PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin schools in Los Angeles/OC?

zhangxihuan
06-10-2006, 07:30 AM
are there any shaolin schools in los angeles? The ones i have visited tend to mix things up (such as blending shaolin, praying mantis and "other" related arts into their cirriculum) I was wondering if there were any schools that just strictly shaolin by itself?

Lokhopkuen
06-11-2006, 06:18 AM
Try these guys:

Shaolin no additives:
http://www.kungfula.com/

Southern Shaolin
Buck Sam Kongs Hung gar

Don Hamby
http://www.quandoman.com/

Northern Shaolin

Bei Shaolin Health Academy
Los Angeles, California
Head Instructor: Sifu Dou Wanchun
Contact #: 213-598-6080
Email: beishaolin@aol.com

www.shaolinlomita.com/home.htm
Shaolin Temple Kung Fu School
24606 Narbonne Ave.
Lomita, California 90717
Head Instructor: Shifu Manuel Marquez
Contact #: 310-539-1374

BTW most Northern Shaolin people practice preying mantis........

bigdoing
06-11-2006, 10:49 AM
www.choyleefut-us.com

Lokhopkuen
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Please send our best regards to Master Ng from Master Ken Hui and Sifu Kisu.
Spoke and exchanged greeting during Chinese New Years.

peace

Lokhopkuen
06-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Please send our best regards to Master Ng from Master Ken Hui and Sifu Kisu.
We spoke and exchanged greetings during Chinese New Years.

peace

bigdoing
06-11-2006, 04:31 PM
I will send both regards. I see him on saturday.

Were having this banquet on July 29th for Chan Heungs 200th birthday.

Its $35.00 a person. I posted the info on the calendar section here.

It was a good turnout last year......

anyway, im in santa monica so I could drop some off...

my names Bryan Davis from sifu Ng's school.

Peace.

Lokhopkuen
06-11-2006, 06:13 PM
please I would like to go. send me a private and i will give you my number.

peace

ShaoliNeophyte
07-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Just out of curiousity, why didn't you list harmonious fist?

beiquan
07-12-2006, 09:43 PM
we've been known to *gasp* "mix things up" a little bit at harmonious fist... sounds like that's not what the OP is looking for :rolleyes:

ShaoliNeophyte
07-13-2006, 10:59 AM
OIC :D

I'll get back to minding my own bees-wax now ;)

Lokhopkuen
07-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Just out of curiousity, why didn't you list harmonious fist?

I thought the guy was making fun of our curriculum so I wanted to offer some alternate selections. Turns out he was not.... Have been know to shoot myself in the foot and occasionally insert foot in mouth whilst on line. Ha-ha-ha!

Peace:o

ShaoliNeophyte
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
I know that flavor all too well :)

Do you mind if I ask the origin of the 'm' in your Shaolim?

Respectfully,
ShaoliNeophyte

NorthernShaolin
07-14-2006, 09:23 AM
SN,

The 'm' in Shaolim is just a spelling in the dialect that he decided to use. Nothing unsual about that. The Chinese language has so many dialects that when it is translated, anything close to its meaning is good enough because most readers understand it is a dialect spelling transition from Chinese to English.

ShaoliNeophyte
07-14-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm having a hard enough time distinguishing my Cantonese from Mandarin :confused:

It's interesting how diverse the translations are.

Lokhopkuen
07-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Thanks NS for your explanation. My teacher says it is unimportant how you spell it in english but how you write it in Chinese ha-ha!

Shaolin= Mandarin,

Siu Lum= Cantonese.

My Sifu says Shaolim...... He speaks both.

Also the unique spelling aside from giving people something to talk about distinguishes the Ku-Yim-So-Hui linage.

Peace

n00854180t
08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey everyone from So. California.

I'm interested in the Shaolin Lomita school. Anyone know anything about it (other than stuff on the website, I've already read through)?

Lokhopkuen
08-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Great School! Please tell Master Marquez Sifu Kisu sends his regards.

Peace

ShaoliNeophyte
08-04-2006, 10:37 AM
What would you like to know about the school?

There are three main class types: (1)Northern Shaolin, From the Ku Yu Cheung lineage through Grand Master Wong Jack Man(the guy famous for his fight with Bruce Lee, and Master Kam Yuen(The fight scene coordinator from the original Kung Fu the series show) and Praying Mantis(Tai Chi, Seven Star, and Plum Blossom), (2)Southern Shaolin, from the Ark Wong lineage, and (3)Tai Chi(Yang, Chen, Wu, and Wang styles). You can cross train in the three main schools, but most focus on one for a time. I am learning the Northern Shaolin/Mantis curriculum.

I have been there about a year and a half and have the utmost respect for the Sifus. We train pretty hard(as I'm sure most Shaolin schools do), so unless you are used to a pretty strenuous workout it may take a few weeks to a month to get used to. The head instructor, Sifu Manuel Marquez, is usually there on Mondays(5:30 for Northern Shaolin, and 7:00 tai chi), so I would suggest coming down on that day to meet him. You can watch a class and participate in one for free before deciding whether or not to join.

Hope to see you around there!
ShaoliNeophyte AKA Randy

Sifu Kisu,
I can pass on your regards if you'd like.

Lokhopkuen
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks;
I ran into Manny at the Lotus Festival and we exchanged greetings.
4 sho give him my Wasup! You kindda my gung fu lil cousin ya know! Manny learned some of his Northern from Steve Baugh who is my senior (technically) classmate! Haha!

Peace

ShaoliNeophyte
08-04-2006, 10:52 PM
I must have just missed meeting you then, as I was there with the school for the Lotus Festival. Was a good day for the festival, just before all that awful heat hit.

It's always a pleasure to meet kung fu 'big' cousins, or uncles, or whatever the proper term is.

I'll be sure to pass on the "Wassup" next time I see him :)

jigahus
08-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I was interested in the MICA school in LA? What do you mean by "no additive"?

Also anyone know anything about the Hua Long classes?

http://www.kungfu.tv

Thanks,

MasterKiller
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Also anyone know anything about the Hua Long classes?

http://www.kungfu.tv

Thanks,

Do a google search for "Sifu Z"

All will be explained.

jigahus
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Do a google search for "Sifu Z"

All will be explained.

All I see is Sifu Z asking for help on how to fix his watch and cell phone on the forums?

MasterKiller
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Oh well. His program used to be discussed all over the place. I know they threatened at least one major board with lawsuits for leeching images and making fun of his content.

Maybe he reeled in all the others as well.

It used to be called Li Jia Quan, and before that it was something Shaolin.

jigahus
08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh well. His program used to be discussed all over the place. I know they threatened at least one major board with lawsuits for leeching images and making fun of his content.

Maybe he reeled in all the others as well.

It used to be called Li Jia Quan, and before that it was something Shaolin.

Mmm...okay. I try to keep an open mind. And what was the discussion regarding his content? Is it not Kung Fu? And he has trained under the Sifu of MICA (I forget the name) so shouldn't be the same?

thanks MasterKiller for answering my questions so far. I don't want to open up any bad blood so a PM would be fine.

Thanks,

Lokhopkuen
08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I got a chance to meet Master Larry once. He seems a nice enough fellow and was willing to explain their system to me. I got the impression they are a "Kung Fu for Health" group as opposed to a martial oriented club. I had never heard of any of the styles or Masters except Master Rossi. He is sincere in his intent and they seem to have following so I would not want to say anything to knock them down. After all reputation is everything....

Peace

jigahus
08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
How about my other question regarding Master Rossi's school. What do you mean with Shaolin no additives?

Any thoughts about MICA's Kung Fu?

Shaolin no additives:

Thanks

Lokhopkuen
09-04-2006, 05:01 PM
How about my other question regarding Master Rossi's school. What do you mean with Shaolin no additives?

Shaolin no additives:

Thanks

Without being mean spirited I was poking fun at them.

If there is any Shaolin being practiced there,

they hide it well.......

Pk_StyLeZ
09-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Shaolin no additives:

Thanks

http://www.kungfula.com/new-photos/Budda-Squat-Michael.jpg
dude i love that picture and the captions for it...
*Sifu Rossi Performs The Extremely Difficult "Buddha Squat"*
what so hard about that pose??or *squat*.....

Lokhopkuen
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Unfortunately I have made the mistake over and again making casual venomous statements in these on line forums so let me say here that it is easy to find fault with the martial arts of others especially from the isolation of our living and work spaces.
The photo of Sifu Rossi performing the squat is impressive in that his posture is excellent. The posture is three part stand straight, sit straight, stand straight again repeat. He looks strong.

Peace

brucereiter
09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately I have made the mistake over and again making casual venomous statements in these on line forums so let me say here that it is easy to find fault with the martial arts of others especially from the isolation of our living and work spaces.
The photo of Sifu Rossi performing the squat is impressive in that his posture is excellent. The posture is three part stand straight, sit straight, stand straight again repeat. He looks strong.

Peace

this was on another board
http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=Xing;action=display;num=1156486629
... try it!
i challenge all eF'ers to do a and or some pistols!

a) if you can already perform pistols....prove it. post a video. then you are excused, please don't bother us anymore.

b) if you can not currently perform pistols here's an article to get you started.

http://www.fullkontact.com/a_pistol.html

you've got 90 days!

to all those brave enough, a video is required after the 90 days.

i fall in between group a and b. i can do a 3/4 pistol. but as most of you know, i had a back injury which is lingering a little, so i have trouble at the bottom.

Pk_StyLeZ
09-04-2006, 08:56 PM

Peace

posture is excellent?his leg is bent..not even straight out....he is leaning forward and not back straight either.
not excellent to me..i can do the same

*to the guy on top*
i can do the pistol easily...but too bad i dont have a camera to record my self
i can even do a *pop up* onto one leg and *pistol* up on that same leg...but once again.,..too bad no camera..maybe i iwll use my cell phone..hmm....

brucereiter
09-04-2006, 09:14 PM
posture is excellent?his leg is bent..note ven straight out....he is leaning forward and not back straight either.
not excellent to me..i can do the same

*to the guy on top*
i can do the pistol easily...but too bad i dont have a camera to record my self
i can even do a *pop up* onto one leg and *pistol* up on that same leg...but once again.,..too bad no camera..maybe i iwll use my cell phone..hmm....

if i were to guess you weigh less than 175lbs.

if a "pistol" is easy for you i might suggest wearing a weight vest and wrist, ankel weights and holding positions at different spots while doing the exercise.

please remember what is easy to you might be difficult for others ...

respect!

Pk_StyLeZ
09-04-2006, 09:19 PM
if i were to guess you weigh less than 175lbs.

if a "pistol" is easy for you i might suggest wearing a weight vest and wrist, ankel weights and holding positions at different spots while doing the exercise.

please remember what is easy to you might be difficult for others ...

respect!

yeah i do weigh less then 175 pound....a pistol isnt that hard...it takes more balance then strength in my opinion
before when i was activly hardcore training, i would do 300-400 squats everydayy. i would do them in sets of 50-100 at a time.
so yeah..that how i got the strength to do pistols =)
but i am out of shape now..lol =D

and in my opinion, no need to wear weight vest or anything other extra weights. why? just increase the reps if you want to get stronger =)

brucereiter
09-04-2006, 11:42 PM
yeah i do weigh less then 175 pound....a pistol isnt that hard...it takes more balance then strength in my opinion
before when i was activly hardcore training, i would do 300-400 squats everydayy. i would do them in sets of 50-100 at a time.
so yeah..that how i got the strength to do pistols =)
but i am out of shape now..lol =D

and in my opinion, no need to wear weight vest or anything other extra weights. why? just increase the reps if you want to get stronger =)

try it ... there are benefits to both trains of thought i.e. more reps or more weight ... i suggest to try both ... your speed and stamina will increase.

Pk_StyLeZ
09-05-2006, 07:04 AM
try it ... there are benefits to both trains of thought i.e. more reps or more weight ... i suggest to try both ... your speed and stamina will increase.

no thank you
unless you are going to the buy weighted vest for me and stuff =)

jigahus
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Without being mean spirited I was poking fun at them.

If there is any Shaolin being practiced there,

they hide it well.......

Ya I don't know of any Shaolin kung fu styles that has a Japanese Shinai stick form. So ya.

Dam it's pretty hard to find a style that I want to study in around my area.

jigahus
09-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I was looking at other schools around my area.

Any comments about these schools?

http://www.wutangmountain.com/

http://www.wrightskungfuacademy.com/

http://www.whitelotuskungfu.com/