PDA

View Full Version : what is it called?

nickV
06-10-2006, 05:49 AM
what is it called when you step from a horse stance to a lady stance and then into a horse again and then into the lady stance and doing that over and over??i think it is called a crossed step or a side cross step but i forget.

Mano Mano
06-10-2006, 05:54 AM
What's a lady stance

David Jamieson
06-10-2006, 06:02 AM
I think he means Kao Ma, or twist horse step. It's a transistional stance found in most cma systems.

shuaichiao
06-10-2006, 06:13 AM
what is it called when you step from a horse stance to a lady stance and then into a horse again and then into the lady stance and doing that over and over??.

It's called footwork.:D

OK. Like most things in kung fu different styles have different names. I've heard it called crab walking and cross stepping most often.

nickV
06-10-2006, 09:10 AM
im pretty sure its called a cross step.

EarthDragon
06-10-2006, 11:28 AM
nickV
crossing leg or cross step.... very basic indeed,

however what the ? is a lady stance?

omarthefish
06-10-2006, 03:29 PM
lol.

First time on an English language board seeing it called a "lady stance". For those not literate in Chinese here's why:

Chinese character for 'woman':

Now picture yourself in a twist stance with your arms extended horizontally to the sides. In fact, I think the etypimology of that character might even be a pictogram of a woman cursteying.

While I'm at it, some other stances named after Chinese characters:

Dingzi Ma aka "empty stance" or "cat stance". The Chinese character 'ding':

Figure 8 stance. Chinese character 8:

Number 2 stance. Lum Saiwing calls standing with the feet paralel at about shoulders width a "number 2 stance". Like the previous 2 it's because of the position of the feet. Chinese number 2: