PDA

View Full Version : world cup starts friday

Shaolinlueb
06-08-2006, 08:12 PM
cant frigging wait, how many other people watch it? im gonna be pretty drunk that means :-X

jethro
06-08-2006, 08:22 PM
"world cup"

ok

MasterKiller
06-09-2006, 07:09 AM
** yawn ** World what?

Banjos_dad
06-09-2006, 07:22 AM
C'mon guys. The big yacht race ?!! Darrrhhh....:p
j/k
lol.

To paraphrase Steven Colbert's take on it last night: if we were to win, how sweet would that be: the USA winning the world championship of a sport we don't give a darn about, lmao.

To all the soccer fans, don't get mad at me. Nobody or nothing requires my validation by any means. i am no more than one dumb-@ss on an internet forum.

FuXnDajenariht
06-09-2006, 07:23 AM
soccer is gay.

Kristoffer
06-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Its called football. and no u guys wont win :)

FuXnDajenariht
06-09-2006, 07:30 AM
stephen colbert is da man tho.

but soccer is still gay

brothernumber9
06-09-2006, 07:47 AM
I've scheduled all my work lunches around match play times. World cup roxors your boxors b!tches!

It will be interesting to see the reaction the U.S. and Iranian teams get from the European crowd in the wake of all the nuclear talks/agreements/disagreements.

Having the matches in Germany, easily accessible to almost all the rest of Europe, is going to provide an unbeleivable atmosphere for the Euro teams.

Banjos_dad
06-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Colbert says things a lot of other people wish they could say but their boss won't let them. He's a little over the top sometimes. But sometimes he really nails it. Like this time.

In the last how-gay-is-soccer thread, someone pointed out the intensity with which the soccer hooligans will throw down. You have to admire that level of commitment.

We don't need to win...our women's team did that last time didn't they? Proved capable of beating everyone else, at football. And they proved to other countries that women don't need a lot of armpit hair to be competitive...:eek: A much needed lesson, but sadly, one so often unheeded.

Anthony
06-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Soccer isn't big in America, it's hardly popular at all so don't expect any enthusiasm. The world cup is one of the only events in sports that I follow though. I think it's much more interesting and fast paced than alot of other sports (baseball puts me to sleep). Plus, my parents are immigrants and since soccer is so big internationally, I guess I'm into it. I grew up in communities that were ethnically diverse so soccer was kind of like the universal language between people from different countries and who spoke different languages. I hope I get around to watching it in a bar with a few friends this time around.

Anyway, got a question. It's called the "world cup" in soccer because teams from all over the world (other countries) compete .....right? So....why is it called the "world series" in baseball if only American teams play in it?

"We don't need to win..."

Who are you speaking for?.......sure we do.....it's just that we can't. Your attitude sounds more like "sour grapes." If we don't care to win (Colbert's comment) then we should just bow out of the sport. If not, we should try to win and gain some respect in it. At least aknowledge the winners and not cry "soccer is gay" just because we can't score a goal. I mean, come on, is this the way America should represent itself in soccer.....like a whiney b.itch.

Banjos_dad
06-09-2006, 08:37 AM
spoken like a true soccer coach.... i don't see you trying to refute the arm hair thing though pal. lmao
... i was saying we aren't just burning to win the world cup as we're still savoring the victory of the womens' team, but now that you bring it up i would like to add that i can't remember hearing of the US men's team winning the world cup in the past. So either nobody gives enough of a dang to bother winning it, or even to remember it if they did lol.

^^ Ralston-Purina Lamb 'n' Rice Troll Chow / Hairball Control Formula^^

Banjos_dad
06-09-2006, 08:41 AM
is this the way America should represent itself in soccer.....like a whiney b.itch.

...add short shorts, stretchy jerseys & silly haircuts: yes... we'll be styling with the best of them lol.

Mr Punch
06-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Nicely said Anthony.

I don't really give a monkey's about footie, but I still like the World Cup, and whinging attitudes like on this thread just show up your country for a bunch of whiney b.otches completely out of touch with the world. If you don't like it why don't you just stay the **** of this thread and leave it to sink (since it is a mostly American board) or let the people who enjoy it talk about it? :rolleyes:

But no. You don't like it, so it's gay. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had a 'discussion' with some guy on another board who was trying to tell me the Superbowl was the most watched sporting event in the world. Talk about ****ing minority sports! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 1.3 billion people watched the last World Cup Final.

I'm just embarassed cos England's probably gonna get gubbed again. :o

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2006, 09:18 AM
actually baseball is the world series because we have canadian teams in there :rolleyes:

yeah man soccer isnt popular in america, btu that doesnt surprise me where NASCAR is the most watched sport. :rolleyes:

real men watch soccer not nascar.

Mr Punch
06-09-2006, 09:19 AM
So who you got Lueb? :D

Anthony? :D

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2006, 09:20 AM
i got my homeland Germany ;)

Mr Punch
06-09-2006, 09:22 AM
What a flying start!

After just 17 mins it's 2-1 to Germany vs Costa Rica!

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2006, 09:26 AM
yeah i know 2-1 already. this is decent.

FuXnDajenariht
06-09-2006, 09:52 AM
but dude...come on...it is :D

whining about whiners is still whining

Anthony
06-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Croatia. Not my homeland (my parents) but I'm bi-cultural I guess (I speak the language and have a strong connection to my roots). I'm not too hopeful because all of their good players usually leave to play for other teams. We'll see.

fa_jing
06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
World cup soccer is awesome. I wish we did have a more competitive team, though I guess I wouldn't want to give up our dominance in track & field, or north american sports in order to get it. (steering athletes towards soccer)

jethro
06-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I was watching this today(it was on tv at work) and let me get this straight:the clock moves forward?????? And then the clock just stopped during play, wtf?

Mano Mano
06-09-2006, 12:00 PM
can I just add it's FOOTBALL not Soccer what ever that is. FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL,

JuanMaldonado
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Can't wait till the US games. We probably drew the toughest group. Still, I have confidence in our boys.

phoenix-eye
06-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Mano Mano

Too right. It's FOOTBALL. Not Soccer.

The world cup is the best sporting event on the planet. It sets the "World Series" on fire and then stands back, arms folded, refusing to even p1ss on it to put out the flames.

Scotland to win!!!

******....they didn't qualify.

Trinidad & Tobago to win!!!

jethro
06-09-2006, 03:09 PM
when I played in a select soccer league(yeah, I was good) it was called soccer. And I have heard of football, you should watch it, it is a much more complex and exciting game.:D

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2006, 06:01 PM
i know its football, but im form usa where we call it soccer. if i was in anywhere else i would call it football. sorry guys.

GERMANY WON!!! oh yeah but they played crappy. ecquador beat poland 2-0. USA plays monday at 12(est) i believe.

jethro
06-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I am geetting a little mixed up. But hey, shaolinleub, USA is in the world cup? wtf. I thought only little kids play it here.

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2006, 11:44 PM
I am geetting a little mixed up. But hey, shaolinleub, USA is in the world cup? wtf. I thought only little kids play it here.

actually there are more women in the usa then anywhere in the world that play soccer (football) and its only grown stronger since the women won their world cup. also we are the only country in the world where more women play then men. in europe its like 90% re men 10% women. in the usa its like 60% women 40% men. but i guess usa is an under dog again this year (or cant be taken lightly anymore) and expecting a lot out of them. usa got some tough matches. but it should be a good bought. i think usa will make it to 2nd round.

go usa we got talent, but i always root for germany.

jethro
06-09-2006, 11:46 PM
that was a commercial not the world cup, get your facts straight:p

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2006, 11:51 PM
lol!!!!!!!!!

Hieronim
06-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I've scheduled all my work lunches around match play times. World cup roxors your boxors b!tches!

It will be interesting to see the reaction the U.S. and Iranian teams get from the European crowd in the wake of all the nuclear talks/agreements/disagreements.

Having the matches in Germany, easily accessible to almost all the rest of Europe, is going to provide an unbeleivable atmosphere for the Euro teams.

I hope we see some hooliganism. And I hope europe wins the cup back.

jethro
06-10-2006, 01:47 AM
I hope we see some hooliganism.

I always like to see players vs. fans, that is the best.

And hooliganism is spawned from hoolaginites.

Kristoffer
06-10-2006, 02:13 AM
dont have so much confidence in sweden but I think well atleast make it outta the group.

Ill miss the whole thing though coz Im away for 2 weeks... suxxxors
have a nice cup guys

fa_jing
06-10-2006, 10:14 AM
It's called an elevator, not a lift. It's called an apartment, not a flat. And we measure our weight in pounds, not stones. :D

fa_jing
06-10-2006, 10:14 AM
and it's lawyer, not barrister.;)

Shaolinlueb
06-10-2006, 12:44 PM
LOL FA JING. ENGLAND WON 1-0. sweden and trinidad was 0-0 right?

argentina is up 2 nothing against ivory coast.

phoenix-eye
06-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Trinidad and Tobago drew 0-0 with Sweden!!!

Well done the Soca Warriors!!!

They are Scotland's surrogate team in the World Cup because they got so many scottish based players.....

They also have a player called Jason SCOTLAND!!!

C'mon the Soca Boys!!! Please beat the english on thursday!!!

PE

Shaolinlueb
06-12-2006, 10:59 AM
usa lost 3-0 to czech republic

jethro
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
I guess it's casue we don't play the same game as those guys, we should call it football I guess. But what sport is the US dominant in? Basketball-hellllll no, baseball-lol, Soccer-lol even harder. I mean we can't even win in beach volleyball and that is one of the few world competitions I enjoy watching.

Hey we dominate nascar, for now:D

Shaolinlueb
06-12-2006, 12:00 PM
YEAH ITS weird. we dont even dominate basketball anymore. im actually looking forward to italay vs ghana.

jethro
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
im actually looking forward to italay vs ghana.

You sicken me:p

Shaolinlueb
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
the game is good so far. better then the usa vs czech. im rooting for ghana in this one. i hate italies team.

jethro
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
im rooting for ghana in this one. i hate "italies" team.
I can tell.

brothernumber9
06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
U.S. didn't look too good, Donovan played okay and Johnson at least had a few on goal. Reyna looked lost, and the defense looked slow. The Czechs had great D in the middle and the difference in just simple ball control, field generalship,and set pieces showed. Well at least it wasn't 5-0 like last time.

Shaolinlueb
06-12-2006, 06:08 PM
i agree, the usa looked like total @SS today!

Mr Punch
06-12-2006, 06:22 PM
we dont even dominate basketball anymore...Really? Who does? I used to really really love watching NBA.

OK, Eng vs Paraguay: we were terribly boring and conservative, and we'll be lucky to get much further against a team that can actually take the opportunities it's presented.

US vs Czech: for all FIFA's ranking the US as No 5, this was a foregone conclusion. And yes I know Czech were ranked 2, but even so, totally outclassed. I'm looking forward to watching more of the Czechs in action.

Japan vs Oz: Japan underestimated them and went for the old Oz are dirty players gag hook line and sinker. Oz play a more robust game than Japan: they go in hard, and they get up quick, even when they've been challenged hard. I thought Japan's skills were good, and their defence was tight until the last fatal few mins when they got tired, but a few of the players seemed more concerned with rolling round on the floor like a bunch of nancies at the same time as shoulder charging the Ozzies left right and centre. True, there were dodgy calls on both sides but I was disappointed in Japan's general lack of balls (not of the leather variety!) and though I started out rooting for the Japanese I wound up cheering the Ozzies on!

Don't think either side will go much further, but Oz've got some admirable spirit.

Shaolinlueb
06-13-2006, 01:18 PM
brazil for croatia is turning out to be good!

Hieronim
06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
interesting article I found on France:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2004/france/3843187.stm

FuXnDajenariht
06-13-2006, 11:36 PM
I hope we see some hooliganism.....

wow... something that u said that i finally agree with :D

no one can riot like ****y drunk angry soccer fans.

and u have good troll fu by the way.... ;)

FuXnDajenariht
06-17-2006, 09:47 AM
yaaa knooow.....soccer aint so gay after all.... :D

when does the US of A play? or did they choke out already?

FuXnDajenariht
06-17-2006, 09:57 AM
definitely better than baseball and basketball..

any sport you can headbutt stuff in is ok in my book. :D

ghana is thoroughly handing the asses of the czech players back to them.

jethro
06-17-2006, 10:13 AM
I was watching this today(it was on tv at work) and let me get this straight:the clock moves forward?????? And then the clock just stopped during play, wtf?

You are just gonna pass over that one? :p

FuXnDajenariht
06-17-2006, 10:53 AM
goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phoenix-eye
06-17-2006, 12:39 PM
ghana were excellent. totally deserved their win and it should have been more.
:D

USA doing Ok against Italy so far. Italy down to 10 men.

Brazil vs Australia tomorrow should be decent game.

PE

FuXnDajenariht
06-17-2006, 12:59 PM
USA is setting the pace of the game, they have possession about 60% of the time and their outmanuevering the Italians, but when they get to the inside they stop for some reason. there should be no reason for their to be 3 or 4 Italians players infront of the goalie and the entire American team in the midfield when one of their players goes in for a point. the rest of the team should take the initiative and help move the ball forward for the score. you can't win the way their doin it. the 1 point they do have the ****in Italians gave it to them! :rolleyes:

and yea i plan to watch Brazil. i heard they were good....

this sh!ts addictive :D

nooooow i understand why people riot... your literally jumpin in your seat when they even almost score.

i fully take back all the gay comments. ill reserve that for baseball and curling.

FuXnDajenariht
06-17-2006, 01:05 PM
thats refs a moron! :mad:

Shaolinlueb
06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
usa tied italy!!!

FuXnDajenariht
06-17-2006, 02:36 PM
that ref cost us the game in my opinion. he kicked out 2 of the US teams best players for minor offenses..... :confused:

Shaolinlueb
06-17-2006, 03:29 PM
ghana won today too. they beat the czech republic

Shaolinlueb
06-17-2006, 03:40 PM
plus also its not surprised if the refs gave us junk calls. we are the usa after all.

FuXnDajenariht
06-18-2006, 11:49 AM
******....the Aussies lost to Brazil 2-zip but i guess thats expected. they put up a good fight tho. :D

Shaolinlueb
06-18-2006, 01:20 PM
******....the Aussies lost to Brazil 2-zip but i guess thats expected. they put up a good fight tho. :D

:mad: yeah im mad about that too

FuXnDajenariht
06-18-2006, 03:15 PM
what was the final score for South Korea vs France? i saw they finally tied it but i missed the last 10 minutes..

Shaolinlueb
06-18-2006, 04:24 PM
1-1 tie :-D

Mr Punch
06-18-2006, 06:03 PM
OK, so looks like Japan is finally out. I mean if Mexico can tie on a nil-nil with Angola (who he?) any failure is still possible but I can't really see them beating Brazil in their last game in the group.

There's no way they shouldn't have beaten the Croatians yesterday... personally I would string up Yanagisawa for his cross to no-one/the keeper in front of a yawning open goal...! :mad:

And since they've obviously drilled running up the side and crossing, one wonders why there was never anybody to cross to!

Back to supporting Ingerland! :p :D

Mr Punch
06-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Pretty funny. (http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1800885,00.html)

FuXnDajenariht
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
thats ****in insane! getting ejected from a game for drinking coke when pepsi is the official sponsor or having your nikes confiscated becuz adidas sponsored the game?

just another sign of the absurd amount of power companies wield. Heineken tried to sue the Bavarian brewery for making pants advertising their beer! thats basically saying, we dont like the fact that you exist and compete with us. i think i might hafta boycott the wankers.

i thought america protecting cooperate interests were bad but atleast we have the illusion of fair competition. :rolleyes:

Mr Punch
06-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah, it's completely nuts!

The good news is however, Ingerland are through to the top 16. Arguably playing like a bunch of spanners, but Gerrard was inspired and Joe Cole's was good too. We SHOULD stuff Ecuador. Shame about Owen but I'm hoping it forces Sven to play a 4-5-1, to set up Gerrard and Lampard properly.

The US are in trouble right? If the Czechs get beaten without scoring by the Italians (not very likely given both of their forms) and the US score like... many goals to beat Ghana, they'll go through on goal difference... Maybe somebody should tell McBride there are no terrorists on the field. Hmmm, McBride huh... (http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/matchreport/0,,1800560,00.html)maybe he has some Glaswegian in him! :eek:

For him scar tissue is a secret asset. "I'm fortunate that I don't have a lot of feeling in my face because the nerves are all dead from previous operations," he said. "I've had two lots of plastic surgery around my eyes. You get hit and you get back up. I've broken all the bones in my face, just from playing football." Seven platinum plates hold together the jigsaw. "You know he's going to put his head in places others would prefer not to," said the US coach Bruce Arena.

Meanwhile, back in the jungle. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-5902650,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704)

Mr Punch
06-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Offer your support. (http://www.world-cup-info.com/photos/2002/2002_world_cup_girls_gallery.htm)

FuXnDajenariht
06-22-2006, 07:57 AM
a mother****ing penalty kick for hand contact?! are u ****in kiddin me?!

thats bum took a dive! :mad:

FuXnDajenariht
06-22-2006, 08:00 AM
now ghana is winning 2 to 1. we finally scored on our own accord and the ref blew the tie to sh!t. whos picking these people? :rolleyes:

FuXnDajenariht
06-22-2006, 08:59 AM
buncha bums.....

Shaolinlueb
06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
yeah it as bad from what i hear. but oh well. cant win them all. we were seeded what 5th? lol....

FuXnDajenariht
06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
is it me or are a couple of those announcers ghey for brazil? :rolleyes: im routin for japan. i hope they get spanked.

phoenix-eye
06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Japan out but they played very well and can be proud.

Good to see Brazil getting better and well done Ronaldo on his two goals. It's not over til the Fat Striker scores.....:D

PE

Repulsive Monkey
06-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Japan played with integrity, but Brazil turned it on and were toying with them a lot.
I would of so loved to of seen Jaapan at least get a second goal, as I think they deserved it.

That flabby b@stard Ronaldo managed to show some interest in his own country by equalising. Don't know why people bother with him nowadays.
Shame anyway.

Croatia and Australia drew 2-2

The Willow Sword
06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Well the good ole US of suck A just got owned by GHANA. although the US team DID score one of the best goals in the competition. looks like its back to normal euro futbol.

we should stick to what we do best NFL and NBA and Baseball.

As Always,,TWS

Shaolinlueb
06-23-2006, 08:40 AM
nah usa had a good chance this year. they messed up in the first game, second game did great, and the third game they played like ass.

sad thing is usa doesnt even do basketball good anymore, how well did they do in last olympics? not very well.

Hieronim
07-10-2006, 09:22 AM
http://francefighter.ytmnd.com/

http://zidaneexplains.ytmnd.com/