PDA

View Full Version : Video: Shaolin, Tongbei, Mantis, Ba Gua in Japan

SPJ
06-11-2006, 07:57 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8305532329225892994

This is a very good clip showing basic exercises and apps.

How to defend against basic kicks etc.

Have fun.

Comment.

:)

SPJ
06-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Warning:

More than an hour clip.

Very good Ba Gua apps in the end. so worth the wait.

:)

BruceSteveRoy
06-12-2006, 04:54 AM
i havent watched it yet bc work blocks google video but it raises a question that i was hoping someone can answer. i have asked in the past about TCMA schools in okinawa but i was wondering if anyone knows of any other schools in Japan. I might be moving there in a couple of years and am trying to plan ahead. As far as i can tell i will be moving to either Yokosuka, okinawa, or sasebo. if anyone has any info i'd appreciate it. regards,
~steve

Ray Pina
06-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Had to turn it off halfway through, partialy because as work, partially from boredom.

Form, I'm pretty sure you know my feeling on that.

And those applications.... the attacker makes one move while the defender makes several. No one fights that way. I see a lot of Ba Gua videos where it's Ba Gua form against Ba Gua form. No one fights that way. No one engages that way.

This is a complete fantasy.

Why is there never any real footage?

I'm going to have to compile a quick sneak preview of some of the stuff I've been collecting. I'll try to post it before weeks end.

SPJ
06-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes. there are "looong" intro narated by the chair of "Chinese boxing methods association". especially my Japanese is rather limited.

I do like the exercise of shoulder relaxation from Tong Bei, finger strengthening from Iron palm method. These are stressed in their Ba Gua basic trainings.

I also like the basic stepping exercises in Ba Gua.

It is a demo and intro clip and sorry it is not a real fight clip.

--

Ray Pina
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Please don't get me wrong, I don't need to see a "fight clip,", but I want to see something practical and useful.

I see a lot of people walking in a circle with no drive, no pushing angle. I see a lot of people swimming in the air with no connectedness.

I can see good Hsing-I and see power and not have to see a fight. Or, the guy can lose the fights, but I can see his training has given him power. He's got something.

Or, I can see a Ba Gua guy walking and see he can drive off the back foot, but yet, look, somehow he has made his front foot the backfoot;) , somehow he creates the same pushing angle with his front foot that most only get from his backfoot;) ...... whoa! I guess that guy can maintain steady pressure then. He won't get caught flat footded.

I guess if you can apply that to kicking you won't be caught with vertical balance, your back leg will be driving your kicking leg ------> so you're kind of kicking with both legs.

That's what I want to see. I want to see some guys with something useful to say. But walking in a circle with your back hand held down by your belly button = form but no understanding. I know some, especially Chinese, don't want to hear this from some 32 year old American. But I'm studying from the man who studied with Grandmaster Wong Tsung Fe, who had Grandmaster Gung Bo Tien live with him, who studied with Great grandmaster Dong He Chuan. We have a very careful eye, a high standard.

Sorry.

EarthDragon
06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
hang on Ray..... you said

That's what I want to see. I want to see some guys with something useful to say. But walking in a circle with your back hand held down by your belly button = form but no understanding. I know some, especially Chinese, don't want to hear this from some 32 year old American. But I'm studying from the man who studied with Grandmaster Wong Tsung Fe, who had Grandmaster Gung Bo Tien live with him, who studied with Great grandmaster Dong He Chuan. We have a very careful eye, a high standard.

perhaps its the understanding that you dont have???

so your studying from a chinese man why dont you ask him about Bagua so it will help you understand?

so this careful eye of yours can be judged in 2 years or less? according to your post on the other thread the chinese B.S as you called it so why are you studying from the BS chinese? they cant fight you said many times...?? Im confused

Mr Punch
06-12-2006, 11:40 PM
i have asked in the past about TCMA schools in okinawa but i was wondering if anyone knows of any other schools in Japan. I might be moving there in a couple of years and am trying to plan ahead. As far as i can tell i will be moving to either Yokosuka, okinawa, or sasebo. ~steveDunno where Sasebo is.

Dunno bout Okinawa.

But Yokosuka is in easy distance from Yokohama and there should be somehting reasonable down there in Chinatown. I know of a few leads: so PM me closer to the time with something more specific.