm
06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Although Hung Kuen and its plethora of derivatives are the best, CLF is okay if you want to do a Northern system...:D

David Jamieson
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
what are the health benefits outside of the obvious (i.e. cardio, strength, etc.)? what are the internal benefits?

Internal benefits.

Longevity. examples = a great deal of Hung Kuen masters live very long.

Hardness. examples = you will become like steel wire with the method, pliable, flexible and very toughened.

Health. examples =Your heart will strengthen, your breath will not taper out, your step will continue to advanced age, your muscles will serve you into advanced years, your bone will stay strong, your quality of life will be boundless with this method.

These are examples, if you do not begin, you will not know them.

When I say Hung Kuen, I mean the Fist of southern Shaolin and all it's derivatives and majour families.

mantiskilla
06-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Does this differ than what you could get from going to the gym for example? Just curious what unique health benefits it offers.
Thanks Bill
________
Watch Free Xxx (http://www.****tube.com/)

David Jamieson
06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
going to a gym is fine. what is the method is what the real question is.

going to the gym without a plan and without a method will bring you minimal benefits, if any.

going with a plan, a method and a goal is a different scenario.

There is no such thing as exclusivity. A person can find other methods, a person can do other things and find out for themselves.

The good thing about Kungfu is that all this has been done for you and all you have to do is continue to practice the method after you have learned it.

what's your goal? does bodybuilding and weight lifting have a long list of old aged practitioners?

fitness and exercise, combined with rest, water and good diet are key to many of the things that will increase longevity and increase quality of life, increase breath and increase blood flow as well as bring body balance, peace of mind and even temperament.

the thing is, the proper combination and method.

mantiskilla
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Do different forms in your system address different building exercises? For example, everyone has probably heard of the 'Iron Wire' set, does this work on external building (such as muscle, tendon, joints, etc.) or internal chi development, or both? Thanks
________
COACH PURSES (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

David Jamieson
06-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, there are many things that are addressed.

Yes, there is dynamic tension, isometric/isotonic work in the sets available.
There is tendon stretch and muscle lengthen type exercise in a form format as well.

Springiness, explosiveness, speed, power etc etc are all addressed in the forms that I personally use which are drawn from Hung Kuen, Black tiger, Sil Lum (non descript setwork or not belonging to any particular style except sil lum I.E Gum Gong Kuen).

But besides the forms, which aren't the major focus, the rest fo the regimen I use for my kungfu workout addresses fighting in the three ranges, force feedback, live training, extrapolation drills (lots of this), sparring, qigong, meditation, yoga, internal strength development exercises etc etc.

The way I use what I've learned over the years is a logical path of progression for where I'm at and what my goals are now.

I also have reincorporated western boxing exercises and western wrestling exercises and play into the mix. with a chinese twist :p

The benefits of martial arts practice is high for me. It's different for everyone I guess, but I would say that for me, the materials that are found within the Hung Kuen styles are what works best for me and my personal kungfu.

mantiskilla
06-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Understood. Just wondered what people have found in the Hung Fist sets and if there are internal sets in the system.
________
Yenko chevrolet history (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Yenko_Chevrolet)

BlueTravesty
06-28-2006, 10:53 AM
If I remember correctly, the main "internal" set in Hung is the Iron Wire set. I don't practice Hung, though when I was originally looking for a MA school I was tempted to go all the way to Miami for that reason.

Thankfully I found a good school teaching MyJhong (yes, a NORTHERN style :p ) here in good ol' Brandon, and avoided having to witness chickens being sacrificed on courthouse steps (again) to bring "good luck" for a trial to a dude who was (thankfully) convicted anyway.

David Jamieson
06-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Iron Wire set is used in the LSW lineages and variations of this set or similarly principled sets are found in other varieties of southern sil lum.

hei gong type work is not always built into forms though and more often consists of individual esoteric type works sometimes strung together.

I am not part of LSW Hung Gar or those more widespread practices and manifestations of Hung style practice, but the greater body of what I do that is drawn strictly out of chinese martial comes from the southern sil lum that is regarded as Hung Kuen or Tiger/Crane, or Nan Sil Lum etc etc.

The Black tiger I learned some years back now is heavily Hung in flavour and shares many aspects with the LSW type but has differences as well. The black tiger I've been learning in the last 4 years or so is different and same in some aspects as well.

In the end, all Hung is a good method of martial arts learning and progression.

Golden Arms
06-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh man, the term "internal" is getting thrown around..wonderful. As if its a standardized term. If by internal you mean, that the set has energy work and/or breathing, then yes Hung has this. However so does almost every chinese martial art of decent quality/in its less diluted form.

If by internal you mean does it follow the body mechanics of the taoist influenced or famed 3 (hsing-i, bagua, tai chi) then yes some of it is in there, but some of it is not stressed the same way. I personally think the term "internal" should be taken out and shot, and actually should have been long ago.

David Jamieson
06-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Oh man, the term "internal" is getting thrown around..wonderful. As if its a standardized term. If by internal you mean, that the set has energy work and/or breathing, then yes Hung has this. However so does almost every chinese martial art of decent quality/in its less diluted form.

If by internal you mean does it follow the body mechanics of the taoist influenced or famed 3 (hsing-i, bagua, tai chi) then yes some of it is in there, but some of it is not stressed the same way. I personally think the term "internal" should be taken out and shot, and actually should have been long ago.

I don't use the term myself except in the instance of Nei Gong. But that's self explanatory. :p

I too don't delineate between external adnd internal and I don't think that they are mutually exclusive and terminologically speaking, they ae simply por choices of words becaus ethey are vague and too broad.

it's all just work, time, effort and more practice. It all comes together as a single unit within the individual with time in.

CLFNole
06-28-2006, 12:59 PM
You can't have internal without external and we all practice and strive for that delicate balance; however in this day and age it would be difficult to accomplish.

TenTigers
06-29-2006, 09:05 AM
what is your concept of internal? What is external? If you are going to be throwing these words around, let's be clear on the concept. Otherwise it's simply mental masturbation. Which will cause you to go blind, in your third eye!:p

mantiskilla
06-29-2006, 09:31 AM
you're right. Ok, what I am talking about is Chi development, not body mechanics othern than related to Chi development. i.e., Hakka arts seem to share qualities which through use of certain postures seems to build and eventually distribute Chi to the extremities. At least in my experience to this point. Of course we can argue that any exercise increases Chi, etc. and we can argue over what 'Chi' is too, but I think you know what I am trying to say. I have done different arts and have felt different results from them, so there are unique properties. Thanks

oh and as far as differentiating between 'internal' and 'external' I would say that internal begins its movements from the kwa, while external never reaches that point and is somewhat disconnected from the dan tien. That is the best I can explain my thoughts on it at the moment(but what the hell do i know?:))...
________
IOLITE VARPORISERS (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

CLFNole
06-29-2006, 11:16 AM
I look at internal and external as starting from two different points to achieve the same end result. "Internal" starts "soft" and becomes "hard" whereas as "external" starts "hard" and ends "soft". The ultimate goal for both is a balance of the two extremes.

Golden Arms
06-29-2006, 12:03 PM
2 things that make this tough.....

1)Hung Gar makes lots of use of the dan tien and using it to drive the power of the movements, elemental stuff especially.

2)There are more than 2 methods of power generation in Chinese martial arts, so internal and external are very poor methods of saying pretty much nothing. Can you really group the way a Mantis guy moves, with how a Southern Mantis guy moves, with how Choy Lay Fut moves, with how Pek Wa/Pi Gua moves, and say that they are all more similar than how say hsing I and yang tai chi move? That isnt even bringing into account how much more different they feel to the touch, as well as all the non chinese specific martial arts.

mok
07-13-2006, 09:24 PM
-- TOP ten reasons to love the fist of the Hung family --

1: It's probably the archtypal 5-animal shaolin style.

2: Lam Sai Wing's utlra-sexy books - treasures that were way ahead of their time

3: WFH, baby! & The oft-imitated everybody's favourite Fu Hok Cern Yin kuen set

4: Rich in history, steeped in tradition... the rebel style from the rebel province

5: Ever notice how everybody else is always trying to best Hung Kuen?

6: taming the tiger means conquering the self first - skill through hard work

7: hard, soft, short, long, in, out, direct, low, and high - it's got it all (allmost).

8: tid Sin Kuen... "hard as iron, soft as thread"

9: between heaven and earth...

and # 10: Stand tall with integrity

steve71
07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
hi, why is hung kuen the best. I dont know, it is good but i prfer TAI CHI / CHOY LEE FUT / and the 1 i prfer most for inside work is HOP GAR very hard puch/kicks.

TenTigers
07-15-2006, 06:37 AM
let]s also add this into the mix-
it has the short bridges of Fukien White Crane,
the long bridges of Tibetan White Crane,
the Five Animals,
Five elements
creates devastating power
the ability to crash, amash and destroy with one blow,
yet has the sensitivity to flow through the opponent's strikes like water going downhill
has traps, sticking,jointlocks, and throws
vital point striking,
inch power,
and of course, LONGEVITY
(by outliving your enemies)

"Hung Kuen is the Original Mutt System" -as quoted from DF

steve71
07-16-2006, 06:50 AM
not bashing your style but hung gar is good. but do you know much about the hop gar style the name is know good if the sifu is know good.you can read of hop gar but that donot mean you know of the style or ever seen it in action. my sifu tells us to never bad mouth any style for it shows disrespect and that is not the way to be.

David Jamieson
07-16-2006, 08:19 AM
you guys who keep popping in here with your smamrmy references to white crane and clf can just go start your own threads. This thread is for exploring the wonders of being Hung. :p

and we really don't care about your other styles. so start your own threads

TenTigers
07-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Steve, re-read my post. There was never any badmouthing of Lama/Hop-Ga.
Quite the contrary, we are very aware and proud of the contributions made to our system from Wong Yun-Lum.

Fu-Pau
07-17-2006, 03:16 AM
...hey... is this the Jow Ga thread?

;) :D

Wil-Hung
08-15-2006, 03:04 PM
If there is a southern chinese kung fu section and a wing chun section, why is there no Hung Kuen section alone? Is not wing chun a southern art?

David Jamieson
08-15-2006, 03:27 PM
actually the wc-ers were given their own forum just to keep them off the other boards. That way they can all wallow in the most politically charged style of kunfu ever created. :p

street_fighter
08-15-2006, 06:08 PM
ahhh. I was wondering what that strange peaceful feeling was whenever I'm on this site... no chunners. I should have known. There really aren't enough hung ga threads, but I attribute that to it not being a contraversial style.

Hung kuen is the best because it is powerful, versitile, vast and complete, no nonsense, it has a good reputation, is deeply rooted in fighting, and a clear lineage. It is frequently the style that is the exception to MMA fanboy's "CMA sucks" rants. Its the style everyone knows is bad @$$, and no one wants to mess with. Plus, we have Wong Fei Hung, is by far the most well known martial artist, (dare I say) ever... except bruce lee... but he doesn't count... Plus lam sai wing, another super famous bad @$$ MAist, who we have direct knowledge of through lam jo, and his well documented career in MA. And who can forget the Lau's. Lau kar leung almost single handedly redefined chinese martial arts films.

kungpow
08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
streetfigther, you are a *** that needs constant, positive reinforcement.

kungpow
08-16-2006, 08:52 PM
those stars were"you are a f*g, fill in the rest.

street_fighter
08-16-2006, 11:46 PM
I don't entirely disagree... except for the f*g part. But this thread is just a silly little thread made so you can say what you like about hung kuen, and what makes it 'the best'. Thats whay I did... I take it you didn't like my chunner hating. I don't really dislike the styel, or its practitioners, but just the hastle of dealing with them. There is so much contraversy that always plagues these forums, that is really tedious and trivial. It bothers me. Thats why it feels peaceful without them here.

btw, man, I didn't know they star out ***. That kinda dumb...

Green Cloud
08-17-2006, 09:16 AM
not bashing your style but hung gar is good. but do you know much about the hop gar style the name is know good if the sifu is know good.you can read of hop gar but that donot mean you know of the style or ever seen it in action. my sifu tells us to never bad mouth any style for it shows disrespect and that is not the way to be.

Not sure what the problem is but Ten Tigers is a long time friend of mine and coming from a Lama backround his post was on the money about the influences that white crane, lama, and hop ga have had on Hung Kune.

CHAZ
08-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Everybody knows that within all good Hung Kuen practioners there is an even better CLF man waiting to get out.:D :D

LXP=06
08-17-2006, 03:10 PM
No comment :D @ CHAZ

Vajramusti
08-17-2006, 07:00 PM
actually the wc-ers were given their own forum just to keep them off the other boards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really? I see from all the discussions that Hung Gar, CLF, "Shaolin". taichi-taiji
are all antiseptic, non political, happy families-

David Jamieson
08-22-2006, 06:39 AM
see? see what you've done now? Now all the WC peeps will be in here looking for a fight because of some little off hand comment.

Once again proving my point made earlier I guess. :p

as for clf, well say what you like. I still think Hung is better in my little bubble of a world. :D

jow ga? isn't that a system made from clf and hung kuen? :p

chasincharpchui
08-23-2006, 07:15 PM
ahhh. I was wondering what that strange peaceful feeling was whenever I'm on this site... no chunners. I should have known. There really aren't enough hung ga threads, but I attribute that to it not being a contraversial style.

Hung kuen is the best because it is powerful, versitile, vast and complete, no nonsense, it has a good reputation, is deeply rooted in fighting, and a clear lineage. It is frequently the style that is the exception to MMA fanboy's "CMA sucks" rants. Its the style everyone knows is bad @$$, and no one wants to mess with. Plus, we have Wong Fei Hung, is by far the most well known martial artist, (dare I say) ever... except bruce lee... but he doesn't count... Plus lam sai wing, another super famous bad @$$ MAist, who we have direct knowledge of through lam jo, and his well documented career in MA. And who can forget the Lau's. Lau kar leung almost single handedly redefined chinese martial arts films.

actually clf is the style that everyone knows is bad A$$:)

wong fei hung is famous but the reason why he the most well known is because of the movies "once upon a time in china, iron monkey, drunken master etc" :p

and Lau Kar Leung didnt single handedly redefine chinese martial arts films, everyone knows it was Bruce Lee that did that.:D

i still dont see why hung kune is the best:confused:

street_fighter
08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Alright. Single handed redefinition might be a stretch, but one can't deny his enourmous contribution. All those old 70's KF flicks were hung kuen (mostly lau family) guys. I'd say that Hung kuen contributed to the MA film industry more than any other style (except modern wushu maybe, but that don't count), and hung doesn't even look good ^_^!

golden eagle
08-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Hung gar is a very popular style, and compared to alot of kungfu styles, IMO it is alot easier to learn. And everyone seems to dit 'it' differently! (a good thing)

Beyond looking at the gung ji, or fu hok- then looking at clf or praying mantis, most would be inclined to take the path were there are more comrades along for the ride.

Problem here is, there is a plummetting credibility of 'hung' instructors- regarless of how 'many' forms they know- articulation of the techniques is the true hung skill-

Now, I don't know much about tigerclaw clans in nyc; but I would put money on anyone with expert training in the southern mantis (conditioning and etc) would understand a style like Hung gar much deeper than someone 'inside' practicing the art for 5-10 yrs!!!

(same goes for clf, etc- it's all about the quality of the individual's understanding of every move- ...ie. articulation.)

-how could someone call hung kuen a 'mutt style'? or clf a 'northern fist?' shame. shame shame.

Wil-Hung
08-30-2006, 06:25 PM
and hung doesn't even look good ^_^!

But it DOES when G-Liu performs it!!!

TenTigers
08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
nothing wrong with being a "mutt" , it only means that Hung-Ga is a melange of technique and concepts drawn from other arts-Hung Kuen, Lo-Hon,Hop-Ga,Fukien or hakka Kuen type short bridges. It is certainly not meant in a condescending tone. A mutt is a slang term for a mixed breed.

David Jamieson
08-31-2006, 06:29 AM
Generate from the hips and waist.

Sink and root.

Upper body power.

Smashing through.

"when done right, no can defend".

Hung Kuen will smash you. :p

Wil-Hung
08-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Generate from the hips and waist.

Sink and root.

Upper body power.

Smashing through.

"when done right, no can defend".

Hung Kuen will smash you. :p

Amen,bro!! This ought to be on some HunGa banner.

Wood Dragon
09-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Any names/locations for Hung Kuen (= Hung Gar, nicht wehr?) instruction from reputable masters? Preferably North Carolina, Germany or Hawai'i (all places I might end up getting stationed next).

I've been looking to train the system, having heard time and again that it is to Kung Fu what Kyokushin is to Karate. As good a recommendation as I've ever heard.

David Jamieson
09-08-2006, 06:12 AM
There is all kinds of Hung Kuen teachers all over.

power is as obvious as weakness

Green Cloud
09-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Hung kune sucks!!!!

TenTigers
09-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Man, you been drinking without me again!!! I recognize your typing style! Wanna bet you are doing just what I'm doin'=hanging out in the kwoon, sippin on Ng Ga Pei, and typing on th pc.
GET TO BED!! IT'S 1:30 your wife's gonna kick yer azz=probably with a hung=ga technique!!!!!

Green Cloud
09-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Shoot you got me rick, you know I'm just jokin and drunk;)

Helena Handbask
10-11-2006, 09:29 PM
-- TOP ten reasons to love the fist of the Hung family --

1: It's probably the archtypal 5-animal shaolin style.

2: Lam Sai Wing's utlra-sexy books - treasures that were way ahead of their time

3: WFH, baby! & The oft-imitated everybody's favourite Fu Hok Cern Yin kuen set

4: Rich in history, steeped in tradition... the rebel style from the rebel province

5: Ever notice how everybody else is always trying to best Hung Kuen?

6: taming the tiger means conquering the self first - skill through hard work

7: hard, soft, short, long, in, out, direct, low, and high - it's got it all (allmost).

8: tid Sin Kuen... "hard as iron, soft as thread"

9: between heaven and earth...

and # 10: Stand tall with integrity

Why Hung Gar is the best; because the techniques I learned stopped me from being beaten. All other reasons are irrelavant.

The Xia
10-11-2006, 11:00 PM
A great site for those who practice Hung Gar and use the internet (or anyone else interested in the art).

http://www.hungkuen.net/